By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin collins 1

Here is a list of all the postings martin collins 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aeromaster
10/07/2020 18:31:58

Very nice, you`ve done a good job there, no wing struts?

Thread: Painting/masking a doped Polyspan covered model.
10/07/2020 18:04:03

Ok, the Jodel is ready for some paint, the full size i am modelling it on is white with a blue cowl area which then curves, runs along the front of the wing and also into a stripe which runs down to the tail. Undecided whether to airbrush the whole airframe white then add the blue or leave the frame `oh natural` and just ad the blue, it is supposed to be a vintage build so maybe just the blue, opinions? I will be using Tamiya acrylic paint, the model is electric.

Also, will the masking (frog tape and a thin automotive mask tape) pull the finish off the surface? Final question, airbrush or good quality hand brush, what have you guys done with good results? Sorry for all the questions, very pleased with the model so far so want the finished item to look good. Decided against coloured tissue for the trim. This forum is great, had so much good advice during my last couple of builds yes img_20200705_103200_resized_20200705_105031314.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 10/07/2020 18:11:46

Thread: Skyleader slider servos, max voltage, ok to use or what replacement?
10/07/2020 17:38:39

Good tip Shaun, will try that if i need the holes widening, the paint is way past pristine anyway, it has a nice patina to it. If it flies really nicely i will treat it to a change of scheme over the winter............

10/07/2020 16:20:07

Will need extension wires run through the wing anyway as it is a large model so i will put new plugs on the ends.

10/07/2020 15:03:40

Thanks Shaun, came to the same conclusion in the end, just hope the hole through the ribs is large enough for servo wire. Replacing the fuselage control snakes as well as the inner on the plastic snakes is of the crimp type but they have not been crimped, only very old epoxy holding them in and the inner snake is also very brittle...........

Thread: Cleaning out a fuel soaked engine bay?
09/07/2020 17:46:56

The engine bay area of my Hawker hind has been well soaked over the years with glow fuel, this has sat for probably 10 years since it was last run, what is the best way of cleaning it up before i stick a nice clean electric motor in there?

Thread: Skyleader slider servos, max voltage, ok to use or what replacement?
09/07/2020 15:06:49

Interesting Martian, i have posed the question to the Servo shop, hopefully they can provide a definite answer or suggest a suitable replacement. I will post their response for anyone else who may come across this question.

09/07/2020 14:33:45

I realise the voltage is controlled by the ESC, the rx has to run with 6v on the Spektrum 2.4, a lot of people got caught out running 4.8v rx packs when not going through the ESC, say on an i.c model as the voltage dropped too low for it to operate.

09/07/2020 13:58:29

I have replaced all the old Skyleader servos in my Hawker Hart conversion except the aileron one which is under a small hatch in the top wing, as you can see from the pictures it is of the old slider type. It is going to be used in a 6s electric conversion, will the servo take the voltage or better still is there a suitable slider type replacement? I am using Spektrum 2.4 radio gear.img_20200709_134830_resized_20200709_014925488.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 09/07/2020 13:59:11

Thread: Hawker Hart 72" span model designer identity and c of g?
09/07/2020 12:22:06

I agree Eric but this has obviously been flown a lot and on this engine as the holes are only large enough to fit this size. The cord of the wing is 11.5" and the two points are 1.5" apart, not a small margin...........

09/07/2020 12:00:02

How did i miss that!!, Might well be but know way of finding out unless i get a look at the plan.........

However, i think this must be much lighter built, i haven`t removed the engine yet but i would say it looks around a .60 two stroke size.

Edited By martin collins 1 on 09/07/2020 12:01:46

09/07/2020 11:45:43

I bought this about a year ago and have just got round to pulling all the old Skyleader rx and servos out of it to put modern 2.4 stuff in. It has a 2 stroke i.c in it which is coming out to be replaced by an electric set up. The airframe is very light for it`s size and should make a nice flying model, my question is c of g, i have measured where it is on the current set up as it has obviously flown as is so that is my starting point but i have looked at the Gordon Whitehead 72" version and it is much further forward on that. This model is not built from that plan, the tailplane construction is much lighter on this and has no sheeting in the centre of it. I see on Sarik`s website that David Smith did a 73" one and it is on the X List plans list, the plan is nearly £30 so i don`t wish to purchase it unless i know my model IS built from that plan but i would be very interested to know where the c of g is on that. Can anyone help in any way c of g wise? Many thanks for any help given. h hawk 4.jpg img_20200709_111334_resized_20200709_111356267.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 09/07/2020 11:47:14

Thread: Priory Models Silhouette
08/07/2020 18:00:57

Both the models in the above picture are now for sale due to a couple of newly built models and more kits to do, running out of space in the hobby room thinking i still have my other Silhouette and an unbuilt kit so i won`t be Silhouetteless! Ad in the Classified section for anyone interested.

Thread: Excellent service
07/07/2020 11:54:49

Shout out for Mike Woodhouse of Free Flight supplies, posted me some Polyspan for covering my Jodel and answered my questions by phone and email at well outside normal working hours, will certainly use him again.

Thread: Polyspan, airbrush or brush on thinned dope?
07/07/2020 11:37:43

Ok, job done, brushed on a coat at about 60/40% ratio as Mike Woodhouse suggested more thinners than dope, very pleased with the result, will put a second coat on as there are a few pin pricks here and there in the weave still. Rain however has tempararily stopped play on that front for the moment, i enjoy film covering a plane and adding coloured trim but there is something special about covering with a tissue like substance and doping it, i had forgotten how much i enjoyed it! Last model i did that on was built from the same plan was fourty four years ago disgust I have another one from this plan to build for a diesel and a similar sized GeeBee Model D to do for electric, all will be covered in Polyspan and doped with an acrylic paint finish smiley

06/07/2020 22:54:10

Advice needed, airbrush or brush on thinned dope, am going with 75% thinners to dope is that ok? Many thanks...........

Thread: Gluing laser cut kits
06/07/2020 16:55:56

Saw this in this months RCM&E, anyone tried it yet? Supposed to be designed for laser cut kits.

**LINK**

Thread: Diesel anybody?
06/07/2020 09:35:22

img_20200705_103207_resized_20200705_105030395.jpgJust built this 38.5 span Jodel from a 1955 aero modeler mag plan, this one is electric but i had two kits cut, the second will be for an 0.49 diesel for which the original free flight plan was for. Not had a diesel before but would like to give it a go, what is the best stuff for cleaning the model off after the fuel gets on it, covering will be doped Polyspan. img_20200705_103200_resized_20200705_105031314.jpg

Thread: Build and fly a Jodel from plans, latest 7 day challenge
05/07/2020 20:34:24

Dad_flyer, make sure you put shiny side out, not easy to see the difference to be honest but get it the wrong way and the grain raises when doped. Best way to make sure is try a bit of dope on it and the side that stays flat is the outer side.

05/07/2020 11:33:56

Medium weight as recommended by Mike at Free flight supplies, used a glue stick to put it on, faster and less messy than Balsaloc, the UHU stick glue is coloured so you can see where you it is put on, it turns clear after a few mins. Sealed with thinned non shrinking dope, used my heat iron to stretch it, seems pretty strong stuff, will definitely use again on this size model. Will post pics of the Jodel in the new model section one it is painted with a bit of scale detailing.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!