By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hogster

Here is a list of all the postings Hogster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A pitch too far
10/03/2013 08:57:35

I have always had a problem with my Seagull T6 when it comes to landing. Slowing it down for landing requires a very long final approach and throttling back on the down wind leg. Its fitted with a SC70fs turning a 12X7 prop. It cruises at hafl throttle nicely. I thought I would try reducing the prop pitch to help slow the model down quicker for landing. Well, the choice I had to hand was a 12x6 or 12x4. I thought the 12x6 wouldn't make much of a difference so opted for the 12x4.

The change was quite dramatic. I needed pretty much full throttle for general flight and drop in speed when I reduced the throttle was surprising. My first landing was well short and my on my second landing I was too slow and tip stalled at about 2 foot high.

I got away with minimal damage and gained valuable experience in the effects that prop pitch has on a model. Needless to say I have changed the prop to the 12x6 and depending on how that works may venture to trying a 12x5.

Thread: Weekend Giveaway
01/03/2013 17:46:50

Yes please, I love a freebie smile

Thread: did this really happen?
18/02/2013 13:27:58

If you google the poor girls name you will get a link to her tribute page. It was 2003 when she was killed. I think the Mail is behaving shamefully in publishing it again. What would her family and friends think. If its actually in todays paper I think using their tragic story to fill a few column inches a decade later is disgraceful ! Even if its just on the website it shows a complete lack of respect.

Edited By Hogster on 18/02/2013 13:31:12

Thread: Ebay sellers...
17/02/2013 17:41:47

He seems to be getting a bit upset with some of the offers he has been getting. It is a strange thing to sell on ebay IMHO. It has a very limited market and I would have thought a more targetted approach would have been better.

Thread: Finally!
16/02/2013 19:47:20

Well done Dylan. It's a great achievement yes

Thread: Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?
16/02/2013 19:45:21

We had as many members today as we usually get on a sunny summers day. The weather played ball although the wind swung round to the SE and felt a little chilly later in the afternoon.

Whilst cleaning down the model after I noticed that the canopy had come unstuck and was only held in place down one side with just a thin piece of tape. I don`t know when it got like that but I was lucky it didn`t come adrift in flight.

Thread: Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma
16/02/2013 17:25:47

According to Aeroplane magazine, because the backers wanted to make things look good for the TV documentary they have not been digging in the right place. The experts believe the best place to dig is, iirc, a few hundreds yard away. So I think there is some more twist and turns in this saga yet.

Thread: Waiting to maiden?
16/02/2013 17:20:10

I have a Blackhorse Gilmore waiting for its maiden. Its actually been waiting for about 4 months. But given that its, well documented, weakness is the U/C I`m waiting for the ground to level out a bit at our patch before its maiden. Which I will do myself whilst wearing bicycle clips! face 7

Thread: Spectrum to Futaba buddy lead
09/02/2013 21:18:33

Very observant BEB. In that case we need one of these smiley

09/02/2013 19:15:00

Hi all,

We have new member who has a spektrum Tx. Most of our instructors use futaba Tx. Someone has suggested this futaba to spektrum buddy lead. Has anyone used one?

Thread: Whats your favourite part of our superb hobby?
20/01/2013 15:23:56

I`m still new enough to flying that I still get a big buzz out of just flying. I still get a little nervy before the first take off of the day. I get great satisfaction when I get the model exactly where I want it to be. And ending a flight with a good landing is very pleasing.

The banter has been mentioned by others, and its no different at my club. I never laugh so much as when I`m out flying. laugh We have an area chief examiner in our club and he visits a lot of clubs and he reckons the banter he comes across is like no other sport or hobby. We seem to be a very happy bunch. cool

Thread: Who's Brave Enough??
19/01/2013 21:06:39

Kitted out my travelair for the snow.

travelairwithskis.jpg

But when I got to our flying site there wasn`t enough snow surprise

Thread: Cold weather storage
18/01/2013 15:55:25
Posted by Tim Hooper on 18/01/2013 13:50:49:
Posted by Hogster on 18/01/2013 08:42:10:

I`ve started using a greenhouse heater in an effort to keep the cold and damp at bay.

If that's an old fashioned gas or parafin heater, then it might well make more condensation than ever!

tim

No Tim its a modern electric one wink

Thread: Who's Brave Enough??
18/01/2013 09:10:52

I`m hoping to get out over the weekend. And if there is snow on the ground even better. I can try out my new skis: on the model not myself wink

Thread: Condensation in an outside garage
18/01/2013 09:08:26

I had a similar roof on my garage. I had it replaced with a timber/felt roof last year. Cost about £1200 for a 9ftx20ft garage IIRC. Cured the condensation and gave me something I could hang stuff on smiley

Thread: Cold weather storage
18/01/2013 08:42:10

I store my models in a brick built garage which also doubles as my workshop. Now with temperatures well below freezing I`ve started using a greenhouse heater in an effort to keep the cold and damp at bay. I have also brought my Tx indoors as an extra precaution.

I`d be interested to know if others take any special precautions during the winter months.

Thread: Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma
18/01/2013 08:31:45

That would be a great shame The discovery of these spitfires is one of the most anticipated events of the year as far as I`m concerned. Whatever happend to the crate they said they discovered last week?

Thread: The ski's the limit!
14/01/2013 14:45:10

I bought some skis last october ready for the snow. I`ll be fitting them this week hoping that the snow lasts until the weekend indecision

Thread: Who makes the best 4-stroke engine?
11/01/2013 16:47:30

I think we should have a poll. What make of 4 stroke do you use mostly? Over to you Mr Ashby dont know

Thread: 20 Spitfires found in Burma
09/01/2013 17:19:25

I wouldn`t expect them to be in anywhere near good condition. The best we can hope for is that the damage is such that restoration to flying condition is a viable option. But as Erflolg says, we`ll just have to wait.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us