By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: HK black friday ?
01/12/2019 03:16:56

Things at HK are a bit strained at the moment. They are basically in survival mode with some rather far ranging changes afoot, probably involving divesting some of their non core activities and concentrating on what has been successful for them - aircraft lines (with parts) and, to a lesser extent, quads and copters. They have had the cyber sale going for a couple of months to try and generate some cash and have scrapped the Australian marketing dept (no more lovely Eleanor). Here's a fb comment (I have posted before) from the horses mouth which gives an indication of some of the issues they are facing.

hobbyking2.jpg

hobbyking.jpg

Thread: Hobby king delivery charges
13/11/2019 13:06:01

Things at HK are a bit fluid at the moment with some rather far ranging changes afoot, probably involving divesting some of their non core activities and concentrating on what has been successful for them - aircraft lines (with parts) and, to a lesser extent, quads and copters. Here's a fb comment from the horses mouth which gives an indication of some of the issues they are facing

hobbyking2.jpg

hobbyking.jpg

Thread: Hobbyking Skipper
21/10/2019 14:27:23

I have had a lot of fun with the Skipper and it's big brother the Polaris Ultra. Via a convoluted pathway involving double dealing, back stabbing and Chinese trickery the PU became the HK Skipper XL. They are really versatile models and some of my favourite toys. For a bit of a giggle I fitted some CL-415 inspired fins to the PU - they actually seem to make it a bit more stable in windy conditions.

fins.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
05/10/2019 20:59:04

I have been intrigued by this aircraft for some time and was looking at some pics just the other day.

24.jpg

24b.jpg

24a.jpg

Thread: Dynam Waco?
17/09/2019 03:06:12

Hi Simon, I have been flying one for a couple of years and would have to say that it is one of the best bang for a buck planes I have - partly 'cause it was pretty cheap to start with laugh

It is Dynam, so needs a bit of work - mainly cosmetic though. The tail fin was warped on mine, but I think it may have been a batch thing as others found the same thing at the time - got it fixed with a bit of heat though.

Dynam's ESCs are a bit ordinary, so I swapped it out for a Plush 60 which has worked well. I used the Dynam one in a medium sized glider and it has worked OK, but stutters a bit on start up.

No incidence problems - the struts, carbanes and landing struts are bare metal so most folks paint them - either matching yellow or black.

I gave the whole airframe two coats of WBPU to protect the paint from scuffs and give it a nice shine.

I drilled a hole through the firewall to let extra air into the electronics bay.

You have to provide your own pilot/s.

I fly it with a 3000mAh 4S 45C battery which balances it just right.

One small issue with flying it (and it's not the airframes fault) is that the landing gear spats get full of gunk if you are flying off a muddy field. I just try and avoid this and don't taxi the model if it is on a dirt strip. I nipped a 1/8 inch strip off the bottom of the spats to improve ground clearance

Really a fun model to fly - here's a vid of the maiden flight: **LINK**

waco airflow.jpg

waco2.jpg

waco4.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 17/09/2019 03:16:53

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
14/09/2019 22:01:22
Posted by Dad_flyer on 14/09/2019 21:33:41:

Paulo, that's different. What is it?

Build thread is here: **LINK**

And some more pics here: **LINK**

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
11/09/2019 02:47:28
Posted by Phil Cooke on 10/09/2019 19:36:26:

Some more photos from Saturdays successful PSSA Fly-In

**LINK**

Thanks Phil, really enjoyed those. It's great to see such a good turnout of fliers and I expect there were a few more who missed the group pic as well.

Thread: Gerry Anderson Thunderbird 2
11/09/2019 01:58:42

Chris, the (PSS?) sloper was a scratch build. Here's a vid (which shows some of the construction at the beginning):

Thread: HK Skycat?
11/09/2019 01:17:28

Yes it is! I take it you are referring to the FlyCat. Our very own Dom has done a neat review vid here: **LINK**

The model flies and handles very well - my only real concern is that the EDF unit (being on the cheaper side of things) is very rowdy and will cause a lot of annoyance to local folks if the model is flown in parks. It's fine for club flying, if the other members don't mind the EDF whine (see some of the comments from the vid). The modern commercial EDF units sound like jets and are really cool, so I would be interested if HK brings out an ARF version of the FlyCat sometime.

Edited By KiwiKid on 11/09/2019 01:30:14

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
10/09/2019 15:12:24

Thanks Andy. Good to know - it was a great build.

Edited By KiwiKid on 10/09/2019 15:13:02

10/09/2019 12:57:28

Thanks for the pics - great stuff. Just wondering if Jez's AW52 has flown yet - she has been ready to go for over a year.

aw52.jpg

Thread: Gerry Anderson Thunderbird 2
09/09/2019 03:59:26

How are you planning to power it? A couple of scalish EDFs might work.

You will also have to decide how far away from true scale you want to go. At the extreme end is this scratch built sloper that has been extruded to maximise lift and reduce drag.

thunderbird_2.jpg

thunderbird 2.jpg

Thread: Terrysaur
22/08/2019 15:50:12
Posted by Lindsay Todd on 20/08/2019 23:27:40:

Oh I love that, is that a kit?

Hi Lindsay - just received confirmation that it was a scratch build.

21/08/2019 13:10:46
Posted by Lindsay Todd on 20/08/2019 23:27:40:

Oh I love that, is that a kit?

I will try and find out - suspect it was scratch built. Quite a bit of aeronautics going on with that wing. I wouldn't think the tail would be very effective as it is in the turbulence off the large head. Without an elevator it is basically a flying wing operating with elevons.

Here's a fb link to a vid: https://www.facebook.com/isabelle.descroix.58/videos/vb.100006570003703/2498519303710379/?type=3 

archaeopteryx3.jpg

archaeopteryx5.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 21/08/2019 13:36:12

21/08/2019 02:14:01
Posted by Stephen Jones on 20/08/2019 23:34:40:

Me too.

Just love it . dare i say it, I think it is better than the Funky Chicken.

Steve

John Woodfield can even make the Funky Chicken look good smiley

20/08/2019 02:57:22

That's a great achievement Lindsay, particularly for a scratch build - brilliant! I have an idea to build a ptero type glider based on an existing flying wing so will get to it one day.

This archaeopteryx type glider was seen on a slope just last weekend near Millau, France smiley

archaeopteryx.jpg

archaeopteryx2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 20/08/2019 03:00:53

Thread: John woodfield soarers
20/08/2019 01:59:00

John's models and videos are a work of art, ably assisted by an awesome slope (generating phenominal lift) that seems to exist in a micro climate of consistently fine weather with on shore breezes. Here's his latest project!

**LINK**

gigant.jpg

Thread: What is the minimum slope for a slope soarer?...
18/08/2019 11:33:43

Hi Martin - there are quite a few models that will fly well off a small slope. A PSS model is not generally one of them though o/a of the generally high wing loading compared to a dedicated glider. DLGs generally have a 1.5m wingspan, but there are smaller 1m w/s versions that might suit what you have available. There are also small foam flying wings available that are fun. Here's a vid I shot years ago in poor light at a small man made lake, just pottering around with a variety of models - in order of appearance are: home made DLG, Dreamflight Alula wing, home made EPP Eagle, Elegance glider, Bird of Time glider.

**LINK**

Thread: Fieseler Storch
14/08/2019 01:33:23

Good luck with the build Martin.

Here's a link an RCG build: **LINK**

And a summary of the pics in the thread: **LINK**

storch.jpg

Thread: Terrysaur
07/08/2019 02:49:01

Very nice build Lindsay - that's a great blend of scale form and functionality. Building a Pteranodon has been an itch I have wanted to scratch for some time. I built an eagle sloper which has been very successful and a lot of fun. Looking forward to the build blog.

Eddie the Eagle

Eddie launch

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/08/2019 02:51:45

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us