By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KiwiKid

Here is a list of all the postings KiwiKid has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Longer Days.....
24/12/2017 06:58:42
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 24/12/2017 02:01:25:

when I was in your lovely country about 15 years ago, you had a plague of Possums, are they still around?

Yes, the beggars are still here in strength. Our forebears left a lovely legacy of possums, rats, rabbits, weasels, ferrets, stoats, goats, deer and pigs that decimate the indigenous flora and fauna. Fortunately, none of them are very lethal to humans so don't impinge on the flying.

As Kooka mentioned there are few nasties in Oz and I have seen a few incidents in the States where the slopers have had encounters with big cats and various snakes.

snake!.jpg

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
23/12/2017 23:05:24

When life serves you lemons - make lemonade laugh

flood.jpg

Thread: Longer Days.....
23/12/2017 12:03:26

Yip don't worry about us. We hardly even notice the change in seasons in the balmy south Pacificcheeky

NZ (along with bits of Argentina and Chile) is sorta the bottom of the world, but we are still on a similar latitude to Spain, so pretty temperate. I think the world is a bit top heavy population wise. Only bug bear in the summer is a prevalence of wind, but you can get around that by park/club flying in the morning and slopin' in the afternoon.

Thread: Photo manipulation by George Paterson
23/12/2017 10:27:18

For some time I have been enjoying the work of George Paterson as he uses his graphic art skills to produce some striking aircraft oriented art work (that he calls Slipping the Bonds) based on models, paintings and photos.

He will start with a plastic model like this:

patterson9.jpg

and apply his skills to place the model in a panorama or flying backdrop, like so:

patterson8.jpg

The effect is quite stunning and is sort of halfway between an in flight photo and a painting.

He can also apply his skills to RC subjects, like so:

pattersonrc3.jpg

pattersonrc2.jpg

Another trick he enjoys is enhancing poor quality painting or photographic subjects, adding lots of scale detail, like so:

patterson6.jpgpatterson5.jpg

Anyways, for your holiday entertainment I provide below links to some of his postings. He also records details of his techniques and information he has unearthed in researching the various aircraft. Click on the thumbnails to see the finished work.

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Edited By KiwiKid on 23/12/2017 10:34:31

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
23/12/2017 09:48:52

Run like you are being chased by Cylons.

Thread: IDENTIFICATION please
20/12/2017 13:34:25

Vid of the full size - I can understand the spinning tendency!

20/12/2017 13:15:29

Ka- ching, I had been trying to make out that logo on the tail - it says GeeBee of all things!

Edited By KiwiKid on 20/12/2017 13:16:14

20/12/2017 12:58:08

A little bit more info - the plane was in fact a full sized (maybe home built?) called an Ascender - the games afoot!

duck4.jpg

duck3.jpg

20/12/2017 12:10:16

A quick squiz produced this pic of a small model with the same rego and showing some structural detail, but unfortunately no info apart from that the plane (or the model) was French.

duck2.jpg

Thread: happy christmas
11/12/2017 23:22:18

A little Xmas cheer to warm up those frozen extremities laugh

tiaxmas.jpg

tia xmas radian.jpg

xmas dlg.jpg

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
10/12/2017 18:05:22

Really looking forward to following this build of one of my favourite subjects. Co-incidentally, just came across this pic on t' Facebook last night - it appears to have been taken at the same time as the cover shot on the second (from the left) of your book collection - inspiring stuff!

whirlwind3.jpg

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
09/12/2017 09:11:21

Wot - no skis?

Skis are good laugh

snow landing.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
07/12/2017 23:28:44

Really enjoying the bipe pics! For the rest of us mere mortals the ARF Dynam Waco is a good looking fun park and club flyer with a short build time smiley

waco4.jpg

waco2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/12/2017 23:31:23

Thread: Why We board Planes From The left Hand Side.
03/12/2017 02:28:45

Just wondering if we have any "lefties' here? I, as a "rightie", can remember when I first started flying that I had a phobia for right hand circuits and it took a lot of practice to get the landings right.

Full size pilots tend to favour left hand circuits and aircraft carriers (except for some of the early Jap ones) have the island on the starboard side as pilots generally preferred to turn to port in the event of a baulked landing. Back in the day, single-motor propeller planes usually had a right-turning engine, so they tended to deviate to the port side anyway.

Thread: Dihedral in flying wing design?
01/12/2017 04:44:47

I have been enjoying this discussion as I am a bit of a fan of flying wings. They can be a versatile model being great fun for park and club flying, thermaling and slopin' - sometimes all four laugh

Here's a few of my wingy things to show the variety that can be enjoyed - they all have sweepback to varying derees.

Zeta Phantom with wing extensions

phantom-c.jpg

3.2m "expanded" combat wing

jazzilla7.jpg

Horten Amerika bomber

horten1d.jpg

Blohm und Voss high altitude fighter

jess b&v (3).jpg

Zupair Z1 (with B2 removable motor pod)

z1 b2.jpg

Zupair Zulu

smart.jpg

Own design Sloper

pic_0183.jpg

Own design sloper

the sting3.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 01/12/2017 04:50:38

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/11/2017 11:55:57
Posted by David Davis on 29/11/2017 08:16:09:

I prefer the Liberator.

Soon, you will be able to have your very own laugh

**LINK**

Thread: All very nice, but who cares?
28/11/2017 01:17:52

"How much is it going to cost?"

Anyone remember the lovely Pandora from The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole.

Thread: Flying with the experts?
22/11/2017 00:11:21
Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2017 15:46:17:

We had a pair of Swans nest on our pond, when the Cygnets where ready to fly, they all waddled inline to the end of our runway and took off (no one was flying) very comical but no camera unfortunately....never did get their membership money. face 1

We often have ducks nesting near our flying field. As they usually have the place to themselves, they seem to totally ignore us when we are flying and come meandering through the pits and runway.

ducks at field.jpg

Here's some bird and model pics I have saved recently.

In the States - BoT cruising with a hawk

bot & hawk.jpg

When it's nesting season the local Magpies go a bit postal. Here my mate's EPP Eagle is getting monstered by a physco Maggie.

magpie.jpg

magpie4.jpg

This shot was taken in Bali by a guy flying an FPV enabled glider which crept up beside and asian eagle.

fpv eagle pic.jpg

I think this one was lookin' for luv.

eagles.jpg

From the PSS glider guys - some gulls expressing their displeasure at their airspace being invaded by a PSS Bison.

bison birds.jpg

Another glider shot - Falcon doing a dive bombing run on a sloper.

falcon.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 22/11/2017 00:17:08

Thread: Full size glider LiPo fire
14/11/2017 12:43:06

It still remains a bit of a mystery as to what actually caused the batteries to cook off. The AAIB report is inconclusive and they plan to do a detailed analysis of the batteries to try and determine a cause. The report was dated 25th September so perhaps some more info will be available before Xmas. The only "smoking gun" is a comment from the pilot that he dropped one of the batteries which may have caused fracture damage. The pilot should have had some warning in flight if the batteries were starting to cook off as the Front Electric Sustainer Control Unit is fairly detailed.

fcu.jpg

The batteries have built in fan units to help with cooling, so overheating should not have been a problem and even if it was the pilot should have had warning. As the combustion appears to have erupted on landing, perhaps a bump on touchdown triggered the failure.

Dumping a flaming mass of combusting lipo batteries is probably highly illegal and could lead to all sorts of grief. Even bailing out and leaving the glider to crash is going to potentially cause a nasty conflagration on impact.

Edited By KiwiKid on 14/11/2017 12:45:01

Thread: Glider Tow
13/11/2017 10:55:33
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 11/11/2017 22:08:48:

anything for a larf

Well .... quite laugh

launch.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues