By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Parker

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Parker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
17/03/2019 16:50:55

Hi All,

More applications of Poly C to the wings today as well as experimenting with the receivers. I intend using two receivers on this model to make life a little easier at the patch, 1 located in the fuselage operating the rudders and elevators and the other in the wing for everything else.

My radio equipment is a Spektrum DX9 using a 4 channel receiver in the fuselage and a 6 channel receiver in the wing. I bought a new AR620 as it has no antenna and a AR400. I have never done this before even, so all set up TX on and in bind mode and both receivers in bind mode and both bound successfully however, on switching off both TX and RX's remove the bind plug and switched on Tx then RX's the 620 worked but the servos connected to the 400 barely moved, both RX's had separate power packs. Tried them both individually and they both worked fine.

So attempt 2. as above but changing the AR620 for a AR610 and re-bound both RX's bound and worked perfectly. I now have my receivers sorted.

dsc05814.jpg

3rd, 4th and 5th coats being applied so far. In the background my new wing for my TN Lancaster is coming along well as the old one was beyond repair following a hard landing, new wing has liteply ribs and nacelle formers instead of balsa hopefully not added too much weight but gain strength..

Well back to give another coat of Poly C.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

16/03/2019 19:24:52

Hi All,

I have made a start on the glassing on the wings, put it off for a bit, a process I've not done before, well not for around 30 years anyway and the products I used then were from Halfords and it was only a cowl, got good results though.

Back to the present day, well I must say the task i had been putting off was a real pleasure to do and as I was using Poly C I could use it in the kitchen with no hassle from anyone else in the household.

dsc05811.jpg

Underside done, now on the topside, this is even better than using tissue no bubbles no tears and so easy to work with........

dsc05812.jpg

I even covered the nacelles with the same piece as the wing just a single relief cut at the back of each nacelle and it was done, why have I not used this stuff before. I used Poly C and tissue on my FW 200 Condor.

dsc05813.jpg

On with the second coat to start filling the weave, by the time I was ordered out both sides of the wind and ailerons plus flap all had two coats not bad in three hours plus Wales won - perfect.

Next more coats to the wings to continue filling in the weave plus sanding sealer to the fuselage and continue making a new wing for my TN Lancaster just to keep me busy.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 16/03/2019 19:27:41

Thread: Flair Tiger Moth, help needed.
16/03/2019 12:42:11

PM sent

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
13/03/2019 16:54:43

JB Aviation

epson099.jpg

I bought my kite from them along with field box and passed my "A" cert at their field just outside Swindon. The field box is still going strong cannot say the same for the kite though but it was the best trainer I had and I tried a few.

I really fancied their DH71, would love to get my hands on one of these not keen on the plans on outerzone

Regards

Robert

Thread: Global kits Cessna Skylane
10/03/2019 23:06:08

Hi Andy,

Coming along nicely, just think of the wood removal as adding lightness but don't get too carried away.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Robert

10/03/2019 17:22:35

Hi All,

Made a little progress, the biggest being what to covering type to use.

I had thought about using tissue and Poly C which is what I used on the Condor. After some thought and knowing that she will be belly landing on grass, I wanted something hard and durable and I was going to glass the bottom of the hull anyway, so I thought why stop at the hull. I know the shape of the fuselage will be challenging but I will do the same as when i built it and that is one side at a time, hopefully not ending up with a banana.

Never, glassed before so this will be the first for me, always willing to learn.

So I have now got all of the materials I need and made a start by giving the entire model a coat of sanding sealer.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thread: How much for a kit?
09/03/2019 20:12:04

DR1 arrived this afternoon,

what a lot of kit for the money even supplied in it's own plywood engraved box, box full to the brim have not dared to look at all parts as will not get them all back in.

dsc05720.jpg

dsc05721.jpg

That's an 8" diameter cowl

dsc05724.jpg

plenty of reading material and good plans wings only though so could be fun.

Not sure when I will start this but it won't be a quick build

Regards

Robert

09/03/2019 20:00:24

I recently finished a DB Bi-Stormer, Richard who is the owner of DB Sport & Scale is a member of our club and he commented that the Bi-Stormer is in it's 50th year this year.

epson075.jpg

oops

my bi-stormer8.jpg

My 72" Bi-Stormer on maiden

His new Sopwith Pup looks great but that's all I'm saying on that.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:03:06

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:03:36

09/03/2019 09:52:33

Here are some photos.

fiesta where it all started in 1990 (1280x867).jpg

Fiesta Galaxy models I think, where it all began for me back in 1990

me109 (1280x864).jpg

Cambrian Fun Fighter 109

dsc02529 (1280x853).jpg

Flair Astro Hog

chipmunk flying.jpg

Galaxy Models Chipmunk Still going strong

my tiger 6.jpg

Premier Tiger Moth, flies great even dead stick. I have another kit just in case

Cambrian Models MK22/24 with static prop, still not brave enough to fly her

dsc03342.jpg

Global Skylane, built from the finest oak balsa

Galaxy Jet Provost

Galaxy Models Provost

dsc09520.jpg

Easy Built Models Catalina, it was anything but an easy built model but rewarding once in the air

dsc09764 (800x533).jpg

dsc09765 (800x533).jpg

And here's a few waiting to be built,

dsc09762.jpg

One day I'll build the Brisfit, been saying that for a few years now

Regards

Robert

Thread: Global kits Cessna Skylane
09/03/2019 09:27:33

Hi Andy,

If your kit is like mine, that is full of the finest oak balsa I would suggest changing it to a lighter grade of balsa.

I could not believe how heavy the tail assembly alone was.

Also, I would strongly recommend strengthening former "B" as on mine it totally shattered in 6 places in a relatively minor cartwheel which I've had similar models come away with little or no damage. As you will see the sides of this former are only 10mm wide and this former takes the wing dowels so a lot of stresses pass through this former in such an arrival, as your going electric there is no need for the tank so you could make a new one.

Hope the build goes well and go for the forward CoG position

Regards

Robert

06/03/2019 21:13:47

epson074.jpg

I started working in September 1978, the cost of the Avro 504 was a week and a halves wages before tax was deducted.

I got this last year

avro 504 a.jpg

May start building it later this year.

epson076.jpg

I would love to find a copy of this concord, used to see it in the plans guide years ago, gone now.

I once built the Howard Metcalfe Crossfire fibre glass fuselage, never got past the maiden aileron flutter rolled over and in like a rocket. The joys.

Regards

Robert

Thread: How much for a kit?
05/03/2019 18:35:53

I would be happy to pay £170 - £200 or so for a kit of around 70" wingspan.

Saying that I have just bought a 60" Fokker DR1 kit only, on e-bay for £146 plus P&P, though it is coming from China just another three weeks to wait, hopefully it looks as good in the flesh as it does on the net.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Real Model Pilots
05/03/2019 18:15:15

I have used them twice, the first time took a long time to arrive I forget exactly how long but it took a couple of phone calls.

Have you asked for your items to be painted. I did on my first order and had decided to paint my second set of pilots myself I do recall these arriving a lot quicker.

Their painting is to a very good standard and I must say worth the wait.

dsc03080 (800x533).jpg

dsc03081 (800x533).jpg

This gun turret and part of the flight crew came pre-painted

Hope this is some help / reassurance

Regards

Robert

02/03/2019 16:30:39

Hi All,

A bit more done today including re-calculating the CoG position as this has been on my mind since my terrible maiden attempt of my FW 200 Condor which had a major CoG error, the new position is 12mm forward of my original position possibly due to the weight gain.

Her she is just a few seconds after opening the throttles, yes that's right just a few seconds it all happened so quick I did not have time to react.

my condor 4.jpg

This remarkable Image taken by a fellow club mate, just before impact and the resulting damage helped put me off working on the Dornier and a lot of self doubt set in. All of the damage has been repaired and she is waiting to have another go, CoG moved a lot further forward after re-checking and confirmed by a fellow modeller.

So, back to the Dornier, I have modified the battery box to allow a 4s lipo to fit and drilled for the wing retaining bolts. Following that although there is still a lot to do I balanced the model and at least the battery box is in the right place and in it's present state the battery is at the rear end of it, so hopefully after finishing and painting I'll still have some room to play with for the battery position

dsc05718.jpg

dsc05719.jpg

The battery can move right up into the nose if needs be.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thread: Flair Tiger Moth, help needed.
28/02/2019 19:28:52

Hi BP,

The chap who is selling the tiger moth refurb kit and the pup short is Dean from Flair, have you tried asking him to see if he could help

Regards

Robert

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
25/02/2019 19:38:23

Maidened my DB Bi-Stormer 72 yesterday,

Flew beautifully despite a dead stick just a minute or so in but the rest of the days flying was great I LOVE this model

my bi-stomer4.jpg

Up and away

my bi-stormer8.jpg

my bi-stormer7.jpg

It's a real floater

Regards

Robert

19/02/2019 19:53:40

Thank you Piers,

The 8mm gap is with the 8 x 4 props, the 8 x 5 is a contender but I might try some others later on.

I do think the 4s is the battery so I'll have to alter the battery compartment but not until I have done a trial balance as I was way off on my FW 200 Condor and had to move the battery back 8", though that is part of the fun of own designs.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Gutted!
19/02/2019 18:22:02

She is looking really good Cliff.

Fingers crossed for the maiden

Regards

Robert

18/02/2019 20:39:19

Hi All,

I have just carried out some prop tests this evening.

Here are the results,

Firstly, I just connected up a single motor. Not wanting a repeat of Saturday's disaster where after connecting a 4s battery to my TN Lancaster following some repairs and wanting to check out why she behaved so different from the previous flight to which I managed to burn out all 4 ESC's in a matter of seconds even though they were marked 2 - 4s, a smoking model in doors is not a good sight thank goodness the wife was out and the smell had gone by the time she returned. So new ESC's ordered along with new motors just in case.

So back to the Dornier, the props and batteries were what I had to available, the order of the test was 3 blades first as they were already fitted then the 7 x 5 and then the 8 x 5 props. The batteries were all freshly charged at the start of the testing period with each motor run lasting a few seconds.

single motor fitted with 8 x 4 x 3 blade

Battery 3s 4000 167Watts

3s 6000 172 Watts 13Amps

4s 5000 402 Watts

3 Motors running 7 x 5 2 blade APC props

Battery 3s 4000 333 Watts 29Amps

3s 6000 365 Watts 30Amps

4s 5000 723 Watts 46Amps

3 motors running 8 x 5 2 blade APC props

Battery 3s 4000 433 Watts 38Amps

3s 6000 472 Watts 40Amps

4s 5000 935 Watts 60Amps

3 Motors running 8 x 4 3 blade GWS props these do seem a little flimsy and may flex I think

Battery 3s 4000 434 Watts 38Amps

3s 6000 470 Watts 40Amps

4s 5000 950 Watts 62Amps

So it looks like I have to modify the fuselage to take the 4s, it is only just a bit too big to fit.

I have no intention flying off water with the exception when our field becomes water logged.

Any thoughts Piers or others on the above

Regards

Robert

18/02/2019 06:30:35

Hi Piers,

I was hoping to use a 3s set up but I do have a 4s which I would need to make some slight adjustments to the battery box. As for prop sizes, I assumed i would be using a 3s setup and from the instructions prop size for 2s = 12 x 6 and 4s being 8 x 4, therefore, 3s would be 10 x 5 for a two blade and using a rule of thumb to down the diameter an inch for three blade, but a 9" prop would fowl the fuselage so by physical restraints I went for 8 x 4 x3.

Now that I have aired my thoughts I hopefully do some testing this week with different prop sizes.

Will keep all informed of the results.

Regards

Robert

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us