By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: propguy.co.uk phone number?
22/06/2018 13:11:02

Afraid to say me too in view of my experience with said outfit last year. sad

Thread: Bj's Modellflyg videos
21/06/2018 10:54:52

Keep 'em coming Bjarne! Cracking runway you have there. yes

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
17/06/2018 10:42:11

I am still in agony over the rugby, but no expectations on the footie however, John!

17/06/2018 10:36:49

Something published by the BMFA forwarded by our club secretary :-

If you have not already seen the post by Dave Phipps, Chief Executive of the BMFA, of late 15th June following the meeting between the Department of Transport, CAA and Model Flying Organisations, you can find the information on this link: https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2528/Update-on-changes-to-UK-Regulations-and-the-400ft-height-limit
The text is as follows:
The latest meeting between the Department for Transport (DfT), Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and representatives from the UK Model Flying Associations took place this afternoon (Friday 15th June) at the DfT offices in London.
The most urgent matter to address was the recent change to the Air Navigation Order (ANO) which introduced (in Article 94A) a 400ft height limit on the operation of all Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) which will come into effect on the 30th July 2018. Whilst the changes to the ANO are primarily aimed at regulating 'drones', the 400ft restriction will also apply to model aircraft below 7Kg.
However, we are pleased to report that agreement was reached that the Model Flying Associations will collectively apply for an exemption from Article 94A to allow their members to continue operating model aircraft below 7Kg above 400ft as they do under the current ANO. The DfT and CAA were supportive of this course of action and did not foresee any reason why the exemption would not be in place in time for the 30th July.
Negotiations on the other changes introduced in the ANO (operator registration and online testing for pilots) remain ongoing, but for now it is business as usual for members of the BMFA, LMA, SAA & FPVUK. Happy flying!
Are we agonising unnecessarily?
Thread: Essential RC's videos
14/06/2018 20:50:12

Really nice to see 50cc aircraft converted to electric power, Dom. The advances in motor and battery technology has really made the electrification of bigger models a reality. That's why I was encouraged to go that route a year or so ago and not looked back.

Thread: Futaba 14sg or 16sz, any thoughts?
14/06/2018 20:42:10

Rich, I have the 14SG for some while and I am very happy with it. I have only ever owned Futaba purely because the TX and peripherals seem bullet proof. The use of telemetry bits are available, although I accept it is not the cheapest around. Once you get round the programming routine it is quite intuitive. yes

Thread: propguy.co.uk phone number?
13/06/2018 05:56:28

John, in the few times I have had dealings with propguy I have found them notoriously difficult to communicate with. There is a thread here from me during last year on my experiences which were both frustrating and unsatisfactory. Hence, I stopped using them as a supplier. Seems they haven’t improved then.

Thread: Servo extension leads
08/06/2018 07:34:30

There is a very good tutorial in the October 2016 RCM&E about how to make up your own servo extensions leads. Indeed, it was after I read that I started to make my own and not looked back ever since.

04/06/2018 22:10:16

Making up the leads is the way to go I must say. I was worried about doing it to start with, but using a decent crimping tool and a bit of practise I have not looked back. And it is cheaper in the long run once the crimping tool has paid for itself. Any lengths to suit, what's not to like! wink

Thread: Sleeve nuts or longer adaptors?
04/06/2018 22:06:47

If I can be pointed in the right direction of this article/research, I will gladly take it on board, Nigel. I have an open mind on it. I know and accept that beyond a certain point APC electric type props are unsuitable. A case in point is for 30cc and above equvalent electrics, the larger wooden electric props are deemed better. I have 30cc & 60cc equivalent electric motors (both Dualsky) which I have used JXF wooden electric props which are undoubtedly thinner than the IC equivalent. The latter motor using a 24 x 8 size. They perform very well and have not come to grief after 4-5 hours usage.

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
04/06/2018 19:42:11

Whilst I am happy not to speculate on what we are required to do until the full judgement is known and statements are issued by the requisite official representative flying bodies, I have one question that will need further addressing. What are all the BMFA country members who aren't club members going to do? After all the BMFA is happy to take our subscriptions, so I would be interested to see how we will be treated. Same goes for the LMA and others of course.

Thread: Sleeve nuts or longer adaptors?
04/06/2018 19:32:57

Hi Glenn, I am a bit puzzled about your statement about not trusting APC electric props to handle the power. Do you have any evidence of that, assuming they are being used with the appropriate electric motor for the size you want fit? After all APC has a good reputation and I have been using them on a hot ship such as the Sebart Mythos 50E, using  the recommended Hacker  motor with no problem.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 04/06/2018 19:34:39

02/06/2018 19:06:50

Nigel, so the experts tell me it means less inertia, faster motor speed change which adds to the feeling of more responsive motor. Unless you know better of course! wink

02/06/2018 13:03:00

As a suggestion for that motor. Hope it helps.

**LINK**

02/06/2018 12:58:31

Would it be easier to buy a small number of electric props rather than spend big money on a lathe and such like, Bob? They are lighter than IC and therefore puts the motor under less strain (better performance?). Depending on the size you want, they don' t cost the earth. Just a thought.

Thread: Hobby King Yak 73"
29/05/2018 09:05:04

Welcome back to the flying field, Rich! smile d Belt and braces the way to go as you have done. It doesn't matter how long I have been flying, it's the landings that always find me out and I think that's so with all of us. The rest of it is easy! Best of luck for the next flights matey.

Thread: Lanier-Giles 202
24/05/2018 19:14:52

Very interesting build Erfolg. Watching with interest. I used to have a larger ARTF Giles 202 by Flair/CMPRO and loved it to bits - literally! Anyway nice to see a really detailed build. thumbs up

Thread: Bj's Modellflyg videos
13/05/2018 21:25:03

Seeing that gives me a taste for venison for dinner. Did it you too Bjarne? smile p

Thread: Silencer recommendations
13/05/2018 21:22:49

Each to their own, I guess. Don't have those problems now with electric glad to say, so I will disappear from this thread! wink

13/05/2018 16:53:08

I would have said PTFE joiner instead of silicone joiner, Antony. Purely because I don't think silicone can stand the heat and most petrol engine manifolds, with accessories, all come with PTFE joiners + clips.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 13/05/2018 16:53:34

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues