By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David perry 1

Here is a list of all the postings David perry 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: T8J and THFSS
22/11/2020 11:25:36

Ah, thanks and I am sorry for your loss!!

D

21/11/2020 22:55:20

I have a t8j, fhss tranny. Am i xorrect in thinking that the tranny will NOT support TFHSS receivers?

Thread: Tony N 50mm fan TSR2
30/09/2020 16:46:02

Im also awaiting this plan. Such a cool jet

Thread: Why RC? Why not FF?
03/09/2020 15:49:32

I really admire FF people, especially when i see the model climb clockwise then descend anticlockwise and land on the strip. BUT...I dont think thats usual. And I enjoy piloting my models around, even if its only on rudder. I love Rc, always have, always will.

Thread: Glue throwing peg
29/07/2020 14:22:08

I imagine they say thick cyano because thin cyano is instant on CF. Get the glue in before the peg is right and, well, lets not go there...cough cough. Thick might give you a few seconds of movement.

28/07/2020 22:15:35

Just glue it in. Its not special.

Thread: Aero art
16/07/2020 19:41:18

i used to fly them. lovely plane.

Thread: Alfa model airframe anyone?
12/07/2020 15:19:40

A shot of the longest range but my fan unit needs a new coat in the form of an Alfa models F86 or Mig. Or any 64mm shell probably.

Anyone?

David

Thread: Rubber motor lubrication
09/07/2020 00:03:30

Funnily enough ive found myself watxhing a lot of ff rubber powered videos in yoochoob recently and ive begun to get an itch. I converted my ff rubber sapphire to micro electric and rc and its tremwndous fun. But rubber ff seems so pure...

Thread: Does anyone remember...
30/06/2020 23:33:31

Indeed they could be a pig. Mine was red too so presumably a Super!it never flew though and was a pig to start. I think the only dieawls ive ever succceeded with were PAW.

The merlin did xonvert me to glow engines and if i close my eyes i can still smell the little .19 glow i had. Eventually built a Taurus trainer. I was about 13 and it would be another 10 years before i learnt to fly rc properly on a super sixty.

30/06/2020 20:01:56
Posted by David perry 1 on 29/06/2020 22:36:05:

Some interesting names and models in this thread now. Makes a good read in its own right. Funny how we all move on and these names fade away...yet all real people of course. I do remember the two chaps, brothers, who ran arcade model shop in dudley. I loved it there...smelled of dope and balsa. Bought a diesel engine...my first motor. Cant recall the name...itwas red headed and only about a cc. Cant recall whether it ever flew.

I built.loads of rubber ff stuff from that shop and never ceased to be cheesed off when the brothers teied to tell me that my paiting with coloured dope would render it too heavy to fly. No.it wont. It might render it uncompetitive but it will be beautiful and uncompetitive. I still get narked when shop keepers tell me something wont work.

Happy daze

Merlin! That was my engine.

29/06/2020 22:36:05

Some interesting names and models in this thread now. Makes a good read in its own right. Funny how we all move on and these names fade away...yet all real people of course. I do remember the two chaps, brothers, who ran arcade model shop in dudley. I loved it there...smelled of dope and balsa. Bought a diesel engine...my first motor. Cant recall the name...itwas red headed and only about a cc. Cant recall whether it ever flew.

I built.loads of rubber ff stuff from that shop and never ceased to be cheesed off when the brothers teied to tell me that my paiting with coloured dope would render it too heavy to fly. No.it wont. It might render it uncompetitive but it will be beautiful and uncompetitive. I still get narked when shop keepers tell me something wont work.

Happy daze

Thread: What glues do you use?
28/06/2020 23:21:28

Epoxy and pva. Actually i use wood glue from jewsons. And ive just discovered that it goes off too...my sinbad has failing joints all over from old glue. Im regluing the lot with new stuff.

Also use cyano but not much.

I think thats it. I tried aliphatic but prefer white pva type as it washes out.of my best trousers better. Yes i know.

I never use balsa cement now but i might try some on my next vintage job

28/06/2020 23:18:06

I remember Bobs and Jim D. Good shops.

One i only ever visited once and i bought a lovely jodel on impulse, was Apple models in liverpool. Not in liverpool but close enough.

Cant remember now...

Thread: Covering tissue
28/06/2020 17:11:30

Thanks guys.

I am aware that contest FF guys do that tissue on film.trick but always seems fiddly. Not to mention pricy! I nevernmind sagging tissue...i dont chase cups. Thanks though.

28/06/2020 15:45:43

Flight line, park lane yes thats the one. Obviously not recalled by any bar meself. Thanks for looking itnup. Was that in an online archive somewhere?

28/06/2020 13:28:35

Probably right Cuban8. I could never afford back then what my kids afford now. Remember the old"please allow 28 days for mail order". 28 days!!! Strewth...28 hours is long now. Its a joke really. No deferred gratification anymore.

On the other hand...i have an electeic powered radio conteolled ex rubber powered free flight 24 inch Sapphire which would have been impossible. Is that good? Im not sure, in the whole, but its fun.

Im getting back into building vintage gliders and reduacovering the simple joys of balsa bashing rather than foam hacking. Delicious but dusty.

My other main hobby is amateur radio and the golden age of that, c1970 to 1980 was an age when a good commercial radio cost an enormous sum of money, truly enormous. Many months worth. Today its a few weeks worth for most.

And wouldi swap my futaba tx for my first stavely 4 channel? Nope.

But we drift ..Flightline in tipton. And i still never have built myself a big spitfire.

Thread: Covering tissue
28/06/2020 13:16:24

Just about ready to cover my 60 inch super sinbad. I was going for transparent solarfilm but im starting to think nah, leVe that in the cupboard and use tissue instead.

Ive seen the ben buckle medium tissue on steve webbs website but never used that tissue. Is thatlikely to be okay for a 60 inch glider? Id normally use heavy but this is sold as medium.

Anyone used it?

David

28/06/2020 11:09:54

Bob...tv engineer in the 80s? You must have been a radio amateur! Probably met you in ray withers hagley road shop where i worked

David

28/06/2020 09:27:16

Tim

No, Penn models i also know well and a son of a friemd of mine works, or worked, there. Penn models was a good shop but a bit off my patch. My local shop was the arcade model shop in dudley town centre. What a place...i still literally have dreams about that place and im 57 now. Maybe i sniffed too much dope a d diesel as a kid...

Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!