By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Masher

Here is a list of all the postings Masher has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3D Printers, where do you store and use yours
04/02/2017 08:13:45

Ah good idea Bob, I need to find some gardening related stuff for her

Yes very good idea to share modelling stuff here, perhaps as an extension to the 'show us your 3D models' thread.

04/02/2017 06:41:48

My wife was also surprisingly interested in seeing the first print develop (get it?) but she did comment on the noise once it had finished.

I think my only option is to do what you suggest otherwise the printer will not be used

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
04/02/2017 06:37:46

@Andy Meade

Andy, did you find the X8R holder designs or produce them yourself? Wouldn't mind nicking the files if possible please.

Thanks

Thread: 3D Printers, where do you store and use yours
04/02/2017 06:16:13

I must admit I hadn't seen the relevance of this thread but now I have a printer, I get it!

We live in a tiny cottage with loads of detached workshop/storage space. For the first week of building and setting up the printer I have used the dining table but now have to think longer term. Apart from the workshops being cold and damp, I wouldn't fancy leaving the printer unattended for hours on end, I would probably end up popping outside every 5 minutes.

Finding room in the house is difficult and then there's the noise - not that bad but I even find the Fridge/Freezer annoying sometimes.

As always, it doesn't matter how much research you do, there's always something you forgot!

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
03/02/2017 19:03:37

Thanks. Yes PLA with 'normal' settings so it took 7 hours for this 75mm high print! Next I'll try a lower quality setting. I am going to have a go at making a silicone mold from it and cast a resin version just for fun.

03/02/2017 18:28:40

Following on from the 20mm calibration cube, this is the first print with my Anet A8. 75mm high, not too bad for first off.20170203_165520.jpg

Thread: Tiger 72.
05/12/2016 18:22:50

Received my kit from Nuviation today after a very friendly email interchange. First impressions are very positive - well packed, high quality plan, wood and laser cutting.

I will be building an IC version with a Saito size yet to be decided up front.

Thread: Fuel tank size and position in Acro Wot
12/09/2016 08:11:50

If the 2 acrowot ARTF's I've had are anything to go by, use the supplied tank or similar size and mount forward as per instructions. The battery pack fits under or over the tank which, with 70 size FS, results in a good balance with no added lead. I set timer for 12 mins which is more than enough for me but tank is never empty on landing

Thread: Horus is nearly upon us...
05/09/2016 18:40:07

Changed my mind

Edited By Masher on 05/09/2016 18:50:11

Thread: Tiger Moth
15/08/2016 06:48:23

Well I finished the refurb and flew a number of times yesterday with an OS 40 FS up front. A very nice model, fits in the car in one piece and an easy flyer for a sunny Sunday afternoon - and it looks good.

06/08/2016 18:03:06

Good news and a good website. Good luck with the venture, I hope to be one of the first customers.

My 60" Tigre is looking forward to a rest!

Thread: Tiger Moth
05/08/2016 18:19:43

Thanks chaps - couple of useful bits of info which helps

05/08/2016 13:53:06

Hi

Has anyone got a manual/instructions for the now defunct Ripmax Tiger Moth 25 ARF please?

It's this one: Here

I'm renovating one and though not strictly needed, it would be nice to see what they say.

Also, does anybody have any feedback on this model?

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

26/07/2016 20:06:36

That all sounds good Jim - good luck with testing!

I have to say I really like flying this plane, having knocked up many flights in all conditions it always performs well and pretty much lands itself. I assume the larger version might even be better handling, it will be interesting to see.

26/07/2016 06:32:09

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to struggle with this 'little' detail! I ended up with many bits of card and wasn't happy with anything. In the end I went with 'less is more' and my template was a small crescent shape:

Can't wait for the plans/CNC kit - hopefully in time for the winter building season?

front 1.jpg

Thread: Spektrum Receivers.
20/07/2016 13:57:02

Hi Johan

Sorry, I'm not Phil but can't help jumping in! No you can't just add another antenna to the Tx. It's not as simple as that - they have updated the RF board to ensure the diversity is correctly implemented. This usually involves RF switching circuitry and RF impedance matching has to be taken care of.

Sorry

Thread: Which Battery.
22/06/2016 14:42:27

As part of the change to LiFe, I have started monitoring current consumption of a typical flight (out of interest more than anything)

For a 57" IC MX2 with 5 standard analogue servos, FrySky X8R Rx (which has telemetry so also Tx's) running off a 2s LiFe for 12 minutes consumes about 75mA for 'non-relaxed' aerobatic style flying.

I like to use 2100mA packs because I'm greedy so should be Ok for over 20 flights on one chargesmile p

22/06/2016 11:13:15

I have also started migrating to LiFe from NiMh and am very pleased with them. I have yet to find a disadvantage but the advantages are listed by Peter. I had a few issues with NiMh including the charger detecting false peaks and terminating - this isn't necessarily picked up by an on-board voltage monitor.

Only thing to watch is that your receiver and servos are happy working from 6.6volts which is the output from a 2s LiFe battery. (This is also true if using a 5 cell NiMh)

Thread: Signal Loss with Spektrum?
14/06/2016 10:42:51

I am not joining this discussion but KC, you cannot be allowed to get away with

"The point about failsafe is that these models crashed at full throttle while if the failsafe had been correctly set to low throttle ( as per BMFA & CAP658 rules) then in the event of signal loss the throttle would be at idle. It wasnt if they crashed at full throttle as reported. So it's not signal loss!"

I'm afraid nothing is as black & white as that! Failsafe is just one of our safety measures but don't be fooled into thinking it's perfect. It could, for example, be about...........wait for it.............timing! Do you know how Spektrum, in this case, implement their failsafe? Do you know how long it can be between updates worst case? My point is, there are many possibilities here and the real cause may never be known.

Thread: Slec apache super chipmunk
07/06/2016 09:39:38

I was interested in this kit when SLEC first had it on display at LM a few years ago. I don't know how much things have changed but when I asked them about it at the time, it was not a great story. The display model was part of the rights take over and they could tell me nothing about it at all. Maybe they have put some effort into understanding more about it by now? We all know SLEC is a good company and knows about wood & kits, but I would imagine there is one hell of a lot of background knowledge needed to reproduce it!

Edited By Masher on 07/06/2016 09:40:24

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us