By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MaxG

Here is a list of all the postings MaxG has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Blue Foam
26/06/2020 13:15:56

Have you also looked at the Kingspan boards available from such as Wickes or other builders merchants. I know they usually have aluminium foil stuck to them but that will probably peel off and leave the foam which you can then use.

Maxg

26/06/2020 13:08:28

Have a look at the B&Q website as there are things on there that may be suitable. Maybe a trip to local B&Q for a look.

https://www.diy.com/departments/jablite-polystyrene-insulation-board-l-2-4m-w-1-2m-t-100mm/26820_BQ.prd

HTH

Maxg

Thread: Fixing bubbles in EPP tape covering
19/06/2020 11:14:00

Why not retape it yourself. Not difficult and you would have a model whose decoration suits you,

Maxg

Thread: astro craft hitec hs 100 servo info
06/06/2020 18:53:16

Try this site **LINK**

Cant find a 100 but there is a 101 which may be similar.

HTH

Maxg

Thread: What's flying over your house
31/05/2020 16:28:25

We had the Hurricane and Spitfire from Coningsby overhead either yesterday or the day before, can't remember which. The sound drew my attention as you may expect.

Maxg

Thread: Model Teaser
18/05/2020 19:23:35

Swift?

18/05/2020 19:22:57

Gnat?

Thread: What's flying over your house
01/05/2020 09:29:26

Which is the best of all the various apps for this sort of stuff?

I have Flightradar 24 but it does not show all the military traffic we get over North Lincolnshire including American stuff.

Thanks

Maxg

Thread: Flying check lists
29/04/2020 10:54:52

Have just spent some time programming my Tx and an associated gyro stabilised Rx.

By the time I had programmed flight phases, dual rates, timers, expo etc I realised that I needed to have a checklist for when I decided to fly the particular model.

It then made me muse on how complex things are now. When I started on 27Mhz there were no servo reversers, model memories, sub trim, rate switches, timers or flight phases. You set up all models on the Tx exactly the same. In fact when you built them you installed the servo and push rods exactly the same. After trimming flights all trims were returned to neutral and suitable adjustments made to servos and pushrods etc.

It was a bit of a faff but after that every time you picked up the Tx it was ready to go whatever model you had picked up. No crashes then due to wrong model or memory.

All these new fangled sophistications are well and good but they do have their price.

I must admit that I do use all the modern gadgets but I do tend to sort servos and trims back to zero even though I don't really need to. Habit I suppose.

Maxg

Thread: Stand or sit
26/04/2020 12:06:13

I usually stand but that makes my back ache sometimes. I made a workstand thing that goes in my bench vice to allow small items to be worked on with a straight back. Got the idea from a utube video of a high end watchmaker factory in Switzerland. It doubles as a fretsaw bench and a flat cutting board. The black cutting board is a discarded chopping board from SWMBO. It works very well for me and also has the advantage of moving small items nearer my aged eyes.

workholder.jpg

workholder 2.jpg

Maxg

Thread: Source of connectors, 5 & 8 pin.
21/04/2020 17:12:20
Posted by Chris Walby on 21/04/2020 15:19:22:

Best use MPX or similar, don't forget you can always use a male and female on each wing with a couple of coloured heat shrink bands to denote port/starboard.

Where I have done this I had a male Mpx on one panel and a female Mpx on the other panel. In this way you cannot connect the wrong wing to the Rx harness if you see what I mean.

Maxg

21/04/2020 13:45:58

Have you tried **LINK** or **LINK** .

Alternatively 4Max do multi way connectors now. Alternatively what about 9 pin D sockets.

Maxg

Thread: Taurus retro aerobatic build
10/04/2020 18:38:04

With respect to the tailplane structure, I think that it is a method that was popular in the 80s. The Airtronics Aquila and similar designs in that range of gliders used that style of taiplane. I built one like that for an Aquila last year.

Much lighter than sheet and also a lot less expensive balsa used which could have been an issue in those times.

Maxg

Thread: Starter Motor Refurbishment
10/04/2020 13:24:41

My very old Ripmax one is the same with 2 long bolts. Have had it to bits in the past to replace the power cable. Back together again without any particular difficulty, just a bit of fiddling. works ok.

Thread: ESC with separate HV battery
07/04/2020 12:48:30

If I wire up an ESC which has an SBEC in it and disable the SBEC by removing the red wire at the RX are there any issues if I use a 2S Lipo as the RX battery?

The higher voltage of the 2S Lipo will not harm the ESC under these conditions will it?

The model has HV servos and the RX is Hv capable.

TIA

Maxg

Thread: Is Wallpaper overlap adhesive similar to Balsaloc
04/04/2020 16:16:20

I have a tube of wallpaper overlap adhesive left over from some decorating. It looks like very liquid PVA white glue.

Is it useable instead of Balsaloc or other similar covering adhesives.

Maxg

Thread: Peter Miller asks what next?
26/03/2020 09:19:49

What about an Edgar Perceval EP9 as something a bit different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6a9g6LOj5c.

Maxg

Thread: Sample Pots
23/02/2020 19:00:10

I use the pots from the microwave spong puddings. The best ones are those with a smooth domed bottom as they are easy to wipe out.

The puddings are good as well!!!!

On a related topic of stirrers some places often have small plastic straws a couple of mms id and about 120mm or so long. Great for locating and protecting 2.4 aerials in the correct orientation.

Maxg

Thread: Closed loop...
23/02/2020 18:53:14

3 things occur to me with your set up.

1) Ideally the servo arm length should be the same as your rudder horn size. In your case 60mm.

2) If you are still using 35Mhz it pays to make sure the two cables are not touching as that can cause glitching. Not sure about 2.4 but to make sure anyway I always use nylon covered fishing trace. Because I have several varieties of trace as long as one is nylon covered all is ok.

3) Have you too much tension in your cables?

HTH

Maxg

Thread: Moon Dancer 2
15/02/2020 12:16:30

Mine arrived this morning complete with Moon Dancer plan.

Excellent.

Maxg

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!