By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for PatMc

Here is a list of all the postings PatMc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Jet Pack Paramedic - Coming to a Hillside Near You!
30/09/2020 17:30:51
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 30/09/2020 16:25:45:
Posted by alex nicol on 30/09/2020 15:49:49:

I saw this and thought it was quite interesting. Admittedly my first thought was what happens if it cuts out, which was promptly countered by he'll be ground skimming so no flying high which is fair enough. My big concern is the top speed of 85mph............ What happens if it goes dead stick at that speed

The idea is not to fly at 85mph, but to use the Jet Pack to get the first responder up the hill a lot quicker than they could walk from the bottom. Even if he only goes at 10 mph he can fly straight up instead of taking a less direct route at 2-3mph.

What happens if a helicopter goes dead stick when it's winching............................

The first choice helicopter covering the Lake District is based at Penrith therefore from take off to hill would probably be within 20 - 25 mins. Jet Pack would be transported within vehicle probably take about the same time from mountain rescue base to hill depending on traffic. At the hill base the operator would need to be readied, dunno how long that would take, then JP up the hill in a few seconds. IMO from the same start time the helicopter responder would likely get there quicker most times.

The helicopters used are twins so a sudden dead stick situation is highly unlikely.

Wouldn't a scrambles type motor bike be a more economic option & overall just as fast or even faster if it was also roadworthy ?

Edited By PatMc on 30/09/2020 17:32:14

Thread: Multiple Photos
29/09/2020 00:10:18

Tosh, I used an old version of Paint Shop Pro recently to make a collage of several pictures in a this Phoenix thread that you started.

combo.jpg

I found it easy but I'm fairly well versed with PSP. However there are several free apps specifically for creating collages.
A quick google of "create collage" come up with this for example. I've no experience of it but it might suit what you want.

Edited By PatMc on 29/09/2020 00:14:22

Thread: Glider Height Restriction Anomaly?
26/09/2020 15:37:31

Have you looked in the BMFA Member's handbook ? There is now no distinction between powered models & gliders in each weight categories.

Thread: Media scare tactics
24/09/2020 20:42:56

The virus mutating was discussed & explained before lockdown in UK.

Thread: What folding prop
24/09/2020 12:31:10

I'm afraid you've had bad advice on the motor. The KV is too high, meaning it would be limited to using a prop too small for a decent climb rate with this model. IMO a heavier motor with smaller (lighter} 3s lipo would be a more suitable combo.
I suggest you read this thread on the Inside F5J & go for a similar power train to one of those.

I intend using one of these Keda motors with a 3s 900 mAH lipo when I build the Introduction. My Amigo 2 glider is powered by the 1050kv version of the same Keda motor driving a 9x5 prop. I could use a larger dia prop for faster climb rate but as the Amigo is a vintage glider I'm satisfied with the slower but still fairly brisk climb rate.

A 3.1mm/3.2mm can't be used with a 3mm shaft.

Edited By PatMc on 24/09/2020 12:32:13

Thread: Future balsa supplies in UK
23/09/2020 23:46:00
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 22/09/2020 20:22:11:

It would probably grow in Northern Queensland, although the labour costs in planting and harvesting may make this prohibitive.

IIRC there were some balsa trees growing in the Brisbane botanic garden when we visited it in 1988. thumbs up

Thread: Hollein introduction glider
23/09/2020 23:36:07

I think it's only that the covering is done first then the area between the two centre ribs cut away in order to fit parts F82.

23/09/2020 22:26:23

Parts F82 are mentioned in section 64 in the German "Introduction" instructions & in section 63 in the English translation of the "Inside" instructions.

23/09/2020 21:15:19

James, I have an un-started Introduction kit in my "yet to build" pile. Before I bought the kit I downloaded a Word doc file that has an English translation of it's instructions, also a pdf file of an English translation of it's sister kit, the "Inside F5b". Both were posted in the RC group site by builders.
The Inside is similar to the Introduction but with aileron wings.

If it's any help I can email you both files, just send me a PM with your email address.

Thread: What's flying over your house
17/09/2020 22:55:58
Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 16/09/2020 14:24:06:

Two Buzzards flew over just now as one did yesterday. They send the Parakeets wild and usually the Crows but not today.

Talking of buzzards, about a year or two ago I spotted 5 flying over our house heading east. We're only about 200 yds or 300 yds from the North Sea so I knew they'd either turn north or head back. I grabbed my bridge camera & caught three of them doing aerobatics over the house a few minutes later. The resolution isn't great as they were quite high so I've cropped the images for a closer look.

dsc_1788.jpg

dsc_1789.jpg

dsc_1790.jpg

dsc_1791.jpg

dsc_1797.jpg

Thread: Small self tappers
13/09/2020 17:31:24

Good selection at Modelfixings.

Thread: switching of main lipo battery
12/09/2020 17:43:43
Posted by Tosh McCaber on 12/09/2020 14:45:30:

You still have to take the hatch off to replace the battery!!

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 12/09/2020 14:45:41

Not necessarily.

Thread: vintage covering options advice please
12/09/2020 14:41:34

Tissue over doculam (AKA laminating film) is tear proof as film & can be as light as doped tissue. The tissue can be applied with either dope or water based clear varnish, if dope is used it will need fewer coats than tissue alone. Lightweight tissue would be strong enough for the Spectre.

Edited By PatMc on 12/09/2020 14:42:21

Thread: Wing damage repair advice wanted!
07/09/2020 17:40:31
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 07/09/2020 16:10:21:

When I've done this type of repair in the past, I've cut the section of damaged foam out with a 30ish deg angle, sort of a trapezodial shape, glues in a piece of foam (I used epoxy but would now use Gorilla glue), shape and put a balsa skin on it and a new leading edge with scarf joints to the existing leading edge, then finished sanding down the new balsa skin and leading edge and recover.

Looking at your photo, I'd cut out for one or two foam repair pieces depending on the inspection once the covering is stripped back, but in either case replace the leading edge with one piece spanning either side of the full repair.

Do a lateral balance of the full model after repair and add some weight to the good wing if needed.

Your proposed new wing tube sounds fine.

Similar to Frank but with a few differences - only shape the top part of the foam & skin with soft 1/8" balsa.
Next hold in place with the balsa skin flush with the wing upper surface, now shape the lower part of the foam flush with the lower wing surface.
Skin lower foam with 1/16" balsa.
Glue in place with the lower 1/16" balsa flush with or very slightly proud of the wing lower surface. I used foam friendly contact adhesive for the skinning & aliphatic to glue the foam in place (It does take longer but not that long) held in place with masking tape. Never tried gorilla glue as it wasn't around when I've done this type of repair.
Sand the balsa skins & the LE.
If the are any small gaps fill them with a mix of a little aliphatic & a water based filler.

Final sand, vacuum &/or tack cloth then cover.

Thread: Wrong receiver being controlled?!
06/09/2020 00:03:58

As suggested make up a template in a spare memory but - use either D8 or if you can't use D8 to External RF mode. You don't need a module plugged to be able to use the external rf mode.

Once you've copied the template change the mode to D16 (I don't have it but I presume you can do the same with Access). This means you will bind to a new memory automatically without having to remember.

BTW remember that all D8 mode Rx's will operate to any D8 mode memory in the Tx.  

Edited By PatMc on 06/09/2020 00:11:34

Thread: What's flying over your house
04/09/2020 22:12:18

Hi Jim, you must just about sick of the sight of them by now. Over the lockdown period the A400's doing circuits of Newcastle airport were the most common aircraft we saw from Seaton Sluice. teeth 2

OTOH last Monday saw this Christen Eagle from our back garden, the first time I've seen one outside of an airshow. It was heading north following the coastline, I just managed to grab the camera & snap it before it disappeared from view behind houses. By the sound I think it may have turned & headed back south over St Mary's island & just beyond sight from our house.

chr_eagle.jpg

Excuse the poor quality, it was so far away by the time I managed to snap it that I had to crop most of the image away to get a half decent picture.

Edited By PatMc on 04/09/2020 22:13:07

Thread: sas wild thing
30/08/2020 16:02:22

The best AA battery to get is an Eneloop 2000mAH, this one for instance. Don't be tempted to get any AA that has higher capacity.

The Rx & servos are not critical, any 2 or more channel Rx that will fit & Futaba 3003's should be fine. The model will probably still need some nose weight for balance but it's not a model that needs to be as light as possible.

Thread: ESC cutting out on one type of battery?
27/08/2020 14:11:02
Posted by Ian Whittaker on 25/08/2020 23:21:48:

for what it's worth his 2100 pack showed as 3 milliohms per cell, his 2900 battery 6 per cell. As a reference my 5200 and 5000 packs are about 2 per cell.

The 2900 should be lower IR than the 2100 (2200?)cells.
As I said earlier the IR should be inversely proportional to the cell capacity, if they have the same C rating.

Overlander only list one 3s 2900, it's 35C, but they list 4 different 2100 ranging from 25C to 80C.
Which 2200 battery is being used ?

This raises another point - 3s 2900 isn't a popular size of battery whereas 3s 2200 is very popular.
The 2900's may be old stock that have deteriorated in storage.
Or they may be being used outside their realistic (true) C rating.

It would be interesting to know what current is being pulled at the operating throttle setting. A 100A ESC seems OTT for 2200 or 2900 batteries.

Edited By PatMc on 27/08/2020 14:14:33

Thread: R/C KK Invader question
26/08/2020 21:47:01

Can I assume by "high start" you're referring to a what we used to call a bungee line ?
Have you ever used one before ?

I used to use a bungee quite a lot to practice & trim competition thermal gliders.
Although the initial launch can be fierce by the time the model has reached the top the model can be floated off the line.

Thread: Banggood Delivery Times
26/08/2020 12:36:59

Ordered a Rx from Banggood on 16 Aug @ 22.00 - informed @ 02.46 on 17 Aug that it was shipped with predicted delivery date 8 Sept.
It arrived today 26 Aug @ 10.00. thumbs up

PS When I ordered the same Rx several months ago (pre pandemic) I was informed within a couple of days that it was out off stock & invited to either cancel or await restock. I decided to wait, can't remember the exact timing but it arrived within 2 weeks of the order being placed.

Edited By PatMc on 26/08/2020 12:46:32

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!