By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Parker

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Parker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sand n Seal
17/01/2021 13:15:21

Hi CK,

I'm with Chris on this, I have used it on balsa and it warped and twisted what even made this worse was I used Poly C, which is also water-based, and every coat I applied just seemed to make it worse. Fine on ply though, am like you, I opted for the socially acceptable approach as my workshop is in the house.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Messerschmitt M-19 (Civilian)
09/01/2021 19:14:13

A nice looking model DD, I had to look it up.

I found CNC cut kits are a lot cleaner to handle with no charcoal edges.

Looking forward to watching this build

Regards

Robert

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/01/2021 11:28:25

Hi All,

Just finished my latest model a 1927 DH 71 Tiger Moth racer, built from an old JB Aviation kit.

The wingspan is 66", powered by an OS 52FS and covered in Oratex

dsc08572 (2)a.jpg

dsc08581 (2)a.jpg

dsc08570a.jpg

dsc08572a.jpg

Regards

Robert

Thread: JB Aviation DH71 Tiger Moth
09/01/2021 11:21:22

Hi All,

Thought I'd make use of the early morning sunshine and took a few photos

dsc08570a.jpg

dsc08571a.jpg

The office

dsc08572 (2)a.jpg

A look back to 1927

dsc08574a.jpg

dsc08576a.jpg

I had intended to fit a new OS 52 up front but during the course of the build my used OS 52 became available if you know what i mean

dsc08577a.jpg

dsc08578a.jpg

rigging attachment loops over metal "L"s

dsc08579a.jpg

Lower rigging threaded through the eye of the split pin

dsc08580a.jpg

the rigging wires (elastic) threaded through off cuts of snake inners through the cowl

dsc08581 (2)a.jpg

dsc08582a.jpg

dsc08583a.jpg

dsc08584a.jpg

dsc08585a.jpg

Just have to wait for the maiden

Regards

Robert

08/01/2021 17:09:08

Thank you all for your comments.

Geoff & Dale, there is a plan on Outzone at 50" and Sarik has a 54" plan.

I have a book by Kelvin Shacklock, Aircraft workshop: Learn to make models that fly which has a quarter-scale DH71 plan in it with a span of 67" for a 70 fourstroke, but I have tried to search for the plan but no luck. I understand the plans were available through Traplet but they have gone but Sarik are not listing it.

Regards

Robert

07/01/2021 19:13:26

Thank you, Martin, I certainly will.

07/01/2021 18:34:22

Hi All,

Well, the postman delivered the Oratex. I opted to not go for the yellow black scheme as the decals provided were for "RV" and not "QU".

dh 71b.jpg

At first, I was not taken by it after only doing the antique and thought should I paint it as it is quite translucent and showing the balsa structure of the wing. However, now the model is completed I think it looks very smart and the translucent wing adds to the 1920's look. The Oratex went on like a dream even better than Solartex and it is one of the best coverings I have done for some time.

Once the covering was done it was time to do the finishing touches, the pilot has been on the shelf for years waiting for her moment and after a quick diet, she was in the office and looking quite the part. Rigging wires were next followed by the instrument panel and cockpit framing, the only part missing from the kit which I made from 1/64th ply and made the windows from a plastic lid from a cracker box. All control horns fitted and the tank fitted and plumbed as well.

Here are a couple of photos, until I get the time and weather to take some decent outdoor shots of her and one day a few flying shots.

dsc08568a.jpg

I decided not to add the rigging wire between the wheels as it would probably catch on the grass at our patch

dsc08567a.jpg

dsc08569a.jpg

That's all for now but I'll leave you with the thought that for my next build I'm seriously thinking about a stablemate for my Short Stirling, a Tony Nijhuis Short Sunderland, a kit I have had for several years and one I hope it will take me a few months to build as I'm starting to run out of hanger space.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Bench Design
06/01/2021 18:50:44

Hi Andy,

Looks good to me, I like the idea of adjustable legs.

I built mine from 50 x 50mm pse timber frame with 18mm WBP ply with an acoustic board fixed on to it for my building board and just the 18mm ply for the workbench areas and forming cupboards below. I formed a "U" shape, the doors keep the dust out and I can store all my unbuilt models and tools.

dsc09896.jpg

The "building board" is 2400 x 900, difficult to imagine with all that clutter, the left workbench is 2200 x 600 and the right bench is 1500 x 600, just the right size for the kit boxes, the doors are made from Oak faced MDF with kitchen cupboard hinges,

I don't seem to have any photos of a clear bench, always building. I think this gives a general idea though.

hope to be of some help

Thread: The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)
06/01/2021 10:33:23

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the lead, very interesting to read how the ice spikes are formed and of course solving the mystery.

Regards

Robert

01/01/2021 11:51:56

Hi All,

A puzzle for you.

I noticed this in my garden the other day, I cannot give an explanation for it there are no overhanging trees or anything above it can anyone give a thought as to how this happened. The garden is enclosed.

img_20201225_110620.jpg

img_20201225_110634.jpg

img_20201225_110645.jpg

Regards

Robert

Thread: Tier 4 ?
31/12/2020 09:05:07

I and fellow committee members of our club agreed to suspend all activities at our patch since we went into tier 4 on December 20th. Based on that going to the patch is not an essential journey and that due to the recent weather and local motorcyclists have made the patch almost unusable anyway.

As a by the way, I spent a week working on a Covid ward just before Christmas I'm not NHS staff but a building contractor we were putting up temporary screens on the ward forming airlocks we are due back next week. During the works working amongst the staff and patients sometimes less than 2m, the staff looked totally worn out and short-staffed. I can only concur that this is a horrible virus and am fully aware that it affects people very differently, for those in the hospitals it is very real. So if you can restrain yourselves for a few months, (the weather is against us most of the time at this time of year anyway) you will be helping yourself and others.

Go on build another plane or two, the flying can wait.

Regards

Robert

28/12/2020 17:43:29

Hi All,

I hope you all had as good a Christmas as you could with the restrictions put upon us and all for good reason.

I have just about gone as far as I can go now until the postman brings my covering materials, I left it a little too near Christmas when ordering.

All of the flying surfaces have been hinged and pinned and all servos fitted

dsc08427a.jpg

dsc08428a.jpg

I like to pin the hinges before covering and then attach them to the airframe with a strip of covering on the face of the trailing edge.

dsc08429a.jpg

Standard servos just dropped straight in, with the receiver to the side

This is as far as I can go until the postman gets here.

At this point I usually throw away this lot

dsc08430a.jpg

Just snap it all up and put it in the bin, but with a balsa shortage and doing a little for the environment I turned this into this

dsc08431a.jpg

It's not a huge amount but it free, plenty of 3mm and 6mm ply pieces

dsc08432a.jpg

18 pieces mostly full length with the rest at half length or so, ready to go in my balsa box.

That's all for now

In the meantime, I'll carry one with a Mustang that I started just before this one, that said after sanding down and another coat it needs to be sprayed and for me, that is an outdoor job so needs to be a little warmer.

As a by the way, I bought a Force 46 engine to see what they were like for some reason, I thought they were British made but no Chinese still looks OK though, anyone tried one???

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 28/12/2020 17:44:04

Thread: Merry Christmas
25/12/2020 13:31:23

A Merry Christmas to you all

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 24th Dec - last one!
23/12/2020 19:33:21

Yes please I'm in

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 23rd Dec
23/12/2020 09:26:18

Count me in please

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 22nd Dec
22/12/2020 08:56:15

Yes please

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
21/12/2020 18:56:23

Hi Kevin B,

Seeing your photo reminded me of a little problem I had at work a couple of years ago.

We had been refurbishing the welfare facilities at a factory that provides titanium for fan blades to Rolls Royce and the client had requested a full wall picture of a jet egine etched on pvc paneling, well the architect provided the contractor with a picture which was etched on the pvc and duely installed, which was not cheap by any means. The factory manager was invited to inspect the finished work. On seeing the engine he let out a whole load of expletives, it turned out that the engine in question on the wall, which even to me looked like a jet engine, was a Pratt & Whitney engine ooops.

The wall remained I believe but I know that employees of Rolls Royce pay regular visits I wonder what they think??

Regards

Robert

21/12/2020 11:49:03

Thank you for all of your comments.

Having been just placed the orders for the covering and servos I'm hoping with fingers crossed that they will arrive before Xmas but I know the postal system is usually very busy this time of year anyway and even busier this year.

If building/covering comes to a halt I can, of course, start to ponder my next build something that will take longer to build. I have been quite surprised by how quickly this model came together and looking forward to flying her.

Regards

Robert

Thread: DH Tiger Moth 1400mm
21/12/2020 11:23:25

Hi Bob,

I have just looked at your build and I must congratulate you on building a fantastic looking Tiger, for a first balsa build you have great skills in both balsa bashing and the dark art of 3D printing. I like your total honesty of your mishaps that have happened along the way but that is all part of learning. I try to aim to make the next model better and learn from the little errors made, I'm still learning after 30 years.

Good luck with the maiden.

Just one point, ( I learnt the hard way), you will need to apply fuel proofer to the Halfords paint as fuel softens it and after a short time when you clean the model after flying your cloth will be coloured with the paint.

my tiger 11.jpg

Here's my 66" span Premier Kit Tiger coming in on yet another dead stick landing, on-board glow system has put a stop to this events, Just Engines system fitted works great.

Regards

Robert

Thread: My First Build Starts Soon
20/12/2020 20:30:59

Hi Brian,

I agree with Shaun with regard to disabling the ailerons.

As for the indoor craft room, I did the same thing when I moved into my house 25 years ago and promised my wife could have half of the workspace for her sewing, my wife never moved in too much dust, but my daughter did some sixteen years later with her painting, not the most harmonious situations but we have come to an understanding. Having the workshop indoors is great especially this time of year, although I do get some comments about the smells of epoxy glue, soldering, and paint plus of course balsa shavings being dragged out onto the hall.

I find it a truly wonderful hobby whether building or flying, I'm 30 years in now and still learning.

Good luck with the build, plenty of advice here

Regards

Robert

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!