By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RICHARD WILLS

Here is a list of all the postings RICHARD WILLS has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.
16/07/2019 12:52:53

Gllynn's right . I dont sweat . I m 90% reptile so i regulate heat via my ears . They just change colour according to ambient temperature .

Yes , I have to apologise to those on the 109 thread for not getting more video footage . Unfortunately the exploding spinner curtailed our flight after about 3 minutes . However it was a reasonable shake down .

We could have made another flight but for the fact that the departing spinner took about 1" of a prop blade with it !

Chugged in to land like a wounded Bison . Oh, ,and didnt bother with the flaps (as we already had a "flap on" ).

(you liked that , didnt you?)

I have to say, that Pauls immaculate model looked superb against the blue back drop . Slightly assymetric flap settings is the only real point to deal with . Easy when at home but not at the field .

Richard

Thread: Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc
14/04/2019 14:46:04

I like the on board monitor Dick , we used them a lot when we started electrifying the fleet . Its fascinating how the power from some Motor/prop combinations can be so efficient and others so awful!

When I wrote my comments above they were based on your still pictures and your description of events .

I completely missed the video blush What a wally . Anyway , now Ive seen the rather excellent video , I have to say that I dont think you could have done a better job on the test flight . Your Spitfire flies very slowly and the landing was a peach considering it was your first and on a curve . That plate should have stayed in as there was absolutely nothing wrong with the landing , I do think a change of glue and a small wrap of something around the front of the plate will secure the plate for good . Fantastic job Dick, (and Chris ) .

It will be interesting to see how the four blade prop changes the performance and current consumption , once you've got a few more flights under your belt on the cheap prop .

Richard

13/04/2019 10:03:11

Well done Dick , and many thanks for the super photos , I even liked the landing one !

The plate pulling out at the front can simply be down to glue as you say , but there is tremendous shock force on that joint when it hits a bump. However i have found that wrapping a little brown paper or even better glass cloth over the front edge of the plate and onto the rest of the wing stops the issue dead.

If you think of gluing glass tape or brown paper over the edge of a cardboard box edge ,you can imagine how it stops somebody ripping the lid open,

I think that for such a beautiful model, when nerves must have been pretty stretched , you did really well . Next flight you can spend a bit of time investigating the slow speed characteristics mid flight (at height) until you feel confident to slow the spit down more on approach .

A well trimmed one will fly slowly into wind without dropping a wing since the wing sections and washout are very effective , Practice slow flying at high level is the way forward because i would never attempt to land one crosswind , so if you know you can land short into wind , you can always make a better job of it .

I liked the way you used a two blade prop for the test flight too. Just go easy with the throttle when you fit the bigger prop as torque becomes very apparent . I ease on the power and never let it swing left ,

I have to say that there is a factor here worth mentioning . Lets call it the "Pee Factor "disgust. People who buy an ARTF Mustang or Spitfire bolt the wings on and fly it . They do not put any of themselves into it , it does not represent them in any way , no more than next door's dog or son .

Consequently the test flight result is normally signified by a non commital shrug of the shoulders, whether it went well or not .

So I say , well done Dick and anyone else who is brave enough !

Richard

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
07/04/2019 15:24:50

Sadly, only the Spitfire is currently available.

07/04/2019 09:48:18

The larger tail size supplied with the kit is the "default " standard set up . The C of G on the plan assumes this .

Once the test flight is out of the way, you can start moving the C of G back .

Only one person that I know has used the smaller tail , which I wish I had never referred to on the plan !

Usually my kits all have larger tail areas and nobody even notices . wink 2

Richard

26/03/2019 17:25:07

Dick , that is really lovely . I went to Duxford last week with Phill my kit cutter and we watched their two seat Spitfire doing a continual bout of 20 minute pleasure flights . I guess the windy weather the previous week had caused a back log .

With that image in mind ,I think you have very nicely captured the look . Your additional cockpit looks very crisp too .

I think we would all be interested to hear a little more about the mods you made . I for one wouldnt mind a few low angle pictures of the model as if you were about to get in . On short grass or tarmac if poss.

The weight is fine by the way , anywhere around the 6lb is normal . Just check C of G and let it get plenty of air speed into to wind before the off.

Thanks for making such a nice job of it .

Richard

25/03/2019 14:16:22

I dont use a 2 blade on those motors as there are some nice 3 blade props like the Dynam 13x7 available .

With a typical 580-600kv motor on 4s you will need 8inch pitch , so a 13x8 will be a good starting point .

Good luck

Richard

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
25/03/2019 09:31:39

Mike , your Hurricane looks excellent and ....light !smiley

Since you are trying to recreate a good 70Four Stroke style performance , why not have a quick look at other similar plane set ups ?

On this forum is a thread by Brian on the Macchii 202 . It is of similar size and I believe it flies on 5s with a nice prop.

Ive seen it fly and the performance and duration is very good .

The other thought is the 1700mm FMS models . What prop/battery/motor ?

Finally , the new Avios Spitfire has five cells and a large three blade that would suit the Hurricane .

Good luck

Richard

24/03/2019 09:28:41

Hi chaps we've got a small batch in stock at the moment , but I'm not sure when we will make any more after this batch . The world's changing , sadly .

Richard

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.
06/03/2019 15:40:43

Paul , did you say Clam Day ?

Clam Day ?

Is that an episode of Sponge Bob that I've missed ?

06/03/2019 09:59:49

Very nice Dave . In the bare bones state it shows off the lovely clean lines of the 109F/G .

A very tidy build by the look of it , well done .

Regarding down and side thrust : If you have a look at the plan , you can see that the wing and tail plane incidences are both positive (though not to the same degree) . That means that when the flying surfaces are in level flight , the fuselage with have a nose down stance . Consequently the motor already has down thrust built in because the whole fuselage is at a negative angle . When you watch a real 109 flying , it also has a characteristic nose down stance .

Now, we are using a big propeller that produces lots of torque, just like the real thing . To that end , the throttle must be used sensibly . Side thrust is a bit of a waste of time, but you can add a couple of degrees if you want to . There is an initial surge to the left at the beginning of the take off run , but that should be corrected with rudder and can be easily overcome as long as you throttle up gently . Once in the air the requirement to correct to the right disappears.

The FMS 109 exhibits all of the same traits and has been around for a few years now . It may be worth looking at their thread regarding take off and landing examples . There are some excellent videos on the site.

Its not a difficult plane to fly but that big propeller has to be considered at all times , just like the full size .

I am personally a big fan of both the model and full size . With the sound system in, it is very difficult to fault in emulating the full size .

Keep up the good work

Richard

18/01/2019 18:29:33

Then , today , Paul brought his one round . Well , I have to say , its a stunner . The weathering is what makes it for me . Its not difficult , in fact its more process than skill . But the end result is totally believable .

The photo's of both models dont really do justice . I did try to push Paul out of the door without the model but he is about six foot four and 30% heavier (no offence ,I'm a jump jockey ) so that was never going to work .

However I know where he lives , so I might send the lads round one night to pinch it back .

Anyway , 37000 viewing on this thread and 79000 on the Bf110 . I'm glad they have entertained people for the last year. We must have tickled the fancy of a few people ,if nothing else .

Paul has documented the build superbly and I'd like to thank him for that , Secondly I would say that in the 25 years I have been making kits , I havent seen one of mine finished as well as that since Kevin Acres did the first 109 in 2002 .

I wonder If Graham Ashby has tuned in to this thread ? As I know he enjoyed Kevin's model so much he made him bring it to office for photos way back then . Graham's a good lad by the way for any that haven't met him .

I suppose it shows that you don't need to spend a shed load of money to build something that would be the king pin in most clubs , Isn't that what modelling is all about ? Inspiring to all of us . Well done lads !

Richard

18/01/2019 18:13:50

Ive seen two of the local guys now finish their 109s and they have both done amazing work .

I saw Dave's one last week but i think he is too modest to post a picture . So ......

I'll do it for him ! Unfortunately the I phone gives a rather "fish eye view " but you get the idea . Its a cracking job with a cool paint job . I really like the all white tail (which takes some nerve to go for ) but looks really neat in the flesh . There are some nice little fabric details on the rudder just like the real thing .

The white tail was employed by squadron leaders , so that his gang could reform on him after they had swept through an allied bomber group creating mayhem . Well done "modest " Dave !!!wink 2109 dave.jpg

02/01/2019 12:35:16

Fabulous work Paul , can Iwink 2 buy it back ?

secondly , I have a few people sniffing around for a 109 . rather than buy more Spits which I have just run out of , I could do a short run of 109s . Now I'm not trying to sell them to the gallant lads who have already got one stashed away , what i'm saying is that if there is anyone (or their friends ) who is out there watching in a darkened room , It would be worth them raising a hand now, rather than me waiting for more Spitfire fans to start bleating to the point where I cant stand the racket anymore and make some .

Happy New Year to you all

Richard

Thread: Balsa bashing
15/12/2018 09:32:32

Still looks great Simon . Its quite rewarding for me to see the Warbirds in action , Its a shame the Yak doesnt get more of a following , By "accident " it was my best flying design !!

Richard

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
28/10/2018 20:43:17

Graham , the retracts are twin oleo style for each wheel , (like a lancaster ) therefor probably quite bulky for most twins .

28/10/2018 15:37:48

I dont really think there will be enough interest in the Heinkel to justify doing the manual and drawing , Shame , but there it is .

28/10/2018 13:53:33

BTW , its painted in B& Q match pots . You just buy a green and then some black and mix it up till it looks ok , £14 touch up gun and thin with water , Cheap as chips ,a lot like me disgust

28/10/2018 13:51:14

he111g2.jpg

28/10/2018 13:49:06

he111f3.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us