By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Parker

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Parker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Design & Build Dornier Do 24
17/02/2019 15:19:44

Hi All,

It's been a while since I last worked on the Dornier having had a bit of a distraction and built myself a DB Bi Stormer.

I have spent some time today looking at the Dornier and trying to catch up on my train of thoughts back in September and having wired and installed the motors back then and am now a bit puzzled.

For some reason, which I cannot recall I have fitted 3530/14 motors with 30amp ESC's oops, these motors require a 50 Amp ESC.

I think I must have ordered the wrong size or had a senior moment again.

If I kept the motors and bought new ESC's they would be a tight fit in the outer nacelles and almost impossible in the centre one plus I am a little concerned about the heat / cooling

dsc05689.jpg

dsc05691.jpg

Central nacelle, a bit crowded without the ESC and the incoming power cables

Possibly a twin with freewheeling central prop?

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thread: Bistormer 60" (A Barnstormer with more ribs)
09/02/2019 16:51:43

Here's my 72" version

dsc05682.jpg

Followed some of the tips and made a canopy, steerable tail wheel and 4 ailerons

Regards

Robert

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/02/2019 16:48:36

Hi All,

Just like to share with you my latest model a DB Bistormer 72" fitted with an Irvine 53 and weighing in at 7 3/4 lbs.

Covered in easycoat 2nd's red and white and HK for the blue. Decals from Callie Graphics and a couple of homemade. I was inspired by the colour scheme of the pitts special.

A couple of changes from the plans, steerable tail wheel, canopy, after all it is winter and I also fitted four ailerons there was no mention on the plans that specified top wing only or bottom wing, servos mounted in the lower wing. I have halved the throws on low rates and as the instructions stated on high rates.

pitts special.jpg

pitts special4.jpg

My inspiration

dsc05679.jpg

dsc05680.jpg

dsc05683.jpg

dsc05684.jpg

Homemade canopy using the pop bottle techbique used two 3ltr bottles as I could not get it to form right

dsc05686.jpg

dsc05687.jpg

Just the canopy to fix and CoG and wait for the weather

Hope she flies as good as she looks

Regards

Robert

Thread: How can I reverse a plan to build two wing halves
08/02/2019 17:53:28

Hi Phil,

I use baby oil lasts for quite a while and not so smelly, my workshop is in the house.

with the baby oil the paper becomes transparent and it is good for your hands too

Regards

Robert

Thread: German WW2 Insignia
24/01/2019 20:09:26

Hi All,

I agree with the opening post in that if it had one then one was applied to the model.

However, having built a civilian FW Condor. I chose the civilian version for two reasons, firstly, I have built a lot of military models and very few civilian aircraft and secondly it the civilian version had no gondola, turrets etc to assist in the build.

When I got to the finishing stage I did start asking myself questions about where it was correct or not and found that it was illegal in Germany and thought having found nothing to say you could not so in the UK so I did. The aircraft I modelled was the first aircraft (fixed wing) to fly from Berlin to New York and back in 1938.

dsc00146.jpg

BTW, the Finnish airforce also used a swastika during WWII but in blue. Just a thought, would a Finnish WWII model be allowed in Germany, still bearing the swastika albeit in blue?

Regards

Robert

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 19:38:49

I first built a keil kraft glider not RC in the mid seventies when I was in my mid-teens, this was not a success and not until the summer of 1990 just before going to Uni I discovered our wonderful hobby, started out with a Galaxy Fiesta fitted with an OS 25FP (possibly the worst engine I have ever owned) Futaba Challenger. I built the model on an old bit of ply in my mothers dining room (very seldom used as such). My second and third models were built in the garage, a case of trying to run before I could walk, my second model was a Galaxy Chipmunk and the third was a plan built Vulcan bomber (never flew it) but I did and do enjoy the building process and handling the wood and covered it with nylon and doped.

Now in my 29th year, (where did all those years go).

I have only had two AFTF's in all that time one still survivies and is over 10 years old or so, Ripmax Extreme. I enjoy building from plans, kits and have even made a few own designs over the past three years.

Certainly agree that you never stop learning and help is always on hand either on here or at the flying field

Regards

Robert

Thread: Chipmunk C of G
20/01/2019 18:46:28

Hi Chris,

I have a Galaxy Models Chippy at 72" span

Chord : 350mm

CoG: 105mm - 118mm

Regards

Robert

Thread: De Havilland Airco DH2 scratch build
19/01/2019 09:29:48

Watching with interest

Regards

Robert

Thread: Gutted!
13/01/2019 10:44:03

Hi Cliff,

Good luck with the test flight, the weight savings and larger props should make a difference for the better.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Global kits Cessna Skylane
02/01/2019 10:47:30

Hi Raymond,

The size is 1/4" x 3/4" or in metric 6 x 18mm.
The balsa in my kit was very very hard and heavy.

Have you made the fuselage yet?

Following my "cartwheel" arrival it may be worth giving extra support to Former B it is a bit vulnerable in the cabin area.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Easy Built Models Ryan ST
18/11/2018 09:25:40

Hi Geoff.

Coming along nicely yes

Regards

Robert

12/11/2018 21:52:55

Hi Geoff,

Add strength, much easier to do now than in a repair later.

Certainly go past both spars or even make new ones from 1/8th lite ply. 1/16th sounds OK to me as a doubler.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Global kits Cessna Skylane
12/11/2018 21:30:03

Hi Rob,

I do still have the plans. Mine were printed on both sides with the fus on one side and the wings on the other. I am a bit reluctant to sell at the moment, I need to carry out some repairs following an un-planned arrival, (the wings are OK but the fus snapped at either side of the wind shield) and due to work commitments I am unable to get to a printers to get a copy or have put into PDF format for the next few weeks.

Thank you Torsten, she flies nicely although a little under powered on a .46 due to all of the hard balsa that was in the kit.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Fixed or steerable tail wheel
11/11/2018 16:47:04

Hi Russ,

I'd go for a steerable tailwheel, I had a DH Chipmunk with a free castoring it was a real pain, was not too difficult to do now ground handling is a pleasure.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
11/11/2018 10:08:04

Hi Chris,

Excellent work once again.

I like your ideas for the wing bolts with the kitchen cabinet joiners, prop nut and pilot moulding.

Regards

Robert

11/11/2018 10:03:34

Hi Geoff,

That sounds like a good idea with the wing strengthening.

As you say, the kit was produced when electric flight was all about maximum weight saving and to build as light as possible. With today's brushless motors and Lipo's we have a little more wriggle room regarding weight and available power.

The drawings / instructions do leave a bit to be desired. As far as the tailplane supporting without seeing the plan could you add a 1/8th plate between the fus sides.

Regards

Robert

10/11/2018 18:31:15

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to hear about your fall hope you are recovering well.

I found a couple of images that look as if the confirm Pat Mc's drawing.

ryan sta [limited to 500px].jpg

ryan st-a.jpg

ryan st-a1.jpg

Comparing all of the images and the full size front view I would be tempted to keep the angle as 4.5 deg.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Robert

Thread: Tony B's replica
04/11/2018 19:08:54

Hi Tony,

Glad to see that you've got your mojo back, and what progress you have made.

Keep up the excellent work.

Regards

Robert

03/11/2018 09:05:08

Hi Geoff,

Forgot to mention earlier how I created the second half of the fuselage crutch.

If your plans show a cross section which shows two central stringers as my Catalina has, I coated the plan in baby oil and turned it over and built the second half on the board and when dry glued the two sections together, banana free. It's also good for the hands as well.

The oil does not destroy the plans after a while it dries out.

Regards

Robert

02/11/2018 18:56:00

Hi Geoff,

I think the name easy-built should be taken to the trades description people.

Having built their 54" Catalina, it was anything but easily built and as you say a lot is assumed by the manufacturer regarding the plans / instructions. Once into the build and getting used to the instructions I did enjoy building it. I used a pair of 2830/11 1000kv Turnigy motors in lieu of the Astro brushed motors and a 3s 4000 battery just enough power.

I was very concerned about weight and covered mine in Sig Koverall and poly C.

She does fly, but what I have found is that the wings are so lightly built that the wing flexes when the ailerons are used and makes them more or less useless so I just fly rudder elevator.

dsc05743 (640x427).jpg

dsc09520.jpg

This makes all of the effort and trials of the build worth the time.

Have patients and enjoy the build one last thing I has to move the CoG further forward to make it more enjoyable to fly.

Hope this is of some help

Your welcome to take a look at my build thread on the Catalina, "Easy built PBY Catalina a 20 year wait is over"

Regards

Robert

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
CML
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us