By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for reg shaw

Here is a list of all the postings reg shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Printing whole threads off the forum.
05/06/2018 19:35:44

Hi technical peeps, is there a way of printing a whole build thread as a document? I'm sure I saw one printed out that just contained the thread and none of the adverting and banners. Is it possible? I want a paper copy of my Bertie Bassett Flying Flea build as it contains some details and pictures that I don't have any more.

Many thanks, Ian.

Thread: Tiger Moth Manufacturer
26/05/2018 10:51:05

I reckon it is a repaired Premier Tiger. The fuselage has the same 'hump' to it in that the cabane stuttery is mounted far too high. The top longeron on the Tiger is straight with the struts mounted to it. The Premier Moths struts are mounted well above the longeron and gives a hump back appearance to the side view. Nice project for a refurb!!

Ian.

Thread: Show us your workshop!
10/03/2018 10:58:27

Some great subjects in there Roo!

Ian.

10/03/2018 10:48:01

Never noticed this topic, let alone its clone!! Here's a few pics of my den, wriggly tin, railway workshop style.

dscf4595.jpg

dscf4732.jpg

dscf4837.jpg

dscf4873.jpg

dscf4878.jpg

dscf4887.jpg

dscf5047.jpg

dscf5010.jpg

dscf5345.jpg

shedliness.jpg

dscf5749.jpg

Thread: Retrospective shed thread
09/03/2018 07:47:42

Hi onetenor, somewhere in there is a silver Spitfire in Dutch markings, but the wings stood on end in American markings are from the P47 Thunderbolt on the bench. Silver bundles on the left, which picture? I'm well chuffed how the 'in the roof' storage can be utilised, the trusses are superb at absorbing airframes!! Long term storage at the top as they are hardest to get at, though in reality anything can be got at quite easily.

Airframes in here at the moment are 1/2 scale Flea and Stits Skybaby - 2/5 scale Sukhoi Su26 - 1/3 scale Pup, Albatros C.III, J3 Cub, Fournier RF4, Tipsy Nipper - 1/4 scale Wellington, Yak3, P47 Thunderbolt, 2 x BP Defiants, Zero, Zlin 326 Trener, Republic Seabee, Albatros DVa - 1/5 scale Hurricane - 1/7 scale Junkers 52 - 1/8 scale Handley Page HP42, plus a few rubber and indoor scale stuff hanging about.

Ian.

Thread: David Vaughan
08/03/2018 22:15:04

One of the most inspiration scale modellers ever. Memories of his models and the published plans will live on forever. Many thanks David. RIP to a truly great man and modeller.

Ian.

08/03/2018 22:09:20

Here's a few pics to show that no matter what shed you have, it always gets filled to capacity and then some! After ages of not being used for its designed purpose, it now is back to being a toy aeroplane shed, a hopefully busy one at that! Gone (for now at least) are the various narrowboat restoration and window frame making bits of gubbins that has taken up precious space and time for the last few months and for the first time in what must be four years I have a useable shed and more importantly the enthusiasm to use it! On a sadder note though, we lost one of my modelling heros recently, RIP David Vaughan, a truly great bloke and modeller. The memories of his modelas and plans will live with me forever, many thanks David. An inspirational man and modeller.

Ian.

dscf6063.jpg

shedliness4.jpg

shedliness3.jpg

shedliness2.jpg

shedliness1.jpg

shedliness.jpg

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
12/04/2017 10:45:01

I'd also recommend the use of flaps. They make landings so much easier since you'll have a far more settled approach, you'll need some power on and that will give far more control authority. Sure you don't have to use them, but you'll need far more space to get the model down if you don't. My 110 needs lots of space with no flap. Movement on mine is about 50 degrees, I use it all on landing and sometimes about 15 on take off. Mine has a bit of down elevator mixed in from half flap and more to achieve the approach I want. Theres no need to have any gaps with a bottom hinged flap, unless you for some reason want flapperons perhaps! Neat work on the wing choppery DD, scary moment hacking up a perfectly good wing huh!

Ian.

11/04/2017 19:48:53

What about bottom hinging the flaps? That way there'd be no gap when the flaps are up and only a gap when the flaps are down. Massive gaps always looks a bit ugly!

Ian.

31/03/2017 13:51:30

Glynn, is there any legs in the idea of selling paint masks as well as vinyl stickers since I imagine some folk would want to take the finishing to the next stage, especially since the models themselves seem to be such good candidates. You've done the hardwork on the sizing etc so it seems a winner to offer the masks as well.

Ian.

Thread: Wings - the tv series
31/03/2017 13:45:47

I know one of the 'models' is still in existence. We rebuilt the Pup a few years ago and its now on display at Stow Maries WWI Aerodrome in Chelmsford, Essex. They also have the models from Aces High, the Eindekker from the opening dogfight and crash I restored a few more years ago.

db1.jpg

dscf3185.jpg

dscf3186.jpg

dscf3195.jpg

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
31/03/2017 10:50:39

I love the attention to detail with the enclosed, and scale rudder linkage set up. One of my favourite models. I have a Bf110D, here's a vid of it flying and me embarrassing myself by flicking the retracts whilst taxiing back! In my defence (not really!!) I had moved the switches for the bombs and drop tanks to somewhere more convenient, but forgot where as its been a while since it flew last!! Credit to Chris Barlow for the vidyes

Watching with great interest!!

Ian.

Edited By reg shaw on 31/03/2017 10:51:48

Thread: Jiant Jabberwock refurb
31/03/2017 10:38:04

Blimey, this took some finding!

A small update for those still waiting, I've got the engine sorted. I was going to use a Zenoah 22, the spare one from my HP42, but I was a bit doubtful that it'd be enough for off water use so I've chosen to use a 3W 28cc petrol single instead. It has perhaps nearly twice the grunt of the 1980's 22 for roughly the same weight. I've found some suitable spats but more importantly I've found the inside of the new workshop again so can perhaps continue!

I have also 'found' two of my old models, a 1/4 Tiger Moth and a 1/3 Pup, both from different ends of the country. The tiger was built in about 1993 ish when I was at uni and the Pup about 10 years ago when we started the Dawn Patrol team. I've fettled the Pup a bit and that is now flyable again, the Tiger needs a bit more work as it has had years of a glow fourstroke chucking its goo everywhere. I plan on remotoring that with a new NGH 38 fourstroke petrol that has just been delivered.

Ian.

30/03/2017 22:24:24

More shedliness I'm afraid!! Got the hinges and gates made and completed, and the big job of bitumen-ing the corrugated tins out of the way. Its turned a new looking shed into something that looks like its been there for years, perfect!! Now hopefully I 'll get some modelling done and get some of those unfinished build / refurb threads done!

Ian.

dscf5749.jpg

dscf5750.jpg

dscf5747.jpg

dscf5746.jpg

dscf5745.jpg

Thread: NGH 38cc Petrol Four Stroke - now at JE
13/03/2017 22:10:12

Thanks for the info chaps, very much appreciated and a decision is made, I'm having one!! I seem to be collecting projects again at the moment and the 1/4 scale Pilot Kit built Tiger Moth this engine is destined for is another. I met my old Tiger again last week, I built it whilst at uni in the winter of 1992, sold it on soon afterwards to raise funds for more beer!! I'd start a thread on its refurb but fear another unfinished thread might annoy more folk!

Thanks again chaps. How are they on fuel, what size tanks are you all using? I'd like long flight times.

Ian.

Thread: Dave Tappin
12/03/2017 22:54:50

Dave was one of the most knowledgable blokes when it came to WWI and WWII aeroplanes and the men that flew them, plus his other love was the Golden Era Air Racers for which he was one of the most learned chaps I know. He'll be sadly missed. RIP David Tappin Esq.

Ian.

Thread: NGH 38cc Petrol Four Stroke - now at JE
12/03/2017 22:48:45

Bob, are you still happy enough with the 38? I'm thinking of one for the Jabberwock and a 1/4 Tiger Moth, whadda you think??

Ian.

Thread: Can You Name ALL These WW 2 Aircraft?
09/02/2017 13:56:02

I got 47 too, though the Peashooter / A5M one is questionable to say the least! The other I got wrong was a Grumman Attacker or summat. The Yak 9 title is wrong too, it surely is a 3.

Ian.

05/02/2017 08:07:30
Posted by Paul Marsh on 05/02/2017 07:35:05:

I like your railway gates. Also I notice your plot is next to a railway line. Your shed could be mistaken for a old railway siding storage.

That was the whole point of the shed Paul. The house is an old North Staffordshire Railway house and station, we have seen old plans of the house which shows a siding and workshops on site. It would have been far too convenient to build a 'normal shed' but it would look like a normal shed and not something that might have just been refurbished. Cheers mate, see you soon at Congleton perhaps!

Ian.

04/02/2017 21:30:27

What type / size have you gone for Paul?

Ian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues