By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RICHARD WILLS

Here is a list of all the postings RICHARD WILLS has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc
10/07/2020 14:15:55

I guess Basil isn't relevant then ?

To be fair , Ive never seen him do a stroke .

He's more of what you might call "an opportunist " , what with him being a fox and all .

Pink Spitfires ? PR and Barbara Cartland's runaround . Goes quite well with RAF blue .

10/07/2020 13:08:54

Ive got a friend called Basil Brush . Always immaculate .

Is that relevant ?

10/07/2020 08:47:39

A very good summary by Jonathan, The plastic modellers only have to create a perfect static and very fragile image that's only real danger is a ladies duster . On the other hand , ours have to be structurally strong , aerodynamically correct , light , balanced and controllable. So to be dictated too by the rivet counters is coming it a bit strong .

I change lots of things from scale on my personal models and create colour schemes sometimes that no one can identify but look like they did exist . Isnt that the beauty of building rather than buying ?

The other factor for us , is can see it at 400yds ? The number of times I have warned my friends , dont do subtle ! You wont see it . If there is a bright nose version , or a white wing tip option , take it .

It is all an illusion with us , more like an oil painting than plastic modelling .

On that note I have decided to go for a very dark blue on the P51 insignia . There are plenty of opinions on this subject alone , but it seems to me that the majority of manufacturers use the RAF roundel blue . Whether right or wrong , the dark colour looks so much more correct and less toy like . Again , illusion or fact ?

Thread: Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang
09/07/2020 09:43:01

No offence taken Jonathan . You have no way of knowing what it looks like on this side of the fence .

We need newbies, and the chaps on this forum are the nicest you are likely to come across . We will all support anyone who is on their way up . But at the same time , people like yourself with plastic modelling skills, will be very useful to those who are interested in fine detail .

Richard

09/07/2020 08:41:47

I cannot give a specific time . Because we are not just designing a new kit . The lock down has meant that many other channels have returned to traditional building , which has put incredible pressure on my kit cutter . He has to provide parts for the plans service demands for the hundreds of plans on their books and that is very disruptive .

It is likely that I will get a single final variant in the next week , but where as most people on this forum would be capable of building from an on line build , I feel that they do also deserve a plan and instructions .

Newbies will soon be crying out for more detail To that end , I am not going to send out 40 kits without me running through one first . In normal times there would be a pre production run of maybe six , but we are skipping that, which will require an element of understanding .

Edited By RICHARD WILLS on 09/07/2020 08:42:48

Thread: Warbirds replicas Tempest
09/07/2020 08:28:16

Good point Peter . I expect you would have worked in the Northern hemisphere?

The reason I ask , is that when you see film of 109s and P40s taking off in the desert , being literally sand blasted , you would imagine the forward facing surfaces to be entirely void of paint and yet they still seem to be relatively well covered .

Any thoughts ?

08/07/2020 22:09:24

Yeah , thats right Eric , he's flown through a flock of Brillo pads.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc
08/07/2020 19:19:56

Hi Graham , I appreciate your problem .

Two options , As Ron says , green aerosol , either Cassart or I notice Sussex models say they have Humbrol matt green in aerosol form No AD6080 looks about right . You could rattle can the green first then (I assume you have the grey ) airbrush over the green with grey , or have a look at how Ron did the La7 using aerosols and a stand off mask to get a soft edge .

Secondly , go to B & Q , get some match pots for £1.50 add a tiny bit of water , away you go !

My Ju88 and Heinkel are all B&Q emulsion !

08/07/2020 09:37:05

Hello Geoff . No deposit required , simply a gentlemen's word as I don't want to make a load of kits for nothing .

If you can send me a PM with your address and phone number on plus email if poss , I will create a slot for you and contact you when ready ,

Richard

08/07/2020 09:04:21

All good points chaps . The main thing is have a go and morph toward what looks good for you . At the end of the day its important to please yourself and not feel judged , because that will just hold you back .

I like Jons picture of the Ruskies , Have a look at some of the really rough Jap stuff . Some of them must have been sprayed in the rain from 50 yds away and by the time the sun came out it simply flaked off . Most of them looked like large shiney fish with fin rot !

Have a go, thats the motto .

07/07/2020 19:58:51

lou iv.jpg

I am going to help you paint your Mustangs , by showing you how to do it without being an artist . Obviously this will be toward the end of the build thread , but even so , it is in all of our interest to present our Mustangs in the best possible light ,as converting more to the cause is the best way to guarantee our building interest has a future .

To be able to cover all of your chosen colour schemes I will be painting one which has all of the colours likely to turn up on your model . So I will be painting Lou IV shown in famous picture . I am not going into detail now , but trust me , you will feel comfortable completing your model whatever your skill level .

07/07/2020 19:51:09

Ron has been fielding a few questions on the Tempest thread which reminded me to post something on here .

An area of concern for a lot of people , when getting into warbird building , is finish .

If you are ok with wood but not very "Arty " , this can appear to be a problem . So we might need to have a reality check . I have made so many 55" warbirds , that I cant remember half of them , but they didnt start off looking like they do now . My first panel lines and rivet effect were made by spraying a black or grey aerosol over the cardboard back of a spiral bound jotter pad . But from twenty feet , they looked great . The priority was to make a relatively easy to fly sport model that was close enough to a Focke Wulf or Zero to look believable .

My point is , consider where you are on the experience spectrum , and aim to improve in steps . If you if you are a first timer keep it simple .

Luckily , the P51 can be all things to all people .

Those that want to keep it simple can just do Silver solarfilm with a different colour nose and the decal set . The next option , would be brown paper covering and spray with silver , white and black aerosols . Once you can do that , you might as well try a bit of weathering and exhaust stains , but using pens and soft brushes rather than an airbrush . Finally , there is the introduction of Airbrushing , which in most cases is unnecessary .

Thread: The State of Play
06/07/2020 15:54:19

Look , I am going to have to apologise to the moderators soon . I dont know how we got here from a simple suggestion to a China man, that none of us will ever meet or correspond with .

The simple conclusion has to be , that you all want a small sporty model that is easy to live with .(thats one new thread )

And another area of keen interest is "Attractive Blondes" , an area which I consider myself as perhaps not an expert ,but rather a keen amateur . (that will be thread number two).

Edited By RICHARD WILLS on 06/07/2020 15:55:04

06/07/2020 11:24:33

Careful gentleman , beware the lady of the house breaking into this dangerous insight to our inner workings.

Better the devil you know ....

Oh Christ , I am sorry ....

06/07/2020 11:04:13

Erm........ sorry Chris and SW , I'm afraid we didnt get very far with the "choosing a plane concept " , but we might be able to offer you a Kylie Minogue android .

If you're interested .

(looks like its got a way to go yet, though).

06/07/2020 09:35:09

Well Nigel , In this case , dont go expensive , Expensive paper seems to be reconstituted so that it can claim to be green or is too thick . Your nasty corner shop paper is almost always the best bet .

I have tried other stuff but brown paper seems the most compliant and forgiving .

06/07/2020 09:24:16

The stacks are ABS just like the cowl , so you can use airfix glue or solvent weld on that section . and just a dab of epoxy at the back .

The stacks should be right on the spinner centre line with the last exhaust stubb actually over the wing . (all the others being in front of the wing when viewed from above) .

The cannon blisters (two for each wing ) are perfectly replicated by medicine spoons with a swipe of filler around the base to blend them in .

The Camo paint will hide any bubbles in the paper so no panic .

06/07/2020 08:44:31

Great job Graham , Its starting to look the part now . The exhaust stacks will be the clincher .

I am pretty sure your bubble problem is down to the glue . I have always stuck to evostik wood glue or more recently Gorilla glue PVA , both with a tiny drop of water to help you spread it on .

Cheap glue always ends up the same .

Now , the best glue for an Apprentice Brown Paper Hanger is available at Band Q . it is made by Unibond , and is called "Super Pva adhesive and sealer" , Comes in a 500ml white and red tin .

The reason its good for the first go , is because its consistency is perfect and its good quality glue .

The other use of PVA/Brown Paper is for covering very tired foamies . Yes , it does add a little weight , but by covering say a Dynam or FMS warbird it will give a whole new life , more strength and the chance to try a different paint job . Dont keep the iron in one place though ,other wise you will melt it .

Thread: The State of Play
05/07/2020 20:59:55

The great Guru says its natural selection . If daft people want to watch a humourless person opening a box with fake gravitas , then its great because it keeps that lot out of our way . They wont come looking here . We havent left any bread crumbs , .....or .... biscuit, erm ......crumbs . They wouldnt know their HOBs from there NOBs anyway .

Dont tell em nuffink.

05/07/2020 18:57:21

Well Ron , It takes a big man to recognise his own weakness . I'm sure we all appreciate your honestly . There will be times when you will , once again fall off the wagon . The temptress of the East will not give up her hard won souls without a fight , but with your fellow NOBs from HOB (careful) forming a ring of steel (well ,moderately stiff balsa ) around you , salvation is just around the corner .

The reverent Sweep has asked me to send you a Keil Kraft Fleetwing plan , to be copied out five time in quick succession , whenever you feel your resolve fading .

The wisdom of that small grey dog , in a dog collar (what else?) astounds me . Everyone knows that there is nothing more pure and cleansing than a crisp white plan from the 70s .

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!