By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RC1528 - Avro Vulcan C o G
12/05/2018 08:08:29

They look great William. I went for the camo/white colour scheme to assist with orientation and it really worked well. Also saved time leaving the underside in Solartex white - I just gave it a coat of clear sealer to help with keeping it clean.

That bmfa electric do sounds like fun - would really love to go to something like that. Do you know if there are some pics posted anywhere?

11/05/2018 15:11:01

Thanks Mark, it was a fun build. Quite keen to build a larger one, but it's quite a big time commitment.

Thread: Blohm & Voss
11/05/2018 05:49:53

Hi Rich, thanks, the X-8 is one of my favourite models and gets a lot of stick time as it's a fun parkflier and sloper.

The basic airframe can be sourced from a lot of FPV model shops, also EBay, AliExpress etc. Not sure where you are from, but if you are interested it would advisable to see if you have any outlets in your region as it's a big model and freight cost can be an issue. Product price is around USD170, but it is often on sale. I just grafted on some HobbyKing parkjet wings to the verts - added a cockpit and paint job and let her rip.

jess b&v (3).jpg

Thread: RC1528 - Avro Vulcan C o G
10/05/2018 13:09:16

I was quite intrigued to follow this thread a couple of years ago as I had recently picked up a plan for the same slope scale Vulcan. The project arrived at the top of the build queue six months back and after around four months of toil off and on the build was completed.

It is, of course, semi scale with a 50% thinned wing, slope arifoil and thinned vetical stab to make it slippery for slopin'. I flew it nekkid for a couple of months and got a fair bit of stick time on her as I had set it up for parkflying (ie not too rowdy) with the motor positioned outside the fuse to move the prop away from the flight surfaces a bit. Experimenting with this on other models, I have found that it results in around a 60% reduction in noise levels from the pusher prop set up. The model is powered by a 3S system which gives it a good flight envelope allowing for more than scale flight. Wings are covered in Solartex, the fuse is balsa covered in brown paper with a plastic nose cone. folding prop is fitted to help with slopin' and belly landings.

vulcan4.jpg

She has just emerged from the paint shop and completed a couple of successful remaiden flights.

vulcan18.jpg

vulcan20.jpg

vulcan27.jpg

vulcan25.jpg

Rather pleased with how the model came out. No-one makes an ARF balsa or foam scale kit (there are some builders kits about) and it would be a bit of a risky venture, but Dynam might take it on as they are already pretty close with their recently released EDF Gloster Meteor and could probably get away with a similar power train in the Vulcan (or maybe some 80's) as it has a very lifty wing. I am thinking of starting a petition – LOL.

Had some fun in the sun today and shot some vid. Last job is to take her slopin'.

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
10/05/2018 07:02:40

Really been enjoying your build Greg. I have just finished a slap together semi scale powered sloper as a bit of a practice for building a bigger Vulcan when I can fit it in the build queue.

You have probably seen this presentation, but it has some really nice pics included: **LINK**

Thread: SWIMBO of the month
09/05/2018 11:19:56

I just came across this one the other day - kinda funny and sad at the same time.

field.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
08/05/2018 06:56:48

Some details here: **LINK**

Thread: PSS Models FOR SALE or WANTED
07/05/2018 23:08:24

Indeed - I think the red Reno racer is my favourite laugh

zero reno racer.jpg

Thread: Blohm & Voss
07/05/2018 22:34:45

Hi Rich, as far as I know there is no short kit for the 215 available.

There are free plans available however from this posting: **LINK**

I have always had a thing for the 215 and would like to build a good sized one when I can fit it in the build queue - meantime I bashed an FPV X-8 into a 2.8m w/s 215ish sort of thing and have been having a lot of fun with it as a park flyer and slope soarer.

bv10.jpg

bv11.jpg

bv12.jpg

bv13.jpg

07/05/2018 11:44:58

This Zero is actually a very good flier, the kit being "inspired" from a model designed by a renowned US enthusiast. His model was the subject of a group build a few years ago.

zeros.jpg

05/05/2018 10:09:35

Yip, I just made the front section a little more scale.

05/05/2018 02:06:25

I like that Russell, very sleak design - similar to some of the '80s slopers. Don't worry about the weight, it will just go faster. You do realise that when flying such a model it is traditional to wear the appropriate period dress laugh

point fermin2.jpg

I am not sure the world needs another Vulcan, but we have one here. It's a semi scale slope design I built from plans and converted to a park flyer to gain a bit more stick time. It has a 50% thinned wing and slim vertical stabilizer to reduce drag for sloping. I have fitted a folding prop so she should still do a passable job as a slope soarer. I flew her for a couple of months nekkid and she has just come out of the paint shop and done a couple of remaiden flights which went well.

vulcan11.jpg

vulcan12.jpg

vulcan15.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 05/05/2018 02:20:17

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
04/05/2018 12:49:05

Have really been enjoying your build thread Peter, particularly as I have a two thirds built Tiggy on the go. Your problem solving and scale building has been inspirational - totally amazing project.

04/05/2018 12:44:45

Have really been enjoying your build thread Peter, particularly as I have a two thirds built Tiggy on the go. Your problem solving and scale building has been inspirational - totally amazing project.

You do realise that there is only one job left now - making it fly. Good luck and don't forget the vid laugh

Thread: Gliding video thread
02/05/2018 01:48:55

Some really awesome vids here and I hadn't even seen the thread before. Great to see it resurrected.

Here's my take on sloping and gliders.

Thread: what grass treatment do you use?
27/04/2018 11:00:58

LOL. Another organically friendly method is to let a herd of 50 steers meander through the field - those broad-leaved weeds won't know what has hit them.

field damage.jpg

Thread: FMS Typhoon
26/04/2018 14:02:41

Excellent picture of a beautiful model Tim.

I can see the scale work you have done on the cannons, exhausts, pilot etc - looks really neat.

Probably not a model you would want to leave sitting in the sun for too long.

Thread: Across the Channel in 80 minutes......
18/04/2018 01:19:59

Well done Max and co - here's the vid.

16/04/2018 15:19:38

That Lear Jet should make a very attractive sloper - particularly with some rebuilt scale engine pods.

I have been flying a Great Planes LJ for years. It's quite aerobatic and never fails to make me smile - the bunnies get a bit queasy though laugh

pic_0005.jpg learjetflying2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 16/04/2018 15:20:11

Thread: Warbirds Over Wanaka 2018 Yak 3 Plane Crash
05/04/2018 15:52:39

Yes, bit of a tragedy and really something that we need to let the investigators have a go at.

Some facts though are that the cherry picker that was being used by a photographer and as a pylon marker was left too close to 29R. The pilot (who is 80 years old) has made literally 100s of landings on 29R, but this time he was off centre by 20 or so metres.

yak.jpg

yak3.jpg

yak2.jpg

On a happier note, some pics:

**LINK**

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us