By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tomtom39

Here is a list of all the postings Tomtom39 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clarkson dropped
18/06/2015 10:12:43

It can't be any worse than "Sun Trap"!

17/06/2015 12:57:22

Marmite indeed! Not a great fan Although I may try and keep an open mind and watch at least a couple of episodes before I make my mind up. I will miss JC and his team . I didn't always agree with his comments but he did make me laugh!

Wonder if Guy Martin might also be in contention . I did enjoy his refreshing presentation of India recently

Thread: BMFA National Flying Centre
16/06/2015 15:48:32

Andy/Dizz. Thank you for clarifying the issue.

16/06/2015 14:02:59

Am I missing the point here re "Country members" that also fly at BMFA affiliated clubs. About 6% of one of the clubs I belong to are CM's . By virtue of the fact that they pay club subs they have had the opportunity to have a say and vote accordingly. Our club rep will be attending the EGM (along with proxy at present for two other local clubs - no idea of result ). No difficulty in getting votes in within a few days, as our club secretaries have kept members informed and we have had similar discussions as on this thread and on the RCMF forum .

I met a chap who was a BMFA member (non affiliated to any club) at our local slope . Put the world to rights with him as wind dropped for a couple of hours as we both had the wrong models for a light breeze, including the proposal for the NMFC and suggested he puts his view to the BMFA if he felt strongly either way.

MattyB . Have you set out  your thoughts directly to the BMFA management as I'd be interested to hear their response. I used to have a similar opinion re BMFA , most from ill educated views shared by fellow club members (not to mention begrudging having to pay such a vast sum for my insurance for them just to be sitting in their offices having tea and cakes, off the backs of us hard pressed modellers!) until the point when we had to get their help on a  sticky planning issue with a local councillor taking a very vocal stance against our club moving to a particular field. Shades of Monty Pythons "Life of Brian" come to mind re "What have the Roman's ever done for us debate"

Edited By Tomtom39 on 16/06/2015 14:11:35

15/06/2015 18:38:01

Matty this might be more up to date. http://pdf.savills.com/documents/Savills-ALMS-Feb-2014.pdf

Carter Jonas also show a similar growth pattern on Agricultural land in the general area of the proposed NMFC

15/06/2015 17:33:29

Bit of a sweeping statement there KC? Our club members were all given the opportunity to vote with decision based on majority vote and rep will be there.

15/06/2015 14:41:01

Or profit!

Thread: Charlatan
14/06/2015 17:19:17

Brilliant Tim. I look forward to following your thread.

Thread: Biggin Hill Airshow RC video ACTION
14/06/2015 17:02:55

I forgot all about it so thanks for the links.

14/06/2015 16:37:31

yes to that . I'm not sure that we would have been able to keep our club site without the BMFA's help .

14/06/2015 15:21:33

Point taken. Too tired to play tennis today (hard at work at pub last night and still feeling the effects!).

Thread: Cosford Air show Live video link
14/06/2015 14:00:09

Excellent, as Cosford is too far away from home. Many thanks for the link Rich

14/06/2015 13:52:37

Hello John, I'd be very interested to learn where your club obtained quotes below those of BMFA (via Dobsons) . We also tried Perkins Slade (RSA?) who I understand were the previous brokers/Insurers (I think that they still act for the LMA ). As to the limit for Public Liability Insurance I'm not sure what point it is that you are making. In our case our landlord insisted on us carrying £10 million pounds of Indemnity (per member) . The previous BMFA cover was for £5 million which I understand has now been increased to £25 Million . One of the clubs I fly with is not BMFA affiliated so  looking to save a bob or two (for those members that don't subscribe to the BMFA cover)

I assume (I've not really looked into this) that approx 40%/50% of our £32 sub goes towards the Insurance . The balance towards admin/news etc (not bad value really).

The other two BMFA affiliated clubs that I belong to are sending reps along to the meeting so will await to hear outcome in due course.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 14/06/2015 13:53:29

14/06/2015 00:03:27

I used to be a member of the MPA at one point - I have a feeling I got it through one of the Mags (still have the documents somewhere).

Some years ago we looked at an alternative Insurance provider for our club and members (the landlord at the time wanted us to carry a higher Indemnity level for Public Liability Insurance). I contacted six brokers and the cheapest quote I got back was in excess of four times that of the BMFA subs (this by the way was on the same level as BMFA cover at the time - think it was £5 Million) So it does pay to be able to mass purchase!

13/06/2015 23:42:21

Be interesting to see if you can get the Insurance at the price we pay as members!

Thread: Ebay sellers...
10/06/2015 11:45:13

Funnily enough I bought a .50FS on Ebay in the last couple of months. This had been described as new and never used. This turned out not to be the case as there was plenty of evidence that it had been run and the crank bearings sounded decidedly gritty - not to mention a sheared bolt ion the head which had been super glued in . (It had been very well cleaned and the photos looked good). I pointed out this to the seller to be told that he had never run it and it looked new to him when he bought it (turned out to be from a car boot sale - the box and the manual were in wonderful condition!). He also informed me that he did not accept returns as stated in the ebay ad. I contacted Ebay and have had a full refund . (I posted the thing back to him - so far it has not turned up on ebay again!)

So lesson learnt!

Thread: Rapidrc.com
08/06/2015 18:12:45

I will need to have a look at it the next time the chap is down at the field. I know that he had an issue with the tail (which I understand may have been the reason for another supplier - they shall not be named but models available from reputable LMA's!- to stop selling them. (leftovers or new updated/upgraded etc etc?)

08/06/2015 18:06:52

I paid just over £50 for it from HK sometime early last year for a new club member. Wonder if these came from the same factory WOT WOT!!

08/06/2015 17:03:37

My imagination or is this an alternative to same/similar products being sold by Hobbyking

08/06/2015 15:36:37

Interesting comment MattyB. At our club we have taken a varied approach to attract new members into our hobby and club:-

1. Appeal to the youngsters at Schools,ATC , Scouts , school fairs etc . We sell or give away "chuckies" at the target age of 6-10 (Darts and the building of these I have found seem to work well at age 8/10) . Hopefully we will by them playing with these insert a "seed" of wanting to explore the hobby and other aviation interests in the future.

2. With older kids ie early teens we demonstrate a variety of models from Fixed wing (rubber, Ic,electric) and more recently ie last few weeks Multi rotors (Inc FPV racing a few members that seem to have got themselves into it - the 14-16 understand these and its interesting to watch them with one of our guys demonstrating the building and setting up with a laptop. I'm too busy with PVA, tissue and dope to get into these!!!) We have two new members joining following a talk at the ATC. Its not all doom and gloom (two of the under 16's at our club have gone on to build some good old traditional build kits and one is currently drawing/designing his own model as part of his GCSE DT project)

3. We also try and interact with the retired folk out there (I did a talk at our local Rotary and have had one member joining and another potential one in the pipeline). We hope that by doing so ,this interest will follow down the line (not necessarily to their busy children) but their grand kids.

We have a great hobby and I always try and enthuse our members to talk about what they are interested in . Some are "frustrated pilots" others love the building (or both) . We have held some informal building chats at members homes (nothing like seeing and touching the real thing and having knowledge on building hints imparted .) In many ways the availability of "good" quality ARTF's, progress in electric power and dare I say it the lower intro cost to the hobby has helped to attract many new modellers that were put off by the perceived high cost of RC flying (sorry no free flight at our club although some are trying out control line (I just get very dizzy and fall down - and thats before I open my bottle of Pale Ale!)

A National Model Flying Centre would I'm sure help to preserve this and hopefully inspire a new "generation" (regardless of their age) to take up model flying in whatever guise their interest take. I can still remember my dad dragging me along to Hendon Air Museum at age seven and my mother still recounts my badgering my father to take me back. I'm all in favour and hope the BMFA will make this happen.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!