By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MaxG

Here is a list of all the postings MaxG has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colin Chapman - Midlands Flight Training
14/10/2019 15:23:04

He has an advert on page 85 of the current RCME, the 2019 special, next to Cambrian Model Company advert.

HTH

Thread: Indoor model anybody?
13/09/2019 15:27:36

I fly indoor in a small sports hall, just a bit bigger than one basketball court. We fly vapours etc. But there are a couple of us that have visited Bangood and have the small foam fixed wing models. I have a Rare Bear and a couple of us fly the Zero. Also the small eflite spacewalker a nd the Ares WW! model fly OK. We also have small helis. The WLToys V911 is popular and flys very well, also from Bangood. I am struggling with a TRex 150X which I am finding a bit of a handful. The Blade 120 heli also works well in the space.

All the above cope well with the walls which I swear move towards my models but most time the models cope with and survive the encounter.

A couple of guys cope with the larger EPP 2s models although what you can do is a bit limited.

Give it a go, we all enjoy it.

An unexpected bonus is that flying the little helis has improved my fixed wing flying because I now use the rudder!!!

Maxg

Thread: Help needed
06/09/2019 14:35:38

Erfolg

Pleased that the information worked for you.

Cheers

Maxg

06/09/2019 10:28:16

Have just taken the one I have to bits to look at it.

If you look at the plug from the back Red goes to top left and the black next to it i.e. top centre.

I also note that the bottom centre and right are joined by a blob of solder.

I guess that if you look at all the pins you will see which ones have had wires soldered to them which will help to confirm whether it is the same as mine.

HTH

Maxg

Thread: Silent Flight nats
12/08/2019 18:06:00

Thank you Alan

Maxg

12/08/2019 17:42:12

I see that on the Nationals Website it says that the Silent Flight Nats are at Buckminster. It only says that there are likely 2 comps per day ongoing. It does not say which classes on which day so I am not sure which day I might wish to go.

Can anyone (Andy Symons?) tell me what is on what day.

Many Thanks

Maxg

Thread: Micron PL7d
06/08/2019 18:12:57

Still have my PL6D and also some Rxs plus a few 35MHz rxs that I used until recently when I changed my Multiplex to 2.4.

Thread: Hitec
25/04/2019 09:24:48

Don't forget that Hitec is part of the Hitec-Multiplex compaany.

It would seem that Multiplex have given up on servos and now use Hitec ones in their models.

So maybe instead of developing high end Txs of their own they will be concentrating on the Multiplex ones. Whether they will badge engineer the Multiplex ones as Hitic remains to be seen. But why would they when they have really excellent ones at the top of the Multiplex range.

Probably makes business logic, let each part of the business do what it does best.

Just a thought.

Maxg

Thread: foam for a tool box
10/02/2019 10:50:08

I lined my Tx cases with seat cushion material that I got from Dunelm.

HTH

MaxG

Thread: How to set flaps on a Futaba 10J Transmitter
10/02/2019 10:45:58

CARPERFECT.

I guess because I have a suitable charger lead to connect to the plugged in lead but not one for the balance lead.

Thank you for the thought though.

maxg

10/02/2019 10:28:10

I have a Turnigy Nanotech LiFePO4 2100 6.6V Tx pack in mine and it works very well. The only problem I have is that I need to take it out to charge.

It keeps its charge very well but I guess if you went for an Eneloop type pack that would be just as good and you could leave it in to charge.

HTH

Maxg

Thread: Another scam? Sinister this time
03/02/2019 10:49:05

I had a scam phone call the other day from "Microsoft" saying that I had a problem with my PC. Well I was at a bit of a loose end at that moment so decided to go along with it!!.

They asked me to look at the PC screen and tell me what was on it. So I said there was a picture of a penguin. He then told me to do some things which I said I had done and then he asked what I could see on the screen. So I said a picture of a penguin! he asked me to do more things that I said I had done and there was still a picture of a penguin! This had taken about 5 minutes and I decided that I had spent enough time so I asked if it mattered that I was running Linux.

At that point he swore at me and called me all sorts of nasty names for wasting his time. So I called him a cheating scammer at which point he cut off the call.

RESULT. Very satisfying!!

Maxg

Thread: Gyro assisted CofG
14/01/2019 11:16:08

Isn't this how they set up the modern agile full size combat aircraft? Rear COG for agility ( thus unstable) and a flight control system to make it flyable.

Maxg

Thread: Famous model flyers
11/01/2019 11:14:24

I have heard that Ron and Leon Haslam, World Superbike riders, used to have a garage full of helicopters.

Maxg

Thread: Twin Jet
21/11/2018 09:55:43

I used to fly mine on a 7 cell pack and occaisonally an 8 cell. Really enjoyed flying it and loved the shape in the air. Roll rate was crazy.

Still have it in the loft and keep considering making it brushless on a 2 or 3 cell lipo.

Maxg

Thread: inverter generators
05/11/2018 12:25:13

Go to your local car scrap yard and see what car batteries they have there and see what they want for them.

Probably much cheaper than a leisure battery. May not last as long but you can probably get several for the price of a new leisure battery.

Andy, In your case Eva Brothers on High Street East may solve your problem.

Maxg

Thread: Howzat II
01/11/2018 16:27:54

Thank you Bob

01/11/2018 09:46:11

Used to be the way it was done before fancy expensive wing retaining methods were invented by those who wish to sell high price accessories.

Make a long wire hook about 50 mm longer than fuselage width.

Slide wing one side onto the joiners, put a suitable rubber band(s) onto the hook on the wing. Put the long hook through the fuselage and hook it on to the elastic bands. Pull the hook through the fuselage and when the bands appear turn the long hook so the band is retained. Settle the wing properly on to the wing dowels. Note the the long wire hook is still keeping the rubber band in place so you have 2 hands to put the second wing half on to its joiners. Ease the bands over the retaining hook in the second wing half and remove your long hook and settle the second wing half into place. Easy peasy.

The difficult bit is to find your long hook where you put it down in the long grass etc where you were assembling the plane.

While you are making the long hook make a couple of spares and keep then in your flying tool box or even the car glovebox. Bitter experience!!!!

HTH

Maxg

Thread: Jimmy Stewart Bomber Pilot
15/10/2018 18:29:32

Came across this book in the library and have really enjoyed it. The author Starr Smith was an intelligence officer who served at the same time with Stewart. The book is a collection of remenisciences by those who served with him. Most are set at Tibbenham and Old Bucklingham near to Norwich.

One comment that really amused was was about Jimny Stewart sharing a flat in New York and building model aircraft there.

Corporal to Colonel in 4 years was some career.

Thoroughly recommended.

Maxg

Thread: Ancestry. com.
16/08/2018 15:24:29

It cost us about £99 each but it has been at lower prices since.

They send you a kit that you use to provide a spit sample and then send it off to them. Ours went to Dublin if I remember correctly. Then they send you the results and you make of it what you wish. They also provide some contacts with others who have matching DNA. In the period since I have had about 3 contacts who apparently match some fairly close others more remote.

Found out that bossperson was 90%ish British and I was about thirds ish of British, Irish and Viking. We were both staggered by those results, definately not what we expected.

Maxg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us