By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart C

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 0.4mm spring steel wire
06/07/2020 19:23:20

I keep my replaced guitar strings for such purposes. Just measured the 3rd from a light set - exactly 0.4mm.

Thread: Carbon Fibre Tubes
04/07/2020 18:18:22

Took my wife to LeMans for her first trip in my "Engineer's Car". Got as far as Portsmouth, when she blurted " GET ME OUT OF THIS ! ". Passenger comfort was not part of the design spec.

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
24/06/2020 20:47:48

Michael, my Sugden was about 10 years earlier. I'm now an ancient fogie. I don't know how the crankcase casting was sourced; I can't recall any saucepans being melted down ( except by the kitchen staff! ). smiley

24/06/2020 16:18:28

Double post!

Edited By Stuart C on 24/06/2020 16:23:11

24/06/2020 16:18:27

A long time ago, aged 13. I can also remember fabricating a rudder for the school's sailing boat. In the 6th form we could join the motor club, where we built an A7 special. With a 100 school clubs and societies, its amazing that we ever had time for A levels.

24/06/2020 15:54:35

Not too many Sugden Specials being made in school metal work classes these days. Definitely not the 60's anymore.

Thread: What size to print plans without a scale tab
21/06/2020 12:45:20

Can you reference the scale from the spinner diameter quoted on the plan? Or maybe the wheel diameters?

Thread: Binding undercarriage using solder and wire
09/05/2020 17:27:20

Well, how about that, then? Thank you Dennis. After all these years, finally the answer.

09/05/2020 17:02:30

Many years ago, I was struggling to solder up a speed model dolly, when my father said "Try this.", whereupon he produced a jam jar containing what I can best describe as a heavy, battleship grey sludge. After a good stir, the sludge was painted over all the bindings and the soldering iron applied. The sludge would then separate into bright solder with a dark brown sort of flux. I can still remember the distinctive sweet smell of the fumes. Every joint was perfect with no blobs nor breaks. I found it to also be brilliant for fuel tank seam joints. Now, I have never found out what it was called, and neither have I come across anybody else that has used it. Can anyone here cast some light on this magic material? (We are taking of 1950's era).

Edited By Stuart C on 09/05/2020 17:04:38

Thread: More thinners
29/04/2020 00:10:09

Nail varnish remover worked well for me when I was once unable to source proper thinners.

Thread: Stand or sit
08/04/2020 11:09:00

Armchair engineering for me.

Thread: NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
30/03/2020 12:25:36

Finished the design, but can't source the balsa. Not allowed out except for food, and there's none of that about. Selecting the balsa can take ages for me, checking the thickness - no tapers - knots in the right places - hold up to the light to check grain consistency - not warped - desired weight. If it doesn't meet these criteria and more, then back on the shelf. Can't check these parameters with online shopping, but if I over-order by some huge factor, there might just be something suitable plonked on the doorstep (hopefully my doorstep). These are tough times.

Thread: What do you use as a building board
04/02/2020 20:06:09

Similar to Peter, 48" x 12" pinewood window shelf from B&Q with rubber feet stuck to underside.

Thread: How do you attached to those solid inners on snakes?
22/11/2019 15:03:43

My experience with threaded rods into plastic tube inners, has been that on high loads, the induced hoop stress due to the thread wedging effect, is greater than the yield stress of the plastic. This results in a longitudinal split to the inner and catastrophic failure. My solution was to apply binding over the plastic inner for the threaded length, thereby adding a negative preload to the hoop stress. Ferrules would be a nicer way to achieve this - if you can find any!

Thread: Electric Cars.
10/07/2019 17:33:36

What are the proposals for upgrading the power distribution network? Have we years of intensive road-works ahead of us? Does range matter when stuck in continuous traffic jams?

Thread: Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......
20/06/2019 15:31:58

UK green light - proceed with caution, unlike Italian green light - burn rubber and stand on the horn.

Thread: UK supplier of balsa in METRIC thicknesses?
10/02/2019 13:16:46

All the 2mm sheet that I buy is always oversize by 0.38mm !

Thread: Field Loss - Planning complaint
23/11/2018 18:46:15

Have a look at futurefarming.com. Drones are in for crop dusting. Some enterprising farmer has established a flying club (training club) on a portion of his land - that's you, isn't it?

Thread: Cutting film covering
20/09/2018 19:45:31

I've just viewed this one, and am very impressed at the skills level.

**LINK**

Good video too.

Thread: RAF Scampton to be sold
24/07/2018 18:21:48

Did'nt Chamberlain land at Heston?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!