By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for chris larkins

Here is a list of all the postings chris larkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
29/08/2020 19:27:16

Andy if you PM me with the original image that you are trying to cut I will see what I can do with the file & try it on my machine.

Which laser software are you using?

28/08/2020 21:47:13

Cut this wall sign out of 1/8 birch ply for our clubhouse a few weeks ago, the engraving was done in one pass and the cuts were multiple passes (can't remember how many but probably around a dozen or so)

dsc_1964.jpg

Thread: Focke Wolf Ta 154 Laser
02/08/2020 22:25:36

The amount of resin should equal the weight of the cloth, so if the cloth is 25g/m there should also be 25gm of resin.

Or in other words 25 g/m cloth should weigh 50 g/m inc resin, so 3 square metres in theory will weigh 150 grams.

The other alternative to resin would be the water based 1-part systems, such as Deluxe materials Eze kote. This probably won't dry as hard as resin but dries in about 20 mins which makes it a really quick process, brushes can be washed out in water too.

LINK

Thread: Vinyl cutter
27/07/2020 23:44:36

Here is what it looks like on the wing........ much more in keeping with the model

img-20200725-wa0002.jpg

24/07/2020 19:36:23

I was asked by a club member to cut some decals for a vintage glider using my Cameo Portrait cutter, unfortunately as the model was covered in solartex the glossy vinyl didn't look to good.

He then supplied me with an offcut of solartex and asked it I would be able to cut it out of this so that he could then iron it on, I agreed to try but I wasn't holding out much hope.

After much trial and error I managed to come up with a way of doing it without it all bunching up which was the main issue when cutting it, if anyone is interested I can share how I did it........... I'm sure that there are other ways too.

dsc_1994.jpg

Edited By chris larkins on 24/07/2020 19:36:57

Thread: Laser Engines development.
17/07/2020 21:53:34
Posted by chris larkins on 14/07/2020 20:43:55:

Put me down for a 30cc petrol, I live local (Luton) and have a Seagull Edge 540 that is currently fitted with a cheap and not very powerful or reliable 35cc petrol 2 stroke. A 30cc Laser petrol would go lovely in there and sound so much nicer.

I could also test it in a Hangar 9 Taylorcraft which has a noisy Zenoah 26cc petrol fitted

14/07/2020 20:43:55

Put me down for a 30cc petrol, I live local (Luton) and have a Seagull Edge 540 that is currently fitted with a cheap and not very powerful or reliable 35cc petrol 2 stroke. A 30cc Laser petrol would go lovely in there and sound so much nicer.

Thread: What glues do you use?
13/07/2020 21:03:57

It dries pretty hard although as with all 'PVA type' glues it is very slightly rubbery, saying that though it does seem to sand pretty well. I haven't timed how quickly it grabs but it is very quick compared to a normal white glue

Thread: Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"
13/07/2020 20:54:47

I'm really happy to see you back on the Apache, would love to build one of these.

I recently received a job lot of faux rotating beacons that I ordered on eBay (China), I'm more than happy to stick one in the post to you if you think that it would be of any use (it looks like the one on top of the fuselage).

They are fitted with a standard JR servo plug and run off receiver voltage and the speed / pattern is adjustable from the TX, the first speed is way too fast but the second speed looks pretty good.

LINK TO VIDEO OF BEACON

Thread: What glues do you use?
13/07/2020 20:18:06

During lockdown I needed some wood glue for a Peter Miller Ohmen build, Toolstation was open so I bought some Evo-Stick 'seriously strong stuff'. I am really happy with it, it grabs very quickly and when set is almost clear. As an added bonus as the bottle is bigger than the typical modelling glue bottles I have used it on several other projects around the house....... and still have loads left.

evostick.jpg

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
18/06/2020 22:25:18

A few more pics of Dick's lovely Gnat

gnat3.jpg

gnat2.jpg

gnat1.jpg

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
16/06/2020 23:02:02

Looking forward to you finishing the Apache build Danny, which hopefully will be next up cool

Thread: Silhouette vinyl cutter files sharing
30/12/2019 23:51:13

Not modelling related, but it continues to impress me how the cutter works. I just made this decal to stick on the wallet that contains my daughters car paperwork. Some of the lines are only about 1mm thick but it came out great.

fiat500.jpg

Thread: Which Laser cutter
16/12/2019 19:27:40

I upgraded my laser engraver with a new control board and a 15W laser module, details are on the other thread called 'cheap Chinese laser cutter'.

It will cut 3mm balsa in 1 pass, and 3mm birch ply in 3 passes, total cost with the upgrades which includes air assist was about £250, 650x500 bed area

Thread: Servo voltage question
16/11/2019 18:43:12

Use a 2s LiFe battery, less volatile than a LiPo and the voltage drops to 6.6v once it is off charge

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
08/11/2019 22:26:19

I bought a new controller which was £17.89 with free postage on Amazon, it turned up today and after swapping it over I have success. I did have to add a common ground as described above so the controller and new laser have their own power supply but after that it worked straight away.

The laser is quoted as being 15W, I know that this is impossible and is a wild Chinese claim and is more likely to be about 8W true, however the power increase is very noticeable. It cost me £76 for the new laser so total cost to upgrade with the new controller was £93

I did a test engraving on 3mm birch ply and I'm really happy with the result, I also did a cut and it took just 3 passes to get all the way through at 200mm/min, with my old laser it took over 40 passes in 3mm birch ply.

YouTube link

06/11/2019 17:41:00

I am having trouble connecting my new laser and getting it to work correctly. My control board used 2 wires to connect to the old laser and this worked well & switched the laser on/off as required and fired it up in test mode.

I can't get the new laser working correctly, it is always on unless I hit the reduced power button, I have tried various combinations using the 2 wires from the control board, the nearest I have come to getting it working is in reverse i.e the laser is on when stationary but switches off when it is moving and should be cutting.

Can anyone help?

the bottom 2 pictures are the separate driver board that came with the laser.

control board.jpg

connections.jpg

driver board.jpg

Edited By chris larkins on 06/11/2019 17:44:44

06/11/2019 17:32:32

It was £21 inc p&p from eBay so not too bad

06/11/2019 17:03:34

Well my air pump has finally arrived, it is rated at 35 litres per minute. I made up a bent brass tube which directs the air straight at the cut.

pipe.jpg

pump.jpg

05/11/2019 18:05:29

I have finally got around to making the lid for my enclosure, it's made from 5mm foamboard glued with UHU POR and reinforced with white gaffer tape. The window is A3 sized 3mm tinted acrylic. I have tried it and it completely contains the burning smell and the extractor fan vents this outside, happy that making the enclosure was worth it.

I am still waiting for my air pump to arrive, I'm hoping that this will make the cuts much cleaner.

I have also purchased a more powerful laser module which will hopefully be more suited to cutting, just got to figure out how to hook it up as it has different connections, as usual with Chinese stuff there are no instructions either.....

lid.jpg

window.jpg

laser.jpg

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!