By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parallel charging multi Lipo packs
02/10/2016 20:45:40

I have always put the batteries through a battery checker before charging, mainly to make sure I don't have a bad cell, but I guess that process is also confirming that the balance lead is OK.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2018
02/10/2016 06:53:03

Woot!

buff.jpg

Thread: Red and White training colours Jet Provost
02/10/2016 06:44:48

This one could do with a bit of a move - its being used as a horse jump!

jp.jpg

jp2.jpg

jp3.jpg

Thread: PSS Models FOR SALE or WANTED
26/09/2016 23:44:22

If nothing turns up, a quick bit of balsa whittling could get the job done. You can then trace the tip airfoil onto the tank, dremel out a recess and attach the tank with some Velcro.

finished.jpg

The Velcro comes in handy for the odd oopsie laugh

fouga landing.jpg

Thread: Large RC Saab Gripen crash
25/09/2016 10:03:58

There were apparently six incidents at the JetPower 2016 event. This comment from one attendee: "This [the Gripen] was not the worst incident at the show IMO. As we arrived early Friday we were watching a sports jet fly, when it lost half of its wing. With amazing control, the pilot somehow managed to complete 3/4 of a circuit and "land" the model on the runway. There was nothing left of the airframe, so I could not actually identify the model type. Whilst the pilot could get full marks for skill, he scores zero for intelligence. He had acres of grass to safely dump the model on, and had a softer landing. But personally I would have grounded the guy because he was flying a barely controlled, high speed model, at one point directly towards the crowd. No imagination! Clearly the safety of the public and other pilots was less important than this guys ego."

24/09/2016 21:41:09

Dang - double post. Well, better fill it up with something useful - my PSS Learjet laugh

learjetflying3.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 24/09/2016 21:51:02

24/09/2016 21:39:17

Ya canna get more English than a curry house laugh

Thread: why do people feel compelled to build such large models?
24/09/2016 21:28:05

There definitely appears to be a strong case of one upmanship in Europe and, particularly, Germany where they have been in a war over the last 5 yrs seeing who can make the biggest RC jet out of wood - like this 1:1 scale BD-5 with two turbines.

bd5.jpg

And the glider boys are not far behind.

large eta glider.jpg

And some have "issues" laugh

overcompensatin.jpg

Thread: Large RC Saab Gripen crash
23/09/2016 13:36:46
Posted by Martin Harris on 23/09/2016 13:15:48:

Looking at the splendid low speed handling and short take off and landing rolls, I wonder if it was built too lightly so that it could comply with model qualification rules?

Could well be. I was just reading a detailed post from an RC jet jock it the States who calculated that a model of that size would have to weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 500kg to withstand the aerodynamic forces it would encounter if flown in anything but a sedate manner. As it came in at under 100kg, his comment was that it was made of tissue paper.

Thread: servo extention leads
13/09/2016 19:47:49

Great info here - as recommended I always like to add some 12.5mm Toroidal ferrite ring coated noise suppressors to each servo wire for a bit of noise control on long run jobs. I have never been quite sure at which point they are needed lengthwise, but they don't weigh much and provide good insurance. I added some ailerons to my Chris Foss HiPhase which work very well (o/a the shallow dihedral) with no issues.

hiphase.jpg

Thread: PSS A-4 Skyhawk - The completed model thread
09/09/2016 19:58:25
Posted by Graham Foster on 08/09/2016 15:51:04:

Finally finished my A4 originally built by Mike "electric" Austin. Balanced right on with no ballast.

Sorry I can't make it to the Great Orme, hope you guys have a great day despite the dodgy weather forecast.

Here's your pic Graham.

scooter.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 09/09/2016 19:58:44

Thread: A box Tail, IS It That Good An Idea
09/09/2016 19:52:04
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 09/09/2016 14:45:09:

Sorry fellers, for some reason the link doesn't work

If you copy and paste the URL into a new page the PDF seems to work.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
03/09/2016 09:28:00

I have been flying my Luft '46 Horten Amerika bomber for ten years and she was getting a bit tatty, so I stripped her nekid, strengthened the framework a bit and gave her some new glad rags.

horten1a.jpg

horten1d.jpg

tauhara4a.jpg

29/08/2016 17:12:19

Dang, that vid made me go all misty eyed smiley

Always loved that camo job - it might work too well for a sloper though.

Packin' heat.

camo.jpg

Thread: Bombardier in action
29/08/2016 07:17:48

Here's a neat cockpit vid published just last week of a CL-415 operated by Morocco scooping at the Douro River in Portugal. The Morocco government sent 2 CL-415s to help Portugal on fire control this summer.

**LINK**

The Russian government sent also 2 Beriev be200s.

https://youtu.be/RTsqp9LKEoo

Edited By KiwiKid on 29/08/2016 07:24:30

26/08/2016 07:25:49

This is my Canardex built from plans prepared by John Blakey(CV Models) in Scarborough. Great flyer and handy for aerial photography with the pusher configuration.

canardex6.jpg

flyby.jpg

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
24/08/2016 05:38:16

A blonde teenage girl, wanting to earn some extra money for the summer, decided to hire herself out as a "handy-woman"

She started canvassing a nearby well-to-do neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house, and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs for her to do.

"Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint my porch," he said, "How much will you charge me?"

Delighted, the girl quickly responded, "How about $50?"

The man agreed and told her that the paint brushes and everything she would need was in the garage.

The man's wife, hearing the conversation said to her husband, "Does she realize that our porch goes ALL the way around the house?"

He responded, "That's a bit cynical, isn't it?"

The wife replied, "You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all those dumb blonde jokes we've been getting by email lately."

Later that day, the blonde teenager came to the door to collect her money.
"You're finished already?" the startled husband asked.

"Yes, she replied, and I even had paint left over, so I gave it two coats."

Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the $50.00 and handed it to her along with a $10.00 tip.

“And, by the way," the teenager added, "it's not a Porch, it's a Lexus."

20/08/2016 13:08:01

You should be able to just do a copy and paste. Highlight the URL, right click and copy, open a new tab, right click and paste the URL into the URL bar and then hit enter.

19/08/2016 15:13:13

Very nice build. If you have not flown a pusher before, there are some things to remember on launch:

- make sure you have a firm footing and a good grip on the model;

- give the model a good hard javelin throw;

- follow through so your hand falls away from the prop, and

- don't hit you head with the model.

Ummmm .... bit hard to tell from the pic, but is your prop on the right way around? Looking from the back forwards, the motor should spin clockwise and the lettering on the prop should face the front.

19/08/2016 14:24:37

Peter, if you want to be "naughty" and pinch the odd pic, for the best of reasons you understand, you can just do a screen grab. Then open (paste) the screen grab in a photo processor (even MSPaint will do) and then crop and save the pic. Quality remains pretty good through the process. The screen grab function is different on various computers, often the Function key and the PrintScreen key are used together.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues