By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mal brewer

Here is a list of all the postings mal brewer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
07/03/2019 22:10:03
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 07/03/2019 14:54:00:

Micromold....I've got a Spit 24 in primer to be a PSS model. It was/is quite a "woody" kit especially in the fuselage but I suppose that helps with longevity!

I've also got a Micromold P-51B that's done mucho flying with an old OS MAX 25.

They were good kits.

Hi Alan, I've had a Micromold kit for the P51B for many years. I foolishly lent the plan to it to a friend,who somehow lost it. I finally obtained a copy of the plan,since when it has sat in its box.I keep getting tempted to build it,it looks a fine model.I have a couple of suitable engines for it,an SC 25,or an OS25 FSR.Should be able to find some suitable retracts for it as well,got a couple of swap-meets coming up in the next few weeks...……….Mal

Thread: Wot wing for wots wot....
04/03/2019 19:28:20
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/03/2019 18:42:15:

Er, Paul, if you move the C of G rearward, I think you might need a lighter engine, or weight at the back end.

No, I am right, by the swept wing, the cofg will move rearward, so you need more weight on the front end to balance.

You measure cofg at the fuselage, not the wing; Think about it...

'Fraid you're wrong Paul. Percy is quite correct,if the model c/g is further rearward,it will require a lighter engine,or weight adding at the tail...…………...Mal

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
14/02/2019 23:04:30

That advert for 'Astral' kits brings back a few memories.In our house,around the mid '50's,there an Astral kit for a rubber powered Bristol Beaufighter. I believe it was produced during or very soon after the war,as all the printed sheets for wing ribs,fuselage formers etc,were not balsa,but a hard wood,looking back,I think it was obeche.It had a most unusual method of driving the props,whereby the rubber motors ran from the prop-shaft in each nacelle through the wings into the fuselage,where they were tethered.This resulted in each rubber motor being at about 30 degrees to the prop-shaft ! Totally impractical,and I would say,impossible to work.The model never got built,mind, wish I still had it !There were several models in the range,including,I think,a Halifax,all employing this strange drive system.I'm pretty certain they were designed by no less then H.J.Towner,a very well known scale modeller of the time,but how he could devise that drive system seem unreal. Does anybody else remember these kits & models ?,,,,,,,,,,Mal

Thread: Nigel Rollason (Astbury Rollason).
12/02/2019 21:02:08

Hi Colin, just shows what a small world we live in.I must have unknowingly have met Nigel when he was a youngster,as I used to fly at Sutton Park every sunday during the '50'S& 60's,weather permitting..I left Birmingham in 1964,and moved to Chester,where I still live.Incidentally,another local lad from around here,Donny Williams,also passengered for Nigel at the TT...………………….Mal

12/02/2019 16:36:01

Hi Colin, sad news indeed.Yes, I knew Nigel was a keen modeller,but I didn't know he was into yachting as well.A friend and workmate of mine ,Colin Bairnston,was his passenger in 83 & 84 at the sidecar TT.He used to ride ( drive? ) the unique Barton Phoenix engine in his sidecar outfit,and he did win a TT with it. He also won a TT on a solo machine,he was only the second person to win a TT on a solo and on a sidecar outfit..I knew he lived in the midlands,as I lived in Birmingham in my younger days,so you tend to follow fellow brummies……….Very sad and a bit ironic that after flirting with dangerous sports all his life,he should meet his end on a model flying site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mal

Thread: Whatever Happened To....
10/02/2019 22:16:44

I do remember some of Mr Boddey's C/L models. One was a Vickers Viscount if I remember correctly......

Hi Percy.yes back in the day ( around the sixties ) Maurice Bodey (1" D " was a very well-known modeller,and a great friend of mine.He,with his brother,and a chap called Bernie Davies founded the Heswall MAC,which later became,and still is,the Deeside MAC.This was in the Heswall, Cheshire area.He was employed by the Essso oil company,and moved to Nottingham when the company re-located.I used to visit his house every Wednesday for a cuppa and a good old natter,and of course,see what he was building.His models did indeed include the Viscount,which was the first of his designs published.Other models included The Shackleton,Dakota,Northop Black Widow,Halifax,plus several more designs.A great modeller,and a really nice bloke,sadly missed...….

Thread: Super Tigre 20cc - 30cc engine parts
13/11/2018 20:37:57

Hi Roger,

regarding the fuel tank capacity,believe it or not I used a plastic bottle that used to contain methylated spirits,from what I can recall it was 1/2 litre,which translates to approx. 17-18 oz ( I think ). I never actually timed my flights,but I never ran it dry,despite flying for about 12-15 minutes a flight.These engines are fairly economical on fuel,being quite a low revving unit.You will find full throttle will only be required for take-off and perhaps some vertical manoeuvres,so fuel usage will be quite low...……...hope that helps, but you will be able to get a rough check on consumption when you bench test it...…………..Mal.

13/11/2018 17:37:22

So `looking over this mounting and I spotted something I previously ignored. It`s now more obvious and not standard, someone has fitted a nipple for fuel tubing! Thing is why? On a two stroke? Puzzling me! Is this a reconised mod serving a purpose?

It may be a similar mod that I did to my engine.The nipple was used to pressurise an extra tank fitted for a smoke system.Richard Crapp described such a system as fitted to one of his models,I forget the name of the model,but it was a biplane powered by a Quadra 50cc petrol engine.Would it have been a Stolp Starduster Too? Anyway,the article inspired a few of us to try it,but with varying results.My experiments were never too successful,mainly due,I think.to the exhaust temperature on a glow engine being too low to produce a lot of smoke.Richard's system,using a petrol engine,was quite spectacular. So the nipple might have been for that,there again,maybe not ?...…...Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 13/11/2018 17:42:11

13/11/2018 11:21:07

I never noticed any excessive vibration with my st 3000 using the supplied radial mount bolted directly to the firewall. Mind you,you'll need a hefty firewall, mine was 1/2" ( 12 mm ) multi-ply well gusseted to the fuselage sides,and re-inforced with fibgeglass matting.Possibly a bit overkill,but it never came loose! Don't forget to balance the prop,I found a lot of props as bought were well out of balance,could be they're a lot better nowadays,I've not bought one for a while...…………….Mal

11/11/2018 15:41:36

Hi Roger,

I think you'll find the six bolt hub was made by Don Stothers,or at least he sold them, back around the eighties I think. One other point,don't set these engines too lean when ground testing them prior to flight,you'll find that they lean out in flight due to the prop 'unloading' and picking up revs once airbourne. So set it slightly rich and you'll find it very dependable...………...Mal

10/11/2018 22:43:24

Hi Roger,

you'll find you don't really need a starter for these engines,they really are the easiest starting engines ever.I ran a S.T. 3000 for aeveral years,all I ever used was a stout glove,nearly always it was a first flick start.You could flick forwards,or a backward flick,didn't seem to matter. Yes, 5% nitro,10% oil is ideal. I always used a 20x8 prop on a 72" aerobatic biplane,a Krier Kraft,weight around 17 lbs. Flew it with ease through any aerobatics,once set up correctly,100% reliable,don't ever recall a deadstick,and never had to touch the needles...……...thoroughly recommended,still got mine,and its going in another model...………...regards,Mal.

Thread: Best Plane You Have Owned
17/02/2018 21:52:30

Two models stand out, both superb,hard to say which was the better model. First model was a Sid King designed Radio Modeller plan built "Pussyfoot",I built and flew loads of them! The other outstanding model was an enlarged Don Stothers design of the "Krier Kraft Acromaster".I flew it for years,sold it to a clubmate,and he wrote it off first time he flew it. It flew so well I've just built another,it's just awaiting painting..........................Mal

Thread: Excerpt from Aero modeller 1971
16/02/2018 14:54:14

Wasn't it Pylonius who wrote a very amusing article about a Doug Spreng model,I think it was the " Twister",in which he argued ,in a comical way,about Doug's aerodynamic theories. He gently mocked Doug, including intentially spelling his name wrong in a very comical article. Pylonius,(who was he ?) always wrote a very amusing item,and was very clever in his use double meanings.................................Mal

Thread: Traditional Materials - Paxolin
14/02/2018 19:33:51
Posted by Peter Miller on 23/02/2012 08:32:49:

Tufnol is much, much stronger. IT is made from frabric not paper. There was an engine that used a Tufnol disc valve. Not sure which engine, may have been an ETA 29.

the Amco 3.5 bb used a Tufnol rear rotary disc valve........................Mal

Thread: Build a model from twisted wire?
24/11/2017 21:26:01
Posted by Tony Kenny on 24/11/2017 21:12:39:

It's non -alcoholic Question still stands though, why can't light weight twisted metal be used to create an airframe?

Not quite twisted wire, but does anybody remember the 'Frog Pioneer',an all alloy model built in a normal modelling manner,but all components,stringers,longerons,wing ribs and otherparts were either light alloy,plus the occasional plastic item,held together with special clips.This was,bear in mind,not an ARTF,but was assembled by the modeller.How successful it was I don't know,I never saw a completed model,if I recall correctly,the price was on the high side.........................Mal

Thread: 1965!
14/08/2015 13:27:30
Posted by ron evans on 14/08/2015 12:39:04:

fleetgg.jpg

This one is Shauns and has a Rand, but generally Fleets came with a Controllaire 'Ghost' actuator.

Edited By Phil Green on 14/08/2015 12:59:38

I had a Fleet radio with a Rand LR3 actuator,but it came as a one-piece combined actuator and r/x,but the r/x was uncased,with a separate deac. I part-exchanged it for a second-hand OS ten-channel reed outfit,with Climax Digimite servos,at Roland Scott's original shop in Bolton. That would have been in the late '60's...........Mal

Thread: C of G For Control line models
14/11/2014 21:04:19

Hi Danny,

sorry but you're completely wrong with what you are saying,I can only assume you misunderstood what you have read or heard from other c/l fliers.The bellcrank position is most important to the model,as it is the pivot for the model's flight attitude. The bellcrank pivot MUST be behind the c/g,and the lead-outs should be at 90 degrees to the flight path of the model.Having said that,a small amount of of lead-out sweep-back will do no harm.The further forward the c/g,the more line tension will be generated,and conversly,the further back the c/g,the less line tension,plus of course the model becomes more sensitive to elevator.................................Mal.

11/11/2014 11:08:32

Hi Steve,

the normal place for a safe c/g position on a c/l model is on the front line position { i.e. level with the front lead-out from the bellcrank}. I think you will find that to be a satisfactory position...............Mal.

Thread: 1st Round Voting Thread
16/10/2014 16:32:43

1st funfighter

2nd atom special

Thread: Wanted - Webbit - Plans and Instructions
07/09/2014 20:59:58

Hi all,

I don't know why AlanJ hasn't mentioned that a set of plans will be on their way to him tomorrow morning.I sent him an e-mail and he telephoned me on Friday evening and the sending of drawings was arranged.I thought he would have let the forum know to save anybody else the hassle of finding the plans............................Mal.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us