By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mal brewer

Here is a list of all the postings mal brewer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alloy Spinner stand off......
14/02/2012 19:45:47

Posted by Peter Ward on 14/02/2012 19:11:02:

So, a 1/2 inch UNF bolt uses a 1/2 inch spanner but the bolt shank and thread are obviously smaller.

a 1/2"" UNF bolt has a thread and shank diameter of 1/2",and will obviously use a spanner of a larger size,commonly known a an af (across flats) spanner,i.e. a 1/2" AF spanneris 1/2" across the jaws.UNF bolts are always referred to by the diameter of their thread,i.e. a 1/4" UNF has a diameter of 1/4",etc.,but it will not use a 1/4" spanner,the spanner to fit will be,I think,a 1/2"" AF for 1/4" UNF,i.e. the spanner uses the measurment of the bolt head..................................Mal.

Edited By mal brewer on 14/02/2012 19:51:08

Thread: Super Tigre s2000 25.cc help
29/12/2011 20:00:20

Hi,
I've never had a Super Tigre 2500, but I ran for many years a ST 2000,also a ST3000,which are basically the same engine,although of differing capacities.I found them to be ultra-reliable running on straight fuel containing only 10% oil.They did have to be set slightly rich on the ground,as they leaned out quite a bit in the air,apart from that they were 100% reliable............................Mal
Thread: Who left the cake er.. model out in the rain
10/12/2011 22:14:37
Posted by Erfolg on 04/12/2011 12:05:47:
I am sure that RCM&E have run articles in the recent past and certainly the past on how to do this sort of repair.

What have happened to Hughes and Stringwell? Both excellent writers.

Dave Hughes passed away quite a few years ago,from what I recall he was at a fairly early age.I don't know if George Stringwell is still with us,as you say,an excellent,if slightly controversial,writer. I still remember his articles on how to deal with council bye-laws and planning permission.!!..................................Mal.

Thread: Mam'selle.......
05/12/2011 11:48:37
Posted by Danny Fenton on 05/12/2011 10:42:58:
You mean I have the wrong props on their way? Now you tell me

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,
what you really need is a Keil Kraft 'truflex' prop, which seemed to be made from a reddish-brown type of soft plastic,or hard rubber composition.You could almost tie one into a knot they were so flexible,I don't know what kind of shapes they assumed when bolted onto the front of a 'hot' diesel,such as an Amco 3.5cc.They would even distort if the prop-nut was overtightened,but we loved them because they were unbreakable............................Mal
30/11/2011 13:20:29

Hi Danny,
funny enough,I was having the same thoughts about your cowl as steve is.You say mine is tighter cowled than yours,but the front of my cowl appears to be narrower than yours,and the Mills .75,being a long-stroke engine,has a lot more of the cylinder finning exposed to the airflow,as it protrudes from the cowling a lot more than your paw.It might be an idea to 'thin down' the sides of the cowl interior in the vicinity of the cylinder to allow a less restrictive passage of air around the cylinder............................................Mal
30/11/2011 11:15:11

Hi Danny,
I know I'm making heavy weather with this,but I still don't see how you are going to hold the screws whilst you tighten your nuts,if you'll excuse the pun.Do I understand correctly that you are going to hold the exposed end of the bolts with your 'vintage' forceps while you apply a spanner to the nuts,as there doesn't appear to be enough clearance between the engine cylinder and cowl to insert a screwdriver.........................Mal
30/11/2011 01:43:38

Hi Danny,
model's looking good.Yes,it is a bit of a struggle covering the fuselage with one piece of Litespan per side,it gave me a few laughs as well.I think mine may have been a bit more awkward than yours,as I attached the tailplane and fin (oops,nearly said tail feathers) prior to covering.One thing that does puzzle me,and always has done on this model,how do you insert and tighten the lower engine mounting bolts.On my own model I have made the lower cowl detachable,but yours appears to be permanently atttached to the fuselage,as was the prototype model's,or am I missing something ?..............cheers,Mal.
29/11/2011 10:58:21
Posted by Danny Fenton on 29/11/2011 10:49:50:

Okay Mal where do I get a genuine metal tinned primer bottle Should go well with my wooly vest

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,
don't really know where you would get one of the metal valvespouts' from.It's a case of digging around.I've seen them on sale for ridiculous prices on places like e-bay,I've also seen them for a couple of quid at autojumbles etc.So the answer is really you'll find one where you'll find one,if you know what I mean.Not much help,I'm afraid..............................cheers,Mal
29/11/2011 10:31:17
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 29/11/2011 10:10:53:

Just thinking about fuel.....I trust you are planning on using one of these.

Tut tut Steve and Danny, far too modern........................you've got to use one of these.........................

a metal valvespout..................................Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 29/11/2011 10:32:53

Edited By mal brewer on 29/11/2011 10:34:59

Thread: 2012 Vintage Mass Build Chat Thread
24/11/2011 15:17:47
Posted by Sparks on 24/11/2011 10:43:32:
Yes Chris,

A couple of coats of dope on the balsa followed by sanding. Wet the silk under the tap, wring it out, lay it on the structure and apply full strength dope around the edges to attach the silk. Then a couple of coats of 50/50 dope/thinners all over to shrink. Then a few coats of PolyC to seal and finish off. Amazing how well the silk goes round the corners, as good as Solarfilm but with the added bonus of the dope fumes!

Cheers, Richard

Hi Sparks,or can I call you Richard,
very nice looking model.Interesting to see you have used wet silk to cover it.I have used exactly the same method of covering on many occasions,but never with silk,I've always used nylon.However,nylon requires a pretty hefty airframe,as the shrinkage rate is pretty impressive,and will twist any slightly weak airframe into some very interesting shapes! I'm assuming silk doesn't excert quite so much pressure on the model,and is suitable for the more delicate structure........................................Mal

24/11/2011 12:02:05
Posted by Danny Fenton on 23/11/2011 21:31:31:
I think a lot of these models probably fly better without us telling them which way to go. Like prodding a stable model with a stick
Cheers
Danny

Hi, a standard joke of the era was of two modellers watching a model in flight..............one says to the other ' that model seems very unstable', the other modeller replies,'no,I think it's radio controlled'............................................Mal.

Thread: Vintage Roll Call for Greenacres
23/11/2011 13:53:32

Put me on the list please BEB........................plan-built 'Deacon'.................cheers,Mal
Thread: Mam'selle.......
22/11/2011 13:42:16
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 22/11/2011 11:05:37:
In retrospect I think I might have been a little too hasty here......

I think different nuts could be allowed IF that was all you had in stock, it was late on a Saturday night & you were unable to bicycle to the model shop AND you had a competition on the Sunday......

Different nuts ? When we used to build whilst still a schoolboy (cue violins playing softly) different nuts would have been a luxury.We couldn't afford,or find 4 nuts and bolts,we used to use 2 set diagonally in the engine bearers (cue Monty Pythons 4 Yorkshiremen).If we didn't have a drill,we used to burn the holes in the beares with a red-hot piece of wire.................ahhh,the good old days.....................Mal

22/11/2011 13:34:16

I'm sure it will,Danny.................................Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 22/11/2011 13:34:50

22/11/2011 13:06:41

Here's a couple of shots of the servo installation.The servos are mounted on a ply/balsa tray,together with the switch,and the r/x is fitted below the tray.I used wire snakes in plastic tube to couple the servos with the tail surfaces.....................

and don't forget,it won't fly without one of these...........................

.................................................cheers,Mal
22/11/2011 12:52:21

Hi Chris,
you're quite correct,Litespan is said to be fuelproof,but we've found with both litespan and solartex they seem to get 'ingrained' with handling etc,and soon look grubby. Hey,but I suppose that would be an instant 'vintage' look.The fuselage in sprayed with 2-pack car enamel...................cheers,Mal
22/11/2011 12:33:11

Right, let's see if I can post some more pics..............................

below is cowled engine,a Mills .75.......................

top cowl off, showing tinplate tank.............................

rest of cowl removed, rest of fuel tank....................

you can probably just about see the 4xaaa power supply attached to the lower engin bearer..............here's a better picture of it....................

and again............................................

hope that helps a little, I'll post some of the servo installation soon....................Mal
22/11/2011 12:20:35

Hi Danny,
I'm going to try and post a couple of pictures of my 'Mam'selle', hopefully they will come out ok.My camera isn't impressing me that much,I might even have to splash out on a better one.........(poor workman etc etc)....................here goes...................

picture ,obviously ,of the wing,showing effect of fuel-proofed 'litespan............

Hmmmmmmmm, worked that time,I'll post some of the engine and servo installation in a short while..........................Mal
Thread: DC Engine Identification please
22/11/2011 00:03:39

Hi,
yes it's definitely a Merlin 0.76cc. This is a standard Merlin,they also did a 'Super Merlin', which had red anodised cylinder finning,and a red anodised spinner .Apart from this anodising,it appeared to be identical to a standard Merlin. Later Merlins were fitted with an 'easystart' spring starter...........................Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 22/11/2011 00:04:09

Thread: 2012 Vintage Mass Build - What are you building?
21/11/2011 21:20:07

Almost certain it will be a plan built 'Deacon',designed by the great Phil Smith,and kitted by Veron,powered by a Boddo Mills 1.3
.........................Mal
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us