By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Masher

Here is a list of all the postings Masher has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Losing new people to this hobby
30/12/2012 11:20:48

I would also like to defend the clubs! As yet another old git who has fully embraced this hobby again after about 40 years of interuptions, joining a club has been the best thing I've done. I got friendly advice and support and free 1:1 training allowing me to progress quickly to pass the A test. I now am a member of 2 clubs which opens up even more support and like minded people to play with - plus the obvious flying facilities.

I have been "bounced" by over subscribed clubs in the past and not everyone you come across is perfect - just like work or any other club/society really but you don't have to love everybody for it it to be great! I have had a lot more jobsworth's in the classic car clubs I've been in - try turning up for your first meet with a chrome stripon upside down and see what happens

Just like LHS's, I think it all depends on the people involved. As I have retired and moved house in the last year, I've been trying out my LHS's with mixed results. I have 3 within 10 miles and 1 is great, 1 is good but not really geared to RC or aero then the biggest and most well established is terrible - guess which one I'll support! I tried hard in the big one - they had about 5 staff on duty some about my age and some in short trousers and the bad shop culture had severly captured all of them - absolutely don't deserve custom. It wasn't my fault either because I observed their appauling behaviour when an elderly lady came in looking for a present for a grandson - a perfect opportunity lost because of ignorant, could't care less staff............... whoops this wasn't supposed to be a moan!

Thread: Skywriter Design
29/12/2012 11:48:36

Lindsay

This design looks great - if you want a guinea pig, I'm up for a build! - I've just got the fitting out and covering to do on my Zulu ET then was wondering what to do next!

Must be very satisfying going through the stages from initial ideas, design, build and first flights - something I hope to do one day but currently I have to start at the printed plan stage.

Look forward to following this one, Zulu has provided me with hours of fun and it is'nt even airborne yet

Martin

Thread: Next Plane... Max Thrust Riot or Wot-4-Foam E
24/12/2012 08:41:40

Hi Dom

I have been learning this year and got to the stage where I can usually get home with a plane in one piece having learnt enough to pass my A test. I think this is only a very small step in this challenging hobby.

I tried it alone with Hobbyzone Champ first (simple RET model) then got bored and went to a club and got training on WOT Trainer (IC) and ST Model Discovery (Electric which I did my test on). Both of these were great for training on.

Somewhere along the line I got a WOT 4 FoamE and it is my favourite at the moment. I have smashed it a few times (not as careful as you) but it is "easy" to repair as long as you're not too fussy about looks. I find the WOT 4 can be used at the start of a session as slow trainer to get the feel of the conditions then open her up as the confidence builds (usually I go one step too far here). At the other end of the scale, you will see expert flyers (see youtube) doing amazing things with this same model.

It's cheap (£100 at present), very quick to assemble, small enough to bung in the car in one piece, 10min flights on 3S 2200's and great fun...........go for it!

Martin

Thread: What do you take to the field.
16/12/2012 13:02:21

For electric flying, it's minimalist for me. Today it was WOT 4 FoamE fully aembled, Tx and 4 batts but I forgot a very important item - my £2 timer which I usually velcro to the Tx. Being an improver, I find it hard to judge elapsed time and don't want to risk running out of juice so I set 10mins on the timer and feel "safe"

Thread: Hobbyking Foamie Hurricane
10/12/2012 16:00:20

David

This is good and bad! You've got it working but didn't get to the actual problem - was it just poor connection or something more serious?? Suggest you really inspect and "fiddle" with the connectors to make sure there isn't an underlying problem, otherwise it will come backto bite you!

Martin ( 35 years of engineering has taught me that it will come back to haunt you unless corrected at source!)

07/12/2012 15:12:37

I got mine very quickly from HK but have to wait until Xmas to "receive" it!

As an improver, I would be very grateful for any advice, views on how this plane flies so that I can hopefully keep it in one piece when I finally get hold of it!

Thanks

Thread: Contacting Hobby King
06/12/2012 16:12:04

Thanks - Yes I had got that far but I think there is just a one liner from Wayne on flying - I wondered if there was more?

06/12/2012 11:39:35

I was lured by the attraction of the Hurricane so placed a first time oder with HK UK on Tuesday pm and the plane is in my hands 11.00am Thursday (well nearly - my wife has confiscated it for father Xmas!)

I found the HK site very good, the service excellent and I will certainly go back for more!

I would love to know how this plane flies. Having just passed my A, any tips would be appreciated. (I'm sure this must already have been discussed but I find I have a lot more trouble with the search tool on this site than I do with anywhere else

Thanks

Thread: Friday free stuff
23/11/2012 08:29:18

Yes please!

Martin

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!