By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tomtom39

Here is a list of all the postings Tomtom39 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: crashed model. so what next
24/05/2015 15:25:56

Sorry to hear that. I've got my FG21 in a Hangar 9 P47

Thread: Saving a Wot 4
22/05/2015 20:27:27

Hello Andy. Excellent work.

For your info , I bought a spare cowl from Slough models last year for just over £12 last year . Presume that they will sell you decals (or try Chris Foss).

I have a Scorpion SII 3026-890 (890KV) motor in mine with a 14X7 APCE prop on 3S lipo (I use a 5000Mah as far forward to the firewall as possible and didn't need any extra weight up front)  It measures just over 875 Watts on my Watt meter. I'm using a 70 Amp ESC. (My one is the RIPMAX balsa ARTF version)

Enjoy flying yours. Mine is a regular hack.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 22/05/2015 20:29:50

Thread: Vinyl Lettering
22/05/2015 10:34:15

I'd agree with Matt. Tim at Pyramid is very helpful and did a great job on my letterings.

Thread: BMFA National Flying Centre
21/05/2015 16:25:58

I can't argue with either of you (John/Erfolg) . I have had this conversation with David Phipps and Andy in the past. I understand that they are consciously trying to address this by use of social media . I'm not on facebook so not been able to find out if this is working , having said that couple of our members (in their 70's) and some of those in their teens/early 20's seem to be having no issues in keeping me informed of the latest ! I guess that the BMFA news is the next logical avenue (for those that don't check the BMFA website) .

As a secretary of a club, I remember receiving a note from the BMFA re the poll for the proposed NMFC and this was highlighted to all members and raised at the club AGM (ie I asked individual members to vote in the poll and submit their opinions to Manny)

Having being to the AMA MFC. I like the idea of his and if we were to combine BMFA HQ within this then it might be a worthwhile investment for the future. Conversely and closer to my heart would be the idea of regional sites co-owned by both BMFA and local clubs. (I'm at least four hours from the area that they are looking at!)

Ps I'm only a club modeller and to date have not taken part in any competitions but may at some stage in the future consider it (now where is that BMFA Dart and are their any comps for dart distance throwing ) . 

Edited By Tomtom39 on 21/05/2015 16:26:12

21/05/2015 14:30:13

Hello John,

I used to feel the same about the BMFA (as I suspect many of our older members did too!) . I have however changed my opinion as without Manny Williamson and his predecessor at the BMFA, we would not have been able to secure our site and managed to fend off some pretty rough opposition (from a local councilor).

Thread: Sharps disposal
21/05/2015 13:14:58

I used to wrap tissue and tape around mine before disposing of the blades in the bin. Following a visit to our new local recycling centre , I changed over to the jam jar and slot in lid method and that has worked very well . I took a full jar (11 months worth of No 11, 26 , Stanley blades etc ). The recycling centre were happy with this.

On the matter of "contamination risk" We have bin collections every two weeks and (if and when the weather improves!) There is quite a mix of bacteria and chemicals merrily bubbling away in the bins and I would hate to be the one to be cut by a sharp object that's come in contact with any bio hazardous material. Case of using ones common sense!

Thread: BMFA National Flying Centre
20/05/2015 15:13:09

I emailed our club members details of the proposed NFC (following some correspondence from Manny and our Area chairman). I asked for their comments / feelings about it . I also pointed out that this would be discussed at the area OGM. I got one response out of 44 members and I understand only three (from other clubs) non area council members attended the OGM (I was away but had put in my two penny's worth to both Manny and our area chairman).

As a matter of interest , I also asked how many club members vote for delegates , still awaiting response from majority of members.

Apathy? (As I have mentioned in our club newsletter. If you don't vote than don't bother moaning about it after the event.)

Thread: Giant Shark - what's happening?
19/05/2015 11:27:10

I got a refund after having a go at them over the telephone on one of the orders . I have had a subsequent email on the second order which was also short (and no explanation!) to inform me that they were going to issue a refund.

I shall leave my other club member to share his experiences himself!

18/05/2015 16:57:03

Such is life (sorry meant GS and not GC!) . I have calmed down !!

Shame as I have used Giant Cod with no issues in the past.

18/05/2015 16:26:12

Just found out from another club member that he has two motors missing from his order and again no explanation (feeling very guilty for suggesting he buy from GC!)

18/05/2015 15:59:51

Another issue! Just checked second order .

Pack of screws, item no as per website but has different contents (also only 10 and not 100 pcs!)

Feeling cheesed off!

18/05/2015 15:37:51

Hope none of the people I've recommended have similar issues!

18/05/2015 15:18:02

I got my last two orders on Saturday. Only to find that one of the items on the invoice had a cross next to it and no explanation. I had to ring in to find out that this item was not in stock (it was still showing as being in stock the following day after I put my order in!) The chap there could not offer me an explanation as I understand that the warehouse is in Peterborough and the order centre is in Kent.

I had to ask for a refund for this as it had not been done! Pretty poor service

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
18/05/2015 10:45:18

Sorry Jon , just spotted this post!

Thread: DB 1/8" Scale Sopwith Pup E Build
17/05/2015 19:57:44

Hello Neil, I originally used the Savox on the wings (on the "E" version) but changed them for these (I managed to get a few at the Giant Shark sale ) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=56461.

I don't normally buy budget servos but have been pretty impressed on both the the small New power ones and these . My pup has seen better days .

Thread: Solarlac issues can anyone help
17/05/2015 19:33:35

Hello Jon,

That's the one (I have just sent you pics to the office "info" address)

17/05/2015 19:12:32

Hello Jon,

It was Red. I will send you an email with pic. I just an't seem to upload pics on to album and onto forum!

Glad it went ok at OW. Ended up at Blackbush for a couple of hours yesterday (ran out of brownie points!)

Thread: DB 1/8" Scale Sopwith Pup E Build
17/05/2015 16:07:24

I've used these on my other (older IC) DB pup http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=SH0257MG&area=Servo. The original builder had Futaba 3001's, but I was looking to reduce a bit of weight so changed over to the Savox (also had these hanging about) They cope perfectly well.

17/05/2015 16:01:16

I used these (had some lying around for a budget project and was pretty surprised with them) http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?WPG=SRCM_HomePage1&itemid=P-NEWXL17HMB. I ve had approx 100 flights in my DB pup with no issues.

Thread: Solarlac issues can anyone help
17/05/2015 14:45:46

Thank you for all the comments I've had.

After a great deal of experimentation I have returned the tin of paint back to Solarfilm (via model shop) . To summarize , I've had the same issues that Jon Harper has had ie "fuzzy felt" . I' have sprayed onto test pieces that were coated with clearcoat (left to dry 24hrs) , onto solartex and on bare balsa. I've used Solarlac thinners (two new tins) . Changed airbrushes , thinned with different ratios of Solarlac thinner , all with similar results (oh and tried varying the pressure on the compressor).

I have this afternoon tried another tin of Solarlac paint (different colour and that has sprayed on with no problems at a ratio of 50-50)

Engine doctor. Great tip re wet look . Works very well. Many thanks

Jon , sorry couldn't make Old Warden. I hope the 180 petrol has gone well (itching to buy one)

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!