By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: SBach 300 - Repairs and modifications
03/04/2020 16:22:08

Nice repair there, Ron.

You have inspired me to do a refurb job on my Weston Capiche 140. It looks a bit sorry for itself in the corner and while it is essentially undamaged, it looks a bit tatty and shall we say well used! A fair bit of replacement recovering will be required and a few bits of airframe replaced, but the frame and wings are sound. I have everything in stock to effect repairs. I even have some spare servos. It used to house an OS 160 FX (long gone) if I recall, but I will be relaunching it as an electric project. I will start a new thread soon with some photos of progress as I fear we are going to be workshop confined for some while yet. sad

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 10:30:03

I notice that Overlander website has stated it has stopped mail order until after the epidemic.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
18/03/2020 10:41:58

It was a bit surreal this morning setting out for our weekly shop. Unusually, Tescos was heaving at 8.15am and a lot of the shelves were either empty or rather sparse. However, across the road in Aldi the shelves were stacked high with hardly anybody in there! Very weird.surprise

09/03/2020 13:59:37

My reaction to all this is, just in case I don't have long left on the planet if I contract some incurable virus, is to buy a top of the range Hacker electric motor (100cc) . The only downside is it's cost me more than 2 weeks ago because the pound has collapsed against the euro crying.

Not worried about bog paper as I have bidet! cheeky

Thread: Nano Tech Cels
08/03/2020 09:05:57

**LINK**

I can highly recommend these from HK. Have got them in my 60cc electrics and the performance difference is noticeable compared to standard lipos. While the advertised discharges rates should be viewed with caution these lipos do do the business. The good thing they are in stock at the UK warehouse. Fortunately for me the Elmsett warehouse is just a 40 minute drive for me to pickup smiley

Thread: Your experience of Banggood delivery time?
05/03/2020 20:10:32

I have viewed Banggood's website and like the look of a couple of high capacity lipos. Now I am not sure of the wisdom of ordering them. Mainly there doesn't seem to be any stock control indication /out of stock information. Clearly here there has been some patchy reports about service/availability so I have my doubts particularly with something as sensitive as lipos and couriers. My other doubt is if they come direct from China (or not given the current situation) . Any recent experience? Thanks.

Thread: At last! Finally got out for a maiden flight
05/03/2020 12:48:16

Thanks Frank. The grass strip was laid over an old drainage channel built by the Americans in WWII. All through the winter it has never been unflyable which makes me a very lucky bunny. ✈️

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 05/03/2020 12:48:42

04/03/2020 15:14:54

An ideal day today to finally maiden my newest project. Sparkling day with very little breeze around 6mph straight down the strip. A few still in case of a bag of bits ending - p1060289.jpg

p1060291.jpg

A video clip of the flight - take off and landing the best bits as I only have a head cam so really too far away. First of two flights with both going very well.

**LINK**

I have the assembly thread plus numbers on FlyingGiants if you are interested.

**LINK**

Here's to the next decent day laughsmile d

Thread: Dog harassment while flying!
10/01/2020 19:44:18

I have had this type of situation before too. I tend to shout, when flying, to owners with uncontrollable dogs coming my way that if my plane (60cc) hits the animal it will sadly kill it. That usually provokes the right reaction.

Thread: BMFA
14/12/2019 10:50:46

Yes thumbs up to the BMFA yes I avoided all the long speculative threads (life's too short, for me anyway!) and just put my faith in the BMFA to do its stuff.

Thread: My jolly video of Santa flying his biplane!
14/12/2019 10:48:04

Loved it, Cliff! Well done teeth 2

Thread: Thumbs Up For Probuild UK
06/12/2019 19:53:11

If memory serves I recall in the past some criticism of Probuild UK. However, my very recent experience this past week I have nothing but praise for them and in particular front man Andy.

Probuild has some reductions recently on some of the larger scale Extreme Flight kits. It seems they are clearing the decks for the arrival of new stock as I understand it. Following my initial phone call to establish stock availability I took the plunge. Andy did say that the 3 boxes would quite likely arrive over two days (the largest being last). They were duly sent via DHL 24 hours. That's where it went rather pear shaped. The two smaller boxes arrived on time and I waited for the third one on the next day. Didn't arrive! In fact it sat at the depot for 3 days before I got fidgety. The tracking information I had access to was rather vague an just indicated "at the sortation facility" . I phoned Andy a couple of times to see, as a business client of DHL if he could access any further info. He came back and confirmed it was at the DHL/UKMail Ipswich depot. I tried unsuccessfully to call Customer Service three times. What laugh that was - no answer - at 7p a minute over a period of 30 minutes. Back to Andy who agreed with me that as the depot is 40 minutes away from me may be a visit to see what was going on was called for.

This I did and to cut a long story short apparently the driver couldn't get the box in his van and there it just sat in a delivery bay. The girl on reception went and searched for it after phoning the driver twice (who was out on deliveries) to see where the box was. Eventually she found it in the wrong bay. I said I'll take it with me right now to save them a job! I was just glad to liberate it from the depot! teeth 2.

Anyway, thanks to Andy in always being available when I phoned to help with the situation.thumbs up

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 06/12/2019 19:53:51

Thread: Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification
29/11/2019 17:39:04

I agree Gary, but to fit from the top would have been a major rebuild which I sort of didn't want to do.

Yes Bob, but I did let rip back at the work shop I can tell you.

29/11/2019 17:36:46

First the pros.

The CoG at the main wing spar seemed to work ok and indeed I didn't have to undertake any trim inputs. She wallows at little though, but I think that says more about her AUW, but I may be wrong. Whilst the motor comfortably pulled her round I think a little more increase in timing may be on order. It is only +5%. The roll and loop, which were the only things I tried were less than sparkling and I need a bit more throw here and there. Landing was interesting and I needed to watch carefully given 10 mph crosswind. All I needed to do was fly her in with a reasonable 1/4 of throttle.the two aileron servos per wing worked well too.

Cons.

Had I known the hatch was underneath I wouldn't have selected the plane as it is too much of a faff to set up at the field. I understand why Glen designed it this way, for IC use, but it is clearly not ideal for an electric conversion. It would have been nice to have better accessories that are actually usable with the plane and indeed a more generous specification of fittings. But I realise you get what you pay for. What to do next? I think I probably realised that electrIfying this plane was going to be problematic, but Hey! when has realism got in the way? I need to think about that one and I am certainly not put off by the experience. An Extreme Flight airframe is still a fantasy of mine. Oh dear!

Anyone fancy and airframe used once with cowl damage for IC use? Answers on a postcard ...........!

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 29/11/2019 17:40:04

29/11/2019 17:18:06

Bit of a disappointing day after a promising start! sad lovely sparkling day albeit with a stiffish crosswind on the strip so decided to do a bit of testing at the field. Started well enough as all loaded up.

p1060127.jpg

Started to deteriorate after that. Down at the field I inverted the plane on the cradle to get to the equipment compartment to fit the batteries. Well, because of the limited room in the fuze it took me the best part of 10 minutes to do that little job. I am sure I didn't have that trouble on the workbench. Hey Ho! That done fitted the wings and plugged in the ailerons. In the process of turning her upright I cracked the cowl angry.

p1060128.jpg

Well at that point I started to take the fatalistic approach and fitted the prop to test the motor live. I did a ground test and taxi test and all seemed ok (you will see from the video link here of my travails) . Steered her back to me only to notice the tail wheel assembly had pulled out. Grrrr. In hindsight there is a good reason for that. Firstly the ply plate at the rear of the fuze is too short for the tail wheel assembly supplied therefore the I screwed it into a less that secure part of the fuze.

p1060129.jpg

Nice C/F tail wheel assemble - shame it doesn't fit properly I which I acknowledge is my fault for not spotting it. By this time come what may (where have I heard that before?) I was going to get her into the air.

**LINK**

The best bits are the take off and landing! I only had a very short flight as I didn't want to push my luck. Something that would not have occured had I been at a club field. Out in the middle of nowhere I decided to give it a go.

The flight report and conclusions follow in the next post.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
22/11/2019 19:32:37

Interestingly, I attended a meeting with the Safer Neighbourhood Police Team for Mid Suffolk this morning as part of my role as a councillor and I asked how the policing of the new CAA regs would be handled. The comments I received were as follows:-

The police are aware of the the new laws, but no direction from higher management as to how to deal with it at local level has been forthcoming. Therefore not a priority at the moment. The comment from the inspector was that as far as drones are concerned that as sometimes the operator and drone are too far away from each other to apprehend the culprit, law enforcement can't be upheld. The exception is if it occurs near a forbidden zone such as airports. The police are more likely to be reactive rather than proactive.

Furthermore, there is a long list of police priorities ahead of this issue at the moment such as county lines drugs, seasonal thieving with cash, goods, tools all a target in particular, as there are no bank branches these days and consequently cash availability is limited unless it is from shop premises. That's before drunken/drug driving, contraband fags, booze and toys, vehicle speeding are included. Therefore anytime soon this issue it's not on the police radar.

This is just snapshot of Suffolk's response, but it tells you all you need to know for the moment.

Thread: Hobby king delivery charges
22/11/2019 14:13:39

Ordered 5 servos from HK UK warehouse Wednesday, (dispatched Thursday) sent by ParcelForce 48hr all for FREE, received today (Friday)! What's not like? smileyyes

Thread: Servo voltage question
17/11/2019 11:23:30

Thanks, Cymaz. The only one that comes close is the Hitec 5955 TG at 24 kg.cms. The manual for the a/c in question recommends MKS HV -777A or HBL-380X8, but I don't have the budget for those assuming I can even get hold of them. The recommendations are +30kg.cms as can be seen from the servos' spec and there's a good reason for that suggestion from my experience.

17/11/2019 09:26:42

To cut a long story short C8 the reasons for wanting this type of servo are twofold.

I was using 5 Magregor HV servos (31.5kg.cms) in a 60cc airframe, using a 3.6A 2S lipo for RX power only, given the the HV Futaba RXs I have can cope with it easily. The performance was sparkling using servos with this power. I had used some HV Savox 20kg.cms servos in this aircraft previously, but performance was underwhelming. Recently I used the original Macgregor servos for another project therefore I wish to replace them at less expense in the original airframe. The problem as I stated is the disparity in voltage rating on the Turnigy servos compared to the separate RX batteries (2S lipos) I now use. I have had Turnigy equipment before and have no issues with it.

Hence asking the rather basic original question. I rather expected the substance of answers I received here and it just confirmed my thoughts.

16/11/2019 18:12:56

Yes, Simon I realise I committed a typo on the 2S lipo voltage.

C8, as you realise I am looking to avoid a 6V nimh battery and indeed I guessed the higher voltage lipo would be inappropriate and you have confirmed that thanks. Basically I want adopt a simple answer such as this -

**LINK**

Unless you guys know better!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us