By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for buster prop

Here is a list of all the postings buster prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RES-Eagle Glider RCME March 2018
09/11/2019 13:04:57

Thanks for replying Ton. I’ll make positions for the tow hook to be fitted at either location then. Front 63mm for windy conditions and rear at 73mm if it’s calm. I was surprised that the present plan includes details to fit a motor, if I wanted another 2M E-Glider I’d have bought the Red Eagle kit instead.

08/11/2019 21:21:22

I have compared the two plans and the only change seems to be the tow hook position. Originally (March 2018) it was 73mm behind F03, on the kit plan it is 63mm. CG on both plans is the same, at 90mm behind the wing leading edge above F03. What difference would that make?

08/11/2019 10:53:27

I went for it - and ordered a kit from SMC which was delivered yesterday. It contains an enormous rolled plan and a lot of wood with C/F spars. Apparently the diameter of spars in the outer panels has been increased because of reported flutter when launching. Can’t do any harm for a tiny weight increase. Our club is proposing to hold a comp next summer for 2M F3-RES gliders using a standard bungee. Some others have ordered gliders from Hyperflight but I thought they seemed a bit light for UK conditions. The RES Eagle is a bit heavier than those but with about the same wing loading and a viable wing section, AG36. I also have the March 2018 article and plan which I’ve studied.

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
30/10/2019 17:05:01

Yes I do use a throttle safety switch. On my DX7 (G2) it's the H switch on the top right side of the transmitter just above the aileron /elevator stick if you fly mode2. I've set it up as a mix with the THRO CUT function and is on when the switch is towards me and off when away. That's so that I can hook it with my right index finger when about to launch or take off then push it back when the model lands. Easy to do on Spektrum, Taranis companion would be completely beyond me I'm afraid.

Thread: RES Eagle
22/10/2019 18:55:31

Steve, I tried bungee launching a few years ago and although I got the glider unhooked it lost quite a lot of height. Thanks for the tip about having slight up elevator for launch. With electric I have a bit of down to stop the climb being too steep as the model can power stall or even loop. I have seen skilled pilots hover the plane at the top of the towline, pointing into wind, then stretch the bungee vertically and ping the glider off gaining more height. Something to learn after a few successful launches I think.

22/10/2019 14:00:45

Phil, I’ve ordered a kit from SMC. They rang to say there will be a delay while they get 6mm carbon spars. I think the outer panels have had the spar size increased from 4mm on the original plan to 6 because of flutter problems on launch. Our club has run electric glider comp’s for the last few years and are now proposing an F3 bungee launched 2M class so I’m having a go. I’ve been a regular E competitor so I’m used to flying gliders but not experienced at bungee launching. Other people manage and It doesn’t look too difficult as long as the glider is set up properly with no warps. Your model looks good, has it flown yet?

Thread: MFA Chevron 2
21/10/2019 10:23:29

Hi John, you are a blast from the past. I knew you years ago and have sent a "friend" request. Don't want to hijack this thread.

Thread: RES Eagle
12/10/2019 13:12:18

Phil, Please let us know how it flies and if you can, post some pictures. I have the plan for the RES-Eagle and it’s next on my build list. Btw there is a build thread on here started by Ton, the designer. Looking at the plan there isn’t a lot of room for moving the spoiler servo it’s between the carbon spar and the front wing bolt. Our club intends to run F3 comps next year for 2M towline gliders and the RES Eagle looks like a good candidate.

Thread: E-Hawk 1500
10/09/2019 10:42:57

Hi Alan. I have an E-Hawk 1500 and had to strengthen the pod to boom joint with glass cloth and epoxy. That was because I slope soared it and had a heavy-ish landing. Not a crash, just a typical slope arrival which one of my proper slope gliders would have survived. I know the E-Hawk isn’t intended for sloping but it actually went very well for a few flights before the breakage. I think the tail whipped sideways and snapped off the stub at the back of the pod, I haven’t used an internal alloy tube. Remember that the pushrods would have to go through the tube and there isn’t a lot of room. Good luck with yours.

Edited By buster prop on 10/09/2019 10:44:01

Thread: Brian Winch
27/08/2019 11:44:45

Yes, I used to read his column in the mag even though I don’t use I/c engines. Brian was one of those people with huge experience and know-how who could explain it to anyone. A real engineer who could communicate as well, he will be missed by all of us.

Thread: Electric Cars.
14/08/2019 11:34:15

Returning to my point about there being five different connectors for electric car charging, I was quoting what was in the magazine article. According to it there are: Type 1 for AC charging - now adopted in North America, Type 2 adopted by the EU for 22kW or less, Combo 2 which is an enhanced version of type 2 (the big heavy one), Type 4 for DC fast charging and finally the Tesla supercharger with a CCS connector. So CCS and CHADEMO are competing standards, like VHS and Betamax? Presumably my friend has a CHADEMO connector to charge his Nissan Leaf. I read somewhere that most car journeys in the UK are 5 miles or less which would be a big benefit in reducing emissions if we used pure electric cars as runabouts but as yet they are not so good for long journeys. That’s what the article implies. I have a petrol Focus and when I eventually replace it I will probably buy a Hybrid, if electric cars’ range and recharging facilities aren’t much improved. BTW, Don, I’m sorry I overreacted to your remark about me being of a certain age, I hadn’t picked up on the competing standards angle and thought you were implying that I’m an old Luddite. I just won’t rush out yet and buy a purely electric car but will watch developments, and this thread, with interest.

11/08/2019 22:17:51

Don. According to the article OLEV was set up (in 2011) with a budget of £900M which has since ballooned to £1.5Bn so I presume that is per year. You seem to object to electric car drivers driving without paying fuel duty and that the government is subsidising them. Well, the government has committed itself to reducing CO2 emissions by phasing out petrol and diesel power by 2030. Until then it wants to reduce emissions from the millions of vehicles on our roads to improve air quality. It’s a matter of national policy, not subsidising a particular group of people. Whether the technology sorts itself out or not remains to be seen. BTW, I don’t like the insulting reference to me ‘being of a certain age’ and remembering VHS/Betamax. What does that have to do with it? I believe we have crossed swords before under a different topic.

11/08/2019 19:06:35

There was a very relevant article (Britain unplugged) in today’s Sunday Times magazine. I never knew that there are five different charging plugs for EV’s. There is a so-called Euro standard plug which is apparently very big and heavy with its cable. The main point of the article was that there are simply not enough charging points in the UK to make electric cars practical for distance driving. They quote examples of people who have set off on long journeys and have had difficulty finding a suitable and working charge facility. I know someone who has a Nissan Leaf and had a charge point for it installed in his garage, but it’s a second car just used for local journeys. The UK planning for EV’s comes in for criticism. Apparently in 2011, Holland set up a consortium of companies that sell electricity and now have facilities to fast charge up to 20 vehicles at the same time. The UK? A budget to set up an office in 2009 called the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) which is supposed to organise the motor and power industry to come up with a method of providing charge points around the country. It has a large staff, a central London office and a budget of £1.5Bn and has achieved very little. If we have a problem to solve, the answer seems to be to create a big bureaucracy in an expensive office, produce paper and not actually do much. Sounds familiar?

Thread: Moon landing
22/07/2019 12:16:27

Mannish, I was reading about the Indian moon mission in this morning’s Times newspaper. 47 days to get to the moon? Reason is that the crafts’ earth orbit is made increasingly eccentric by short ‘burns’ to make it approach the moon closer on each loop until lunar gravity takes over. A manned mission would have to do it differently as Apollo did. Interesting reading and I hope it succeeds.

22/07/2019 10:20:37

I don’t know why the US moon landings would have been faked, it doesn’t make any sense. Each Apollo launch was seen by millions of people live on TV and those who were at Cape Canaveral. Presumably the conspiracy theory is that the astronauts weren’t in the rocket because they went back down the tower before it launched. Alternatively, the Saturn 5 launched them into an earth orbit for a few days instead of flying to the moon while the landing and moonwalks were being faked in a studio. Later, TV showed the capsule splashing down into the Pacific and the real astronauts emerging. I don’t see how either of those theories are possible and too many people would have known. Remember that the Russians were desperately trying to get to the moon first and their engineers knew that Saturn 5/Apollo was a viable system. Why would the Americans go to all the trouble and expense of building and launching several moon-capable Apollos and then take the risk of being discovered faking moon landings? Easier to just go there. The landings happened for the following reasons: Does anyone think the TV pictures from the Apollo 8 command module of the earth from lunar orbit at the end of 1968 were faked and were pictures of the un-docked lunar lander in orbit around the moon (Apollo 9&10) faked as well? If not, then NASA had a manned craft capable of orbiting the moon and performing 90% of the mission. The only possible reason for faking just the landing mission was because they realised in 1969 that they couldn’t guarantee a safe landing and re-launch from the lunar surface. Why would NASA only think of that so late in the project? Being discovered faking moon walks with actors in space suits would have meant the end of NASA because they’d spent millions of dollars of taxpayers’ money developing a system capable of getting men to the moon and then didn’t land them. Too much risk. Therefore, unless the whole Apollo program between 1962 and 1972 was faked, which I find hard to believe because of the huge number of people who would have had to be sworn to secrecy, all they had to do was ensure that the lunar module would land and take off again. Remember that Apollo 11 was tracked by Jodrell Bank, they brought back moon rocks, left experiments on the moon and evidence of the 1969-72 landings can be seen from lunar orbit.

Edited By buster prop on 22/07/2019 10:24:20

Thread: Prostate Cancer
11/07/2019 19:51:07

I went for my annual ‘MOT’ blood tests recently and luckily the results are all marked Satisfactory. My PSA is 2.5 which is ok as I am 72. It has crept up slowly, 15 years ago when I had the first test it was 0.8. If it suddenly shoots up then I’m sure the Doc will have a closer look at me. We had a new GP a couple of years ago and she pulled me in for the DRE in view of my age (then 69). Was ok but recommended that I have an annual test. I’d tell anyone to get checked and know what your baseline PSA is.

Thread: M6? Not If I Can Help It......
26/05/2019 10:40:49

I realise that we are getting off the topic but I'm reminded of something. In Germany they used to say that if you want a Starfighter just buy a field and wait.

Thread: Almost a disaster
23/05/2019 21:19:23

A few months ago I treated myself to an Easy Glider 4, the RR version. I’m very pleased with it, nice to fly, good glide and the usual Multiplex quality. I liked the idea that the complete tail removes with one nylon bolt so that the model can be transported in its box. The bolt goes in under the tail and clamps the fin/rudder onto the tail-plane with the pushrods secured last. One day at the field and because of my haste to get the EG4 assembled and flying, this last bit nearly caused a crash. I put the tail on as described and connected the push-rods to the rudder and elevator. I centred the surfaces and tightened the grub screws but hadn’t plugged in the battery, thinking that the servos were centred. They weren’t. Out on the flight line I plugged in, waited for the ESC beeps, picked up the model and waggled the sticks, but because I was holding the model up I only looked at the ailerons which were ok and moved in the right sense. I launched and immediately knew something was badly wrong, the EG4 was circling right and power stalling. I got some height then cut the motor and fed in lots of left and down trim. Even so, it was way out of trim and I had to hold in a lot of down elevator to stop the EG4 stalling and then steer it back towards the strip. I still hadn’t twigged what the problem was, being so busy trying to get the EG4 back on the ground in one piece. I did land it, a fair walk away but it was ok. As I got near the plane I could see the rudder was off centre and then realised what was wrong. I centred the trims again and could see the elevator had a lot of ‘up’ and the rudder was over to the right. I was lucky to get away with that, I would have been furious with myself if I’d smashed an almost new model, which had been flying perfectly well, because of a stupid mistake. Now I have put a note inside the box lid telling me to set the rudder and elevator with the trims centred and the receiver on. I always mix in a throttle safety switch on the Tx so that I can make adjustments without the motor starting. My Easy Glider lives to fly again.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
04/05/2019 21:03:41

I have returned the questionnaire to the CAA, confining myself just to answering questions 5,6,and 7 without any rants. I have also written (by email) to Baroness Vere re-iterating my concerns and expanding them to explain how model flying is such a worthwhile activity and that many professionals in the aerospace industry are, or have been aeromodellers. I don't know how interested she will be in all this, from her web page she seems more concerned about female equality. I used bits of a previous letter I wrote to the the previous Aviation Minister back in 2017 in response to another BMFA request. Let's hope all our efforts have some effect..

Thread: Where's all the stock?
25/04/2019 22:53:25

I recently ordered an Easyglider 4 RR from Al`s Hobbies in Milton Keynes and it only took a week or so to get hold of. I went for an RR because I'm impatient to get it flying without having to find and/or buy a suitable motor, speed controller and servos, as well as put it all together. I don't think the R.R is bad value for its quality and flying reputation, I've flown my Easyglider and was pleased with how well it went straight out of the box and its easy to fly. Not my first Multiplex model but I wanted a relaxing go-to glider to replace my much repaired Radian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us