By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stu knowles

Here is a list of all the postings stu knowles has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bracing wires ....help needed please
16/06/2018 10:17:26

I have seen one model where the builder had sown a small button in between the wires to separate them, presumably to prevent or minimise RF interference. Where the wires are not in direct contact, maybe a short length or dowel, attached with sowing thread and then dabbed with cyno?

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
16/06/2018 10:04:46

Speaking for I, I never for one moment doubted that a practical and workable solution to these issues would be found by the BMFA / LMA and others from the modelling associations who work on our behalf. Its not over yet but I remain completely confident that all matters will be resolved.

I've looked in on this thread several times and noted the comments of the Doubting Thomas' Largely the same people grinding the same worn out axes

Thread: Where do you stand when taking off?
08/06/2018 15:05:21

In scale comps, Aren't they standing on the short length of light fishing line tied to the tailwheel? something about the model must begin the take off run from stationary. I'm sure that a well known and very experienced scale modeller told me this.

Not that anyone would cheat in this way for real.

Thread: Honda Field.
14/05/2018 10:18:00

Tricky one, there should be more that a land owner / occupier can do. Clamping on Private Land no longer allowed although it is lawful to lock the gate or barrier and agree a fee to reopen same.

How did it get in? Intentional damage to the lock is Criminal Damage and a Police matter. (I bet the car owner will say that the gate was open so he/she popped in for a look around) I think that I might have pulled it out of the way into a corner of the field and then taken the wheels off. Leave the driver a note to contact you to arrange their return for an agreed sum equal to the damage to lock / grass surface and your reasonable efforts to remove the obstruction so that field activities could resume.

There would be a strong possibility that you would be left with the car so don't go over the top and there's always scrap value it the driver doesn't take it away.

I know that 30-40 years ago, Barnsley Council (probably others) would have the Police prosecute drivers caught on their parks and playing fields for causing criminal damage to the grass surface. I'm not sure that you would get the same response from the Police today.

Thread: Mowing
14/05/2018 09:58:09

I have one, 42". the sweeper wheels drive the rotating brush. It can only be used at slow speed, much the same as cutting speed. For your purpose it wouldn't do any harm but I'm not sure that it would be a cure for what you are trying to do either. Its the bugbear of all rotary mowers

Thread: Fuel tank setup
12/05/2018 21:46:46

The one way valve is the only thing that you don't need.

Better with a clip to apply after the flight to stop fuel running back into the exhaust during transport.(IMHO)

Thread: Dead Lipo remedy?
12/05/2018 12:04:38

Referring back to an earlier thread, if the battery has a CE marker, it will be fine.

Thread: Old paint not drying.
29/04/2018 17:13:46

Spectrum is an enamel, thinned with turps and glacially slow drying. Solarlac thins with cellulose thinner and drys very quickly although takes a week or twonto gain fuel resistance.

Thread: Data protection regs
19/04/2018 21:03:10

even written info needs to be kept secure,

​Accepted, I suppose that my real point was do we need to keep so much info on our members, names, DoB, address and phone numbers. Is anything more than 'Name - Paid' needed for club records?

19/04/2018 15:22:46

I look after my local group. I record the names of those who have paid into a book (PAPER not NET). I don't record any other information.

We have a FB page for general chit chat an keeping people informed. Some people join FB but some don't.

ON that basis, I'm not sure that these new regs will impact on our group beyond a statement that that is all that we keep

Thread: Military paint supplier.
13/04/2018 16:51:00

Well, there you are. The Internet in action.

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
13/04/2018 16:48:58

£750! I though that the one for sale at £400 was enough... though I have spent much of my life in Yorkshire. Deep pockets / short arms.

Thread: Military paint supplier.
13/04/2018 13:46:16

If you are into building your own - or refinishing ARTFs so that it looks different from the herd, it is worth investing in your own spray kit. Compressor will cost £80 + and a small car touch up gun less than £20.

Cellulose £20 a litre but available in 0.5 litre tins. Cheap grade thinner £10 / 5 litre. Celly is petrol proof but needs 2k clear for glow (available in matt / satin / gloss) Buy from a local car paint factors. unlimited colours and gloss/matt. Celly is fast drying and easy to use.

Start up costs are high but aerosol cans are the spawn of the devil, so prone to blockage if not used in one go. and expensive.

Having your own kit and a few primary colours opens up the world of original finishes plus weathering / shading. Buying cheap paints from random sources will soon find your new finish pickling or washing off / lifting due to incompatibility issues.

Maybe not the answer that you hoped for and fully understand if you choose to try cans but just add up the cost before you begin and weigh up how far that would get you along the road to your own kit.

regards

Stu K (owner of every possible T shirt relating to paint disasters) except perhaps letting overspray blow downwind onto the neighbours car

Thread: Your Transmitter History
07/04/2018 18:34:37

Skyleader Clubman 4. - 1971

Futaba M series 27meg AM - converted to FM

Futaba M series 35meg.

Futaba FF8.

Multiplex Royal Pro 9 (35meg)

Multiplex Royal Pro 12 / FrSky hack module. - 2010

FrSky Horus X12s - 2017

Only the Skyleader was less than rock solid throughout

Thread: Moles!
07/04/2018 08:54:23

If you don't 'deal' with them the problem never goes away and not only are there mole hills to contend with but the runs collapse over time leaving holes in the surface.

Trapping moles is a bit of an art. I have had the most success with pincer type traps, 'Talpex' brand best of all.

As with all things, beware of cheap knock offs of proper brands.

If you want any further advice send a pm - some people are sensitive about killing moles - usually people who don't have them

Thread: Richard Osborn-Brooks
05/04/2018 20:41:15

"the stick wasn't simply a walking stick, but a sword stick" and therein lies the problem. An offensive weapon, illegally carried in a public place. Self Defence/Reasonable Force is a defence available to all but requires the observance of some parameters, such as not using and illegal weapon and not using excessive force when the felon is fleeing (Tony Martin scoring double top in that respect)

Edited By stu knowles on 05/04/2018 20:42:22

Thread: Making a spinner by "spinning"
04/04/2018 22:27:12

Impressive finished results. Congratulations on your skill

Thread: 1/3 scale Gladiator plans
01/04/2018 22:15:32

Derek at the UK Plans site is very adept and scale up/ down from existing plans and pretty unbeatable on price

Thread: Nice Cartoon
27/03/2018 13:35:42

I read that negative G is instant disaster for an autogyro. I know from model sizes that up elevator tends to increase the speed of the rotor so maybe forward stick tends to slow the rotor, killing of what bit of lift that you have along with any unfortunate human on board sad

Only a guess though

Someone will be along who knows I'm sure

Thread: crash/emotions
27/03/2018 13:28:46

It happens to everyone sooner or later. If its a bad one I collect all the bits and park it in the corner of the shed until the pain subsides. I left a Fokker DR1 over a year and then one sunny day dragged it out and started jigsawing all the bits together. I had it flying again in less than a week and its still flying a few years on.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues