By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MaxG

Here is a list of all the postings MaxG has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: new workshop
28/10/2017 17:00:34

Not sure if this is the right section to post this but here goes.

Am just thinking about setting up a new wooden workshop. Want to line it to keep draughts out. What should I use?

My choices seem to be thin mdf, plasterboard, plasterboard with aluminium foil on one face, some sort of insulated board such as foam backed plasterboard, anything else?

Cost will come into it, but I wanted to know what others think.

TIA

Maxg

Thread: Can you identify this slope soarer?
26/10/2017 11:48:31

I have a vague feeling that the original article for Howzat showed the model with a "Chris Foss" type colour scheme. Saw the original article recently when sorting some stuff out. That stuff is not available to me at present so I cannot check it.

Maxg

Thread: Switch assignment chart
03/09/2017 16:08:18

Thank you for that Phil 9. I had forgotten that. Will work on a modified version of it.

Maxg

31/08/2017 09:32:01

A long time ago I got a pdf schematic of switch positions for my Multiplex Royal Evo. It had data boxes on it that were able to be typed into with values etc. I find it very useful especially when I pick up a model that I have not used for some time as I can see at a glance how it is set up.

I have just obtained a Futaba 10J and wondered if anyone had a similar file they would be willing to share.

TIA

Maxg

Thread: Non Phone line broadband
21/08/2017 08:55:54

Has anyone any experience with broadband supplied to the house over the air and not by phoneline or cable?

We are looking at an area where the broadband is covered by a provider called Quickline via a wireless system.

Not sure about it and would like to find out other people's experience with such a system.

TIA

Maxg

Thread: 2.4 protocols
11/07/2017 13:12:13

Thank you Flight1

Maxg

08/07/2017 11:46:42

Can anyone please tell me simply what the difference is between T-FHSS and S-FHSS and the other protocols and their compatibility with each other.

Thinking of a Futaba Tx to perhaps go with Align helis.

TIA

Maxg

Thread: Thrift
28/06/2017 20:30:04

With moving house I am required by SWMBO to clear out some of my stuff.

Have been leafing through a number of old Aeromodeler magazines and Peter Miller's name caught my eye.

August 1975 was one instance where he was providing a plan for a c/l stunter called Thrift for 0.19-0.25 sized engines.

In the article he admits to flying for "some 20 years of modelling..."

Maxg

Thread: slope soarer ID please???
12/06/2017 16:12:27

Have had the blue foam parts in the loft for years and years. When starting to think about a house move I dragged the bits out and have nearly finished an electrified version. Am currently covering it with fine glasscloth and water based resin. Impending house move is taking over though.sadsad

Have just had to throw out my box of little bits of balsa and ply. It was so useful, will be lost without it.

Maxg

Thread: North East sloping
08/06/2017 18:02:13

Is the Weardale Model Gliding Association still in being? I learned to fly up there out the back of Consett.

HTH

Maxg

Thread: June 2017 RCM&E
15/05/2017 11:33:14

Matt I think maybe I didn't make my point clear.

The point I am making is that there must have been lots more models at the event and it would have been nice to see some of them as well.

It was not about how nice the model shown are. They look really great. Or how well photographed they are. The photos themselves are great as well.

Wish I could take such good ones and build such great looking models.

It was about picture selection for the articles which I suspect does not do justice to all that were there.

Sorry if I offended you

Maxg

15/05/2017 10:07:38

Liked the new look.

However, and this is something I have noticed before, some of the features tend to concentrate on very few models.

For instance the Great Orme article has 21 pictures of which 3 are of the Magister and 3 are of the same Mustang. Also 3 of what appears to be the same Alpha jet. I do not deny they are superb models but over 40% of pictures in one article on just 3 models?

Similarly in the Delyn Fly-in article 5 of the pictures are of Extra or "Extra look-alike" models including two of the same model. A nice model but an ARTF type.

Could we not have a bit more variety please.

Maxg

Thread: Electrifying a pedal cycle
14/03/2017 13:28:09

Geoff

I think I didn't make my point very clearly and muddled it up with comments on Sagan and Hoy.

What I was trying to say was that these presenters rumble along at say 250W, which when we start to consider our models is often entry level stuff.

Therefore what we consider as entry level stuff in models is quite potent on a bike.

Max

Thread: Travelling boxes and wing bags
14/03/2017 10:51:51

Drop me a PM if you want some pictures and a write up I did for a now defunct website.

Maxg

14/03/2017 10:49:38

I have made quite a few storage boxes and the using coreflute that estate agents make their signs from, also the SPAD website shows how to make planes from it.

I cut and fold and stick it together with evostick and ducttape.

Very good for very fragile indoor type models.

You can get it from your local signmakers and it comes in 8 foot by 4 foot sheets so you can make big boxes if you need to.

One of mine is nearly 2 metres long.

Maxg

Thread: Electrifying a pedal cycle
14/03/2017 10:41:32

Hi Geoff

As a cyclist I watch some of the utube videos put out by GCN, a free to subscribe to cycling channel with lots of helpful videos.

One of their frequent topics recently has been power meters, and in those topics there has been a lot of talk about power in watts. They have done quite a lot of tests where they have been cycling along at specific powers. 250W and 360W comes up quite frequently even when riding up quite steep hills.

The presenters are all previous professional racing cyclists so I guess their power is reasonable. No they are not Peter Sagan, said to put out 1600W in an end of stage sprint or Chris Hoy said to put out 2500W on the track, but the power they put out suggests that this is what they can do all day so to speak.

I have always been suprised at this when compared to my models.

Have a look at some of these and you may be suprised and I hope educated as to exactly what power you may need to restore your youthfull antics.

HTH

Maxg

Thread: Classic blackwire example
28/02/2017 09:42:08

I have had it in the past and always check for it.

One thing I do in spring is to go into all my models and unplug and replug all the servos and switches from the Rx. I feel that this at least disturbs any slight corrosion that may have happened on these pins and sockets over the last year. Not necessarily black wire because I do not leave any batteries in unused models but from just general damp conditions that may occur in the loft or garage.

I once had to throw away a cordless drill that had corrosion on the battery tabs after being left in a damp shed so do only check your model stuff!!

HTH

Maxg

Thread: National Modelmakers Festivals
21/02/2017 16:40:46

These carried on with the Model Aviators Association as I believe just holidays for flyers.

Try looking at : http://www.modelaviatorsassociation.co.uk/index.html

There is one near Filey (In Yorkshire for those who don't know) in May this year.

HTH

Maxg

Thread: See quads are useful
01/02/2017 16:39:04

Is the hard hat to mitigate drone strikes or to protect against meteorites hitting his head?

Maxg

Thread: U-2 Dragon Lady
11/12/2016 16:32:57

Cyril Carr does a plan for a U2. It is to fit a 90mm edf. It also has some alternatives on the plan for a PSS version. All about intake size but at present I cannot remember which is the more scale. They all look good to me.!

Used to watch them at RAF Alconbury. Near Inwood models. Could see them whilst driving on the A1. The take off angle was akin to an overpowered Wot 4!!

As an aside, Alconbury used to have a nice Aggressor F5 as the gate guardian.

Maxg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us