By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Silver Wolf

Here is a list of all the postings Silver Wolf has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: John's Ballerina Build
31/12/2015 19:32:05

Hope you've finished that chippy, or have you had permission of Danny embarrassed

SW

Thread: Silver Wolf's Chipper-too
31/12/2015 19:07:41

Thanks Nev & Andy, the good news is that both left & right flap/ailerons are the same (well very nearly).

Looking down the length of the wing the washout does appear to be noticeable, if that was designed that way, then a clever bit of design.

wing_flap_aileron.jpg

Really seem to be struggling to get into any building, doesn't help having some other hobbies!

rh flap.jpg

Will start getting the flap linkage done next, should be interesting as I have never had a model with flaps before.

Really will try to get these done in the next week as I will not be able to get into loft after next week for a while.

Wishing everyone a happy New Year party

Especially those up north

SW

Thread: Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.
24/12/2015 19:20:22

Colin, would you be able post a few details of your covering when you get to that stage? I am considering using brown paper and silk on a WW1 project but never used this method as covering.

That is if I ever get to finish the chippy.

Kind Regards

SW

23/12/2015 20:31:24

You'll be starting them rivets soon !!!

At the rate I'm going should be able to put it off for a year or so.

Looks like you will start covering soon?

Keep it going and have a good Christmas

SW

04/12/2015 10:52:28

Hi Andy,

What did you do with them in the end?

SW

03/12/2015 13:44:49

Made a start on flap/ailerons, managed to source some brass tube of correct size. Cut tube with Stanley knife after sliding over some 16swg piano wire.

cutting bushes.jpg

Drilled out horns and hinges with 1.9mm drill then spot of thin cyno.

bushed hinge.jpg

Decided to build the flap and aileron as one! thought that would help with keeping everything aligned for fitting hinges?

flap_aileron.jpg

However even though it was built flat and pinned to the board we still managed to build in some washout (warped).

aileron tip te.jpg

flap root te.jpg

Possibly due to the change in leading edge angle?

change in le angle.jpg

Will build left hand side and see where we are at.

Thread: Laptop for profly sim & Turbo CAD
28/11/2015 17:35:37

Not sure if this model is touch screen but the Graphics card is a AMD Radeon™ R5 M335 4GB D

28/11/2015 13:04:03

Had thought about an apple but cost + small screen seems to rule it out.

I am considering the Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series with intel 7 and 8GM memory.

SW

28/11/2015 10:04:15

I will be looking to replace my old desktop with a laptop in the near future.

I would like to be able to run the profly 7 RC flight sim and start to use turbo CAD. Would be grateful if any one has experience or comments on what might be suitable.

Regards

SW

22/11/2015 22:00:26

Started on Centre section and noticed that 1/4” balsa parts that we have to cut were not at 90°, so modified to suit also needed to add 1/16” to B3.

001.jpg

Marked the centre of B4 and added the two 1/4” TE extensions, whilst checking the fit noticed that there seems to be a slight misalignment with the two R1 ribs. So I measured and marked the centre of LE & TE. With these and the centre of B4 marked, this ensured that the TE of the centre section is correct and should make wing alignment to front and rear of fuselage less fraught.

centre section 002.jpg

centre section 001.jpg

Decided to have a hard wood block with a balsa top section for wing bolt and have used a bit of triangle stock on the TE as this seemed a high stress area with B4

centre section 003.jpg

centre section 004.jpg

Triangle stock to reduce high stress area

centre section 005.jpg

Ready for sheeting, will leave LE sheeting until wing fixing determinedcentre section 006.jpg

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
21/11/2015 13:13:04

I would want a petrol suitable for Mick Reeves 1/3 scale pup/camel and his 1.45 Hurricane.

Regards

SW

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
14/11/2015 11:41:04

Although the finish and fidelity of the scale detail that you have achieved is beyond many of our skills set. I think that the information that you have shown and shared throughout this build blog, will enable many people to improve their building and finishing.

Just like to say thanks for the time and effort that you have put into these pages, I for one know that you have enabled me to improve my building skills and am looking forward to getting a reasonable scale model. Not sure when, still building the wing

But your blog has helped keep the enthusiasm going and is an invaluable source of reference without which I would have certainly struggled with some parts of the build.

Are you sure you've done all the rivets?

Many thanks

SW

08/11/2015 19:24:50

Its been a while since anybuilding on the chippy has been done. Although I am pleased to say that I have managed to start flying on regular basis (weather permitting). This has meant quite a lot of small jobs on old airframes to get them airworthy not to mention getting engines to run. Spent an awful lot of time getting some 4c to run, but we got there in the end.

Have maiden the legionnaire, must say the more I fly the more I enjoy it.leogionaire 011.jpg

Slight deviation from the plan with regards the undercarriage. I have made P clips from brass and bushed the hard wood block with some brass tube

pre fit uc blocks.jpg

I mentioned in an earlier post that slight warp in one of the panels. I have since damped the panel and re-pinned flat to the board and it is within 1.5mm, so very pleased. I was a little nervous as the glue is not water proof and on another project found out that the wood only as to be damp!!!

fitted uc blocks 001.jpg

Wing now ready for sheeting, the addition of the support blocks certainly helped to give some rigidity to the wing to allow sheeting (as per Danny' instructions)

wing ready for underside sheeting.jpg

Hope to get the wing sheeted and centre section done by the end of the month. Then it will be flaps and ailerons next.

A little way behind some (well a lot) but still going.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:26:57

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:27:26

Thread: Dawn Patrol WW1 air to air
22/09/2015 10:37:24

Absolutely brilliant, the choice of music was spot on. It gave the flight an emotional feel, you get a feeling for what it must have felt to fly in that period.

What a fitting tribute to the men that flew in WW1.

SW

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
29/08/2015 10:20:54

Its unbelievable the lengths that people will go to not to fly a new model .devil

Please to hear that everyone is ok.

Thread: Hitec Aurora 9
19/08/2015 21:09:05

Hi Victor,

Had a similar problem with my current TX (ff9) which was 35Mhz Futaba could not find a fault but changed the module as a precaution. No further problems have been encountered. Still use the ff9 but with a hitec/futabe 2.4 module as I hope to get an aurora 9 some time in the future.

Regards

SW

Thread: This Chip-monk will be praying for help
19/08/2015 20:39:22

All the best with the move.

With the amount of building experience (or lack of) that you had at the start. I think that you have done a remarkable job so far.

Please box what you have built and wait for the mojo to return.

SW

Hope to restart my build soon and I have yet to finish the wings.

Thread: Chip Shop
15/05/2015 17:13:02

Not sure where all the time has gone, although been busy getting a lot of little jobs out of the way. None of them model related, still have got to the stage where most of my free time is available to hobbies.

Have now started to fly regular (weather permitting), so a few maintenance jobs on some airframes, legionnaire to fit radio and test run engine. May assemble an artf and get ready an acrowot.

Once I start building the chippy again I hope to make better progress.

SW

07/04/2015 16:03:01

Colin, it would appear that it is only in one panel, but it is only a small amount 2 or 3 mm. May try and correct when I sheet underside. Pretty sure that a little bit of trim on test flight should sought it out asking as rest of airframe is true.

07/04/2015 13:28:39

Thanks for the heads up. I will make legs as per plan and adjust where needed. More than likely to post photo before final install, as once the sheeting is added then a lot of work to try and rectify any problems.

Does any see any problem with leaving the little bit of offset in the wing build mentioned earlier in blog? personally think that it should not affect general flying overall to much, as not expecting to do any precision aerobatics.

SW

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us