By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Privett

Here is a list of all the postings John Privett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
26/05/2019 23:00:01

OK then... Hot off the press, the fantasygp results are now in. So how did we all do today? Let's take a look...

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 172
2 Roos Racers rk295ELITE 156
3 iqon racing iqon 149
4 Pitts Specials john stones 149
5 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 142
6 Revers Racing Pete B 134
7 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 134
8 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 129
9 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 126
10 PSS Power Flyer 122
11 Essex Racing Tony Clark 118
12 GASTON Formula Chris McG 110
13 teewrex John Tee 94
14 AeroArrows Bondaero 81
15 Torque of the devil Stu 58

Well, well... better than I'd expected! My 172 points today seems to be our top score. Robin is up next with 156 and Iqon ties with John S for 3rd place on 149 points each.

How does this affect the overall table? That's up next.

Edited By John Privett on 26/05/2019 23:14:48

25/05/2019 21:26:06

Well Lewis seemed to be slightly on the back foot for most of quali, but then the final lap... where did that come from?

Watching the in-car footage towards the end of the lap I thought he'd blown it - but no, up came the time in purple. At least that's one prediction I've got right!

I've also put Leclerc for fastest lap - if he's still well down the field towards the closing stages then a tactical pit-stop could see him going for the fastest lap point. But let's not count our chickens, eh? dont know

24/05/2019 20:03:06

Thanks Chris for reminding everybody and for your summary of practice. No, I wasn't upgrading my team... no cash left!

So I'm off to do my predictions now, so I'll only remind you once...

Don't forget your predictions!

14/05/2019 21:07:46

Just seen that Zandvoort has been announced as being back on the calendar for 2020.

Thanks for the pics, Pete. The A380 looks very familiar, we get lots of those over our flying site at Epsom Downs - though fortunately a good deal higher than 1,000 feet! (Usually about 9,000 ft)

12/05/2019 20:52:04

Here is the overall table after Spain;

Pos

Places Gained/

Lost

Team Manager Pts
1 +2 Pitts Specials john stones 746
2 +2 Roos Racers rk295ELITE 732
3 -2 GASTON Formula Chris McG 728
4 -2 PSS Power Flyer 726
5 +2 Revers Racing Pete B 692
6 0 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 690
7 -2 iqon racing iqon 688
8 0 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 659
9 +1 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 635
10 -1 AeroArrows Bondaero 597
11 +1 Torque of the devil Stu 569
12 -1 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 568
13 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 528
14 0 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 514
15 0 teewrex John Tee 464

Lots of place changes today!

At the top, John S and Robin both move up 2 places to 1st and 2nd, which means that Chris and Flyer drop 2 places to 3rd and 4th respectively.

Pete, making good use of his inside information (you knew I was going to say that, Pete!) moves up 2 to 5th, displacing Iqon down 2 to 7th, leaving Kev as our first non-mover of the day in 6th.

Gary holds on to 8th whilst my win today moves me up a place to 9th, pushing Bondaero down to 10th.

Finally Stu and Simon swap places taking 11th and 12th, the remaining places remain unchanged.

Up next is Monaco in two weeks. Can Mercedes continue their winning streak around the streets of Monaco?

12/05/2019 20:41:56

As channel 4's coverage has now reached the end of the race, here are the results for our league for Spain;

Pos

Team Manager Pts
1 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 158
2 Pitts Specials john stones 154
3 Roos Racers rk295ELITE 149
4 Revers Racing Pete B 139
5 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 138
6 Torque of the devil Stu 134
7 PSS Power Flyer 131
8 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 123
9 GASTON Formula Chris McG 119
10 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 116
11 iqon racing iqon 112
12 AeroArrows Bondaero 110
13 Essex Racing Tony Clark 105
14 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 103
15 teewrex John Tee 99

Top place, with 158 points is... me. smile o (For once, prediction after prediction fell into place for me!)

Close behind - only 4 points behind - was John S. And only 5 points behind John was Robin on 149 points. Well done John and Robin.

Pete "inside knowledge" B is next on 139, a single point ahead of Gary.

Up next, where does this leave the overall table?

12/05/2019 12:26:49

Nice one John!

And Chris, you're probably right...

12/05/2019 12:00:54

Chris, I attribute it to "genius". smile d

Well, it's either that or madness - the dividing line between the two can be quite thin! dont know

12/05/2019 11:45:30

Pete - good to hear from you, and to know that we have a 'rep' on-site to ensure fair play in the race for our league members!

Look forward to seeing your pics later - if can get one of Lewis crossing the finishing line in 1st place, with Bottas and LeClerc following then that will be great! thumbs up

(Preferably also after 1 safety car, Vettel getting fastest lap, and Ricciardo finishing somewhere in 9-14th that would be better still, make up for my failed pole prediction! But I realise I may be asking a lot there...)

Thread: CAA registration consulation
11/05/2019 17:43:53
Posted by Martin Harris on 11/05/2019 01:12:50:

Will big company commercial fleet operators come under these arrangements? I thought there was a separate (and existing) scheme for commercial operators.

From what was said on the video posted yesterday, interviewing the man from the CAA, at around 8 minutes into it they talk about commercial operators and it seems from the answer that they are being asked ot register again on the new scheme even though they are already registered with the CAA. Something about European use and "future-proofing" seemed to be some of the reasons given for that...

10/05/2019 22:58:49
Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/05/2019 21:30:11:

I have no problem in having to sit the stupid test I more object to the erroneous message it sends out that once passed you are safe to fly.

That's one thing that concerned me too from the CAA man on the video. More than once he implied that simply by being registered, and passing an online test, we would then have a piece of paper we could wave under the nose of anybody to "prove" that we were qualified and competent to fly.

No, that's a word that would probably get me barred from here, so I'll just say 'rubbish'.

Otherwise why do learner car drivers have to do their theory test at an examination centre under controlled conditions? And why do they then have to follow it up with a practical driving test? Why do they not just get their driving licence by doing (over and over again, helped by friends if need be) an online test? Obviously we all know why, but the government don't seem to...

And it does seem more clear who the real beneficiaries of this scheme will be, the future big company commercial operators who will happily pay their £16.50 (or £100, or whatever it's gone up to by then due to the lower number than expected registering) for their entire fleet of drones.

10/05/2019 21:11:03

Thanks for the reminder Chris!

No, I haven't gone to Barcelona, just been a bit busy...

I'm sure we'll see some photos from Pete in due course, and some excuses from him when he fails to predict the winner despite his "inside information" gleaned from being there... smile d

So, I've switched my team around, like I intended to do before Baku, so I'm sure we'll now a swing away from Mercedes as a result of my team switch. But what to predict?

Final practice is at 11am UK time tomorrow with qualifying at 2pm and the race at 2:10 on Sunday.

Once again, with no live terrestrial converage I'll leave the posting of results until after channel 4 viewers have seen the race - and please, no 'spoilers' until after the ch.4 coverage.

Oh, and once again - I've got to say it, haven't I! (even though Chris has already done so)

Don't forget your predictions! thumbs up

04/05/2019 10:57:18

That's a promising start, Andy! I've circulated that to all our club members (after circulating them the original announcement last week.)

I've also seen links to a petition on change.org - https://www.change.org/p/caa-bmfa-members-to-be-exempt-from-the-charge-proposal-for-uk-drone-registration-scheme

What are your thoughts on this? Should we be encouraging people to sign that too?

30/04/2019 23:38:07
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 30/04/2019 22:07:49:

Regarding the above 40,000 `drone` users, this infers that the BBC appear to think that this is the current number of quadcopter operators currently in this country. How can we put them right on this? It would mean that nearly all BMFA members own one!

I read it to mean "drone" operators in the widest sense of the word, and the 4 organisations would be the BMFA, SAA, LMA and FPV UK.

That would make something around 40,000 users wouldn't it? Maybe a few more, maybe a few less if you discount duplicates between the organisations?

Thread: RED ARROWS
30/04/2019 21:58:04

Thanks for the post, Jo! Always good to see the Red arrows...

Red Arrows - Duxford 2016
30/04/2019 21:11:51

The BBC have picked up the story now. See here.

They start off commenting about the high fee and comparing it to the French, Irish and US schemes. Several people and organisations ( though not the BMFA) get a mention in the article.

One interesting quote towards the end of the article states;

"Four of the largest drone associations, which represent 40,000 users between them, are understood to be exploring whether they are able to act as the registered operator for all of their members' drones and model aircraft."

Might mean the £16.50 fee might have to go up a little if only 4 'operators' register!

28/04/2019 21:42:31
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 28/04/2019 21:34:21:

There's a gang of four of us heading down the road to Barcelona in a fortnight, so I'd like to think a bit of on-the-spot knowledge will help, but somehow I doubt it!teeth 2

Pete

I think there's a rule somewhere that states there's a 100 point penalty for having "a bit of on-the-spot knowledge." wink 2 Obviously my "inside knowledge" from driving half the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montréal last summer doesn't count...

Enjoy Barcelona, Pete! I'm sure you'll post some pics as usual. thumbs up

28/04/2019 20:40:08

There are changes in all but 4 places today;

Pos Gain/Loss Team Manager Pts
1 +1 GASTON Formula Chris McG 609
2 +4 PSS Power Flyer 595
3 0 Pitts Specials john stones 592
4 -3 Roos Racers rk295ELITE 583
5 0 iqon racing iqon 576
6 -2 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 567
7 0 Revers Racing Pete B 553
8 0 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 521
9 +2 AeroArrows Bondaero 487
10 -1 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 477
11 -1 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 465
12 +1 Torque of the devil Stu 435
13 -1 Essex Racing Tony Clark 423
14 +1 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 398
15 -1 teewrex John Tee 365

Chris moves up to top today, and Flyer's top score today moves him up 4 places to second. John S remains 3rd.

Robin's 10th place today means he slips 3 places to 4th. Kev is also moving downwards, with a two place drop to 6th.

Up two places to 9th is Bondaero, menaing I drop a place to 10th and Simon drops a place to 11th. Stu and Tony swap places, as do Charles and John Tee.

I'm off now to revise my team! I was going to after China, but later thought better of it... Not this time!

Next up is Spain and Barcelona in 2 weeks time.

28/04/2019 20:29:28

Not as many safety cars as I'd expected, but as the channel 4 coverage has now reached the end of the race here is how we all did today;

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 PSS Power Flyer 180
2 Pitts Specials john stones 163
3 iqon racing iqon 157
4 Revers Racing Pete B 155
5 GASTON Formula Chris McG 155
6 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 140
7 AeroArrows Bondaero 139
8 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 126
9 Torque of the devil Stu 123
10 Roos Racers rk295ELITE 120
11 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 113
12 Essex Racing Tony Clark 111
13 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 105
14 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 101
15 teewrex John Tee 67

Top scorer today with 180 points is Flyer - well done! Second was John Stones with 163 points and Iqon third with 157.

Pete and Chris must also get a mention for only being 2 points further back.

So, up next, what does this mean for the overal table...

28/04/2019 11:00:18
Posted by David Mellor on 28/04/2019 10:21:02:

If you want an example of how that plays out in the media, look at the first guy they arrested for the Gatwick drone-induced shut down. He was an innocent aeromodeller. For a short while the press had a feeding frenzy because it looked like they had caught the person responsible for stopping thousands of passengers from jetting off to their holidays or meeting up with friends and family. His name was leaked and plenty of people knew where he lived and wanted to give him grief (or harm, in some cases). All because of drone idiots. Let us not join them or be like them.

Just a reminder of how vicious the 'holier-than-thou' press were in this case, here is the front page of the national publication concerned (I can't describe it as a newspaper.)

Other reports the 'press' published shortly afterwards went out ot their way to show pictures of the couples house with the street name prominently displayed in the pictures.

So let's not give the press any excuses to pull this sort of stunt again...

I don't like the scheme the CAA have come up with. I responded to it on Friday evening with the arguments already mentioned, in particular describing their estimate of 170,000 people likely to register as laughable.

I really don't know if our responses - and hopefully there will be a lot of responses - will make any difference, but the way forward in my view, is not to not register - that would just put us firmly in the position of being part of the "problem"...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us