By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Turbycat

Here is a list of all the postings Turbycat has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric VS. Petrol/Fuel Engines
05/08/2012 01:54:10

Personally I like having an IC engine in my planes. I do have a couple of small electrics for a quick fly. These run on the cheap/ popular 3s 2200mah size battery and I have enough batteries to give me up to an hour flying. My IC stuff is mainly 90 2 stroke size upwards to 30cc petrol stuff. The electrics are fine for sticking in the car and having a quick 1/2 hour on the way back from work, but if I've got a day off I'll fly all day and find IC better for this.

I can see electric getting more popular as noise issues continually seem to arise and they are generally quiter. Also battery tech seems to be promising ever more performance so it will definately be an interesting area to watch.

Andy

Thread: Vulcan XH558 to Duxford!
05/08/2012 00:50:53

Had the "misfortune" to spend a week at RAF Waddington during the 80's when I was in the air cadets wink. Loved being able to sit out by the runway and watch the Vulcans go.

Andy

Thread: Alturn Servos
04/08/2012 22:36:32

Got mine from the servo shop. Very quick service. From the initial use I'd have no problems using them in a petrol. In fact If I'd known about them a few weeks before I'd have stuck them in my 1/4 scale Taylorcraft (26cc petrol) instead of the more expensive and noisier Hitec's I used! At 17 quid a throw they've got to be worth trying.

Andy

04/08/2012 19:12:15

Lee pointed me in the direction of these a couple of weeks ago. I got them from the servo shop. I installed them a couple of days ago and they seem to be fine. I have them fitted to the elevators and rudder of my Seagull Yak 54. It's only on a 90 2 stroke at the moment but a Super Tigre G2300 is going in Monday. The servos look well made and come nicely packed and best of all a good price. I'm sure if they can stand up to what Lee does with a plane they'll be fine for my mediocre efforts.

Andy

Thread: Summer's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?
02/08/2012 23:42:23

Had a good couple of hours at the field today

02/08/12

02/08/12 (2)

just the usual planes. Bit too breezey for the Taylorcraft so didn't fly that one!

Now got the servos upgraded in the Yak and waiting for a Super Tigre 2300 for the front of the Yak. Now that will be fun time!!

Andy

Thread: what type of music/singers helps you build your models?
01/08/2012 19:22:08

Hmm depends what mood I'm in. Mainly Absolute Classic Rock but sometimes Pink Floyd has to be put on.

Andy

Thread: Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)
30/07/2012 16:24:09

The OS has gone up to nearly 100quid now. Too much for a secondhand motor. Looks like the ST2300 is going to get the nodlaugh.

Cheers for the advice on spraying. I did my motorbike once with metalflake. Bright blue flake on a black base! That'll be something for the future tho' I do like the look of a smoked canopy.

30/07/2012 14:43:11

Been all over it with the cyano!! I did put the tail struts on toolaugh. I've got some of those Alturn servos you mentiioned on order. 16.99 from the servoshop. What paint did you use to spray the canopy with? I guess you do it from the inside. If I don't get the OS 160 Fx I'm bidding on I'll be off to get the Super Tigrecheeky

29/07/2012 18:31:47

Cheers Lee,

It's gonna need a bigger engine!!cheeky It'll loop, stall turn nicely, roll well and just about hold knife edge, but I have to use full power all the time. I think a 100 to 120 2 stroke would make it great sports aero flyer but to get the serious manouvers will need something like the st2300.

Love flying it and very impressed with Seagull kits. Shame the pilot fell apart!

Andy

Edited By Turbycat on 29/07/2012 18:32:34

29/07/2012 15:26:26

Got out again this morning. Nice and sunny here in Herts. Took the Wot, Yak 54 and Taylorcraft. The Yak definately needs more power. See how my bids do on ebay later. The Taylorcraft was the surprise of the daylaugh. Its got an Evolution 26cc up front so it goes well. I was surprised at how agile it was. Considering it has a 85" wingspan and relatively small ailerons the roll rate was quite quick. It does lovely scale aeros and is crying out for a smoke system. More money to save up!

we dodged a couple of showers and caught the edge of one, but then the dark clouds were gathering up wind with lots of rain falling out of them. So we packed up before the monsoon hit!

Andy

Thread: Show Us Your WOT 4s!
28/07/2012 21:43:33

Here's mine. Artf with a Jen 57 and 13 x 6 up front,

Goes well. Thinking about enlarging elevator at the moment!

Andy

Thread: Sub standard pilots!
28/07/2012 21:30:02

Hey CS,

it's not a bad day if you take all all your models home in the same number of pieces that they arrived in!

Andy

28/07/2012 21:25:44

A couple of parecetomol and an elastoplast and he'll be fine!! It's only a flesh woundwink.

Andy

28/07/2012 21:22:10

Finally got out this week. Been on nights for last 8 days so missed all the nice weather. Took the Wot 4, of course, and decided to take the Seagull Yak 54 to maiden. A very good day, no-one else at the field for about an hour and then only one more turned up.

Found the Yak to be nose heavy so have repositioned the battery pack for the next few flights. I need a more powerful motor for it but that will have to wait for funding approval from the boss!

Andy

Edited By Turbycat on 28/07/2012 21:22:27

28/07/2012 21:13:31

Well I bit the bullet and maidened the Yak today. I was very impressed with the general handling (only on low rates at the moment). I found that the plane flew as tho' nose heavy. So I've moved the battery pack back behind the servos and will give it another go tomorrow. The performance with an OS 91 Fx 2 stroke was adequate. It flew well but did lack any sort of punch in the vertical plane. A more powerful engine would give a better performance so I guess if I don't get the OS 160 a Super Tigre 2300 will definately be on the order books. I found it a very nice plane to fly, very precise and a joy to operate.

Yak maiden

Andy

Thread: Sub standard pilots!
28/07/2012 21:03:28

I have to report the loss of a pilot today. This sadly occured during the second flight of my new Seagull Yak 54.

Ooops

Didn't think I'd pulled that many G's!!

Andy

Thread: More advice on Wot 4 motor?
28/07/2012 05:25:42

one of our members has got a 80 size 4 stroke in the front of a Wot4 . I've got a Jen 57 2 stroke in mine running a 13 x 6. That goes well cheeky. No idea about the electrickery stuff. Tried it with a Ripmax Akrobat and a couple of ST foamies but the only electric plane I have left is my Mini Panic, and I'm not sure what set up I've got in that any more apart from the fact it uses 3 cell batteries!!

Andy

Thread: The Olympics
27/07/2012 21:56:00

Not me! It's on in the background at work (my collegue wants to watch it). I'm just wondering why they are announcing everything in French first. Last time I looked I thought London was still in the UK!

Andy

27/07/2012 21:45:18

I've missed out on all the good weather this week. Been on nights for the last 8 dayssad Thankfully this is the last one!!

Hopefully will be out tomorow afternoon to maiden my Yak 54 and do silly things with my Wot 4.

Andy

Thread: The Olympics
27/07/2012 21:42:04

If I wasn't at work tonight I'd raise a glass of ale with you Malcolmthumbs up

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us