By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Privett

Here is a list of all the postings John Privett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MOT.
25/03/2020 19:15:55

My MOT was actually due on 30 March, the date the 6 month extension starts. I'm not sure if that means I'd have been granted the extra 6 months or not!

It doesn't matter for me though, I had it done last Thursday, so I'm good for another 52 and a half weeks. I'm not at all surprised that the extension has been announced.

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
19/03/2020 19:23:48
Posted by iqon on 19/03/2020 17:07:24:

Not looking good.

Indeed, no great surprise really, but Dutch and Spanish "postponed", and Monaco cancelled.

That takes us to the end of May. But surely there will be more cancellations and postponements... sad

More here.

13/03/2020 00:06:47
Posted by McG 6969 on 12/03/2020 20:47:30:

Hi all,

Well john, it's not officially cancelled yet. Announcement to be made tomorrow morning Aussie time before FP1. But then the drivers already voted against it... frown

Well, no surprise, it's now official.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
12/03/2020 20:29:10

I can fully understand clubs cancelling/postponing AGMS, indoor meetings, etc.

But surely keeping the field open would make more sense, and allowing members to make their own decisions about the risks of attending in the open air. That's assuming we get any flyable weather this side of Christmas...

12/03/2020 20:24:02

Look on the positive side folks... At least we'll all come out of the first GP weekend of the year in equal TOP place.

I do wonder how long we'll remain there though. It may be some time...

At work we've already had an international travel ban in place, and now even travel between our UK offices is only to be permitted in business-critical circumstances. We are being strongly encouraged to work from home where we can. My sister is on a cruise that went through half the Panama Canal today. Panama (the country) refused to allow them to leave the ship so they are now en route to the next port - if they will accept them. Their cruise line announced today they are abandoning all cruises for the next 2 months. The cruise they are on will continue - if it can - to its final port, others are being cut short. We are living in unusual times right now.

08/03/2020 11:31:57

I've also seen this morning that spectators will be barred from the Bahrain GP. Access will be restricted to participants and "the race weekend itself will still go ahead as a televised event."

I saw the news that people in the Lombardy region of Italy will need "special permission to travel" - I hadn't considered any effect that may have on Ferrari though... Perhaps the FIA - who seem to be reverting back to their old role as Ferrari International Assistance - can help plead their case if permission is needed...

It's going to be a bumpy start to the season!

04/03/2020 21:32:34

You're right Chris - John, take a look at the foot of page 140, when I last posted the league.

There are 14 of us listed there, with you in 14th place... smile p

(Though to be fair, it does also say, "Rankings are random until after Australia" )

Just over a week to go... smile d

Edited By John Privett on 04/03/2020 21:32:56

Thread: Servo Voltage
03/03/2020 20:59:21

Good question Roger! That's a bit higher than a 4.8v battery, but not as high as a 5-cell, 6v one.

Looking at the FutabaUSA datasheet they say;

"Using the supply voltage higher than 4.8V or applying high load to the servo will shorten the life."

My take on that is that you may get a shorter life from the servo, but as long as it's not heavily loaded maybe not a problem. I suspect there are people using these servos on 5-cell batteries without even realising that it's advised against.

Let's see what others reckon!

03/03/2020 19:35:01

Roger - 5.0v shouldn't be a problem.

An 'old-style' 4.8v NiMH or NiCd starts at well over 5v when freshly charged - I often get readings on my telemetry of 5.2v in the first few minutes from models equipped with them.

They just mean don't use a 5-cell (6v) NiMH or higher.

01/03/2020 10:25:37

Great - we can see you now Don!

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
Rankings are random until after Australia
1 00 2020 Vision johnpflyrc 0
2 00 Iqonic racing iqon 0
3 00 GASTON Formula Chris McG 0
4 00 Crashtestdummies Brake Test 0
5 00 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 0
6 00 PSS Power Flyer 0
7 00 Essex Racing Tony Clark 0
8 00 Pitts Specials john stones 0
9 00 AeroArrows Bondaero 0
10 00 Revers Racing Pete B 0
11 00 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 0
12 00 Roos Racers rk295 0
13 00 The improved Webby Racing team Simon Webb 0
14 00 teewrex John Tee 0

So that's 14 of us so far, and obviously I'm in top place at the moment. Whaddya mean, "Rankings are random until after Australia"? Oh well, a man can dream, can't he?

Less than two weeks to go until Melbourne! Don't forget your predictions! wink 2

01/03/2020 01:18:07

Hi - welcome aboard Don!

Hopefully Chris's instructions will get you into our league, though I don't see your team there yet. Just shout if you get stuck and we'll try to assist.

As for team selection and predictions tips... You can ask, but we'll be of no help whatsoever! thinking

And I have to agree Pete - that Alpha (cen?)Tauri paint scheme looks weird!

28/02/2020 20:12:13

Hmmm... well I now have a team.

But I can't help feeling that the 'unlimited changes until Bahrain' might be put to good use this time round!

28/02/2020 10:28:37

One of my work colleagues reckoned that the pro account doesn't give any extra budget this year. I haven't checked of that's true or not...

24/02/2020 00:36:11

Nice one Simon - "The improved Webby Racing team" It certainly wins the 'longest team name' award in our league. So far... teeth 2

So here is the list as it stands tonight. Plenty of room for more to join...

Rankings are random until after Australia
1 00 2020 Vision johnpflyrc 0
2 00 PSS Power Flyer 0
3 00 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 0
4 00 Pitts Specials john stones 0
5 00 Revers Racing Pete B 0
6 00 Roos Racers rk295 0
7 00 The improved Webby Racing team Simon Webb 0
8 00 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 0
9 00 GASTON Formula Chris McG 0
10 00 teewrex John Tee 0
11 00 Essex Racing Tony Clark 0
12 00 Iqonic racing iqon 0
Thread: CAA ID number discussion
22/02/2020 09:50:55
Posted by i12fly on 21/02/2020 22:36:27:

My OP came through at 19.33 hrs, must be on overtime.....

Like Peter Jenkins above, it has got the "making use of a CAA general exemption" clause, so it looks like they caught up this afternoon.

The last of my "no-email" members has just received their notification via the club email account. Dated Saturday 22 Feb at 08:46. Are we sure Doris and her mates aren't behind this? And working w/end overtime?

And his does mention the CAA general exception. As did another one that came via the club yeseterday at 6pm. But not the third one (arrived Monday) or mine (yesterday morning.) Ho hum...

Thread: Winter is here....who's been flying?
21/02/2020 21:51:36
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 17:46:42:

You'll be pleased to know that the pampered and privileged South has had its share of wet and windy weather since the New Year but we've managed to fly on a weekly basis with suitable models.

And in my part of the pampered and privileged South I haven't flown since the 8th Feb. That was the weekend of Storm Ciara, but Saturday was only dreary and dismal so I got a couple of flights, unlike the following day which was wet and windy.

The next weekend (Storm Dennis) was wet and WINDY both days, so no flying. This coming weekend (22/23 Feb) looks like being windy tomorrow (23mph, gustng to 41 at noon) and slightly worse with possible rain on Sunday.

I guess I did fly a fair bit in January!

Edited By John Privett on 21/02/2020 21:52:27

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
21/02/2020 21:44:58

Mine arrived at 11:44 today, and also has no mention of the exemption in the paragraph about Flyer IDs, even though I qualify for it. I guess Doris and her mates (from page 2!) must be randomly sending two different versions of the email...

Most of us who qualify for the Flyer ID exemption will already know about it, so it's not too much of an issue. But it hardly inspires confidence in the CAA that they actually halted the issue of IDs to correct the error in the email, yet afterwards still managed to send out the wrong version to some of us.

Meanwhile my Vectis card arrived today too, so that's good.

21/02/2020 13:16:52

Mine's arrived in the last hour. thumbs up

I'm slightly surprised that in the mixed alphas and numerics my ID includes a 'Z' which when quickly looked at in 3mm-high lettering could easily be read as a '2', and also a 'Q' which could be mistaken for 'O' or '0'.

Still, with over 78 billion possible numbers, even if somebody reported my number, mis-quoting the Z and Q, it would be an amazing coincidence if that matched somebody else's number.

But I think my number would get a lot of points in a scrabble game... nerd

20/02/2020 19:29:44
Posted by Scott Edwards 2 on 20/02/2020 15:45:21:

Here's the truth - under their glossy veneer, all IT systems are held together with sticky tape and bits of string, and bodged up by fat idiots like me.

Hey, don't knock it, Scott - it keeps some of us in a job!

And I was wrong about the envelope I saw via my security camera. There's always tomorrow..; wink 2

20/02/2020 13:37:13

Thanks for the update Andy!

I do hope you're right about Doris. It's just that the slow 'drip-feed' of IDs being sent out strongly suggests to many of us that Doris and her mates really are busily typing away, rather than a quick batch upload being run with emails being generated and automatically sent.

Still, with the latest exemption until the end of June it matters rather less now. Even if some are left wondering if we even needed to send our £9 last year if we're now unconditionally exempt until July.

I can however see, via my security camera, an envelope with what appears to be a BMFA logo on the floor in my porch - so maybe my membership card has arrived.

Keep up the good work Andy - we do appreciate it, even if we do moan and grumble a bit, especially when the weather is bad... wink 2

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
CADMA
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us