By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Masher

Here is a list of all the postings Masher has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?
14/08/2015 06:10:51

Thanks Peter.

The HS-255MG seems reasonable and should just fit at about £16 each. I am in a phase of trying to buy better components so will consider splashing out a bit!

I also downloaded the spreadsheet listing all the equipment used in the 2013 F3A Championships - quite interesting and I was surprised that competitors didn't guard their information about set-up's a bit more.

13/08/2015 16:20:50

Very interesting to watch!

Changing the subject to Monolog/Ionos, please can somebody advise on choice of servo?

On the Monolog, it is possible to use standard size servos all round so I have JR DS 811's in there as fitted by the previous owner. This all seems fine.

With the Ionos, the apertures are too small for std size servos. There is just enough meat in the wings to open out and fit standard ones which I have done. However, in the tail it is "not possible" without pain. The Rudder and Elevator servos are "hidden" in the tail end which is quite neat but awkward to work on (hard to explain). So.......... the easy way is to source servos that fit the apertures which are 35mm long by 15mm wide - I could just about open them up by about 1mm or so.

Just for a joke, I bought some of the ones recommended on the HK site - you guessed it, rubbish. A sorry purchasing tale I won't bore you with.

I have two issues: 1) finding good servos that will fit (2) deciding on what specification is required.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks in anticipation.

PS. Having broken my Monolog at a BFMA instructors/examiners training day (stupidity) I have "got to know" more about it's structure in the re-build process. I can now say that I think the Ionos is actually better build quality - although I haven't flown it yet.

Bad weather = too much waffle, sorry!

Thread: Hi from Hereford
04/08/2015 07:36:43

Hi Mark

My Seafire isn't far off finished but I had a lot of problems with the supplied retracts - just rubbish quality. I got help off Jon Harper on here who sorted some air retracts for me - but I wasted so much time on those that I lost momentum and stalled.

It's hard to comment on a good next model for you without knowing how much flying you did in the past or what standard you are at now. The model pictured above looks like it could be "interesting" but if you have never flown low/mid-wing then you may want something more user friendly Eg Acrowot

Come and see some of my models if you like and we can discuss

PS Regarding the advice given to you about Spitfire's, this may also be part of the reason I haven't finished mine...... fear! I have been flying for 3 years pretty extensively and am about to take 'B' cert so I have flown some fairly lively models but still not sure about warbirds!

Edited By Masher on 04/08/2015 07:40:07

03/08/2015 18:37:09

Hi Mark, welcome back!

I am a member of Bromyard Model Flyers, our website is here (website is a bit dormant at the minute for very good reasons)

We are a friendly club and enjoy limitless flying with no restrictions other than safety ones. Whilst we are fully subscribed at present, it would be good to meet you and have a chat - pm me or contact via website. We have a number of members from Hereford.

I too bought the Seafire but have currently lost interest in it - will pick it up again in the winter.

Hope to meet you soon.

Martin

Thread: Ebay sellers...
03/08/2015 12:28:46

Don't expect Chris Foss will be too upset if he sees this

Edited By Masher on 03/08/2015 12:29:04

Thread: Vinyl graphics.
25/07/2015 19:32:03

Could it have been Steve Dunning at Elation models? He recently did some for me at very reasonable cost:

Steve Dunning <dunnhome2@btopenworld.com>

Thread: Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?
23/07/2015 16:49:45

I bought an Ionos during the last HK sale and am building it IC. It is nearly identical to a Monolog but there are subtle differences. It appears that little bits of CAD have changed just to make the two appear different.

On the IC front, I have carefully un-stuck the supplied electric front end structure by prising the ply bits apart (This sort of shows how rubbish the glue is but it's more a case of rubbery than non-existent). Fortunately one of the forumites gave me the IC ply bits from a Monolog kit which saved me having to think too much.

Trouble is, I am enjoying my electric Monolog so much that I'm in no hurry to complete the IC Ionos - to be honest I thought the Monolog would be in broken bits by now!

For anyone considering pattern ship, the Ionos is a steal at the sale price (IMO)

Thread: This quarter's BMFA news
13/07/2015 17:04:14

I like the format and enjoy reading about stuff which I have no knowledge of but I am left feeling this is a magazine for a completely different hobby to the one I enjoy frown

Thread: IC MX2 ARTF
12/07/2015 15:29:05

Thanks for looking John, seems strange there's nothing there

12/07/2015 11:34:36

Hi, I'm looking for advice please:

I have the red Fagen version of this MX2 here. It was given to me in a very broken state by one of our club members. After plenty of repairs I got it flying again on a Saito 65 FS. After a bit of sorting it has just about become my favourite model. But as it is quite shabby I wanted to buy another and do the "perfect" assembly on it.

Then I found it seems difficult to find an MX2 of any kind, especially balsa ARTF with about 57" wingspan and suitable for IC - is this just my lack of surfing ability? I can only find electric and/or foam models which is not what I am looking for or larger versions.

Any similar options out there, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for any help

PS It is a fantastic flyer!

Martin

Edited By Masher on 12/07/2015 11:36:37

Thread: Demise of inovation in the UK
07/07/2015 12:28:07

Good topic for discussion Owdlad!

I would be interested in examples of where we are behind other countries though.

Innovation does seem to be rarer these days, the only immediate "new" ideas I can bring to mind are certain designers re-vamping their old products with new colour schemes or in a bigger size (Eg Mr Foss ) and then others updating old models (such as funfighters)

Fortunately we benefit from innovation in industry/aerpospace so we are seeing better technology in, say, batteries and motors. Latest radios are fantastic value for money and feature rich - but don't offer anything new (IMO)

Look forward to hear what people say on this one

Thread: Hello from Malvern
26/06/2015 09:42:11
Posted by Matt Johnstone on 26/06/2015 09:10:38:

Hi Nick

I live in Malvern and I've been to a couple of flying clubs over the years but I would recommend popping along to either the Bromyard model flying club http://www.bmfc.org.uk (my current club) or going down to Much Marcle model flying club http://muchmarcle.net/local-groups-and-activities/herefordshire-model-aero-club/ (who have a model show in september) both are very friendly clubs and have people who can instruct you and your son if needed.

Happy Flying.

Hi Nick and welcome!

I am a member of the Bromyard Model Flyers and confirm that we are a friendly bunch!

The bad news is that we are fully subscribed at the moment but it would still be worth coming to see us and chat things over. If you want to pm me, I will set something up.

Martin (BMF site here)

PS I hope to be flying this afternoon if you are about smiley

Thread: Weston Park 2015
19/06/2015 17:15:47

Anybody got any feedback on the show yet? Still undecided about going tomorrow

Thanks

Thread: Spares for older OS Four strokes
13/06/2015 11:43:18

I have used this source - all Ok

Thread: WOT 4 ic ARTF
13/06/2015 10:30:22

Well it does seem to be discontinued (Eg Kings Lynn Models) - which would be a very silly marketing decision by Ripmax on this very popular model!

Thread: Star Loc Adhesives / Glue shop / Shop for Glue = no contact
08/06/2015 11:35:41

Well they are still in business because I bought stuff off them at the Long Marston show. The chap was on his own and didn't look his normal enthusiastic self (just my opinion)

I never buy online from them having had two bad experiences in the past

Thread: Anyone going to Throckmorton?
06/06/2015 19:32:07

Great show but took me 2 hours to get out of the place! The Battle of Britain team didn't make it but the Vulcan did. Very windy, very busy and hideous traffic control.

Thread: The FrSky revolution - very worried men?
01/06/2015 14:19:25

I agree John, but I thought the Taranis case was one from the JR range? Any road up I really like the feel of it and already my much loved DX8 feels............. well..............redundant!

Edited By Masher on 01/06/2015 14:19:42

Thread: Anyone going to Throckmorton?
01/06/2015 14:15:40

No - I got mine this morning. Pre-bought tickets are because it's limited numbers so they obviously have not sold 'em all. May be due to the advertising - or lack of!

Thread: LOW level SMOKING Scuderia FERRARI Futura (multi-angle onboard cams)
01/06/2015 12:02:23

Wow! Yes that'll take some beating.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!