By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Balsa skin on wing
01/10/2019 12:18:28

I cannot remember any 70 inch model being skinned in .8mm ply but the Mike Wittard Miles Hawk was skinned in .4mm ( 1/64 ) ply and might be a comparable model. But 1/64 ply now costs over 7 pounds a square foot! Could be that you might save weight and cost in covering material though.

Presumably a model skinned in .8mm could have the wing structure minimised to take account of the extra strength of the ply. All depends on whether the .8mm ply would bend nicely to the rib shape.

Thread: Balsacraft Limbo Dancer IC
30/09/2019 20:13:38

I would expect the Enya 40SS would be a very good engine for this model - my 40SS have proved very powerful even though they are the plain bearing version ( they were used in various .40 size models not a Limbo ) quite lightweight too. I would rate them better than the OS LA 40 which is not in the same league!

Thread: Who wants to share a new Flair Baronette build?
30/09/2019 17:50:39

I had a motor lead unsolder itself because the gold 3.5 mm connector was slightly loose in the socket and the heat created by sparking was enough to melt solder! The motor stopped in flight and even when landed and the hatch removed to look at the wires it was far too hot to touch,

But I am going to suggest that Simon's problem may have been the poor quality joint passed enough current normally but that under maximum load ( all the servos working at once?) it was not sufficient.

Thread: Balsacraft Limbo Dancer IC
30/09/2019 16:22:45

Whilst a lightweight powerful engine seems a good idea if it's an old used model it might be worth checking whether it would need some weight to get the CG right. If it does need weight then not so much point in getting a lightweight engine. So maybe the Enya 46 after all ( is that a 4 stroke?)

If anybody has built an electric Limbo Dancer then I would be interested to know how you got access to the Lipo. I have the electric kit to build but the instructions are not very helpful. it seem the wing has to be removed, so I wonder if anyone has put a hatch ( for connecting) on top in front of the wing.

Thread: Who wants to share a new Flair Baronette build?
30/09/2019 12:35:34

Personally I would suspect the ESC ( if it is used to power the Rx too)

I had a similar sort of incident with a new model on first flight and brand new ESC. Everything worked perfectly, then everything failed, hit the long grass with minimal damage ( lucky) Afterwards everything worked! A 'soak' test on the bench revealed a momentary failure of power which suggested ESC faulty. It just glitched once for a moment, wouldn't do it again. Replaced ESC and it's never happened since. I cut the leads off the old ESC so it cannot be used! That was a model with Futaba FAAST radio.

My view is to never trust any of the radio gear unless you find a definite fault and rectify. A very good reason for not buying expensive Tx that could not be scrapped!

Edited By kc on 30/09/2019 12:49:48

Thread: Taurus retro aerobatic build
29/09/2019 17:18:32

I notice that a set of Taurus wing ribs and other parts are available from a different source, doesn't include the plan or canopy and perhaps not the fuselage sides etc but much cheaper at 47 pounds inc postage. Lots of other wing rib sets from iGull too

Bubble canopies are available from Vortex Vacform for about 9 pounds

Plan and original article are on Outerzone

also on that Outerzone site are some details of shortening ( !)  the fuselage for proportional RC and changes to the CG position which may be of more interest.

There is also a 60 inch span version for electric power on Outerzone

Edited By kc on 29/09/2019 17:39:56

Thread: indestructible slow flyer....
28/09/2019 19:20:27

Quite a few kits around still - look at

SLEC

DB Sport & Scale

Bill Kits

Mick Reeves Models

Belair kits

Chris Foss ( not just the ARTF but the balsa kits)

Sarik Hobbies for plans and some pre cut parts

The most economical way to build is from the 'free' plans in RCME most months - the latest has 7 plans.

Edited By kc on 28/09/2019 19:25:26

Edited By kc on 28/09/2019 19:30:40

Thread: A newbie trying to save some money
28/09/2019 17:58:00

I am a Mode 1 pilot because that was the mode at my local clubs and I flew there for 24 years. When I moved house and joined the local club I found it was Mode 2 except for one other person. Obviously I wouldn't change my way of flying so thats the way it is Mode 1 flier in a Mode 2 club.

However 1 incident illustrates the problem. I was at the field with just one other member who was flying his biplane - suddenly his phone rang and he said " take it will you " I was expecting to be handed his mobile phone and was busy thinking ' should I say to the caller "hold on a moment he is flying his toy plane " or is it better to say " he' s driving hold on" when he thrust the Transmitter in my hands not the phone! As you can guess he was a Mode 2 pilot and I was caught somewhat unaware! My instinct was to close the throttle a bit - but of course thats UP elevator on his mode and entirely wrong which made me realise instantly it was the wrong mode.  Steering around the sky is the same so I just managed to overcome my instincts and do the opposite to normal with throttle and elevator for long enough to give it back to him when he finished his phone call! The model - a Puppeteer - slow flying and easy to fly lived to fly another day!

So I have good reason to say fly your clubs mode. Having said that there are those who can fly both modes well. But I wouldnt try it again except in an emergency - reason is instinct saves your model when things go wrong.

Edited By kc on 28/09/2019 18:05:27

28/09/2019 16:44:15

Obviously one should learn the same Mode as your club and instructor. This means any member could grab your Tx in an emergency etc, but it also means you might get invited to have a go with someone elses model when you are good enough. This is very useful for experience.

It is interesting that Mode 1 always uses both hands while Mode 2 fliers can sometimes use one hand only if they want ( elevator & ailerons being the controls used almost all the time on fast models)

If the experts who consider that different sides of the brain operate left hand and right hands are correct then it may be easier and theoretically better to fly Mode 1 because its using both sides of the brain!

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
28/09/2019 10:29:42

People seem to have misunderstood the situation - only Spektrum Tx imported into UK before 2015 will work on both DSM2 and DSMX, after that it was illegal to import and Tx only work on DSMX. Not talking about Rx just TX.

So it's irrelevant whether the Rx are Orange or genuine Spektrum. But if the Rx are not DSMX they wont work with post 2015 UK transmitters..

27/09/2019 19:12:33

This has nothing to do with whether the Rx are Orange brand or not. Both Orange and Spektrum made Rx for DSM2 and DSMX.

All the older Rx would have worked with all the Spektrum Tx if the EU had not stopped DSM2 transmitters being imported into EU. It is just a question of whether Martin's older Rx are DSMX or not . If they are NOT DSMX they won't work with Tx imported after Jan 2015.

The seller of a post 2015 Tx will not be able to assure you if he does not know what your Rx are.   

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 19:17:01

27/09/2019 17:22:24

No i don't claim to know that much about radio but I am just stating what it says elswhere! Its a confusing situation so let's hope Peter Christie and other experts can confirm or deny what I say so that forum members are aware of accurate info.

The problem is the Tx curently sold in UK won't work with DSM2 Rx.   So a secondhand Tx may or may not work depending on when it was imported.    Currently sold Rx on the other hand will work. 

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 17:43:36

27/09/2019 17:05:40

Piers- sorry to argue with you but it's not a question of whether the latest Rx is compatible its a question of whether latest EU /UK spec DSMX only TX will work with older NON DSMX Rx - they won't. Check out Hobby King where they sell an Orange Transmitter to EU spec (DSMX only ) and an International version DSM2 & DSMX ( illegal to import into EU - maybe Boris can change this for England)

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 17:08:55

27/09/2019 16:36:14

My DX6i is of the later DSMX only type and won't work with the old DSM2 Rx if I understand the situation correctly. I expected that this may be the same with certain ages of DX7 - that is older TX would work OK with DSM2 Rx but that later Tx sold in UK & EU would not work with DSM2 Rx so needed a DSMX Rx. For a while there were certain models of Orange Rx being sold quite cheaply and I assume that was because they would not work with the latest DSMX only Tx.

Basically very old Spektrum TX will work with any Spektrum Rx but later UK & EU spec Spektrum Tx will only work with DSMX Rx   ( EU regs that came into force 1st Jan a couple of years back)   I don't think this has anything to do with being Orange or genuine Spektrum - its the same situation.  DSMX RECEIVERS are backwards compatible while late type DSMX only type Tx are not.

.If I have got this wrong then no doubt someone will tell us!

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 16:44:31

27/09/2019 13:38:58

I don't know much about DX7 as i am a DX6i user ( later type which is DSMX only ) so I may be complicating things but.......

It occurs to me that nobody so far has mentioned to check whether the DX7 is DSMX only or is DSM2 & DSMX. Same with the RX.

Thread: A newbie trying to save some money
26/09/2019 12:56:28

Buying secondhand stuff from swopmeets or Ebay etc is for those who know enough about the equipment and not for beginners! The sort of bargains Paul mentioned are rare anyway.

It is common for clubs to find a newcomer has bought equip that is quite unsuitable and therefore wasted money. Often the models are too small - most clubs like 50 to 60 inch wingspan for visibility at height- or the radio is unsuitable for the clubs instructors to connect their buddy lead.

So the advice to visit a club and see what is required is correct. Ask whether the club can provide tuition,  flys both glow and electric, are there better hours for electric, and what Mode the club teaches ( Mode 1 throttle right or Mode 2 throttle left ) Most equipment sold now is Mode 2 but some clubs are Mode 1. You don't want to learn one mode and then change to another. It's also not very handy to be a mode1 flyer in a Mode 2 club or vice versa. I am a Mode 1 flier in a Mode 2 club and it means nobody can grab my Tx if something happens ( dirt in eye, stung by a wasp or heart attack etc!) and be certain of saving the plane.

It is quite likely the club will suggest a Spektrum DX6 as a good start - beware the cheaper Spektrums which come complete with models but which don't have all the features you may want. Some clubs are mostly Spektrum, some mostly Futaba but are rarely Taranis. If you buy some unusual make you may need to buy a second transmitter to use for a buddy system as the instructor will probably use Spektrum or Futaba.

Edited By kc on 26/09/2019 12:59:01

Thread: Collapse of Thomas Cook
25/09/2019 12:52:45

2 things now seem inevitable-

1. credit card companies will charge a greater percentage fee on holiday bookings ( which we will pay if we are sensible and pay by credit card - this week has proved that to be worthwhile)

2. Hotels will put something in their small print on the form we sign at check in that makes the guest responsible for the charges if the tour operator fails to pay. And the small print is likely to be in a foreign language too and we may not notice it until too late!

25/09/2019 12:41:51

Reports in the last few days suggest Travel companies only pay the hotels some weeks after than the actual holiday ( hence the problems the unfortunate holidaymakers have at the moment with hotels trying to charge them for what they have already paid ) but.........everyone pays for their holiday in advance - sometimes months in advance. So with this business model how could they fail?

Thread: The Repair Shop
25/09/2019 09:16:41

Who will be the first aeromodeller to take their crashed plane into the Repair Shop and ask THEM to repair it!

Frankly it would be a much better programme if it concentrated on repairing the items which really should be repaired - computers, mobile phones, TV's, video recorders of all types, washing machines, fridges etc - rather than being dumped and replaced by new. But of course that would need real skill unlike mending Teddy bears!

Thread: Complete newbie.
24/09/2019 13:34:32

Most if not all clubs will allow non members to visit and see what it's all about. Most clubs prefer that you visit and see what the most suitable models and radio are BEFORE you buy the wrong stuff. In particular it's best to have the radio make that is used by the club for instruction.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us