By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stu knowles

Here is a list of all the postings stu knowles has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: In search of a LARGE canopy
01/07/2020 09:18:06

Thanks for looking ED. Yes the link does look promising although on looking a little deeper the web site was last updated in 2013. I've sent an e-mail bit I'm not hopeful.

regards

stu k

30/06/2020 13:42:52

Ooooooooooh!! Jesus, you could be a life saver! Email sent.

Not seen this kit range before, some interesting models in there

Thank you for responding

stu k

29/06/2020 21:44:02

Thanks ED much appreciated

29/06/2020 17:42:53

Hi kc. The Dennis Tapsfield plan was at 1/4 scale. This one is 1/3rd which takes it up to 78" span and Zenoah 62 power

At one time, 3rd Pitts were not uncommon. Glens Models did a 1/3 Cap 232 and I see quite a few large scale aerobats on YouTube but so far no luck in sourcing a spare canopy.

I have tried all the usual outlets, Sarik, Vortex, SLEC etc, they have nothing, no answer at Glens Models, are they still in business??

29/06/2020 14:44:32

Hello to All

I n best back to front traditions, I find that I have built a model to an advanced stage and now am struggling to find a suitable canopy to fit.

The model is a 1/3 scale example of the Bede BD8

bd-8_3d.jpg

My version was test flown last Friday and is currently at this stage

img_9639a.jpgI have made my own cowl by the lost foam method and thought that a 1/3 Pitts Special or Cap 232 style canopy would not be too hard to track down.

Not so! Sarik, Vortex, Fighteraces and Motors and Rotors have all struck a blank so I am here to throw myself at the mercy of the collective to ask, -

Has anyone got a large clear canopy lurking in the deep recess' of the shed. Sizes are 245 wide 145 high at the rear turtle deck and 350 plus mm long.

I could form a foam plug and do a non see through epoxy/glass 'cover' and paint it black or silver but the cockpit forms such a visual part of the model I really want to find a clear canopy if at all possible.

Anyone got anything or could give me a lead on a likely supplier??

regards

stu k

Thread: Boulton & Paul Defiant
26/05/2020 18:44:35

I can't imagine what the noise was like when the Defiant's turret was turned ahead and the four muzzles were just behind the pilots ears!

Thread: Peter Russell's Models. Anybody know what happened to them?
21/05/2020 22:37:54

I seem to remember that the numbers were consecutive numbers of the models that he had built, I have a vague memory of it being mentioned in his column

Stu K OBE 'off beat enthusiast'

Thread: dave smith models
17/05/2020 10:27:12

If there's only one pipe between the two tanks, that will not work because the air can't escape.

If the fill pipe was into the bottom tank and the a vent pipe in the top tank, that would fill from the bottom up..

Its not a system that I have seen before but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Is the small tank behind the firewall to accommodate a retract unit??

Thread: Use of SBUS/PPM converters in a wing.
11/05/2020 13:48:15

I have pulled out the wing that has an Sbus converter on the two flaps and L/Light switch. I plugged it into the fus and switched on and Lo! one flap servo, a HiTec 645 dead as a dodo.

Getting them out means cutting into the wing covering but at least I now know that it isn't a servo problem. Without reading this I would have pulled the dead one out and replaced it with another of the same type.

Lesson learned. Thanks for bringing this up

Thread: Four Engine electric setup
11/05/2020 13:21:06

Have you seen the Short Solent in the plan range from Ivan Pettigrew??

Thread: Sopwith Pup refurb
11/05/2020 13:17:13

Have you covered it with Diatex / Ceconite?? Heat shrink microlight fabric and dope?

If so I would love to know what you did and what you think of it as a material for larger models

thanks

stu k

Thread: The big question, WHEN
11/05/2020 11:38:42

There's a lot to be said for staying at home, undoubtedly the safest option but the problem is that the virus is here for ever or until there's a vaccine. Are you willing to stay at home for the next 6 months? 1 year? Longer?

We have to find a way to live with the situation as it is and that means expanding into doing everything that can be done safely. Everything that we do outside the home carries a risk but standing in a field carries much less than travelling on a bus or going to the supermarket.

Leisure activity is less 'necessary' than getting the country back to work but I believe that learning to live with the virus is something that we all need to learn to do.

I have no issue with people doing this at their own rate. If you don't want to go out now that's fine but others may take a different view. So long as there is no close contact and social distancing is maintained.

We also need to think about the risks from touching things in public places. Hand rails and door handles. Wearing gloves doesn't help (as I see it) because the virus could be transferred to your gloves, then clothing and so on until its back to skin contact.

I don't think it will be easy but I'm for expanding the envelope as much as possible.

10/05/2020 23:00:45

Maybe its just me but I have no problem with what Boris has said. He has said 'It depends' He has made it crystal clear that social distancing is still required and will be reinforced by fines for those who do not comply.

For the rest, so long as anyone/everyone obeys the 2m rule, you can consider doing anything that can be done. Go to work, Return to leisure or sport.

Catering, Hospitality, Pubs Theatres too difficult to maintain 2m distancing. Public Transport the same.

Everyone has the opportunity to take responsibility for their health and that of their family. We should each take the decision that we feel comfortable with and not be asking other people to tell us' what shall I do now?' If you don't understand the set up and what's required after the past 8 weeks and the constant barrage of news - Have you been hiding under the bed?

I think that flying is permissible after Wednesday so long as Social Distancing is maintained. Strictly maintained, no playing at it. If I were the BMFA, I would be making no pronouncements on whether we should fly or not. It depends. It depends of what each feels comfortable with and how each site works. It's not a collective responsibility, its individual, although if anyone sees another not complying with the rules, they need to be put straight as they risk us all.

If we collectively balls it up and the infection rate goes up, then Boris will clamp down on what we are allowed to do.

Do, or don't, its up to you. We all know the score

Thread: Use of SBUS/PPM converters in a wing.
07/05/2020 14:07:17

Thanks for the info Chris, I will go study that thread.

This potential problem is some thing that has completely passed me by.

07/05/2020 11:14:56

Chris, Ref the bit about the FrSky sbus unit, that's the first that I have heard that digi servos are needed. Is there a link to somewhere that I can read up about this?

I have just finished a model which uses a single unit in the wing to drive 2 x flap servos and a L/light switch. They are not digital servos so I'd like to know what the score is now rather than after picking up the pieces.

regards

sk

Thread: Solarlac Thinners
05/05/2020 13:00:49

I have always used cellulose thinner. I found that it needed to be quite thin or you get a weird 'candy floss' effect when spraying

Best bought by the 5 litre tin at around £12

Thread: Approaching a farmer to ask for a flying field
04/05/2020 11:27:09

For a club base:-

Depending on the land, an annual rent of £120 to £150 an acre would be a going rate for agricultural purposes. Three of four acres would make a good patch.

Overflying the surrounding fields is usually catered for by bottle of a good malt each year

Next big problem, how are you going to cut it??

As an individual, its unlikely that anything that you could reasonably pay will be worth his while so you need to find a friend who will put up with you.

Thread: 1/9th Halifax U/C
29/04/2020 09:47:40

Proper works of art!

I wouldn't worry about the weight. It's a large model so wil be able to carry some and nothing will hasten its damage more than an unreliable undercarriage.

I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

Thread: Warning X8R RX - do not use with CDI on IC powered 'planes
21/04/2020 22:21:58

5G causes corona virus, the earth is flat and X8R rx's are unsafe. I believe everything I read on t'internet

Thread: Tim Hoopers Cygnet
15/04/2020 22:32:18

Really nice building skill on show here. Thanks for posting, I loom forward to seeing it develop

stu k

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!