By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: show us your scale glider
21/03/2018 14:17:18

Some great pics coming out of the woodwork here guys - keep 'em coming.

My DFS Habicht.

habicht.jpg

blue habicht3.jpg

Thread: links to other scale forums
21/03/2018 10:48:14

Hi Roo, if you use the "LINK" icon in the reply page graphics you can add a direct link to a web page that people can click on. Like so:

scalesoaring.co.uk **LINK**

scalesoaring.com **LINK**

Thread: show us your scale glider
21/03/2018 09:05:09

Yes, some parameters would be good so that we don't make any fopars. How about scale motor gliders? Is foam allowed? smiley

Thread: Scale markings
15/03/2018 09:23:27

Thanks Chris, I have only ever used the dry method.

The decals from Callie come with that sticky backed tape on the front of them, so you pull the backing paper off and can position them holding the sticky backed tape. I often use thin bits of masking tape as a positioning guide.The only time I would expect it would be beneficial to use the wet method would be if you have a particularly delicate surface where you might only get one chance to "get it right" or the sticky backed tape might pull some paint off.

Some more of Callie's artistry.

bv13.jpg

14/03/2018 09:33:37

Another Kiwi fan - better have a link: **LINK**

I have been using Callie since not long after she first started out. Some of the slope guys on RCGroups hooked up with her and were singing her praises. This was her first job for me:

scooter2a.jpg

Quick background - her mom and dad owned a model shop and she had been studying graphic art, helping out in the shop when she could. One day a customer was talking to her dad complaining that he couldn't source some decals he wanted for a model - Callie overheard and asked what he wanted. She knocked them up and printed them using a basic vinyl cutter. Word got around the customer's club and RCG and soon she had a busy back room operation going.

She has her husband doing cutting, packing and delivery while she works on the design and custom work. She has amassed a huge library of graphics and there is a lot more material available than shown on her site. See also the customer pics.

If you are building a particular model you can e-mail her to see what she has in stock or send her some pics of a f/s plane you like and ask for a quote for decals. These, of course, can be sized to any scale.

Really friendly person and has been around modelling and airplanes all her life.

Edited By KiwiKid on 14/03/2018 10:02:30

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
07/03/2018 08:56:11

Any new models about for show and tell?

This model is new to me in that it is a sloper I have had for awhile, but have just completed an electric conversion on it using a HK Gliderdrive 900kv motor. Flies amazingly well and from experience with other powered slopers it should continue to perform well as a sloper.

pic_0099.jpg

pic_0107.jpg

Thread: 35 mhz - any value
06/03/2018 11:25:13

I still use a couple of my old JR (40 MHz) radios for park flying and slopin', controlling lesser valued models and they still perform great (just gotta remember to put the aerial up!). The achilles heal of the older JR radios is that the innards are powered by a proprietary JR lithium battery and once that goes she's a paperweight these days.

I also have another couple of newer JR radios that I converted to 2.4 with FrSky modules four or five years ago. I have had zero issues with these over 100s of flights and they are reported to have a good signal out to around two kms which will do me.

oldgit, are your futaba tx's suitable for modules?

Edited By KiwiKid on 06/03/2018 11:26:23

Thread: Can a foam model be polished
28/02/2018 22:06:03

Yip clear gloss is the ticket. Just use a flat soft brush and don't apply it too thickly. It's very easy stuff to work with. Keep an eye out for any runs as it dries. If you are working on an assembled model, apply the solution in sections rotating the model so that the area being covered can be left in a horizontal position as the solution dries.

Two coats are best as the first coat seals up the foam and the second adds some more gloss. The weight penalty is not significant as the product is WBPU (water based polyurethane) and the water content evaporates as it dries. As well as looking good the application of the WBPU provides a modicum of protection from mild scuffing and hangar rash.

waco2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/02/2018 22:13:48

Thread: WW1 Aircraft detailed close up photo collection
26/02/2018 23:22:50

Really awesome pics there Dave - but that Photobucket POS has to die!

I have seen all those planes in person and they are indeed mouth watering. They really look like scaled up RC models with the push rods replaced by cables and the servos replaced with the pilots arms and legs.

One of my favourite pics.

dr1s.jpg

Thread: Unrecognisable ARTFs - new paint jobs!
25/02/2018 22:28:12

One of my local hobby shops used to specialize in slope soarers and produced a very nice sloper called the Arrow.

prototype.jpg

I thought it looked like something from the drawing board of Alexander Lippisch, so set to with a conversion into a Luftwaffe Pfeil.

decals4.jpg
decals5.jpg

Really a nice flier and something a bit different for the slope.

decals6.jpg

22/02/2018 11:52:33

Looking forward to seeing some others' efforts in customizing their ARF's.

Back in the day the Parkzone Stryker was quite a hit and many newcomers to RC flying cut their teeth on Strykers as they were easy enough to control and tough as old boots. I would love to know how many Parkzone sold - must be in the tens of thousands (I have had four) and guys did all sorts of mods to them. Two upgraded ARF versions were also produced incorporating some of the mods done by modelers.

I started with the stock model (brushed motor and Ni-Mh battery) in 2006 and then progressed to custom builds and paint jobs.

Indoor model with 3mm depron fins and 6mm depron elevons.

indoor.jpg

"Su-27 Flanker" - strengthened airframe, cut down fins and balsa elevons.

su 27 1.jpg

"Vulcan" - don't laugh, at that time there were no Vulcan ARF's around (still the case actually, why is that?) so one had to make do.

vulcan.jpg

Very versatile airframe and can be powered up (with 6S and glassing) to do around 150mph.

Edited By KiwiKid on 22/02/2018 12:09:06

Thread: Keep Those Old Cordless Tools Going
21/02/2018 23:55:51

Well done Gary, it's great when hobby experience helps you out in real life.

I had a similar problem seven years ago and I was sitting down contemplating the horror of soldering up a bunch of ni-cads when I suddenly thought "hold the bus a lipo could do this". Worked a treat and the drill is still soldiering on to this day.

drill.jpg

drill2.jpg

Thread: Unrecognisable ARTFs - new paint jobs!
20/02/2018 11:21:54

Great idea for a thread TWS, loving those Skippers. I have a Skipper and a Polaris Ultra and have endless fun with them.

I do have a bit of form for this sort of malarkey, but don't want to bomb the tread, so I will just do some dribs and drabs.

Here's an ARF X-8 FPV wing that got the treatment.

bv10.jpg

bv12.jpg

bv13.jpg

95% of the model was sourced from HobbyKing (I have no shame) and it turned out to be an awesome flyer and a great slope soarer.

Somewhat unexpectedly, it also turned out to be a bit of a chick magnet down at the parkcheeky

jess b&v (3).jpg

Thread: Flite Test Centre (Center?)
07/02/2018 22:10:22

That's one thing about the States, it has economies of SCALE.

You can see in the vids the pulling power of the Flight Test Festivals which have been growing in size every year with a lot of family (read new blood kids) involvement. The reason for this is that they make RC cool by doing whacked out projects (that sometimes don't go right and/or are funny) and showing kids and adults how to make their own stuff cheaply. Good luck to them.

Thread: Best given the right of way
07/02/2018 09:59:14

Rattlers will still give you a nasty bite. Love a good snake story, mainly 'cause I have never seen one in the wild.

Interesting thing I saw about rattlers last year - significant numbers of them have actually stopped rattling! As a defence mechanism I always felt it had a fatal flaw - that of giving away your position. It also presupposes that your assailant knows that you are a badass that should be avoided. This worked fine on buffalos, but unfortunately for the poor old rattler, the assailant is now more likely to be a red neck with a '45. So, as evolution would have it, the rattlers that kept their rattle stowed tended to prosper and maybe the trait will get passed down through generations.

I have seen comment on some California slope threads where they go on a snake hunt, beating the grass around their launch site before flying. I guess it's a bit un-nerving when you have your hands full, so to speak, and someone yells SNAKE! In the States they also have these nasty things called tics and chiggers. Evil little beasties that live in grasses and can give a bite that can get infected and really turn nasty.

On an American slope site one day, I remember reading this post where a chap was relating how a rattler had turned up on their slope and, quite matter of factly, he said "So I went to my car, got my gun and shot the varmint" - gotta love 'em.

snake!.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/02/2018 10:04:43

Thread: Paint masking Advice
02/02/2018 09:02:01

Interesting stuff and some great looking models. I have been enjoying the blu-tac and cling film method for the last few years. It's handy for compound curves and provides a nice fuzzy line mimicking full size paint jobs.

a4 bluetac.jpg

www11.jpg

spit paint.jpg

spit.jpg

Thread: Adaptors
28/01/2018 22:24:02

The list of possible permutations, whilst large, is finite - just keep making them as you need themlaugh

EDIT: Haha posted at the same time - maybe set up a spreadsheet and see what you have and what you are likely to need in the future.

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/01/2018 22:27:49

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
27/01/2018 23:18:53

It's hard to get good help.

pizza.jpg

Thread: Hobbico - files for Bankruptcy
24/01/2018 22:09:34

Here's a listing of Hobbico's top 20 creditors by $ volume.

hobbico.jpg

hobbico2.jpg

hobbico3.jpg

hobbico4.jpg

As you might expect Futaba has a pretty significant exposure, but not in terms of their overall operation which is huge. Rather intrigued by the Drinker Biddle Reath (lawyers) debt of $1.2m. 

Edited By KiwiKid on 24/01/2018 22:18:36

Thread: Electric Cars.
23/01/2018 13:27:05

I have seen comments on here and elsewhere regarding the hazard caused by an electric car's almost silent passage. I was nearly a victim of this myself last year - I was about to cross a road and had two cars go past, was about to step off the curb when a Niro zipped past with hardly a sound. Very smooth tarseal and wind noise helped it's stealthy passage, but I wonder what will happen when the inevitable fatality happens, if it hasn't already. Maybe the compulsory fitting of a sound module could be in the offing - I would plum for a Merlin I think.

EDIT: just as an aside, I have seen the odd poster struggling with the fiendish line that appears on the left of quoted text. To escape it's evil clutches just locate your cursor at the end of the text and hit the down arrow button - freedom!

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/01/2018 13:31:59

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues