By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill_B

Here is a list of all the postings Bill_B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cleaning sole of covering iron after covering with solar film?
12/07/2010 18:56:00
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 12/07/2010 18:53:53:
Or cellulose paint thinners and a rag - I never let it cool, I  just wipe it during use.
The usual disclaimer applies 

+1 for that idea, I've always used that method.

Thread: How to do you apply Your Graphics?
12/07/2010 18:48:53
Posted by Robbie Skipton - BMD Graphics. on 11/07/2010 21:31:35:
Interesting, never knew that vinyl could be heated up to shrink....... Thanks Guys and gals

It doesn't exactly shrink at the same rate like the films do, but what it does do is heat the adhesive so that the vinyl becomes very pliable therefore allowing it to be stretched around very mild compound curves. Also, when covering a foam model, it almost looks like the vinyl has been vacuumed down onto the surface as it moulds perfectly around those annoying little pips (Multiplex Funjet for instance!) and into the grain of the foam.

Thread: Suggestions for a glider trainer
11/07/2010 20:40:27
A Dream Flight Weasel Evo. It can fly in a mere breeze or a howling gale.  It's compact, bounces, and can be built with removable wings or as a one piece model. Quite brilliant!

Thread: How to do you apply Your Graphics?
10/07/2010 21:46:34
Then there's the method of putting vinyl decals onto foam models.
If I'm putting decals on EPP, Arcel, Solidpor, EPO or Elapor foams (which are renown for poor results with vinyl stickers), I attach them in place using very light pressure until I'm happy with their position, and then I smooth them down with a cotton hanky.
Then comes the very important bit: Using a covering iron on a very low heat (# 1 on the scale or slightly less) with a cotton sole cover, gently iron over the decals. This will seal them down onto the foam extremely well, but if needs be they can be removed at a later date. I have used this method on various models with great results and my favourite material at the moment is Fablon as with care it can be teased around slight compound curves.
Thread: What is your favourite foamy flyer?
25/06/2010 20:55:54
My all time favourite (and I've had quite a few foamies!)  has to be  the Multiplex Funjet , although I've just flown my ST Model Blaze for the first time and I'm very, very impressed with it, especially as I managed to pick it up at the recent Weston show for less than £100! 
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!