By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big T

Here is a list of all the postings Big T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UK GYRO MEET 2013
21/07/2013 21:39:47

Canny wait for the snaps Dave. Can you believe the Calidus was in one piece?

21/07/2013 19:20:14

Nice pictures, I understand RCM&E Foamy Dave took loads (1500 PLUS???) But did he get our mid air Ian?

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
11/07/2013 17:01:57

Can Anyone give me a link to new arms for the TowerPro MG995 servos please?

Thread: UK GYRO MEET 2013
11/07/2013 16:56:19

Hi Cali, providing the weather plays ball I plan to be there for the weekend. Any chance we can set up on Thursday night?

Tim

Thread: Rich Harris designed GEMINI New Build
09/07/2013 15:55:27

Thanks Dave, it is a real floater and big too. It does take a bit more effort to fly like most pushers but it is very stable . The only problem I have with it is if the wind is about 15 mph upwards it wont come down! No matter what I do. If I push down and open the throttle it goes up. If I pull full back and open the throttle it goes backwards. Great fun.

Tim

08/07/2013 17:15:06
Posted by Richard Elliot on 04/07/2013 11:26:29:
Nice flying Tim, as you say, that's nicely dialled in. Now all we have to do is get all three up at once!

Thought there was 4! So mine is 1 of the only 3 in the world!

08/07/2013 17:14:09

Hi Rich, has it stopped working(dead screen) or have you lost the programme ???

03/07/2013 20:46:19

Can someone confirm to me if the head kit has the flange bearings included?

Thread: Rich Harris designed GEMINI New Build
03/07/2013 18:59:46

With the Gemini really dialled in now, here is a short video filmed on a very blustery afterno

on

11/06/2013 16:56:29
Posted by Trevor on 11/06/2013 10:41:38:

. What is the first sign I should be looking for that the cg is back far enough?

Somewhere there is a video of Richard showing a perfect take off followed by hands free circuits of a Panther. For me when the cg is correct the fuselage is level in forward flight power on. The take off is a slow roll out with full back stick until the blades start to generate lift. (this is an experience thing I have found) the power is increased to full and back stick is let off. The lift off is smooth and level. Don't hurry the roll out, I sometimes copy Rich and do a couple of circles to build up head speed. Basically I find that if the cg is too far back the tail drags and everything is far too sensitive, just like a fixed wing. I cannot emphasise enough that the throttle is very rarely left alone and the rudder is the primary direction control.

Tim

ps if I can find the video I will post it

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
11/06/2013 10:05:52

Ah Haa, a modified and easier to build Gemini me thinks???? Having snapped the tail plane on my Gemini a couple of times during transportation I have an idea for a mod. How about making the tail assembly removable and fixing the halfs of the tailplane between to plates and held in my nylon bolts that pinch the Depron? Nice prop by the way!

Tim

11/06/2013 09:58:57

Trevor well done for going it alone on your test flight. A question: Did you do any trimming hops before committing to flight? From my experience with 4 Panther maidens it looked as if you where holding the nose up on the rotor? This could be either the hang angle is wrong for your blades (they are all different) or it is nose heavy. I would start by moving the cg back a bit at a time and doing a few trimming hops until she takes of hands free, as most of the Panthers do. And remember to slow down the take off run to give the blades time to speed up. I actually prefer my Panthers a bit nose heavy and I have also put -15 expo in the roll (Futaba + 15 Spectrum)

In a light wind, 10 to 15 mph, you should be able to fly at walking speed by applying power and back stick. If you are having to hold back stick in to maintain altitude it is not trimmed out for level flight. Panthers will fly hands off at half throttle. Reducing shim will increase lift but will reduce spin up. However, the down side of this is that in a stiff breeze you will get too much lift and struggle to land! Been there, done that etc with my Gemini flying backwards and gaining height!!

Also with regard to the final arrival; that did look as if you ran out of lift downwind, the downwind turn is always tough with a Gyro, especially if you are turning right. In fact I stuffed mine in exactly the same way turning right downwind, I just ran out of lift as the airspeed was equal or less than the wind speed. Pulling the stick back just makes it worse, just like pulling up elevator in a fixed wing stall. Rich E drummed it into me to never turn without a lot of throttle on. A low power turn in a Gyro can turn into a spiral dive very quickly. Once the nose goes down the blades stop lifting, game over. When landing a Gyro it seems to me that I nearly always have full throttle on at the touchdown. A good test for when I have found the "sweet spot" is to climb to about 100 feet slightly down wind of you and into wind, level off, and shut the throttle. A correctly balanced Panther should autorotate with a slightly nose down angle. With practice you will be able to land at your feet using throttle to flair out. Also with a gyro throttle gives altitude and back stick gives speed.

29/05/2013 18:50:32

Koen, in my limited experience (compared to Rich & Rich), converting to Gyro's from fixed wing is not easy! One thing you learn very quickly is not to let the throttle alone. You have to be on the throttle all the time to maintain hight and speed.

29/05/2013 17:45:19

Hi Koen, I just took another look at the second flight and actually is looked OK on take off. You must geve more power when turning, especially turning right and when turning down wind.

29/05/2013 17:42:19
Posted by Koen Smits on 28/05/2013 11:48:24:

Hello all, here is video from 2 short flights with the Panther autogyro.

Second flight ends with a crash. Comment language is dutch.

**LINK**

Everything is repairable without much work.

Koen

Edited By Koen Smits on 28/05/2013 11:49:18

Hi Koen, what a shame, your Panther looked as if it was flying OK on the second flight. The blades where working,(I could hear them on the video). It looked like a classic case of taking off too far away and getting dissoriented. Try standing half way along the take of run so it is not too far away when it lifts off. Also, try short hops first to trim it out. My experience of 4 Panthers I have test flown is that some need more nose weight than others even though they all start out balancing on the same point. My own flies much better with the balance point moved forward.

Tim

27/05/2013 18:05:13

Hey Stuart, if you can build a Panther then you can build the blades, trust me it's not that hard. You can get the balsa and the hardwood from SLEC or Balsa cabin and if you ask they will even weigh the planks for you to get them equal.

Tim

26/05/2013 18:55:56

Stuart, I will try to answer but I am sure Rich will correct me if I am wrong. I know nothing of the LA 500 blades but I can say that the blades as per the plan work and work very well. Both with and without the negative shim. My sugestion is this: turn on the radio (Tx Rx), hold the model in both hands above your head and tilt it back so the blades are between 50 degres and 90 degrees to the ground. Then walk forward slowly into wind. The blades shouls spin up and the model should get light in your hands. You may need to walk some way depending on how strong the wind is. If the blades spin up then you just need to increase the rear tilt of the head. If they do not then the blades either are no good or you need more negative shim. Too much shim will give a high rpm but low lift. Less or no shim will give slow RPM and high lift.

25/05/2013 20:57:00
Posted by Richard Harris on 25/05/2013 19:39:10:

Dave has now finished his Panther x2 and will hopefully be maidening it very soon. I am hoping that he will be able to get to Greenacres and garce the skies with what I believe is the largest tractor autogyro in the UK.

A photo with the Proud builder stood by it ...big or what? AUW is 16lbs !

Rich

Very nice project and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh but please make sure you revue the ANO CAP 658 rules for models over 7KG **LINK** before you fly, especially the legal requirement for a fail safe.

24/05/2013 16:04:07

Hi David, I literally set mine up so it travels the maximum distance possible with the largest horn I could put on the servo. I gives me about 2.5 inches in either direction measured at the very end of the rudder. 45 degrees from neutral in both directions.

Tim A

21/05/2013 21:36:15
Posted by Martin Reed 1 on 21/05/2013 15:47:32:

Hi Richard,

I'm new today on this site and I don't know whether I'm in the right place to ask this question! However - here goes:-

I bought the complete wood pack to build the 'Panther' and I must say the laser and router cutting is superb. I'm now (estimated) about 60% into the build and have just completed the rotor blades and bolted them to the triangular gf centre plate. MY QUESTION IS THIS - Please tell me I'm wrong but the miniscule amount of negative incidence on the blades provided by the 0.4mm thick ply strips on the rear edge of the bottom reinforcement plates seems to provide not much more than about one degree of negative incidence on the rotor blades. I've read a lot about the theory of autogyro flight and I understand that the rotor blades are, in effect, like glider wings descending through the upcoming airstream flowing through the rotor disc. I have difficulty accepting that the tiny amount of negative angle of attack on the blades will be sufficient to start the rotor 'windmilling'! Your comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sincerely,

Martin Reed

Hi Martin, as said previously in this thread, the blades, if built to the profile on the plan will spin up and give enough lift without the shim. However, the 0.4mm ship will improve the spin up and give a more manageable model in the air. One problem with high lift blades, such as the Aerobalsa blades from the USA, is they give too much lift and in anything but a light wind make the model extremely difficult to land as they do not want to come down. Trust the plan, it works
and take a look at this video

http://vimeo.com/29114412

http://vimeo.com/29114412

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us