By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hobbico - files for Bankruptcy
13/01/2018 03:14:32

Yes, all interesting stuff BEB.

Left hand down a bit.

I really don't like Hobbico's chances of getting out of this. Sale to another entity is the best option, but I don't think anyone would buy a company that has been left in the dust by it's competitors and hasn't had any real innovation for the past 15 years. While Tower has name recognition, much of their base is either gone or going away quickly. Most newcomers into the hobby are not looking for quality or durability, they are looking for any way to get in the air with as little money and as little work as possible. Hobbico products certainly don't fit that bill.

In an example of "there is no problem that cannot be made worse," I was surprised to note this little gem at the end of one of the newspaper articles "Hobbico is under a federal investigation. We first told you two weeks ago that leaders are accused of mismanaging employees' stock. Several current and former workers said their accounts have plummeted." There are several reports of staff who were laid off or took redundancy last year not being able to get their funds out. They were fobbed off and a promised payment date of 31 Dec came and went and then 10 Jan Ch11! Not a great way to start the year.

11/01/2018 15:32:23

Actually Don, what you have identified there was definitely one of Hobbico's (and the industries) problems. There is a glut of RC equipment and parts available on ebay, craigslist, BMFA and swap meets. Lots of people getting out of the hobby plus hobby shops going out of business makes a lot of items available in brand new or near new condition for cheap. Tough times.

11/01/2018 15:05:49

Well, not in the short term as Ch11 sort of puts things on ice and those brands are part of Hobbico's assets, so it will depend on how the restructuring, refinancing and finding of investors/purchasers goes. TopFlite and Great Planes had some nice products but I feel part of Hobbico's problems stemmed from the fact that their entire line was old school products that many of the newer modelers are not interested in.

11/01/2018 13:46:03

I have been following developments with Hobbico for 18 months or so and it really has been a slow motion train wreck.

What first raised my concern was a noticeable and increasing trend for Tower Hobbies items to be out of stock. I have been using Tower for years and they had some very good deals, often with free domestic shipping which I utilized to have the goods shipped to a US NZ Post depot. Anyways, I was not alone in my concerns and Hobbico's woes have been well documented and have impacted their staff both in terms of layoffs and their employee stock ownership plan.

The group has over 50,000 individual products, but has struggled to compete with overseas competition pricewise and I was somewhat staggered to see one of their proposals to increase profitability was to increase prices! I think Hobbico hesitated too long to get into the electric RTF market and they may not be able to ever recover. Their Flyzone line was a year after Horizons eflight, and had both reliability issues and cost more. They still have not embraced providing cheap batteries and electronics, so HobbyKing is eating their lunch in that field.

I raised my eyebrows at the comment that "a series of one-time events with key suppliers" had impacted on profitability. I will leave you to draw your own conclusions from that statement.

I must say that the service from their staff is excellent and they have some very knowledgeable and long serving employees.

We live in interesting times.

Edited By KiwiKid on 11/01/2018 13:48:52

Thread: Kiwi Assistance Please
10/01/2018 13:21:38

It is necessary to check the "send email when PM received" box in the My Account section to activate that option as the default setting is not to send one.

Thread: IDENTIFICATION please
10/01/2018 03:38:49

Very interesting - I had not come across that one before Piers.

This is an intriguing one off design showing that there is more than one way to skin a cat.smiley

charlie taylor ct-108e.jpg

charlie taylor ct-108d.jpg

charlie taylor ct-108c.jpg

Thread: Rc delta undercarriage
10/01/2018 01:22:16

As Dennis has mentioned, the ideal location is just behind the CG. Depending on the size of your model this may work out to be10-20mm. In this pic of the Horizon DeltaRay (CG on the finger holes) you can see they have located them about 20mm behind the CG.

deltaray.jpg

This location stops the model sitting on it's tail and aids with takeoff rotation. It is also useful to set the undercarriage up so that the model sits with a slight nose up attitude, again to help with takeoff rotation.

Thread: Kiwi Assistance Please
09/01/2018 23:26:37

He was active before my time on here and I am not familiar with him. You could try a PM, but I don't think this site generates e-mail advices when you receive a PM. He has not been back for 18 months, but might spot the PM notice if he signs in again.

His profile: **LINK**

Thread: The Sorcerer
07/01/2018 22:11:44

Hi Gordon, the Motor Spatz is an ARF produced by VQ Models. It was marketed in Europe by Pichler and I picked mine up from Staufenbiels. Great flier and very versatile being great fun for park and club flying, thermaling and sloping.

Here's a recent post: **LINK**

rags2 xmas 2017.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/01/2018 22:19:05

07/01/2018 13:54:05

Thanks guys.

Tom the "Bird of Time" is actually a brute of a thing called a Gliderman. It is a Chinese knock off of the BoT and comes standard with a motor mount and ailerons and (now) flaps - available from TheBuildRC. I just put a BoT sticker on it as a wind up. It weighs almost twice what a BoT glider does, but actually flies well, powers through wind and is a passable thermaler. It really excels at sloping and park flying.

Here's a recent park flying vid: **LINK**

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/01/2018 14:02:41

06/01/2018 22:32:06
Posted by KiwiKid on 09/04/2017 22:34:09:

Also should make a good light wind sloper - I hope.

I does! I have been sloping the Sorcerer for six months or so and finally snagged a nice fine day for some vid recently. Being built very light the Sorcerer does not penetrate well in strong winds, but is fine in light winds so is a useful model to have in the quiver.

Here's the vid: **LINK**

rags xmas 2017.jpg

pic_0071.jpg

Thread: Kittyhawk ruined?
04/01/2018 13:32:20

I think their heart was in the right place, but she is a bit of a rivet counter's nightmare (that spinner!):

kittyhawk.jpg

and the paint scheme is a bit of a howler. I think they were trying to go for the period scheme: **LINK**

but a bit of a swing and a miss there too.

Thread: Mike Oldfield
01/01/2018 00:03:32

LOL - just noticed that was the last post of 2017 - HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!!

31/12/2017 23:51:09

I have been a great fan of MIke's since I was a wee nipper. I first hooked into him from The Exorcist movie laugh

Yip he was a keen modeler

mike2.jpg

and also is a qualified aircraft ....

mike3.jpg

and helicopter pilot too.

mike4.jpg

One of my favourite songs of all time is Moonlight Shadow with Maggie - very relaxing.

mike.jpg

Thread: JR Propo declare bankruptcy in Japan
30/12/2017 20:17:13

Must have been a lot of staff affected by the recent goings on too. Hopefully they managed to relocate with the restructures. This is a somewhat haunting vid of what an RC closure looks like.

Thread: SF-24 MotorSpatz motorglider slopin'
27/12/2017 22:33:00

I purchased a VQ Models MotorSpatz (Motor Sparrow) scale glider from Staufenbiels a couple of years ago and have been having a lot of fun with it. The model is great for park and club flying and will do some passable thermaling in the right conditions. It's built pretty tough and also makes a great sloper.

recovered.jpg

rags2 xmas 2017.jpg

rags xmas 2017.jpg.
Funny thing I have noticed before - the local gull population often go mental over the Sparrow and attack it every time I fly it. I flew four other models the day of the vid and the gulls ignored all of them except the Sparrow. It must be the size and shape that they mistake for an intruding hawk or something. It's quite hard case, but the Sparrow has built up wings and a good smack from a gull could bring it down.

Here's the vid: **LINK**

Edited By KiwiKid on 27/12/2017 22:35:23

Thread: Photo manipulation by George Paterson
25/12/2017 07:04:20

OK, just for you - hope it's not too naughty blush

jessi2.jpg

Thread: happy christmas
25/12/2017 06:40:01
Posted by Kiwikanfli on 24/12/2017 20:13:35:

Merry Christmas to all from downunder, might go flying after lunch if I can stand!

Well I could stand (just) and made it out for a fly laugh

rags xmas 2017.jpg

rags2 xmas 2017.jpg

24/12/2017 22:20:49

Haha yes - I have always been amused by how we try and make things look wintery to get in the Xmas spirit when it's 30 degrees out. It is handy having the summer hols over the Xmas/New Year period and there are other advantages laugh

xmas.jpg

Thread: Photo manipulation by George Paterson
24/12/2017 21:41:46
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/12/2017 18:31:53:

and they say the camera never lies

I think those days are long gone.

Now we can all have our little fantasies.laugh

jess b&v (3).jpg

jessi.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 24/12/2017 21:47:42

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues