By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Houghton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Houghton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
27/09/2018 14:01:07

Like my PSS Tiffy on its bombing run then wink

tiffy bombing run.jpg

Thread: Anyone bought an Acrowot Foam-e Recently?
07/09/2018 10:53:01

I bought one recently and TBH I haven't paid so much attention to the stickers to notice if they are wrong or not, and personally I wouldn't really care as it's a foam sport model and not a scalie, and I wouldn't notice the difference in the air anyway as it's flying past inverted or on knife edge. But I had no issues with my model, it appeared to be perfect straight out of the box, so I think you may have just been unlucky, or was I lucky?

Thread: 2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread
07/09/2018 10:40:12

The detail is amazing Phil! yes

Thread: 7.4v Receiver pack/batteries/servos
22/08/2018 14:03:22

Gary - War birds are known for needing extra weight up front, and PSS models even more so, no matter how much weight you try to cut off the tail end, or how far forward you mount the RC gear. The PSS guys are currently in the process of a mass build Hawker Hurricane and all of these very experienced builders are having to add extra weight in the nose. Remember, no motor in these babies, just purely wind power.

Thread: Hawker Hurricane Mk I fabric detail
13/08/2018 14:49:12

Hey Bob, as you are building a Mk1 you may be interested in the Mk1 that was discovered in India and shipped to the UK by Peter Vacher. I watched the video on Amazon Prime at the weekend. What was particularly interesting was the black & white underside paint scheme, which I didn't know about.

The Amazon program is a series of rebuilds starting with a P51 Mustang then moving on to the Hurricane. Peter wanted to keep the build as authentic as possible and I found it truly amazing to watch.

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 13/08/2018 14:52:35

Thread: 11C 213 Squadron Hurricane El Alamein 1942
26/07/2018 11:39:56
Posted by Peter Garsden on 26/07/2018 07:56:33:

20180724_212537.jpg

The guns are now attached with magnets, but I fear the rubber is too thin. My wing dropped on the floor guns first and the elastic broke. Will try to shoe horn in thicker rubber in the repair and see how we go. Problem is there is not much width, and the magnets are very hard to cut even with a dremmel.

20180724_212548.jpg

A very interesting fix Pete which I must try to incorporate into my Tiffy yes

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2018
03/07/2018 09:58:49

Yep, windy yesterday, windy today, you can bet your life the wind will disappear again on the weekend angry

26/06/2018 13:32:17

I may just come up anyway and make the most of the fabulous beaches and scenery if flying isn't an option, but I will keep a beady eye on the forecast, it's just a case of which forecast do we believe? dont know

14/06/2018 09:46:56

I'll be driving up on the Friday and leaving about 4 PM on Sunday, camping at Tai'r Lon, Cilan as Ann had no space left.

Thread: Dreamflight Libelle
12/06/2018 13:23:09

I built one and just used standard CA and it was fine.

Thread: Versatile slope soarer
12/06/2018 09:25:00

Hi Rob. Stan is talking about using the ailerons as spoilers or flaps (spoilerons or flapperons). In other words you program your tx so that on a landing approach the ailerons are reflexed for spoilerons, (go up) by about half of the amount of your full aileron travel. So if your ailerons go up by a max of 10mm, then use 5 - 6mm reflex, which will still afford you some roll ability. In this configuration the model may put its nose down too much so you may have to program in some up elevator compensation also, but each model is different and you will have to play this by ear. The effect of the spoilers is to kill the lift so that the model descends more quickly, but this can also increase the speed of the model, which in light wind situations can make landing more difficult than if you didn't use them, but at least you have the option.

Your other option is to use the ailerons in the opposite way as flaps, in which case you would probably need to program in some down elevator compensation as when you deploy the flaps the model may balloon upwards with the possibility of the model stalling. The same rule regarding flap travel applies as per flapperons.

You can program this onto a 2 position switch to give you on/off, or a 3 position switch gives you 2 levels of control travel, but better still is to program it onto your throttle stick, giving you proportional control, as you would with a mouldy glider.

You won't be disappointed with the Carerra, it's a cracking model and I love flying mine.

Thread: Hitec Flash 8
01/06/2018 09:37:22

Glad to hear they work well as I'm considering buying one. In fairness, all of the non Hitec receivers I've used have bound well to my A9 and keep a rock solid link with the TX with no loss of signal #scarybumclenchingmoments

Thread: Versatile slope soarer
30/05/2018 08:32:26

Hi Rob - I can vouch for the Stan Yeo designs at Phoenixmp as I have the Vagabond and Carerra. The Carerra has a semi symetrical section, will cruise around in fairly light conditions, but give it a 20 mph wind and she'll perform all the aeros you want. Heck mine will even do a knife edge.

The kits are great quality and come complete with all the fittings. You only have to buy the usual sanding paper, glue, covering etc. The Carerra is great value at about £75.

I do like flying mouldies, but I don't have a decent enough budget for them usually, but balsa and foam are pretty good, and balsa isn't as crunchie as some think, but they are easier to repair than glass if you have a bit of a bump.

Steve

A470soaring

Thread: PSSA Chat
15/05/2018 09:07:15

Cheers Phil yes

14/05/2018 16:09:55

I have the Island Models Aermacchi MB339, which I bought 2nd hand. The RX battery pack had only been glued to the inside shell of the fuse using hot melt glue, and it came away at the weekend when it hit a tump of vegetation and came to a sudden stop.

So, in order for the model to balance it will need to be fitted about half way between the fuse wing hatch and the nose tip. Any ideas how I could do this but allowing me access in case I need to replace the battery? Or am I better just slapping a bit of epoxy or more hot glue on it?

Aermacchi MB339 PSS

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2018
14/05/2018 08:43:13

Thanks to all who turned up to the PSSA meet at the Bwlch. Saturday we were scratching around for lift, but the Bwlch came good on Sunday when the wind changed direction to a westerly, then we had great lift in smooth air and fab flying conditions with wall to wall sunshine all day.

A particular thanks to Alan who travelled all the way from the NE of England. It's the first time I've ever seen a seaplane fly off our slopes.

Hopefully I will see you at the Llyn.

PSS May 18

11/05/2018 08:28:34

So the weather people have changed their minds again about Saturday and they are showing a light breeze from a southerly direction, which will mean flying from Back of Wrecker. I'll be getting up there for about 9 AM to check that is correct and we can meet up at the Ice Cream slope lay-by at 10 as usual and drive up to the Wrecker lay-by if that is the case.

Sunday is still looking westerly so it'll be a hike over to the far side of Mickeys, a 15 - 20 minute walk, depending on how fit you are or how heavy your models are. But you never know, the weather men may change their minds again.

It looks like there are only 6 of us for dinner on Saturday night and I am about to drop the restaurant an email with our food choices.

See ya'll tomorrow guys yes

11/05/2018 08:17:11

I agree with Phil Alan, you'd be better off driving and staying dry, as I will be.

10/05/2018 12:50:14

So at the moment it looks like there are only 5 of us for dinner on Saturday. This is your final call as I will need to send the restaurant the list and make payment tomorrow morning.

I wish these weather apps would get their acts together! angry The local BBC were still saying this morning a southerly wind for the weekend, however XC for Cardiff airport are now saying more westerly 6 mph for Saturday and westerly 15 mph on Sunday, which will make Sunday's flying on Mickey's awesome, as it will be more like 25 mph up there. There is still time for this to change though. Fingers crossed eh.

09/05/2018 08:08:54

Thanks for your replies guys, if I can have the rest asap please so that I can forward your meal requests onto the restaurant, I'd appreciate it.

Ok, no problem staying at the Bwlch, and as it happens the forecast is changing a bit anyway, (surprise, surprise), with sunshine & showers on Saturday with a southerly wind which should be about 20 mph plus on the slope, so it could be a good day. We would still be on Back of Wrecker.

Sunday the wind looks all over the shop currently, beginning southerly and then moving south westerly around 4 PM with only a light breeze, so if that forecast remains, we'll still be on Back of Wrecker.

Keep your fingers crossed guys.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us