By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Balaam

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Balaam has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Switching Brand
20/06/2019 09:28:12

Take a look at the Jumper T16 or FRSky X10s . Both have OpenTX the Jumper has a MultiProtocol RF capability

so you may be able to use your existing RXs. MultiProtocol RF units are available to fit the FRsky TXs and other TXs that have a JR style plug in RF module.

Thread: Petrol engine cutting out on take-off
24/05/2019 16:42:54

I had a very similar problem, I found the carb air intake airflow was being restricted by the cowl. I cut a hole in the cowl to allow the air in and the engine ran fine after that.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
22/05/2019 19:49:40

I had to leave a club a couple of years ago because the so called Safety Officer took joy in telling others what to do whilst being the worst offender of safety rules himself. Give some people a little bit of authority and it gets abused.

Thread: Poll for who intends to register.
18/05/2019 12:02:24

I've been fed up with the way the hobbies going for a number of years now. This is the final nail in the coffin. I'm

packing the hobby in.

Thread: Taranis 9 channel
13/05/2019 13:21:21

I have a new IRange IRX4 Plus 2.4Ghz Multiprotocol Tx Unit for sale if your interested.

Steve B

Thread: Holding screws in
24/04/2019 16:10:48

I used to have this problem until I changed to plastic screws similar material to wing retention bolts .

The plastic screw thread expands a little as you screw it in and provides a solid hold, never had a problem since.

Steve B

Thread: Bills Kits Mirage 2000
26/02/2019 18:37:51

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

I have discounted the EDF option, it would need a 90mm size unit and I would have to cut some large cheater holes to get sufficient air in.

The Turnigy motor looks promising, I have considered putting the motor in the nose which may lead to problems getting the CG correct but may be a solution.

My thoughts at the moment are to leave the fixed undercarriage off the plane and bungy launch and belly land the plane, if I can source some pusher folding props of the correct diameter perhaps that may be the way to go.

26/02/2019 14:45:36

My next build is to be a Bills kit Mirage 2000, originally designed for a 46 to 60 size nitro pusher. I would like to electrify it but am struggling to find a suitable brushless motor, could I ask if anyone could suggest a suitable motor. I'm hoping to get the flying weight to be sub 8 Lbs and am limited to a prop diameter of max 10". I have a liPo choice of 4,6 or 8S. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve B

Thread: Latent Servo Response
11/01/2019 12:22:36

I would check my flight battery. As the battery starts to get to minimum under load the servo's will slow down before stopping altogether when the battery fails. I've had this a number of times over the years.

Thread: Best practice
30/12/2018 19:21:34

I've gone over to using threaded inserts available from Modelfixings starting from 4mm thread size.

I wouldn't use anything else now

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
02/12/2018 14:12:06

The TN Sabre is next on my building list. There has been a lot of discussion about getting sufficient air in to the fan,

I'm going to use Naca ducts on mine, what are the tell tale signs on the ground that the edf is not getting sufficient air and is being choked ?

Thread: How to fill a TE / aileron gap ?
01/12/2018 15:48:11

I always seal or even hinge all my control surfaces with Oracover/Profilm clear

Works a treat

Thread: Broken spark plug cap - options?
03/11/2018 10:09:52

Hi Rich

Try a tinternet search should be something on Youtube.

I found this on RCUniverse which may help

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/9984091-spark-plug-cap-assembly-procedure-2.html

Steve B

27/10/2018 13:30:59

Hi Rich

Just Engines have the spares, they will also repair it for you if required.

https://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalog-cgi/sh000002.pl?WD=cap%20plug&PN=Ignition_Systems_for_Glow_Engines%2ehtml#aJW11002

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
10/10/2018 12:37:03

Hi All

I'm going to try a NACA inlet on mine as attached so I don`t have a scoop out in the airflow.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/naca-style-inlet-duct-set.html

Thread: Masking
05/07/2018 13:32:33

Invest in the tape the car sprayers use, bit more expensive but well worth it.

Any decent motor spares shop should be able to get it

Thread: propguy.co.uk phone number?
13/06/2018 13:50:27

When I'm considering a big purchase, at the moment I'm considering two EDF kits from manufacturers on the continent I send an email requesting some details of the kit postage etc. If I don't get e reasonably timed response they don't get my money, there are several UK retailers who I will not do business with because of this simple test.

I also will not do business with on line retailers who deliberately do not advertise a telephone contact number

Thread: Robbe Folland Gnat
25/04/2018 11:46:49

I've picked up a vintage Robbe Folland Gnat kit up from Ebay.

Does anybody have a set of instructions they could let me have please.

Steve B

Thread: Help need charging a 12V PB battery
11/04/2018 15:55:13

Check the charger settings to see if it's set to cycle and not charge

Thread: PCM9X11 Tranny
10/04/2018 12:56:53

From memory I think the switch settings are in the system menu. Do you have the manual, I have one in PDF format if required.

Steve B

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Slec
CML
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us