By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Houghton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Houghton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flying during pandemic.
03/07/2020 13:49:31
Posted by J D 8 on 03/07/2020 13:43:30:

Problem now is the weather. Half a gale and driving rain here on the west Wales coast, and moe to come.sad

Yep, it's like October instead of July. I should be up the top of the slope in brilliant sunshine with puffy cumulus clouds riding from thermal to thermal, with huge power dives and aero's between. Keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend.

03/07/2020 12:27:11

I live in the slope soaring country, in SE Wales where we have been sticking to the restrictions ridgidly. A few lucky people live within 5 miles of a slope and have been flying alone. I've managed some flat field soaring on a local field.

With travelling restrictions easing from Monday we are planning a socially distanced "Coronafest" for next Saturday, (weather permitting), at the Bwlch, between Nant Y Moel & Treorchi.

Thread: How Windy is Too Windy
26/06/2020 14:07:50

When it's too windy to fly power, take to the slope. I've flown with wind speeds in excess of 50 mph.

Thread: Fixing bubbles in EPP tape covering
24/06/2020 09:47:20

MattyB - I don't find lam too difficult to work with, unless it's the really thick stuff, but the thicknesses I use easily bend around the curves. As it doesn't stretch, the trick is to iron it on in a reverse process to ordinary iron on film in that you begin with a long ironing stroke right along the middle of the wing. I usually begin at the fuse end working toward the tip. From there I gradually work my way outwards and following the curves. It's very easy, quick with no mess.

Before adding the ordinary iron on film I usually roughen up the lam a little with glass paper just to remove the shine and provide a little extra grip for the coloured film.

I've been using this method for a few years now and the models still look as good as the day I completed them.

23/06/2020 16:38:44

I've given up with coloured packing tape as a covering on foam wings. After a time UV fades the colour and makes the tape brittle and so it only has to be replaced eventually anyway, as does the cross weave tape usually applied underneath it.

So what I do now is apply a layer of 70 micron laminate film directly onto the sanded foam, which protects the foam and stiffens the wing. I then apply a layer of HK iron on film, creating whatever pattern I want. Then finally, because some slopes can have a lot of rough vegitation that can rip and tear coverings, I apply a layer of 40 micron laminate film on top which stiffens the wing so much you could iron your shirts on it and you get a great finish. This is what I did with my Wildthing rebuild and have done with all my other foamies.

wildthing 10

Thread: Gliding video thread
17/06/2020 09:31:08

So with Coronavirus travel restrictions of 5 miles still in place in Wales, I'm unable to drive to my local slopes for some gliding therapy, but has this stopped me from flying?

Thread: The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?
19/05/2020 10:52:23

No flying for us yet in Wales crying The weather has been perfect for some slope fun but were not allowed out yet. This video was filmed the weekend before our lockdown.

Thread: Rather Fast
07/04/2020 16:40:52

Not quite as fast as this glider though

Thread: Scratch Build Twin
30/03/2020 11:30:45

I'm following laugh

Thread: Gliding video thread
24/03/2020 10:54:17

Yep, John has been making these videos for a while now and is a prolific builder, primarily of vintage looking 2ch slope gliders, although he does fly PSS and other sport models also.

Thread: Winter is here....who's been flying?
16/03/2020 16:27:38

Headed up to my local slope for the 1st time this year, however the recent storms have all but washed the road away so I had to approach the mountain from the opposite side. Had only short flights of 3 - 5 minutes in between rain showers. I doubt the local council will repair the road any time soon.

Thread: A KIT for an electric glider
16/03/2020 13:50:44

Try these guys in Germany. I've had a couple of their kits and they are fab. Unfortunately they don't manufacture the Climaxx Compack 2m model anymore, which I have and I love flying.

Hollein

Thread: Who says flying thermal soarers is boring?
07/02/2020 14:42:11

Unfortunately for me most local fields I can use for thermal soaring are really too short to stretch out a full length bungee, but big enough to fly an EP glider, and I have had some great flights with my little 2m EP glider, just managing to bounce along from one low level thermal to another.

Thread: returning to bungee flying, big smiles
05/02/2020 14:05:03

Awesome! I wish I had a decent flat field near me for bungee flying. My nearest area is about a 50 minute drive away, by a slope I fly off.

Thread: Slope soaring sites near a camping site - help pleasee
06/01/2020 09:27:09

For me the best slope in the UK by far is at Rhossili in south west Wales, as long as a westerly is blowing. And Rhossili has a HUGE beach with lots of other beaches and sand dunes on the Gower peninsula for the rest of the family.

Thread: My first sloper almost ready
24/12/2019 08:53:42

I'm sure you'll have great fun with that, Stan's models are great.

Thread: DB Hurricane paint and finish.
04/12/2019 09:52:32

Forgive me for being a party pooper but isn't it illegal to display a swastika? I've noticed that on refurbished full sized BF109's & FW190's there isn't a complete swastika on them. Or is it only illegal in Germany?

Thread: Spektrum DX9 Crow Programming Query
18/11/2019 15:30:10

All of my pure gliders use the throttle stick to operate crow from top (crow off) to bottom (crow on), except for my electric motor Heron which I decided to operate both the throttle and crow braking from the throttle stick. So with the stick in the lower position I flick a switch one way and I'm on throttle on, crow off. Flick the switch the other way and I have throttle off, crow on. It works for me and I don't seem to get confused with the opposite motion for crow. I don't like operating throttle from a switch only either.

15/11/2019 09:08:55

Does the Spektrum not have the throttle stick up in the CROW off position as the default? Don't forget to add some elevator compensation, probably a tiny bit of down will do it.

Thread: New to model flying but not new to RC
06/11/2019 13:36:11

Yes I will have to do it but, is the test power model specific?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!