By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Masher

Here is a list of all the postings Masher has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Glue for Ply Doublers?
23/12/2015 16:43:27

I am building a Ruhig Tigre and used PVA to glue doublers to the balsa fuselage. I put a flat piece of wood plus heavy weight on top over night.

All seems fine. No warping and well stuck!

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
18/12/2015 09:31:54

I already use Paul as a "typical" modeller whose collection makes mine look woefully inadequate - for some reason though she won't have any of it!

17/12/2015 08:17:11

Nice models Paul - but what are you going to fly on the 7th day?

Thread: Starloc Five Star Adhesives
15/12/2015 13:33:30

Very interesting! Despite having issues with previous orders, I do like their products. At the weekend I decided to do a bulk buy of adhesives and looked on their website - but basically the message is "don't come here". The actual message suggests they hope to be up and running by 2nd week of Dec but there is no update or customer information so I have bought from another supplier, not worth the risk.

Thread: Tiger 72.
12/12/2015 08:41:29

Moving along very nicely!

Cyparis is a light & flexible hardwood (quote SLEC) and is mentioned here and on many other forums

Thread: vw camper
11/12/2015 12:38:04

Well done Tony, I will certainly follow with interest as a VW camper is on my list of wants.

(I camped next to you at Greenacres with the Moggy Van)

09/12/2015 09:59:47

I didn't see the mistake but I was wishing I had made and fitted a servo tray as part of the fuse building. This would have been easier to fit and helped squaring things up. I'm envious of that CNC kit of parts!

08/12/2015 18:22:08

Thanks. I'm using a mixture of cyno and aliphatic and enjoying my first go at laminating. The back end is now drying so will be interesting to see the results tomorrow. I may cheat on the wing tips though!

08/12/2015 16:16:29

Yes looking very good so far.

I'm about 30% through building the standard size Tigre at the moment so am looking forward to seeing how the big one turns out. I will certainly be interested in building it if plan/parts are made available.

I assume you are using Cyno Jim? Just wandering how the charring affects the bond because it does look particularly bad.

Patiently waiting for Stevo's build to progress too.

Thread: Dust extractor
07/12/2015 07:45:22

For "standard" wood chips and dust, the range of dust extractors from Axminster tools are fine. They also do a good range of blast gates and fittings. There are a range of sizes/quality to suit your workshop size/budget.

These work fine for sawdust but ................. these are not specifically fine dust collectors. I have become sensitised to all the modelling adhesives and balsa dust so am looking at fine dust collectors. These are actually air filtration systems and claim to take all the fine particles out of the air such that that fine layer of dust on the bench in the mornings is no more. They can also provide fume extraction with a charcoal filter.

It would be nice to know if anyone uses these?

Thread: CNC cut ply motor mount needed
23/11/2015 07:41:23

Baz - pm me your address and I'll make you one (not CNC)

Thread: Kindle Longevity
22/11/2015 11:27:27

Ours only lasted about 2 years - frozen display common problem. I threw it and went for a tablet instead.

Thread: General hobby
20/11/2015 11:04:57

Sorry to hear of your troubles Alan, at least you have been compensated - nearly.

Just to rub it in, my MX-2 flies very well. The kit was one of the best to put together with very few of the normal ARTF work-arounds being needed.

Shame about the question mark over GH because I would certainly like more kits from them - but only if I get an experience like mine rather than yours.

Thread: RCM&E Myhobbystore Service
13/11/2015 16:35:29

To show that MHS can be as good as anyone: I ordered the Ruhig Tigre plans Wednesday evening and received them early Friday morning. Seems good to me

12/11/2015 09:57:51

Me too! I have been following Stevo's build and was already inspired by Percy's comments - it's always good to get such good feedback on prospective models.

I will build the standard size with IC power. I have ordered the plan from MHS and have just spoken to Belair kits. There's good news and not so good news - the kit is available and looks comprehensive but it is now £110. This is probably a bit rich for me so I'll wait to see the plan before making the decision on make/buy the parts.

Lovely looking model and nice to hear that it will also do the aeros.

Thread: Covering - I hate it!!!
11/11/2015 16:40:36

Should have used heat shrink covering devil

09/11/2015 10:22:59

I hate covering too and get bored then rush it. There are tons of videos on Youtube, this example has a quarter of a million views so perhaps lots of us have issue with covering!

And this avoids the Norah Battey bit

And then this bloke is very watchable

Edited By Masher on 09/11/2015 10:47:15

Thread: Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite
20/10/2015 12:05:11

Oh go on then, here's mine with an Irvine 53. Been flying it last couple a weeks after a lay off - excellent flyer and great fun:

gangster 1.jpg

I have replaced cowl also - supplied one is shown - this is the only thing wrong with the kit I think

Edited By Masher on 20/10/2015 12:07:20

Thread: Flair company stop to produce?
09/10/2015 18:08:12

Vintage

Flair appear to be still around, try here

Albert is still listed under the 'pilots' section

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
09/10/2015 12:04:35

I would also leave them as they are. I up-issued all my pre-EU receivers and transmitter to latest EU spec about 6 months ago with no issues. I have since continued to buy latest spec receivers and again, had no issues.

Personally I am watching the latest discussions closely to see if anything definite develops and only then would I consider re-loading the pre-EU firmware.

As always, good pre-flight checks for correct antenna placement (Rx & Tx) and a few range checks will help confirm all is good.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!