By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tomtom39

Here is a list of all the postings Tomtom39 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: School Meals & Chocolate Concrete
13/11/2015 12:16:13

Ha ha Andrew . Me too and yes I still enjoy the stodge . I used to love the meat pie (think it was meat!) followed by either sticky toffee pudding or Plum Duff with Custard (you'd have to time it right as it would be far too runny early and thick/lumpy late !)

Tuck shop was open twice a week and supplemented our sugar rations accordingly (curly wurly was a favorite!)

13/11/2015 11:12:09

Ah happy days indeed! If I got to the dining halls late from sports club practice , I'd need a very strong knife to "spoon" the custard. (No point in even thinking of eating the mains!

In reality it was pretty good most of the time provided you avoided anything green (Saddam Hussein could have sub contracted his WMD R/D in the school kitchens!)

Thread: Painting Solartex - Without an airbrsuh
04/11/2015 16:29:56

I have sent you email (maybe in your spam box)

04/11/2015 10:46:32

Hello Manish,

I may be able to help with getting you the odd bits to India (I fly out at least four times a year on business) I will PM you .

Thread: Peter Miller Retrospective - Build-off Challenge 2016
30/10/2015 17:25:02

I'm game

Thread: Which designer would you prefer to base your 2016 Mass Build on?
30/10/2015 17:04:52

Peter Miller. I can usually build his designs in a reasonable time scale.(six so far - two still flying!!)

Thread: RCM&E Springfield Bulldog
30/10/2015 17:01:46

Robert. That made me laugh (lots of crying also recently following the demise of two costly models !)

However all is not lost . I have decided to go ahead with building (or rather at least getting the component parts of the Bulldog cut out .) I have for a number of months been toying with the idea of buying my own Laser cutter and I'm now being lent one for a few weeks to try out and it comes with a man who knows what to do with it (or rather a fellow modeller who is conversant with programming this beast).

I have already started a long list of wood that I need. A trip down to Essex (Balsa Cabin) may be called for next week. I have at least a dozen other plans to cut out so will be undertaking a bit of learning!

The Springfield Bulldog is a beautiful model and all credit to you for it. I look forward to seeing a few up next year at the RCME fly -in .

30/10/2015 14:32:51

All the best with the build Jim.

Its very tempting but not at that price.

Thread: Transmitter cases (which one?)
30/10/2015 13:22:57

They are going to custom cut it (think it was with a water cutter!) .

They do supply a DIY version but I'd rather it done properly (I suppose I could use a mini router)

Thread: FPV Racing Air Gate (UK Warehouse) PRODUCT ID: 9231000004-0
30/10/2015 13:11:30

Thank you very much for posting that as I was about to order some for our club today!

Please post or PM me as to how you get on with HK. (I bought a Lipo Bunker last year from them and the metal sides were so sharp that I cut myself on them - It was never satisfactorily resolved and I ended up deburring the edges )

Thread: Transmitter cases (which one?)
30/10/2015 10:54:06

Hello Flight1. I spoke the co yesterday and have just sent them details for them to custom cut the foam . They were were very helpful. For the record the pluck/DIY ones are fine for a short period but tend to degrade over time (in my case a couple of months) I have gone for a slightly denser foam not dissimilar to the Blue foam that we use for our builds (in this case - pardon the pun - its black)

29/10/2015 11:28:15

I'll have a look at that too .

29/10/2015 10:53:35

My previous one was a heavy duty one from Maplins which didn't stand up to being thrown about at the airport.

Gonzo you are quite right , however on my recent trip from France I was asked to put it with my luggage , that ended up in the hold (and pretty damaged - Insurers paid up on it) I don't take any batteries with me as I have sourced some locally prior to my arrival to my destination.

Glenn , the Peli is my first choice (I'm waiting for the American co that David suggested to respond)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES

28/10/2015 17:42:16

David,

Perfect . I have sent them an email to see if they could make me one up to suit my t/x.

Many thanks - much appreciated

28/10/2015 17:28:53

I travel a great deal and find that my T/X case (aluminium) just isn't strong enough for the way airport baggage handlers treat them.(even when packed into my suitcase!)

I checked today with a company that makes bespoke cases and they have indicated a figure of between £400 and £500 - for one of these with the foam inserts custom cut

.http://www.gardplasticases.com/products/storm-cases/storm-case-range/im-2400-3

Has anyone else on the site looked at anything similar and does the price seem right?

Edited By Tomtom39 on 28/10/2015 17:29:29

Thread: Crescent Bullet Owners
26/10/2015 14:47:32

Ian,

Its a super model . I did change the U/C on my electric one as the prop was huge and I have 3"/3.5" wheels on the others as the strip I fly mine from is not brilliant .

26/10/2015 12:47:35

Hello Ian ,

Thats fine . I fly two one with an Irvine 40 (lighter build) and the other all glassed and basically weighing several bricks (I bought it for a £10 at a recent swap meet) is fitted with an Irvine 53 . Can't comment on prop, as you will need to match it with your engine.

My electric PB Bullet (now no more thanks to a radio glitch) flew very well on a Hobby king G46 550kv on 4swith an APC E 15X8 .(Even better on a Hacker A50-16s on 6S - I had a minor issue with a hard landing and had the hacker in my spares bin prop was 17X8 or 10 )

Best of luck.

Thread: Increasing Membership-Experiences
23/10/2015 16:36:00

Hello Chris. I think the BMFA are trying to get more media exposure. I'm aware that some our younger club members have applied to take part in the Joint BMFA/CBBC show Airmageddon.

I understand that the TJD team took part at the recent Biggin Hill airshow and also aware that models have been flown at other airshows such as Shoreham.

We do have one bit of common land where no ball games are allowed either!

23/10/2015 14:43:45

Well said Erflog ,

As a club we have a similar attitude. It doesn't matter re age etc (we have gone down the DBS route for a couple of the Instructors - bit of a chore but not as bad as the old CRB) however we do insist that parents/guardians accompany minors or vulnerable adults (in case of any one over sixty should I ask for them to be accompanied by a grandchild so not to show any sign of age related prejudice!)

Nearly got me on my soap box as I'm having an interesting discussion with the local council who have updated local bye- laws to stop the use of common land in my area for any form model flying.

I got attracted to Modelling watching free flight at the common in my village , many, many , many years ago! Its about exposure and getting people stimulated to want to give it a try.

Thread: Fournier RF4 or 5
23/10/2015 13:38:06

Hello Percy,

Re your comments about stories of wing folding , I found this on the Mick Reeves website -

"We have heard of other kit models of 1/3 RF4, where the wings collapsed in flight.
This model, with ProSkin covering was able to perform very violent snap rolls, left and right, with no problem!"

I was considering the 110" MR version as a suitable winter project .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us