By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Blohm & Voss
07/05/2018 22:34:45

Hi Rich, as far as I know there is no short kit for the 215 available.

There are free plans available however from this posting: **LINK**

I have always had a thing for the 215 and would like to build a good sized one when I can fit it in the build queue - meantime I bashed an FPV X-8 into a 2.8m w/s 215ish sort of thing and have been having a lot of fun with it as a park flyer and slope soarer.

bv10.jpg

bv11.jpg

bv12.jpg

bv13.jpg

Thread: PSS Models FOR SALE or WANTED
07/05/2018 11:44:58

This Zero is actually a very good flier, the kit being "inspired" from a model designed by a renowned US enthusiast. His model was the subject of a group build a few years ago.

zeros.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
05/05/2018 10:09:35

Yip, I just made the front section a little more scale.

05/05/2018 02:06:25

I like that Russell, very sleak design - similar to some of the '80s slopers. Don't worry about the weight, it will just go faster. You do realise that when flying such a model it is traditional to wear the appropriate period dress laugh

point fermin2.jpg

I am not sure the world needs another Vulcan, but we have one here. It's a semi scale slope design I built from plans and converted to a park flyer to gain a bit more stick time. It has a 50% thinned wing and slim vertical stabilizer to reduce drag for sloping. I have fitted a folding prop so she should still do a passable job as a slope soarer. I flew her for a couple of months nekkid and she has just come out of the paint shop and done a couple of remaiden flights which went well.

vulcan11.jpg

vulcan12.jpg

vulcan15.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 05/05/2018 02:20:17

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
04/05/2018 12:49:05

Have really been enjoying your build thread Peter, particularly as I have a two thirds built Tiggy on the go. Your problem solving and scale building has been inspirational - totally amazing project.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
04/05/2018 12:44:45

Have really been enjoying your build thread Peter, particularly as I have a two thirds built Tiggy on the go. Your problem solving and scale building has been inspirational - totally amazing project.

You do realise that there is only one job left now - making it fly. Good luck and don't forget the vid laugh

Thread: Gliding video thread
02/05/2018 01:48:55

Some really awesome vids here and I hadn't even seen the thread before. Great to see it resurrected.

Here's my take on sloping and gliders.

Thread: what grass treatment do you use?
27/04/2018 11:00:58

LOL. Another organically friendly method is to let a herd of 50 steers meander through the field - those broad-leaved weeds won't know what has hit them.

field damage.jpg

Thread: FMS Typhoon
26/04/2018 14:02:41

Excellent picture of a beautiful model Tim.

I can see the scale work you have done on the cannons, exhausts, pilot etc - looks really neat.

Probably not a model you would want to leave sitting in the sun for too long.

Thread: Across the Channel in 80 minutes......
18/04/2018 01:19:59

Well done Max and co - here's the vid.

Thread: PSS Models FOR SALE or WANTED
16/04/2018 15:19:38

That Lear Jet should make a very attractive sloper - particularly with some rebuilt scale engine pods.

I have been flying a Great Planes LJ for years. It's quite aerobatic and never fails to make me smile - the bunnies get a bit queasy though laugh

pic_0005.jpg learjetflying2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 16/04/2018 15:20:11

Thread: Warbirds Over Wanaka 2018 Yak 3 Plane Crash
05/04/2018 15:52:39

Yes, bit of a tragedy and really something that we need to let the investigators have a go at.

Some facts though are that the cherry picker that was being used by a photographer and as a pylon marker was left too close to 29R. The pilot (who is 80 years old) has made literally 100s of landings on 29R, but this time he was off centre by 20 or so metres.

yak.jpg

yak3.jpg

yak2.jpg

On a happier note, some pics:

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Flyaway model, what would you do?
05/04/2018 01:34:48

Getting a model back from a fly away like this is often hampered by loss of orientation and it is helpful to have a pre thought out routine to regain control. One I have used (which is also useful for loss of sight in the sun or behind trees etc) is to give the model three quarter throttle and half up elevator. This may need to be varied depending on the model, but should put it into a holding pattern of (a few) repeated loops during which you can hopefully ascertain it's orientation (or find it!).

Thread: Hobbico - files for Bankruptcy
01/04/2018 11:19:18

Man, Hobbico's auction organizers sent out info packets to literally hundreds of potential interested parties, but none responded except the already flagged bid by Horizon for the RC business. Looks like there may be some other bids about for other parts of the business, but no details yet.

**LINK**

Thread: First DLG - Looking for suggestions
31/03/2018 11:10:10
Posted by IDD15 on 31/03/2018 09:44:57:

Warning, DLG flying can become quite addictive!

idd

There are self help groups you can join, but I think they just make the problem worse. wink

dlg group.jpg

If you find you enjoy this aspect of the hobby, you might find a nice second hand model available on Ebay or elsewhere. Like most models, DLGs fall out of bed pricewise from new and the serious competition guys often flick off their models after a couple of years. Ebay add is here as an example, but not suitable for you o/a location: **LINK**

Just a word of warning, go easy on yourself in the first few sessions as you can be using muscles (particularly in the arm) that are not used to that sort of stress. Here's quite a good vid from the goofballs at FliteTest that offers some good advice for newcomers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvllx83zAw

Edited By KiwiKid on 31/03/2018 11:13:36

Thread: scale glider suppliers
29/03/2018 05:07:16

Some great info here. I particularly like Topp Rippin, as mentioned by MikeT, and often like to scroll through their wares just to look at the neat pics and get some colour design inspirations. Great to see them getting into some vintage scale models as well. This is a bit of a niche market and most manufacturers shy away from it as sales are never going to be very high.

Here's a couple of manufacturers that have vintage models available.

AP Models: **LINK**

Island Models: **LINK**

Oldgliders have already been mentioned by flight1 and they produce some fantastic kits. Here's an interesting listing of some of them at Lindinger Modellbau: **LINK**

Thread: Aircraft Incidents/Near Misses
28/03/2018 02:45:30

This happened at the Scalaria Air Challenge 2015 air show - the Do was doing a touch and go when it struck something in the water (presumably a semi-submerged log) on it's starboard side.

do.jpg

This caused the a/c to start to swerve to the right, the pilot instinctively slammed in full left rudder, but it worked too well o/a the relatively high water speed and the a/c started a rapid waterloop to the left.

do2.jpg

This resulted in the a/c slightly rising out of the water and then falling back, causing huge stress to the airframe.

do3.jpg

She took on a bit of water, but made it back to land and has been repaired.

do4.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/03/2018 02:49:13

Thread: crash/emotions
27/03/2018 14:02:46

Sorry for your loss. I always try and keep a stiff upper lip - but does hurt a bit.

labour crash.jpg

Thread: Hobbico - files for Bankruptcy
26/03/2018 15:18:32

Not wanting to kick a dead horse when he is down, but Hobbico looks about to go on the chopping block.

An auction of the assets was scheduled for today, although it looks like it may now be tomorrow.

Hobbico directors have valued the group at US$38m which is going to be somewhat shy of their debt burden which appeared to be somewhere north of US$100m. With a good chunk of the debt presumably secured over the companies' assets, the creditors and staff may not see much of the sale proceeds. Horizon Hobbies have also made a play for a portion of the business at US18.8m and will bid for this at the auction.

Couple of background articles:

**LINK**

**LINK**

And a bit of light reading (PDF): **LINK**

Thread: show us your scale glider
25/03/2018 13:19:58

Interesting blog entry here on a scale version of G-DCBP: **LINK**

Edited By KiwiKid on 25/03/2018 13:21:35

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us