By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Houghton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Houghton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Haven't any people on YouTube heard of grease?
24/11/2020 09:19:58

You won't need grease on any models featured on my YouTube channel. None of my models have a undercarriage laugh

Mine is just a vlog about RC glider flying from slopes & flat fields.

A470 Soaring - RC Glider Flying in Wales

Thread: Lone flying during Lockdown
09/11/2020 10:39:53

The Welsh lockdown restrictions have been eased, including no travel restrictions, which means that I can get out this weekend to fly. So what's the betting the weather will be absolutely pants! frown

Thread: Best charger for 6S 5000mah LiPos
21/10/2020 15:34:51

I recently had cause to upgrade my old charger as I purchased a 6S 5000mah LiPo, so I bought the Overlander RC6-VSR which seems to work very well and didn't break the bank from PhoenixMP. It can only charge one pack at a time though. HK also produce their own version of this charger, however I didn't want to pay import duty and I also wanted to support Stan Yeo's business, so I buy as much from him as I can.

Thread: Cardboard construction for planes
16/10/2020 11:40:20

I have a PSS Impala made from Correx. There are lots of correx plans available on THIS thread. The South Africans use correx a lot in their models.

impala.jpg

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 16/10/2020 11:41:27

Thread: Flaperon differential
08/10/2020 08:57:39

That's a lovely looking model thumbs up

For me I would prefer to use spoilerons for landing, (ailerons going up) then flaperons to kill the lift and reduce the height. I would however prefer to build in separate flaps and make it a full house model with CROW braking and the usual thermal & speed modes. CROW will give you more accurate landings if you are flying on particularly rough grould, to help you avoid rocks etc. I'd happily fly it as it is now though it looks great!

Thread: Gliding video thread
22/09/2020 11:03:35

A short video of a friend and his Nan Explorer.

Thread: Winter project
21/09/2020 11:48:43

Hi Julian - I'm looking for another glider as my winter build project and, having had CNC balsa models from Hollein in Geremany previously, I'm going for their Introduction F5J which is a 2860mm span, rudder, elevator, flaps & motor at 159.00 Euro plus shipping. The link is HERE

Hollein also produce the Inside F5J, which uses the same fuse as the Introduction but has ailerons also HERE at 184.90 Euro.

Thread: Local lockdowns curtail flying in S Wales
16/09/2020 13:59:17

Caerphilly County went into local lockdown a week ago which meant that I wasn't allowed to hit some of my favourite slope flying sites. Now Rhondda Cynon Taff is going into local lockdown from Thursday, so that's the other half of my regular flying sites now unavailable, and certainly those facing north easterly which is the forecast wind direction for this weekend.

So unless the forecast 15-16 mph wind decreases to below 10 mph, I won't be doing any soaring on my local flat field either crying

11/09/2020 13:10:48

Grab yourself a cuppa & choccy digestive, sit in your favourite comfy chair for 20 mins and enjoy the gliding antics from the best slopes in Wales, and arguably the UK, apart from Rhossilli possibly. 

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 11/09/2020 13:12:12

03/09/2020 09:02:22

Hi all. There wasn't enough wind to warrant a trip to the slope last weekend so a friend invited me to go along and fly at his club site, Eglwysilan MFC near Pontypridd for a thermal soaring session, and what a good day we had. I managed to maiden my Streamline 350 also laugh

Thread: The Alpina is back!
19/08/2020 10:04:25

I'd love one but the bank balance doesn't allow for that. I also looked at the Robbe Calima but in the end I decided to go for the D-Power Streamline 350. This is nothing like in the same league as the Alpina but I was after something that was heavier than my usual flat field foam and balsa esoarers for flying in a stiffer breeze for flying from the field but, could also fly on the slope on those marginal days and in a breeze up to 15 mph when my other slope soarers can then take over.

Streamline 350

Thread: flap/elevator setting
14/08/2020 13:54:52

Someone once told me that high wing aircraft require down elevator compensation and low wing aircraft require up elevator compensation. How true that is I don't know as I don't have any low wingers with flaps.

Thread: Looking for an electric glider
14/08/2020 10:31:36

I'm mostly into slope soaring but do dabble with electric gliders from the flat and like most of you have found that balsa or foam models are usually only good in a light breeze up to 10mph, and so as most of the time in S. Wales we have a breeze greater than 10mph I usually find myself on the slopes.

So recently I wanted a new electric powered glider that could fly in a bit more breeze from the flat but could also cross over to the slope on marginal wind days and days when the breeze doesn't exceed about 15mph, when my regular slope gliders will give me better action.

I knew I'd struggle to find a foam or balsa model to do the job so I decided to break the bank and spend some PPI money on the D-Power Streamline 350 which is a arf electric powered glider with composite fus & veneered foam wings of 3.5m. A fully moulded F5J model was just going to cost way too much and I couldn't justify spending that much cash on this type of model. I'm still putting it together, progress has been slow due to a lack of time on my part but I'm hopeing it'll be finished next week.

Streamline 350

12/08/2020 15:41:11

Here's my latest video with a group of us flying at The Bwlch in S. Wales. One of the guys flying his latest model, a Valenta SB9 hits a huge patch of sink. Watch what happens next.

Thread: Tugging to the Sky, our Scale Glider Day
11/08/2020 10:04:07

A friend of mine is selling this beauty.

1/4 Scale K6e

Thread: Looking for an electric glider
10/08/2020 15:28:54

Check out the glider kits from Hollein in Germany. I've had a couple of their kits and they're great! Unfortunatly they don't have the choice they had a couple of years ago.

Hollein

Thread: Correx or xps foam for new model
31/07/2020 12:18:00

Hi Christopher - a few of us in the slope soaring communitee have had some fun flying PSS gliders made from correx. It's fairly easy to work with but sometimes locating a supplier who can supply in large sheets can be a problem. There are loads of plans on line for both gliders and powered models, particularly from one particular group of modellers in S Africa.

impala.jpg

Thread: Finally out of lockdown & flying again
16/07/2020 15:13:29
Posted by J D 8 on 16/07/2020 15:01:59:

The welsh word "Bwlch" does not mean "bulk" . It is welsh for a way through as in a "pass" like in Khyber pass or it can be simply a gateway or gap in the hedge/wall.

Nice to see models flying again.smiley

Yes I know this, I live here laugh, I used [Bulk] for pronounciation purposes. It was the best way for me to try to explain how to pronounce it for those who wouldn't know. You obviously do!

16/07/2020 14:17:15

In Wales the government has finally eased the 5 mile travelling restrictions and so a few of us headed to the Bwlch, just a few miles north of Bridgend, for a slope soaring session, our 1st since March. The day didn't quite go to plan. Watch the video to find out why.

Thread: Swoop. 1.2m aerobatic slope soarer
10/07/2020 13:13:43

I bought a load of lam in 70 micron & 40 micron from the now defunct flyingwings.com and I haven't had to buy anymore since, but it's great for giving a light but tough covering, even on top of regular iron on coverings, as in my Flying Wings Genesis below which was built for slope combat a couple of years ago, and my SAS Wildthing MK2 which had to be rebuilt after nose diving into the ground.

Genesis covered in 2 layer ofs lam film

Genesis SL upper side

SAS Wildthing crash

wildthing 1.jpg

And after the rebuild and 2 layers of lam. The 1st straight onto the foam & the 2nd on top of the yellow covering. I call it the 'sandwich' method.

wildthing 10

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!