By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Silver Wolf

Here is a list of all the postings Silver Wolf has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
10/02/2016 11:48:06

Are you sure you've been working from the same plan as the rest of us?

Just shows what can be done

Thank you once again for all the work and the time commitment that you give the rest of us with your blog.

Thank you

SW

Thread: Chips with everything
07/02/2016 20:46:19

Looking very neat Nev.

Keep up the good work.

SW

Thread: Flair Legionnaire
26/01/2016 13:16:08

Mines covered in silver solartex, as mention above does tend to bruise, however this adds little to general used look rather than showroom pristine look. Would not worry about weight of solar covering, flies just great with OS 40 4c, also glides very well.

Take offs do require a little care but no need for gyro, it did not like rolling to the left at all. But during trimming flights it was found that it needed quite a bit of side thrust, this helped with the roll and I'm sure it as also helped with take offs.

Did not have any enthusiasm for the model as initially did not like the look of it. However when I got offered the kit for £30 I couldn't turn it down.

Since finishing and flying it, it has got to be the model that I most enjoy flying, tends to get noticed possibly due to not being an ARTF?

SW

Thread: Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.
10/01/2016 14:13:21

Hi Colin,

I used this for the bush, ordered from Chronos

MBT19 Albion Alloys Brass Micro 1 £5.04 £5.04
Tube Round 1.9 mm OD x 1.7 mm
ID x 0.1 Wall - Pack of 3

bushed hinge.jpg

Hope this helps

Regards

SW

Thread: Chips with everything
04/01/2016 20:05:55

Looking good, will be awhile until I get to that stage, I will be pleased if it looks that good.

SW

Thread: Silver Wolf's Chipper-too
03/01/2016 19:55:12

Made a start on flaps, with no fixed for location for the position decided to make jig for bottom wing surface.

wing jig rear view.jpg

It also helps clearing the under carriage legs for work bench.

wing jig3_4.jpg

Bell cranks fitted, both hopefully at the same angle!

rh flap bc close up.jpg

flap bellcranks.jpg

Formed the first z bend for flaps, first time this has happened when cold bending.

cold bend.jpg

I have annealed the wire and it as formed as per expectations, will harden and temper once finished. Brings back memories of been an apprentice in the mid seventies.

SW

Thread: John's Ballerina Build
31/12/2015 19:32:05

Hope you've finished that chippy, or have you had permission of Danny embarrassed

SW

31/12/2015 19:07:41

Thanks Nev & Andy, the good news is that both left & right flap/ailerons are the same (well very nearly).

Looking down the length of the wing the washout does appear to be noticeable, if that was designed that way, then a clever bit of design.

wing_flap_aileron.jpg

Really seem to be struggling to get into any building, doesn't help having some other hobbies!

rh flap.jpg

Will start getting the flap linkage done next, should be interesting as I have never had a model with flaps before.

Really will try to get these done in the next week as I will not be able to get into loft after next week for a while.

Wishing everyone a happy New Year party

Especially those up north

SW

Thread: Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.
24/12/2015 19:20:22

Colin, would you be able post a few details of your covering when you get to that stage? I am considering using brown paper and silk on a WW1 project but never used this method as covering.

That is if I ever get to finish the chippy.

Kind Regards

SW

23/12/2015 20:31:24

You'll be starting them rivets soon !!!

At the rate I'm going should be able to put it off for a year or so.

Looks like you will start covering soon?

Keep it going and have a good Christmas

SW

04/12/2015 10:52:28

Hi Andy,

What did you do with them in the end?

SW

03/12/2015 13:44:49

Made a start on flap/ailerons, managed to source some brass tube of correct size. Cut tube with Stanley knife after sliding over some 16swg piano wire.

cutting bushes.jpg

Drilled out horns and hinges with 1.9mm drill then spot of thin cyno.

bushed hinge.jpg

Decided to build the flap and aileron as one! thought that would help with keeping everything aligned for fitting hinges?

flap_aileron.jpg

However even though it was built flat and pinned to the board we still managed to build in some washout (warped).

aileron tip te.jpg

flap root te.jpg

Possibly due to the change in leading edge angle?

change in le angle.jpg

Will build left hand side and see where we are at.

Thread: Laptop for profly sim & Turbo CAD
28/11/2015 17:35:37

Not sure if this model is touch screen but the Graphics card is a AMD Radeon™ R5 M335 4GB D

28/11/2015 13:04:03

Had thought about an apple but cost + small screen seems to rule it out.

I am considering the Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series with intel 7 and 8GM memory.

SW

28/11/2015 10:04:15

I will be looking to replace my old desktop with a laptop in the near future.

I would like to be able to run the profly 7 RC flight sim and start to use turbo CAD. Would be grateful if any one has experience or comments on what might be suitable.

Regards

SW

22/11/2015 22:00:26

Started on Centre section and noticed that 1/4” balsa parts that we have to cut were not at 90°, so modified to suit also needed to add 1/16” to B3.

001.jpg

Marked the centre of B4 and added the two 1/4” TE extensions, whilst checking the fit noticed that there seems to be a slight misalignment with the two R1 ribs. So I measured and marked the centre of LE & TE. With these and the centre of B4 marked, this ensured that the TE of the centre section is correct and should make wing alignment to front and rear of fuselage less fraught.

centre section 002.jpg

centre section 001.jpg

Decided to have a hard wood block with a balsa top section for wing bolt and have used a bit of triangle stock on the TE as this seemed a high stress area with B4

centre section 003.jpg

centre section 004.jpg

Triangle stock to reduce high stress area

centre section 005.jpg

Ready for sheeting, will leave LE sheeting until wing fixing determinedcentre section 006.jpg

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
21/11/2015 13:13:04

I would want a petrol suitable for Mick Reeves 1/3 scale pup/camel and his 1.45 Hurricane.

Regards

SW

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
14/11/2015 11:41:04

Although the finish and fidelity of the scale detail that you have achieved is beyond many of our skills set. I think that the information that you have shown and shared throughout this build blog, will enable many people to improve their building and finishing.

Just like to say thanks for the time and effort that you have put into these pages, I for one know that you have enabled me to improve my building skills and am looking forward to getting a reasonable scale model. Not sure when, still building the wing

But your blog has helped keep the enthusiasm going and is an invaluable source of reference without which I would have certainly struggled with some parts of the build.

Are you sure you've done all the rivets?

Many thanks

SW

08/11/2015 19:24:50

Its been a while since anybuilding on the chippy has been done. Although I am pleased to say that I have managed to start flying on regular basis (weather permitting). This has meant quite a lot of small jobs on old airframes to get them airworthy not to mention getting engines to run. Spent an awful lot of time getting some 4c to run, but we got there in the end.

Have maiden the legionnaire, must say the more I fly the more I enjoy it.leogionaire 011.jpg

Slight deviation from the plan with regards the undercarriage. I have made P clips from brass and bushed the hard wood block with some brass tube

pre fit uc blocks.jpg

I mentioned in an earlier post that slight warp in one of the panels. I have since damped the panel and re-pinned flat to the board and it is within 1.5mm, so very pleased. I was a little nervous as the glue is not water proof and on another project found out that the wood only as to be damp!!!

fitted uc blocks 001.jpg

Wing now ready for sheeting, the addition of the support blocks certainly helped to give some rigidity to the wing to allow sheeting (as per Danny' instructions)

wing ready for underside sheeting.jpg

Hope to get the wing sheeted and centre section done by the end of the month. Then it will be flaps and ailerons next.

A little way behind some (well a lot) but still going.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:26:57

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:27:26

Thread: Dawn Patrol WW1 air to air
22/09/2015 10:37:24

Absolutely brilliant, the choice of music was spot on. It gave the flight an emotional feel, you get a feeling for what it must have felt to fly in that period.

What a fitting tribute to the men that flew in WW1.

SW

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!