By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hogster

Here is a list of all the postings Hogster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Happy Birthday, David!
13/06/2013 19:33:38

Happy birthday to you both. cake Are we having a party? party cheeky

Thread: Just Engines JEN range
08/06/2013 22:21:31

I have had a Jen'57 for about 18mths now . The transition through mid throttle is a bit lumpy but apart from that it has proved very reliable and very powerful. I did add a shim as JEN suggest if you use 10% nitro. I have it installed in my most popular model so it gets plenty of use and I have been very happy with it so far.

Thread: 19ft B17 Flying fortress
07/06/2013 21:38:04

That is an impressive model. Thanks for sharing.

Thread: Removing old fuel stains
11/05/2013 07:46:41

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll let you know how I get on. thumbs up

10/05/2013 11:28:56

I have a previously loved model which is only spoilt by the fuel stains on the airframe. The covering is painted solartex and the stains are very well established. I will probably repaint the model but I would like to remove as much of the oily stains as possible before I do. I have tried meths and a general surface cleaner but with little effect. I would be grateful for any suggestions that I could try.

Thread: Hurrah! Spring's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?
05/05/2013 21:08:26

Finaly had my Blackhorse Gilmore ready for its maiden. These events allways seem to be more nerve wrecking than they actually turn out to be. Thank goodness surprise Still, mustn't get complacent.

Thread: Alternative to soldering
28/04/2013 19:32:58

Thanks for the info. I'm ok with soldering, in fact job is done. I was just curious as I thought epoxy would be plenty tough enough.

27/04/2013 11:28:05

Thanks for the advice. Soldering it is then. yes

27/04/2013 10:48:35

Thanks for the quick reply Pat. Care to elaborate?

27/04/2013 10:22:09

Hi Guys,

When securing a brace to an undercarriage leg and wire wrapping the joint as you might do for soldering, would using epoxy adhesive be an adequate alternative to solder?

Thread: Colin Hammond
25/04/2013 18:16:56

I didn't know Colin but the fact he was thought so highly off tells me I would have liked to. I would like to add my condolences to his family and friends.

Thread: Wood for wing struts
13/04/2013 18:56:44

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get myself some spruce then. thumbs up

13/04/2013 14:38:28

Hi all, have aquired a tiger moth which looks to me to be a scratch build and its quite old. It is in need of some tlc and one of the items that needs replacing is a couple of the wing struts. Thing is I`m not sure which wood to use. The current ones seem to me to be a bit harder than normal balsa. The struts have a threaded rod running through them with a a clevis at each end for adjustment so I guess this supports any loading.

Advice as always greatly appreciated.

Thread: Faulty 617FS rx?
12/04/2013 10:36:28

I sent a Futaba RX to their service centre for testing following a crash. It cost about £15.00 I think and it turned out to be fine. I thought it was a small price to pay for peace of mind though.

Thread: Cross WInds
11/04/2013 14:44:51

Sounds good to me Steve yes

11/04/2013 13:36:08

I wish I knew what you guys were on about frown At the beggining of the thread I was following it now I'm baffled (easily done I know) Are you describing slide slipping during a landing approach?

Thread: More computer confusion.
01/04/2013 18:44:02
Posted by Chris P. Bacon on 01/04/2013 15:41:27:

The problem is that the manufacturers website is 'under construction'. And they don't reply to emails.

I have tried to download a driver from the German site that may or may not be for my scanner, (3600) but when I have downloaded it, it is labelled as the 1800 version which is why I have given up.

It appears that the 3600 and 1800 refer to the dpi. Its highly probable that the software is the same for both. You just have to be sure that you have the right version for your OS and CPU. Example Windows 7, 32 bit.

01/04/2013 13:05:46

Hi Chris,

Here is what I'd do. Firstly remove all previous related scanner software from your computer. Download a fresh copy from the manufacturers website. Make sure you download the correct version for your OS and processor. Make sure your scanner is disconnected from your computer and start the install. You may get a message to connect the scanner during the setup, if not connect scanner after the install and after a few seconds the device should be recognised. If not you may have a faulty scanner.

Best of luck.

Thread: Does your club allow you to fly alone?
22/03/2013 15:08:26

My club uses a public site and we do not have a no lone flying rule thank goodness. I`ve often been the only one to turn up and it would be a wasted journey if I couldn't fly. When I am alone I do say to myself " your on your own so don't do anything stupid" and so far thats worked wink .

I would be interested to know if anyone has knowledge of someone collapsing or similar instances that have occured whilst flying. As this is the only reason I can envisage this rule being applied as it may endanger others. This scenario was brought up by some of my club members last year as a reason to not allow mix mode flying. Example if a mode 2 flyer was suddenly taken ill then a mode 1 flyer would not be able to take control of their model. It was never adopted. Those who have been flying for decades had never witnessed a flyer succumb in such a way. If you tried to cover every eventuality you'd never take off!

If the danger is just to yourself then thats up to the individual to assess the risk IMHO.

Edited By Hogster on 22/03/2013 15:09:46

Thread: A pitch too far
10/03/2013 18:06:25

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Plenty of food for thought. I understand the theory but there is nothing like seeing how it works out in a practice. wink

The engine is well used and is not at its best and, even with a 12x4, it never seemed to able to reach maximum revs.

The manual states anything from a 12x7 to 14x6. So given the issues with slowing down for landings what size prop would you guys suggest?

Edited By Hogster on 10/03/2013 18:07:03

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us