By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Turbycat

Here is a list of all the postings Turbycat has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clevis pin failure
19/12/2012 19:38:43

Well, I used to fly a full size Turbulent and I can't recall the rudder causing undue pitching. I would, however, use rudder combined with opposite aileron to create a controlled sideslip, on approach, if i was a tad high. Just like I was taught to do in gliders.

Andy

Thread: Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?
18/12/2012 16:24:46

Had a good day today. Even had company during the week for once. Three of us out in total. One of the guys liked my little delta so much he's going to build one as well!!

Andy

Thread: Do you like to fly?
16/12/2012 22:10:03

Getting on an airliner is like getting on a bus or a train. It is a means to an end, a neccesary evil! Now what i consider flying is getting in glider being towed up or winched and then using nature to keep you aloft. Be it thermals or slope or wave lift. I hate airliners, I have around 600 hours on light aircraft and over 500 launches of one sort or another gliding. Not a great deal by any standards but I enjoyed gliding the most.

Andy

Thread: Clevis pin failure
16/12/2012 19:49:38

I've had quite few clevises loose their pins. I had 3 fail over time on my WOT4 XL. All lost the pin in flight. I've had one recently on my Wot 4 (that was the rudder!) . I've had a few go in other planes too. Mind you my planes get a lot of hammer and plenty of hours flying on them. I've not yet lost a model through one failing but had a few interesting landings as a result of the failure.

Andy

Thread: What do you take to the field.
16/12/2012 19:44:45

Just about everything I can fit in a mondeo estate. Tx, normally 3 planes, flight box, spare fuel, chair, mat, spares box (used more by mates than me!!!), windsock, wellies (winter), sunglasses, hat or baseball cap depending on the season, field charger and battery.

If I'm just going for a quick fix it'll be 1 plane, tx, flight box, windsock and chair.

Andy

Thread: New Shed
16/12/2012 19:11:23

Sorry Olly can't do lifting. It's against my religion!!

16/12/2012 19:03:37

Just had a very good day today at the strip. Had a flight with my Tiger Moth but then it got a bit gusty so that got derigged. Then I ended up flying my Delta and Wot 4. The little Delta is fast becoming my favourite little plane to fly. I might make a bigger one and a couple of flying wing models too!! Could be good time to experiment with depron and edfs too!

Andy

Thread: Electric flyers, READ THIS THREAD
15/12/2012 19:17:56

I like my ic and I like my electric. If I've only got a spare hour I'll take the leccy stuff if I've got all day I'll take everything from my .25 ic delta to my 1/4 scale petrol stuff and still find room to stick in a leccy model. i think each have there merits. Personally if I was to go all electric I would like at least another couple of jumps in battery endurance and charging technology.

However, I think I love messing around with ic too much to give it up completely.

Andy

Thread: Seagull Sea Fury, 2 stroke a crime?
14/12/2012 17:24:03

Now there's a thought. Looking for a new home for my St 2300 since the demise of my Yak a couple of months agolaugh. The St isn't too noisey either.

Andy

Thread: New Shed
14/12/2012 17:15:51

Well done Olly! While your at it you can come over and renew the roof on my garage. Just went in this afternoon and found my Taylorcraft would be better suited to floats as it's sat in a nice big puddle!!

Andy

14/12/2012 17:11:31

At the field last Tuesday. Bit chilly but a beautiful day!

11/12/12

11/12/12

Had a good 3 hours. No-one else turned up, must have been the -2 temp putting them off!!

Andy

Thread: Holy Frankincense and Myrrh
12/12/2012 19:58:05

Looks like some one made a packet selling smoke fluid!!

Andy

Thread: Newbie buys plane crashes first flight
08/12/2012 20:35:34

Makes you wonder who sold it to him?

Andy

03/12/2012 19:10:28

Hi BBC,

The delta is not to bad orientation wise. The Purple stood out quite well. Unfortunately it ripped off after 5 flightsblush. Now replaced by super sticky bright red! The under side has bright yellow bands running front to rear. I was very surprised at how easy it was to fly after getting it trimmed out. I think it may be a tad nose heavy but it flies ok so I'm not going to mess with it.

Get building you know you want one!!wink

Andy

Thread: What is your favourite type of model???
03/12/2012 19:03:39

I'll fly anything. But, my favourite type is pre WW2 Biplanes. I have a 26cc petrol Nieuport 28 and a large Perkins Tiger Moth. I would love a Fokker Triplane and an SE 5a at some point in the future. A close second is a hankering for 1930's multi engine jobs.

Andy

03/12/2012 12:58:22

Went to the strip yesterday. It was about -1 when I arrived and had only got up to +2 when I left 3 hours later. The weather was excellent tho'. I even managed to maiden my own built delta.

Delta 362

I have built it in a tailwheel configuration as it suits our strip better. It flew beautifully. Needed a lot of up trim on the maiden as I wasn't sure how to set the elevons. So I got it down safely and adjusted the linkages. After the first go I just couldn't stop flying it. It weighs in at 1.7kg and flies well on an old Thunder Tiger GP25 I had hanging around in the shed. It struggles on the ground as our grass is very long and the strip is quite bumpy. Once in the air it goes really well.

I'm already thinking that a Jen 37 and tuned pipe might be the way to go with it but it doesn't hang around on the GP25.

Andy

Edited By Turbycat on 03/12/2012 12:59:51

Thread: Anybody else see "Dust Up"?
30/11/2012 16:18:36

Gonna be recording that. Forgot it was on first time round.

Andy

Thread: Feeling sheepish (and sore)
30/11/2012 07:27:38

I remember being in A & E for a relatively minor (1" ) gash on the back of my hand. Happened when I slipped whilst working at sheet metal workshop. A guy came in with an angle grinder wound down his arm and across his hand. Barely any blood from the wound. My little cut was leaking claret like mad!!

Thread: A-10 Tankbuster.....
30/11/2012 07:18:42

I used to work at RAF Donna Nook bombing range. It was great to watch these come belting down the beach straffing the targets. That cannon is awsome to see going off. Would not want to be in front of one thats for sure!! I seem to recall them struggling to bomb targets on a nice friendly beach whilst having all the time in world to line up on target (mind you they were there for the practice). Then the RAF Harriers would come screaming in on a first run attack and hit everything!!

Andy

Thread: Planning the Shed - What do I want in it?
26/11/2012 22:26:57

Beer fridge. Or maybe not! Could explain some of the banana shapes I have built in the past. Ok if you wanna fly left hand circuits all the time!

I'm in the same boat myself at the moment Olly. Going to convert my garage to a full workshop. The building bug seems to have bitten! Trouble I have got is persuading the boss that I need to put a shed up for all the garden tools/ furniture and bikes so I can have a nice clear garage to put work benches and power tools in!

Andy

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!