By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tomtom39

Here is a list of all the postings Tomtom39 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
17/11/2015 10:30:15

Hello Bob,

This issue of noise has been raised previously in various threads and is a rather tricky one . At my club (and I've was involved with obtaining planning permission). We have over the years tested our models at the pre-requisite distance with a ceiling of 81db (not too sure how this was reached but assume to show it would be below the recommended 82db). I was therefore amazed to find the Environmental Health Officer from the local council was not particularly interested in this. As far as he was concerned it was a case of noise (nuisance) perception at the point of the nearest dwelling. I understand that the 82db is used as a guideline and that different councils/EHO seem to have ideas on how they go about granting permission for an activity that is likely to cause noise nuisance or a complaint . As a consequence we not only test our models but also on a regular basis drive  close to the nearest houses to listen as to how the "noise" can be heard etc . We have had to request members to give some consideration as to how they fly and use of throttle etc (the alternative being that we lose our strip!).

Just to confirm with one exception, I've had all my models fitted with Lasers pass the club test .

Edited By Tomtom39 on 17/11/2015 10:31:20

Edited By Tomtom39 on 17/11/2015 10:37:11

16/11/2015 17:22:28

Jon,

Shame about the smaller engines . But very understandable.

I'd love an opposing twin 160 or even larger ie 240. The FG84R3 was one to consider for my larger 1/4 - 1/3 scales and I'd certainly buy an equivalent Laser.

I have junked (on ebay) all my cheap Chinese motors ie DLE/DLA sub 50cc ie 20/30cc due to noise issues at the field.(I've gone back to the 120,150 and the 180). MattyB made a valid point ie by the time you have forked for a decent silencer , end baffling plug etc you may as well have paid a little bit more for a decent 4 stroke petrol or glow.

For most of us at the club its great to see a well made British engine , that is a real bit of engineering artwork (my new ones have often sat next to my bed for a few weeks to be opened with reverence and admiration - yes I know I'm sad) . Now about a 9 cylinder radial, when is that arriving!devil

16/11/2015 16:32:00

Hello Jon,

I'd love to see a smaller engine than your current range ie in the .40 - .50 range (I use the 70's for .60 equivalents) .Say around the £150 mark?

As to petrol , I'm waiting for your 180 but would very much like to see something in the 50/60cc in single cylinder and possibly a triple (I have been giving some serious thoughts to the Saito FGR3's but would opt for a laser . An opposing twin would also be on my wish list (120 size)

So price - I have spoken to a couple of club members who like myself are very big fans of Laser's and I think a price point that's competitive to the market (as your single and V twins already are!).

Thread: Messersmart!!
16/11/2015 15:01:48

Do you think the prop on the front would make it go any faster? I'd also want a substantial discount as someone seems to have had a grudge and shot at it!

Thread: Paris attacked again
14/11/2015 11:11:17

I was there earlier in the week and have so very many friends in Paris. Truly shocking and horrific.

Thread: School Meals & Chocolate Concrete
13/11/2015 12:16:13

Ha ha Andrew . Me too and yes I still enjoy the stodge . I used to love the meat pie (think it was meat!) followed by either sticky toffee pudding or Plum Duff with Custard (you'd have to time it right as it would be far too runny early and thick/lumpy late !)

Tuck shop was open twice a week and supplemented our sugar rations accordingly (curly wurly was a favorite!)

13/11/2015 11:12:09

Ah happy days indeed! If I got to the dining halls late from sports club practice , I'd need a very strong knife to "spoon" the custard. (No point in even thinking of eating the mains!

In reality it was pretty good most of the time provided you avoided anything green (Saddam Hussein could have sub contracted his WMD R/D in the school kitchens!)

Thread: Painting Solartex - Without an airbrsuh
04/11/2015 16:29:56

I have sent you email (maybe in your spam box)

04/11/2015 10:46:32

Hello Manish,

I may be able to help with getting you the odd bits to India (I fly out at least four times a year on business) I will PM you .

Thread: Peter Miller Retrospective - Build-off Challenge 2016
30/10/2015 17:25:02

I'm game

Thread: Which designer would you prefer to base your 2016 Mass Build on?
30/10/2015 17:04:52

Peter Miller. I can usually build his designs in a reasonable time scale.(six so far - two still flying!!)

Thread: RCM&E Springfield Bulldog
30/10/2015 17:01:46

Robert. That made me laugh (lots of crying also recently following the demise of two costly models !)

However all is not lost . I have decided to go ahead with building (or rather at least getting the component parts of the Bulldog cut out .) I have for a number of months been toying with the idea of buying my own Laser cutter and I'm now being lent one for a few weeks to try out and it comes with a man who knows what to do with it (or rather a fellow modeller who is conversant with programming this beast).

I have already started a long list of wood that I need. A trip down to Essex (Balsa Cabin) may be called for next week. I have at least a dozen other plans to cut out so will be undertaking a bit of learning!

The Springfield Bulldog is a beautiful model and all credit to you for it. I look forward to seeing a few up next year at the RCME fly -in .

30/10/2015 14:32:51

All the best with the build Jim.

Its very tempting but not at that price.

Thread: Transmitter cases (which one?)
30/10/2015 13:22:57

They are going to custom cut it (think it was with a water cutter!) .

They do supply a DIY version but I'd rather it done properly (I suppose I could use a mini router)

Thread: FPV Racing Air Gate (UK Warehouse) PRODUCT ID: 9231000004-0
30/10/2015 13:11:30

Thank you very much for posting that as I was about to order some for our club today!

Please post or PM me as to how you get on with HK. (I bought a Lipo Bunker last year from them and the metal sides were so sharp that I cut myself on them - It was never satisfactorily resolved and I ended up deburring the edges )

Thread: Transmitter cases (which one?)
30/10/2015 10:54:06

Hello Flight1. I spoke the co yesterday and have just sent them details for them to custom cut the foam . They were were very helpful. For the record the pluck/DIY ones are fine for a short period but tend to degrade over time (in my case a couple of months) I have gone for a slightly denser foam not dissimilar to the Blue foam that we use for our builds (in this case - pardon the pun - its black)

29/10/2015 11:28:15

I'll have a look at that too .

29/10/2015 10:53:35

My previous one was a heavy duty one from Maplins which didn't stand up to being thrown about at the airport.

Gonzo you are quite right , however on my recent trip from France I was asked to put it with my luggage , that ended up in the hold (and pretty damaged - Insurers paid up on it) I don't take any batteries with me as I have sourced some locally prior to my arrival to my destination.

Glenn , the Peli is my first choice (I'm waiting for the American co that David suggested to respond)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES

28/10/2015 17:42:16

David,

Perfect . I have sent them an email to see if they could make me one up to suit my t/x.

Many thanks - much appreciated

28/10/2015 17:28:53

I travel a great deal and find that my T/X case (aluminium) just isn't strong enough for the way airport baggage handlers treat them.(even when packed into my suitcase!)

I checked today with a company that makes bespoke cases and they have indicated a figure of between £400 and £500 - for one of these with the foam inserts custom cut

.http://www.gardplasticases.com/products/storm-cases/storm-case-range/im-2400-3

Has anyone else on the site looked at anything similar and does the price seem right?

Edited By Tomtom39 on 28/10/2015 17:29:29

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us