By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin collins 1

Here is a list of all the postings martin collins 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laminated WW1 type prop, where to source?
10/06/2020 21:28:00

I have a friend who has built his own glow engine from a kit, he is just going to display the finished engine and would like to put a wooden laminated prop on it of about 7, 8" diameter. I did a quick on line search and didn``t really find anything available in the UK, can anyone point me in the right direction?.............M

Thread: The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?
09/06/2020 22:23:39

Flew my Speedy Bee and got the maiden plus a second flight on my Pou De Ceil Flying Flea. Bit of a handful on the first flight as it turns out the pitch control, which is by means of a tilting front wing (max 1/8" deflection each way) works the opposite way to what you would think! All at the flying site assumed that the wing lowered at the rear edge would make the Flea climb.........wrong, i spent most of the first flight holding in full down and then put in full down trim. I experimented and centralised the stick and lo and behold it flew better. A bit more stick twiddling showed that the stick was acting in reverse, the second flight was much better with it working in the right direction and i got a round of applause from the other guys after a nice landing. Not the most relaxing plane to fly but it does look great on a slow fly past.img_20200609_180029_resized_20200609_095622076 (1).jpg

Thread: Priory Models Silhouette
08/06/2020 22:09:36

img_20200608_184719_resized_20200608_100802205.jpgOk, rejoined my other club so i could get some flying in, got the maiden in and had two other flights on my second Silhouette, this is the modified one, flys great (as they all do) but looks totally different in the air to my other one. No quips about the Speedy Bee, took that up for a quick Buzz etc.........laugh

img_20200608_184709_resized_20200608_100803293.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 08/06/2020 22:14:05

Thread: Robin Fowler's Percival Prentice.
08/06/2020 11:58:42

Nice pictures Robin, did you keep the glow version once you had built the electric one or was it sold on?...........M

08/06/2020 08:34:03

Video of Robin`s Prentice being assembled and flown on youtube. **LINK**

08/06/2020 07:54:47

They make an easy electric conversion, just cut into the top foam decking to make a nice hatch, mine goes great on a 3300 4s pack........

Thread: Robin Fowler's Percival Prentice.
08/06/2020 07:39:43

Welcome to the forum Robin, glad you have joined here, i attended the Baldock electric fly ins for a number of years with my 10ft span B17 and enjoyed seeing your latest creations flying. Always loved the Percival and Miles aircraft of that era, your Prentice and Gemini are on my to do list...............

Are you working on anything at the moment................Martin

07/06/2020 20:18:43

Making me jealous now, our field is still shut, i have my recently converted camouflaged one to maiden............

Thread: Cox 0.49 Aeromodeller magazine ad from the 70`s
07/06/2020 11:37:59

Is there a ready mixed fuel to run a DC Wasp still available, i was thinking of getting one for old times sake and sticking it in a small r/c airframe............

07/06/2020 11:12:11

Many thanks, yes definitely a Wasp, looking at the Cox engines mine didn`t have a tank affixed to it, and Wasp sprung to mind as i typed my first post...........

07/06/2020 10:40:18

I had a Cox 0.49 glow engine when i was in my teens and remember the ad inside the cover of the Aeromodeller magazines of the time, could someone scan the page and post on here please? Also i am trying to remember which one i had, i seem to recall there were several 0.49 sized motors, it may have been called the Wasp? What was the difference between them...............Martin

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
06/06/2020 12:37:09

Looks very nice Martin, will get round to building one at some point in the future, always Preferred the look of the Stampe to the Moths.................M

Thread: Solafilm and Alternatives
06/06/2020 10:35:25

Always used Profilm, doesn`t sag in hot weather like Solarfilm...........

Thread: Cambrian models 1/4 scale Cassutt Racer build thread
31/05/2020 10:41:47

New roll of covering arrived, it is a slightly brighter white than the original roll, both are the same Oracover part number angry The wings and tail were covered with the first roll. The only place where the difference will show is the fin to tailplane join. I feel a different coloured strip coming on to separate them........ Did one side of the fuselage last night, will finish off the white covering tonight, then add the trim colours. New roll of covering arrived, it is a slightly brighter white than the original roll, both are the same Oracover part number. The wings and tail were covered with the first roll, the only place where the difference will show is the fin to tailplane join. I feel a different coloured strip coming on to separate them........

Thread: Drone delivery service, the shape of things to come?
31/05/2020 10:20:59

**LINK**

Thread: Different shades of white, Oracover (Profilm)
29/05/2020 22:05:32

As you say, annoying but i was going to put a different coloured stripe down the side, i will just make it a divider between the tailplane and the fin which is the only point where the two shades would meet.............

29/05/2020 05:42:51

I have managed to retrieve the plastic covering and labels from both rolls of film by digging in my hobby room bin and it appears that they are both the standard Profilm White number 10. That is disappointing as it means i am stuck with the issue, has anyone else had different shades on two rolls of the same material? I know house paint and wallpaper can vary from batch different batches. I will have to move the stripe that was going to go down the side so that it runs between where the two different shades meet..........

28/05/2020 21:47:22

Trying to get my 1/4 scale Cassutt finished, finally got my new roll of covering yesterday having waited over two weeks for it and it is the wrong shade of white...........ARRRGGGHHHH!

I know they do three different shades, i had an old part roll here plus one i got from my local shop which matched, it was their last roll and they are now on lockdown. I have covered the wing and tailplane with the original stuff and started on the fin tonight with the new roll but where it butts up to the tailplane it is obviously a much brighter white. The new white is the standard Oracover white, they also do a Pearl white and a scale white, i am sending samples of my two different ones to the shop in the hope they can get a better match..................M

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
27/05/2020 19:45:46

Big thanks to Steve & Janice at Cambrian Models, i`m building their 1/4 scale Cassutt Racer, it comes with mounts for i.c or electric, the electric mount was too long for my intended motor (Eflite 60). I emailed Steve with the size needed and he laser cut me a new motor mount box kit and had it in the post the following day. This is my second kit from them, always helpful with advice etc, another Great British company..............M

Thread: SLEC / Precedent 1/4 scale Stampe SV4B
26/05/2020 10:17:19

Interesting that you flew both makes of 1/4 scale Stampe Steve, what were your impressions of the two compared? How do they come out weight wise with one another?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!