By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for chris larkins

Here is a list of all the postings chris larkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hobbyking Cri-Cri build 1778mm
13/03/2018 03:32:33

dsc_0148.jpgdsc_0149.jpgdsc_0147.jpgI have started again on this build after looooooong break, I'm determined to get it finished this time. I have started with a quick weight saving measure on the pilot, not much but every little helps. With a full base he weighed 184g but a quick pass with a blade to reduce the plastic on the base and he now weighs 168g, I left enough plastic to put a screw on each side to hold him in place.dsc_0146.jpg

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
07/03/2018 20:50:49

20171122_194747_001.jpgAnd a simple saddle clamp, the first thing I designed and printed

07/03/2018 20:48:34

dsc_0145.jpg1/3 scale venturi for my Precedent Turbulent, designed by my clubmate Martin on Tinkercad.

Thread: Twin Otter - Electric Twin from Anton Eisele Plan
14/02/2018 06:28:50

Following your build with interest as I have a soft spot for the Twin Otter, in fact I have an ARTF in a box in the loft which is getting nearer to the top of the build list (ESM, 65" span).

With regard to the covering have you ever tried the Hobbyking film? It is far cheaper than Oracover or Profilm and in my opinion is equal in quality and is easy to apply, I believe most of the Far East ARTF's use this film, only £8.13 for a 5m roll.

**LINK**

Thread: Lipo and LiFePO4 - resting voltage following charge
20/01/2018 00:21:05

One thing that surprised me (it has also being discussed in another thread) is just how little it seems to take to recharge a LiFe pack as opposed to the usual Nicad or Nimh pack, it may be due to the higher voltage. For instance I have a LiFe pack in a model which has 8 servos, I was worried at the beginning about the difficulty in judging the state of charge by voltage alone, however after a 10 min flight it is rare to put back more than 80 mah into the battery, at this rate I could have about 30 flights on my 2500 mah pack. I have since measured this on other models and in all cases the current used for each flight is surprisingly low. In addition even after sitting for several months they remain full.

Thread: IDENTIFICATION please
20/12/2017 18:46:55
Here is another video of the same model on Youtube, quality isn't great though.
Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
15/12/2017 01:17:21

This is my CM Pro P-26 Peashooter, powered by a Laser 100

20160721_160603 (1).jpg

14/12/2017 22:48:17

This is my Blackhorse Chipmunk, powered by an early Laser 70....... runs sweetly and sounds amazing.

resize_chippie__copy.jpg

Thread: ESC problem-Durafly Vampire V2
03/12/2017 08:27:04

Just a quick thought. Have you got the throttle cut set using the default -130% ?

Try going into the throttle cut settings and reducing it first to -120%....... then rebind with the throttle cut switch in the motor on position. If this doesn't work try the process again at -110%.

Don't ask me why but this has worked for me and others before.

Thread: Facebook Cover Competition
16/10/2017 21:56:34

2 pics of my Staufenbiel F4-U Corsair, flown by one of my clubmates so that I could get some 'in the can'

dsc05630.jpg

dsc05649.jpg

Thread: Help with youtube problem
11/09/2017 01:09:06

Try going to 'my channel', to the right hand side under your picture there should be a blue button which says 'edit layout'.

click on this button as this allows you to set what content is displayed on your home page, you can edit what is shown for new visitors or returning subscribers separately.

towards the bottom there should be another button which says 'add a section', this will bring up a drop down box which says select content, click on the drop down and select 'uploads' and leave the next drop down box set to horizontal row. then click save

This should then show your uploads on your home page, you can add further rows of videos such as liked videos, playlists, subscriptions etc.

If you have any issues let me know and I can post some screenshots

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
10/09/2017 13:24:34

Looks like a great project!

I saw the following video on youtube, I know this model is a bit bigger but this looks great in the air

Thread: What's flying over your house
29/08/2017 15:53:07

Not over my house, but I was shopping in Erfurt (Germany) last month and this flew over whilst I was walking down the high street. It's a JU-52, I quickly got my phone out and managed to snap it just before it disappeared out of view.

20170710_151437.jpg

20170829_154245.jpg

Thread: noise restrictions
29/08/2017 11:19:53

The BMFA recommendation is that

"Except for competitive flying as described in c.(i) and c.(ii) below, no model should be operated which gives a noise measurement at 7 metres of more than 82 dB(A). 2

This is based on the DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT CODE OF PRACTICE FOR THE MINIMISATION OF NOISE FROM MODEL AIRCRAFT.

In practice with thought given to the use of an effective silencer and careful prop selection most models should be capable of coming in at 82db or lower. The biggest engine (to my knowledge) that is regularly operated at our club is a Zenoah 62cc petrol, this has an aftermarket silencer which enables the 82db limit at our club to be met.

I have an MLD 35cc petrol which I was able to get within the limit by using a canister and Biela carbon prop, another model at our club has a DLE 30cc petrol which has a custom made exhaust by Just engines which meets the 82db limit.

Most common glow engines are able to meet the limit, sometimes by using a slightly larger diameter prop, the manifold that is supplied with most petrol engines offers very little if any silencing and more pressure should be applied to manufacturers to take their responsibility for the hobby more seriously.

Thread: Unwelcome Visitors
01/06/2017 21:53:14

A couple of weeks ago we had a large swarm of bees make their home outside our clubhouse, there was a small hole in the fascia that has been used by a blue tit's for several years but the bees took over this year! The majority of the bees were collected by a beekeeper however the queen was inside the roof space and had to be removed!

swarm.jpg

beekeeper.jpg

into the box.jpg

Thread: twin engine model thread
08/05/2017 01:02:17

A club mate flew his Harmony twin last week, powered by 2 x O.S LA 40's, pics below

dsc06580.jpg

dsc06609.jpg

Thread: 65% pitts challenger has flown
07/05/2017 23:50:43

82db ? wink

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
11/04/2017 10:17:38

I took these pictures recently, a clubmate's e-flite T-28

t28a.jpg

t28b.jpg

t28d.jpg

t28c.jpg

Thread: NIMH or SBEC and lipo for ic?
22/03/2017 22:47:28

I have used a 2s LiFe in the last 5 I.C models that I have put together, unless I really have an issue with nose weight I will always use these in the future. For their size they offer a really good compromise between weight/capacity and of course offer the benefit of a higher voltage for increased servo speed/torque and are actually cheaper than a "good quality" 4.8v NiMh of similar capacity, they also hold their charge for months. Hobbyking sell a 2s LiFe which they market as a transmitter battery however it is perfect for use as a receiver pack as it is fitted with a standard JR plug **LINK** .........just make sure your charger is LiFe compatible !!

I bought a second hand model that is also fitted with 3003's and I have used the LiFe pack with no voltage issues whatsoever, however as Martin mentioned in an earlier post fitting a diode similar to this one **LINK** inline in the positive wire of the switched side of the RX switch will drop the voltage to approx. 5.9v

Unlike a LiPo there is no risk of the battery catching fire during charging so they can be safely charged in the model, you may just need to fit a balance extension lead so that you can balance charge if the battery is not easily removable. There is no need to use a separate SBEC or UBEC.

Edited By chris larkins on 22/03/2017 22:49:16

Thread: CMPRO Mitsubishi Zero engine thrust settings
05/03/2017 21:18:02

Any update on this model? Have you flown it? I have one of these in a box and it may be next in line when the building board is free

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us