By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gliggsy

Here is a list of all the postings gliggsy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi to Concorde Sheffield
07/04/2013 11:14:35

Just wanted to say Hi and thanks to the guys from Sheffields Concorde flying club. Called in there yesterday on my way home from Manchester. The first decent flying day of the year and couldn't find a field suitable anywhere across Woodhead, fingers were itchin' etc so decided to call by and see if there was any action. Thanks for the welcome guys and the offer to let me have my 'fix'.............G

Thread: Very new to model building
02/04/2013 20:44:47

Hi Tel, not sure where you mean by 'North London' but if you toddle down to Holloway rd and stop somewhere near number 308 there is reasonable parking and an excellent model shop, alternatively, Enfield high street but a google will bring you a few retail outlets.......G

Thread: Fort William ???
15/03/2013 18:46:29

Hi fellas, thanks for the replies, some decent information worth looking into, never even thought about the Saa. Great memories from MJE, reminded of the time!!!! In fact a few times lol. There is one avenue yet to explore,a farmers field, looks promising and the weather is good enough at the moment......g

15/03/2013 09:57:14

Hi guys, I. Have been posted to Fort William in Scotland, and it looks like I could be here for a while. Travelling to Inverness daily and at a loose end all weekend, plenty of spare sky to fly in but don't seem to be able to find anywhere that is suitable for landing. Only flying small electric ie 40 inch span and 450 size helis. If there's Anyone that can help with any information on flying sites or any suitable fields etc..........g

Thread: flight times query??????
20/01/2013 20:16:40

Hi PatMc, Only paid very little money for the cub and didn't really want to put any money into it, have plenty of spare brushless kicking about but also wanted to keep it brushed because I have spent all afternoon rebuilding damaged 3 cell lipos and converting them to 2 cell, have quite a few 3cell 2200 from my helis and some of them with a low cell etc, besides it's only a 3 channel cub so don't want to gild the lilly so to speak dont expect to be 3Ding.......G

20/01/2013 20:08:04

well thanks for the quick replies guys, my original thoughts were that it would be good for around 14 mins' using a rough rule of thumb guide(my calcs' so I wasn't too far wrong although it seems the original suck-it-n-see method seems to be the way to go. Did try it on a larger prop but motor got a bit warm, 7x4 seems about right, so whats the general concensus on the power to weight ratio and will it fly.......G

20/01/2013 19:01:09

Hi guys , looking for a bit of help to calculate flight times. I dare say that I could search but that would probably take all evening so hope that someone can help with a simple answer or simple way to enable me to calc' in future. What I would normally do with a new model is throw it up, fly for 6 mins' , land and see how much batt I've left and then increase or decrease accordingly but I would like to know the scientific method!!! Ok so a particular model, that I have yet to maiden....Cub with a 46" w/span, auw @ 18.35 oz fitted with a 400 brushed motor and 20 amp esc.. Already had a watt meter on it and finished up fitting a 7x4 prop drawing 7.5 amps, abaout 50 watts wot with a 2cell 1500mah lipo.So here's the $64,000 question.......How long can I theoretically fly for......G

Thread: Soldering again
18/12/2012 22:26:35

Hi Fellas, I think one of the biggest mistakes with novice solderers is the fact that the iron should be kept away from the work and allowed to heat to temp' and then introduced to the workpiece allowing the transfer of heat at a quick, short blast therefore ensuring a good joint. Holding the iron to the work too long, before it's hot, is merely using the workpiece as a heat-sink, this will melt the plastic on the Deans and cause a poor joint......G

Thread: Looking for a twin
07/12/2012 20:35:51

Hi Fellas, I'm looking for a twin, ok there's some material for a few jokes there in the opening line.......to be more specific....I have an old Twinstar (Multiplex), it's a Mk1 and getting very weary although there are a couple of decent brushless motors fitted, am looking to fit them into a new airframe but can't decide what or even what's available. There are a few criteria though, would like a w/span as close to 1000mm as poss' with a removable wing if possible. Pref' 3 cell 2200 power as that's my stock size, dont mind foam and already considered Dynam Catalina, am currently working in the Shetlands for a few weeks, the home of the wartime Catalina squadron, any suggestions welcome or is it back to the Mk11 Twinstar...........G

Thread: Newbie from London
14/11/2012 19:55:20

Hi Felix, don't think you would find a better opportunity to learn all you need by starting the Tucano mass build and if this version flies anything like the smaller, 30 " version then it's a doddle.....G

Thread: Depron Alpha Jet - Maiden Flight!
30/10/2012 22:45:12

well done there fella, nice to see a home build have some success

Thread: Tucano Signing Up Thread
28/10/2012 20:35:36

Hi fellas, count me in as well.........G

Thread: Depron Alpha Jet
26/10/2012 20:34:44

Hi there, I have been following this thread with interest and have to say what a nice looking job you made of the build and paintwork, wish I had the patience, dont mind the build but am rubbish with the paint. Bad luck with the maiden there fella but at least you saw it fly after a fashion, keep at it, as you say and don't be beaten by it, as said get the rates altered + expo and give it another go......G

Thread: Building with Depron
03/10/2012 20:03:10

Hi fellas, have just completed a self-design thingymajobby in Depron with a 38" wingspan, would post a pic but unfortunately am working away ATM, in theShetlands Brrrrrrrrr ! What I tend to do is build full fuze with depron but start with a basic sub-structure of the wall insulation foam that's 50mm thick. I stick a firewall/motormount ply sqare to the front of the builders foam and with clever planning mount the u/c in there as well then cover with Depron to the desired shape, basically the first 2/3 of the fuze is Kingspan with all the hardware mounted but the wings and tail-plane are all Depron......G

03/10/2012 20:03:09

Hi fellas, have just completed a self-design thingymajobby in Depron with a 38" wingspan, would post a pic but unfortunately am working away ATM, in theShetlands Brrrrrrrrr ! What I tend to do is build full fuze with depron but start with a basic sub-structure of the wall insulation foam that's 50mm thick. I stick a firewall/motormount ply sqare to the front of the builders foam and with clever planning mount the u/c in there as well then cover with Depron to the desired shape, basically the first 2/3 of the fuze is Kingspan with all the hardware mounted but the wings and tail-plane are all Depron......G

Thread: Twin brushless config'
28/08/2012 22:03:50

Hi Chris, should have added, yes, running of one lipo, 3 cell and two esc's with a 'Y' lead from the throttle channel.......G

28/08/2012 22:00:04

Thanks for the input guys, pretty much as I thought though, already disconnected one of the ESC power feeds to disable the BEC, did do a bit of reading prior to this mod' . Haven't programmed the ESC's, just as they came out of the box, maybe worth doing a flight to see what the effects are before throwing any more dollars at this one, my thoughts are that it probably will fly, and maybe ok and I may swap the motor/ESC around to see the effect or maybe try another ESC, will keep you posted with the results as this may be of interest to other flyers although it could be a couple of weeks before I get home to try it as I have been posted down to Plymouth for a while with work.......g

28/08/2012 13:14:58

Hi guys, recently purchased a Twinstar mk 1 for very little money, given it about half a dozen flights on 11.1 lipo and as expected, one of the standard motors packed up on me. Really enjoyed flying it so decided to treat it to twin brushless so got a couple of motors from GS (had a guess at the size and power etc) and these fit nicely with some old 8x4 wooden props, fitted a couple of SS ESC's from HK and on WOT pulling about 150 Watts. So all's well so far, the problem is that one is doing more work than the other by the sound of it, also one tends to start up before the other. Anybody out there configured twin leccys and are there some rules and guidance. I would have thought I need to balance these out a little closer than what they sound but have not maidened yet, any advice on leccy twins would be mucho apprecio.........G

Thread: Heli orientation
24/08/2012 20:03:30

Hi fellas, I came from helis into planes although I can only 'sport' fly, flips, rolls, circuits and 8's etc and was quite comfy on the sticks, no 3D for me. decided to get into planes cause' helis were just too intense concentration and no relaxing and taking your eye off the thing. I personally feel there is too much pressure on learning the hover orientations, especially nose-in. What I did was to progress into lazy 8'S, gradually making them bigger and more 8 ish and actually flying the nose-in until all felt natural. A heli will fly very much like fixed wing apart from rudder response, which, in a heli is far more responsive.....G

Thread: Spektrum DX6I Model Settings Reset
31/07/2012 13:45:12

Hi guys, read on another forum about this happening and may be related to the use of SIM and not switching off correctly, any of you guys been previously 'simmed' up before these incidents, happened to me twice BTW......G

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Addlestone Models
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us