By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mal brewer

Here is a list of all the postings mal brewer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Robust Model Requires
13/01/2010 17:14:38

As has been suggested,a kit-built 'Wot 4'. I 've just completed mine up to the covering stage, which will be glasscloth/epoxy. You can't beat it, tough, ding- proof, & 100% fuel-proof. And, if applied correctly,not excessively heavy. I'm going to weigh mine 'before & after' to check weight gain, I'll post weights if anybody is interested...............Mal.
Thread: David Boddington
12/01/2010 23:14:13

Very sad to hear of 'Boddo's' illness. I have had dealings (not many) with David over many years,both personally ,and by mail or telephone,most recently with regard to his Boddo Mills' engines,and I have always found him to be a 100% genuine guy.Wishing him a speedy recovery,and best wishes to him and his family................Mal.
Thread: Ideas for articles in RCM&E
09/01/2010 00:09:31

Virtually every one of the idea's for magazine articles suggested have been featured,some of them very recently,such as  manoeuvres,landings,take-offs,etc,repairing tecniques,and many more.I  sometimes wonder if some of the writers of these posts actually read the magazine.I find the opposite,in that articles are being repeated time and again,but I do realise that newcomers to the hobby are arriving constantly,and we could all do with a bit of a refresher course occasionally.After all,you should never think you know it all,you can always learn from others.An article I've not seen for a long time,however ,is an item on finishing a model in a 'traditional' type finish,i.e. tissue or nylon ,dope and paint,glass-cloth covering,and spray-painting.However,there may not be much demand for this type of article in this artf age.I find the best way for people to learn something is to join a decent club and ask,ask, ask .Then try it,if you do it wrong,ask why,you'll soon learn,there's nothing like experience.........Mal.
Thread: Building the Little Toot
08/01/2010 12:04:09

Alan,you could try your local B+Q for your ali. strip,they sell quite a range in their stores.I'm not sure what department it is classed as,but they have a section of different metal strip,tubing and channels.Very useful.You say you will be using servo hatches on top of the wing,well the hatches may not be scale,but the full-size 'Toot' had the control horns on the upper surface of the ailerons,so you're nearly scale.The model should look really good when completed,I've always liked the 'Li'l Toot',I built one about 12 years ago, to 1/3 scale,with a Zenoah 62 engine,which fitted completely within the cowl.I sold this model a long time ago,I don't know if it's still around,does anybody know?..............Mal.
Thread: 633 Mosquito's
07/01/2010 13:56:05

Just been reading up on BBMF Lancaster PA474.This aircraft was built in Chester mid-1945,and was delivered too late to see active war-time service.Like NX611 'Just Jane'',it was earmarked for the far east Tiger Force,which never came about,for the reason stated in my previuos post.It was allocated to 82 Squadron,where it carried out photo-recce work.I t was at this squadron that the turrets were removed.It was used in two films,'The guns of Navurone', not sure about the other film,and was eventually acquired by the BBMF.A new main-spar was fitted '95-'96, but no mention of a Griffin........Mal.
07/01/2010 13:40:51

Sorry Taildragger,I mis-read your previous post.However,I wouldn't have thought that the BBMF Lancaster has a Griffin fitted,for the reason I stated before,Mind you,I don't know,somebody will supply the answer...............................Mal.
07/01/2010 11:10:46

Hi, just had a look at some of 'Just Jane's' history.According to the Paton brothers,who own her,she was originally built for the 'Tiger Force' that was intended for the conquest of Japan.So she never saw war service,and is apparently all original.Of course,due to the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki,it was no longer required.She was put into storage,and later acquired by the French Air Force.She later returned to this country,and was later purchased by the above Paton brothers,who returned her to her present condition.They have just been supplied with two Merlins,completely overhauled to airworthy standards and zero houred,these were built by Eye-Tech engineering,I seem to think they're from Cambridgeshire.Hell of a task they've taken on,I think they deserve all respect..........heck,I can hardly keep my models in a good condition....................Mal
07/01/2010 07:47:20

I wouldn't have thought that  'Just Jane' would have a Griffin fitted,mind you I don't know, it just seems unlikely. The Griffin is physically a much bigger engine than the Merlin.However, you could be right,I must check that out,I've got a bit of gen on 'Just Jane'. I would mthink it more likely she has different mks of Merlin,as, incidentally, did the 'Mosquito' mentioned earlier that was lost in 1996............Mal.
Thread: Middle Phase - torque rods OR wing servos?
06/01/2010 23:33:17

Roderic, you will have a much stronger wing by not slotting the veneer.The veneer acts as a sort of 'stressed skin', the foam is only there to keep the aerofoil section,and to keep the veneer skins apart. You will find it fairly easy to bore a hole through the foam for your servo lead, I find a piece of 15 mm copper water pipe the ideal size.I f you cut your servo hole in the wing, at about 2/3 to 1/2 span out,you can then line up the pipe with the servo cut-out.Sharpen the end of the pipe,and bore through at mid-depth of the core.P.s. the tube is not left in the wing,I know you know,but.......................Mal.
Thread: ARTF quality
06/01/2010 22:54:48

Kelvin, now that is a good idea.They could make a completely finished version, and also sell an uncovered airframe which would solve two problems. ( 1 ) we could check the build quality, and also make any modifications we wished, ( 2 ) we could finish the model in any desired colour scheme,we could even cover it with solartex or nylon and paint it. 10/10 for that one........Mal.
Thread: New Bee
06/01/2010 18:49:37

By the way,the original plans are still available, look in Hobbystore  'X' plans..........Mal.
06/01/2010 18:47:14

No, that's a 'Mam'selle'. The original was a Vic Smeed design, from about 1956 or '57,I think the model illistrated is the enlarged version, published in RCME about 12 months ago as a free plan.As such, it is suitable for a .10-.15 engine. The original is 38" span,and designed for .5c.c.-.8c.c. engines and for free-flight operation.I built one whilst at school,and have just completed another one fitted with 2-channel radio and a Boddo Mills 75.................Mal.
Thread: Ready for covering ?
06/01/2010 17:14:14

Yellow is always a bad colour for hiding dark marks on the underlying surface,wether it be paint,solarfilm, or solartex you are using.If you intend painting in yellow,it is advisable to use a white undercoat,or a preliminary coat of white paint,which unfortunately increases the weight of the completed model. Of course,you can't do this if using a film or 'tex finish,or perhaps you can. But normally,different shades of wood (i.e. balsa-ply) will be evident through the finish when using yellow. It only appears to be yellow that suffers from this characteristic,must be something to do with the pigments used...........Mal.
Thread: Balsa kits
06/01/2010 15:14:44

Hi Tony, D B kits do a Spitfire and a Hurricane, as does Brian T aylor,if they're a little on the large size, Tony Nijhuis also does a Spitfire ( in various sizes) and a Hurricane,which are much simpler build than Brian Taylor's,Flair do a Texan/Havard, TopFlight do a Mustang, Dave Platt produces  Spitfires, FW 190's and several other war aircraft (hate the term 'warbird' almost as much as I hate 'tailfeathers',when did aircraft start growing feathers ? They're tailsurfaces, or tailplane and fin & rudder. Back to the subject, if you look,they're still plenty of kits around,as has already been suggested, pick an aircraft,have a look around,if you can't find what you want,come back to the forum, someone will find something for you.....................Mal.
Thread: The Mode Survey - what do you fly?
06/01/2010 13:02:41

Just a slight diversion here, what is mode 4, or mode 3, if there is one? And did anybody ever fly with the 'cuddle-box' type transmitter,I think Idris Francs's 'Flight-Link' radio was of this type...................Mal.
Thread: Balsa kits
06/01/2010 10:44:10

Hello Tony,I think you will find that a lot of plan publisher can supply C.N.C. cut parts for their designs,certainly they can be obtained for the Brian Taylor range,also Tony Nujhuis can supply parts and wood-packs for his models.If you can find them,Flair seem to have a bit of a run now and again,and Pegasus Models have a good range of American kits in stock.But I agree, they're not that numerous now.............Mal.
Thread: 633 Mosquito's
06/01/2010 10:37:05
The Mosquito that was lost was performing at Barton aerodrome,Manchester,and was,believe it or not,about  1996 or 1997,no doubt somebody will know the exact year.Doen't seem that long ago,does it.A friend of mine used to work on this aircraft,I think it was serial no. R228, at British Aerospace at Broughton,Chester.A very tragic loss,it occurred during a period of many historic aircraft losses....................Mal.
Thread: The Mode Survey - what do you fly?
05/01/2010 14:02:53

Mode 2 (despite being an ex-reed flyer) everybody in my club is mode 2 (25 members)

Cheshire

Cheshire

Self-taught

.............Mal.
Thread: Bootlace
04/01/2010 12:21:37

By the way,it was Ron Warring,I think it was spelt with 2 'r's'. By a strange coincidence,I have just built a couple of Vic Smeed designs, a 'Mam'selle', and a 'Ballerina'. I remember building a 'Mam'selle'' whilst at school,from the free plan published in the Christmas 'Aeromodeller'', I think that was 1957.....................Mal.
04/01/2010 12:13:20

Hello Erfolg ,yes you're quite correct,it was an Ian Peacock design,must have been another senior moment on my part! Mind you,they were both prolific designers at the time,and both designed,dare I say it,similar type of models.I know we're going off the original thread a little now,but you seem to be somewhat similar to me,I'm afraid.I too,have just had my loft re-insulated,and as a result,I took literally a van load of magazines to the local tip.I kept the more interesting mags,but I've still got another van-load I'm hanging on to.I also modelled from before my teens without adult assistance,and as a result I read everything I could about aeronautics,building tecniques,and covering and finishing systems.Engines were stripped and re-built,models stripped for any spares,everything was done on a shoestring.I think most older modellers will be rather similar,includig of course,P.M.............Mal.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us