By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stu knowles

Here is a list of all the postings stu knowles has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: S6R & S8R Receivers
07/03/2018 08:55:03

Thanks Mike, I'll try both

06/03/2018 20:47:39

Hello Mike, I've downloaded the Sportset , after extracting the programme and attempting to run the programme I get a box with the following ' The code execution cannot proceed because the QtCore4.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem' Does that man anything to you?

Just when I thought that the S8R could throw anything more at me, when I've put it back into the test model tonight the channel 5 aileron servo wouldn't move. I have checked on the TX monitor that channel 5 is active, the servo is fine and re run the LUA and checked and unchecked the Channel 5 and 6 boxes. No immediate results.

A bit short on time but cross checking with the other RX shows that its the same. I'm pretty sure that it was all working before QM was activated but I need to double check everything when I have more time to make sure that its not dumb thumbs somewhere.

regards

stu k

06/03/2018 11:39:08

That was my conclusion but I can't think of any good reason for it being there. Most users will inhibit Ch12 after running the Self Calibration process to ensure that it can't be accidentally initiated when airborne. Even if you didn't do that, what's the point of it when Self Level is there to be used anyway? It gives me he feeling that the Software Writer Geek did not listen to practical Users.

Does your Sportset programme work for all Transmitters? Horus X12 for example? I came across it in my research but rightly or wrongly didn't investigate further thinking that staying with the 'official' FrSky stuff would be a better option. Probably wrong but at the time I didn't want to open another can or worms.

I have come across several references to the missing 'bottom boxes' but as yet, not seen anyone offer a solution. As you say though, it will be something trivial, it just needs finding!

Thanks for the contribution its much appreciated.

regards,

stu k

06/03/2018 08:02:52

Just to recap on the issues that I've had to wade through. the computer programme used to set up the RX doesn't work on my laptop / win10, I don't see the check boxes at the bottom of the screen. This has been raised in a thread on this forum but I don't think anyone found a solution beyond keep trying different computers until you find one that works.

The STK device and Bluetooth app is very clunky and hard to use. The app hasn't kept pace with the software upgrades and can't cope with the Quick Mode.

The LUA script works well and is (IMHO) far and away the best method of setting up these receivers. On loading up the latest firmware, the RX defaults to Quick Mode. QM is the simplified version with gyro stabilisation and Self Level mode, Knife Edge and Hover are inhibited.

On mine, the check box was checked to suggest QM was enabled but the software was not working in that mode. By unchecking, power cycling, rechecking the box and so one, QM can be activated and confirmation will be given by the blue LED flashing for three secs on powering up the RX.

One can then proceed to installing the RX and following the Self Calibration, which is described above.

It may not sound much but it took quite a few hours and much researching to clear the fog. Once you know how its supposed to work, its much easier to identify what's wrong but until recently, the FrSky manual was very poor and the set up pretty complicated.

Mike, Do you know what the differences are between the Panic mode on channel 12 and Self Level? There is scant mention even in the new manual. I struggle to see the relevance of this feature.

regards

Stu K

Thread: Vac forming
05/03/2018 20:03:24

I found that corner creasing was minimised by raising the former off the Vac bed an inch or so

Thread: S6R & S8R Receivers
05/03/2018 20:00:13

If you have happened across this thread because you are struggling to get your S6/8R receiver to work properly, I have spent a couple of days reviewing all of the info, manuals etc and seem to have finally got them sorted.

Until FrSky change the systems again, I feel that I know the in's and out's of these and how to set them up. If you are having problems with yours, shout up, I might be able to help.

regards,

stu k

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
02/03/2018 13:11:53

Its a really good flyer with no bad habits. For a twin, I feel that its the near perfect layout, benign wing planform and a rudder behind each engine. For its size, mine is quite a lightweight. I use 2 x Zenoah 26cc bit there is an American build thread where 2 x 62cc are used. I don't know the weight of that one.

110ba.jpg

02/03/2018 07:17:01

118" span - 35lbs Don Smith plan built 110

Thread: Building Jim Newberrys Puddleduck
01/03/2018 08:48:43

TLAR - That looks about right wink

Thread: Super Star
26/02/2018 21:15:37

The finish looks amazing, what did you use?? I have always lusted after a Pete Russell Striker after seeing on a very early issue of RCM&E (when I was doing battle with a Super 60)

Thread: Connie are you to much for me?
26/02/2018 21:11:33

A great build, it will fly as good as it looks, brilliant!

Thread: Unrecognisable ARTFs - new paint jobs!
19/02/2018 18:35:37

looks very nice, What paint did you use?

Thread: 4.8 v or 6 v receiver battery
10/02/2018 20:26:37

My 4 and 5 cell low discharge AA packs, mainly Vapextec work OK and show a healthy voltage on most checkers. When checked with the Futaba battery checker which checks under a 1 amp load a battery showing 5.1 volt - no load drops to 3.3 under load.

When I eventually decided that it wasn't duff checker I stopped using AA size cells altogether.

Sub C cells are fine or I use LiFe depending on the space available and the need for ballast.

On the other hand, I am sure that there are hundreds of not thousands of models being flown with AA Eneloops.

You pay your money and makes your choice in this game.

Thread: Hitec anyone else thinking of jumping ship
24/01/2018 19:17:34

Another vote for Fr Sky, even if the TX range did not convince you, the quality, capability and price of the Receivers make it a no brainer.

Thread: Open tx Horus
07/01/2018 21:47:16

I will do when I get to it Rob, I need a couple of clear hours to sit down and walk it through. 2.2.1 has options for switching telemetry on and off and an updated LUA for the S8R. to be fair, the existing LUA does work on the S8R and it is possible to switch off telemetry using the jumpers when binding.

Like you I'm finding the Horus OTX everything that I expected it would be and just think that getting my head around sorting out the firmware updates for both TX and RX is part of the OTX experience. I would be happy if it was a more settled and simple process.

I would find out why Companion isn't working for you because its very useful and necessary to get the best out of OTX. The easiest place to set up a new model, then upoad. (which IS a very easy click button process) Go fly, adjust at the field and then download and back up. I have done it direct into the TX buts its a slower, less clear process.

I have what looks to be a decent quality USB cable and so far it hasn't given me any trouble. Time will tell if its up to the updating process.

regards,

stu

07/01/2018 09:32:50

Thanks Chris, I'm reading the notes from the original install and will no doubt have a go later

06/01/2018 22:46:34

Hmm, not so straightforward then. I have added a number of model images and sounds that I don't want to loose.

To be honest, this is the worst aspect of FRsky / OTX. I dislike dickin' about with stuff that I don't fully understand. It would be a good development for OTX if they could make this a simple click process. When the Horus was new, I still had my old TX and it didn't matter how long it took to change over the operating system. If I spam this up, or even worse, loose the model settings I'm done flying until its sorted. (long time)

I'm going to do a lot more looking before embarking on this. I need a clear 'spell it out' set of instructions for the whole process before I begin. Thanks Attilo and Andy for taking the trouble to reply, It's much appreciated.

regards,

stu k

06/01/2018 16:10:52

Hi All,

I have my Horus running OTX 2.2.0. In the process of converting from the original operating system I did manage to make it completely inert for a few days before getting it up and running. Very scary at the time!

My first thought was not to mess with it again and when 2.2.1 came along I left it alone. Now the trouble is, those tricky people at OTX keep coming up with clever ideas so, sooner or later you do become convinced that an upgrade is the right thing to do. This will be the first time that I have done an update. No1 priority is not to loose the dozen or so models that I have already programmed in.

I've had a look around the web, there's quite a bit on changing from FOS to OTX but less on just updating to the latest version. Has anyone done this and can point me in the right direction and make me aware of the pitfalls

Thanks

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
29/12/2017 21:41:14

Looking good! Great choice of prototype

Thread: French scale from 1999
26/12/2017 22:22:38

I found it more surprising how many were built and flown by Brit modellers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us