By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Allan Bennett

Here is a list of all the postings Allan Bennett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: templates?
31/03/2020 20:49:19
Posted by Mike Blandford on 29/03/2020 12:29:12:

Allen, you may not be aware but erskyTx has similar capabilities to openTx, not surprising since openTx was forked from er9x. If Eric has been using er9x, then transferring to erskyTx will be easy. ....

I was vaguely aware of the relationship between erskyTX and openTX, but I didn't make the connection between it and "the old turnigy" which he mentioned. But since Eric already has openTX, why change to erskyTx rather than just figure out how to program the functions he wants? indecision

29/03/2020 11:36:40

With plenty of indoor time on our hands, it might be worth persevering with OpenTX. I was converted to it when I found that my Futaba couldn't do what I wanted (throttle cut on two separate channels) and, once over the learning curve, I now find it quite easy to program anything I want without templates. Starting, as it does, from first principles, I don't see that OpenTX has any bias towards quads -- I'm flying mainly fixed-wing with it, but also have one flybarred heli, two flybarless helis, and a couple of quads. The flybarred heli was the one that took the most head-scratching for me.

I must confess I find OpenTx difficult to program on my Taranis but, using OpenTX Companion on my laptop, it's a doddle.

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
26/03/2020 13:28:10

Thanks Tim for your view, which is probably better informed than I am smiley

I have a few SxR receivers as well as XsR and, IIRC, a couple of XM using SBUS to flight controllers. I understand that, if I update my Tx firmware, I'll have to update all my Rxs, so it seems to me I'm better off waiting a while more because of the question marks over my XMs and SxRs.

26/03/2020 11:18:37
Posted by Mike Blandford on 25/03/2020 22:42:24:
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 25/03/2020 12:10:05:

Mike,

I see this from the github testing

Sounds like there are still problems despite the full release. Any advice?

Not a lot! I've been testing with and X9D and a X9D+ with a X8R. Those all seem to be working fine.

. . . .

Thank you Mike and the others who have been involved in the debugging and testing of this firmware.

As just a simple user, without an in-depth knowledge of electronics, when will I be able to have confidence that the new firmware will be more reliable than the old? After all, my X9D with v1 firmware has 'seemed to be working fine' for the past two years or so that I've owned it. Reading this and other threads on the subject, it seemed like we're getting there, but under the intense scrutiny of many experts it now seems that other problems are arising other than the original uncommanded servo movement.

Thread: LiPo storage
26/03/2020 11:06:46

It's definitely good to store at 'storage' charge (usually quoted as 50%, or 3.85v per cell) for two reasons: First, it prolongs the life of the battery; second, if anything goes wrong there's less energy in the battery to fuel the fire.

The only reason I know of for not storing batteries empty (say 3.7v per cell) is that over time they can slowly self-discharge, and might go to such a low voltage that they can't be recovered.

My usual routine is to store my batteries at whatever voltage they finish at after a flight -- usually 22% to 25% capacity remaining. For a prolonged storage I'll be checking voltages from time to time to make sure they haven't sunk too low.

Thread: Throttle issue
24/03/2020 21:08:58

Rapid beeps from an ESC indicate that it's not getting the correct signal from the receiver, or not any signal at all. As others have suggested, the signal it's expecting when you power up the model (with transmitter already switched on) is zero throttle, and sometimes it needs throttle trim to be fully down to achieve that. (With Futaba transmitters it also needs the throttle channel to be reversed.)

Once the ESC is reacting correctly, you usually need to calibrate it. That's what is being shown in the link in John Wagg's post above. Failure to calibrate might account for michael cawood's experience with his throttle being sort of on or off.

Thread: Second throttle control
04/03/2020 07:35:21

Yes, I've done it the way Bob has described on my Twinstar, because I wanted throttle differential to help with ground handling.

I added a second line to each throttle channel to link them to rudder, plus and minus 5%, and also linked to another switch so the differential couldn't be accidentally activated in flight.

Thread: Covering conundrum
25/02/2020 03:18:56

It is certainly desirable to use as large single pieces as practical, mainly because joins are always a weak point. If you must have joins, make sure the overlap is front piece over back piece so that there's less chance of the wind getting under it and opening up the join.

Your plan B is to be recommended though, since you presumably have covering material that can do it in one.

Thread: Jammed OS engines
23/02/2020 05:05:51

WD40 has worked for me in the past. But it's not a lubricant so, once you've got things moving, follow up with lots of light oil (e.g. 3 in 1) before trying to start it. As others have mentioned, if rust is the problem you'll need a proper rebuild.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan
14/02/2020 03:29:35

I don't have any parts yet -- just at the pre-planning stage. I was quoting the data for the 4S version on 4-Max web site. I'll check out the different versions of the EDFs before I order anything. Which, if any, of my present 3S and 4S batteries will fit when I see the plan might be the ultimate decider, unless there's a really clear advantage in one or other setup.

Murray, yes I saw your post about a dolly. I tried one once (can't remember what with) and didn't like it. I'd much rather go with retracts if I can.

13/02/2020 04:01:13

Thanks guys. Looks like I've got myself a project for next winter. Static thrust quoted for the FMS units is 2.39lbs on 4S which, with four of them, should in theory give unlimited vertical frown If true, I might consider omitting the retracts, and hand-launching. On second thoughts maybe not -- ROG is much nicer.

12/02/2020 07:42:07

The idea of a 48" Vulcan with 4 EDFs attracts me but, having read all through this thread, I'm not sure if this particular one is for me. There seem to be too many posts about it being under-powered and unable to ROG from grass.

Since it's quite an old thread, my question is whether more-modern equipment, such as the EDF units offered by 4-Max, have tipped the balance in its favour? Any recent experience anyone?

Thread: Wind screens
05/02/2020 08:00:13

I made frames for a couple of my windscreens by cutting a lengthways slot in a piece of small aliminium tubing. After bending it carefully to the profile of the deck to which it was to be mounted I then glued the perspex (probably from a Sainsbury's orange juice bottle) into the slot in the frame. I then filed the underside of the frame slightly flat, to get a better surface for bonding to the fuselage deck.

The frame holds the perspex's shape better than just gluing it direct to the fuselage, and provides a greater bonding area for the glue.

Thread: Peel Ply Issues
31/01/2020 04:43:43

An interesting thread. Up until now I'd only known peel ply to be used to prepare a surface for bonding another layer of resin to after the first layer had cured. In fact I thought it delayed the curing of the resin surface so that the next layer would bond. So how does that help in finishing a surface? Excess resin has never been a problem for me; I just stipple it on with a brush until it looks completely soaked but not flooded, doing one layer at a time.

Thread: BMFA Membership Card
28/01/2020 07:44:39

That message from BMFA also mentioned a delay in production of the optional credit card type membership cards.

Thread: A long time since i did this.....
22/01/2020 21:40:42
Posted by Allan Bennett on 18/01/2020 21:26:37:

I can't imagine anything keeping its shape with only "a few layers" of 25gr tissue. I've just checked my Flair Magnatilla cowl, and it weighs 68 grammes painted. With electric models one often needs more weight up front anyway.

I mis-spoke. It's 38 grammes, not 68. Okay, it's much heavier than the one McG showed, but lighter than the Magnatilla's original aluminium one, so needs some lead in it to keep the c of g right!

Thread: Capacity checker accuracy?
22/01/2020 20:19:47

As you mention, some batteries have quite a flat discharge curve (as measured by voltage), so it's difficult for any meter to give an accurate measure of capacity other than by discharging to, say 3.5v and then measuring what's put back when charging it. The only checker I use in the field is one that gives me per-cell voltage readings.

To decide what my flight duration should be I keep a record of how much is put back into the battery when charged, and then maybe adjust the duration of my next flight based on that info.

Thread: A long time since i did this.....
18/01/2020 21:26:37
Posted by McG 6969 on 17/01/2020 21:22:31:

@ Allan,

. . . . As for using 50 up to 200gr tissue, I imagine you're building parts for full size aircraft, not even Ultralights...

Allow me to wonder how much one of your cowls would weight?

For our - say up to 1:6 scale toys - all we do need is a few layers of 25gr/m² tissue... maybe one layer of 50gr at the end, if you're getting a bit paranoid...

Cheers

Chris

I can't imagine anything keeping its shape with only "a few layers" of 25gr tissue. I've just checked my Flair Magnatilla cowl, and it weighs 68 grammes painted. With electric models one often needs more weight up front anyway.

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
18/01/2020 21:16:46
Posted by Andy48 on 18/01/2020 12:43:35:
. . . I think you are being very optimistic to believe manufacturers could possibly test every conceivable situation in the real world. I've had no end of updates with all sorts of equipment. Cars for example, nearly every car I've had in the last 10 years has had a software update. My year old Ford Transit motorhome went in for an update last month. Think how many Transits they sell a year. . . .

Oh dear, I am living in the past! My car is almost as old as my transmitter (well, 15 years), and has never had a recall or an update, or a breakdown. It's going to be a shock when I have to buy a new one surprise

Thread: Futaba Jack Plug
18/01/2020 21:08:45

It might be worth getting in touch with Ripmax. They have a few own-brand chargers suitable for Futaba radios. It seems that Futaba use different plug/socket diameters depending on whether your transmitter uses NiMh or lithium battery. Also, the charger itself needs to be a different type for the two different battery types.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us