By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Codename-John

Here is a list of all the postings Codename-John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: another new one
11/02/2011 21:26:08
hey been a lurker for a little while so im just introducing myself, im a member of Wrexham m.a.c. since late last year, i used to fly years ago with an mfa yamamoto and a few precedent kits as a boy but didnt get very far, and started up again last year, re-learning with a seagull boomerang to do my A test with.
I enjoy building "proper" kits too and ive just finished building a galaxy scorpion for a follow on to the boomerang after lots more practice,and just to keep me occupied have a top flite 1/7th p-51d kit just started but thats gonna take all year probly
Thread: Electrical fuse selection
11/02/2011 20:52:19
hamish its more or less anywhere you might encounter water see
for more detail, regarding the freezer, it would have to be its own circuit, with the cable either not buried less than 50mm from the surface of the wall or with an earthed mechanical protection, such as the conduit mentioned. then a dedicated labelled socket just for that, or better a fused spur with the freezer permanently connected, things like smoke detectors as well dont have to be protected thats why on the better new boards theyre split 2+5+5 or so, 2 non rcd ways and 2 sets of 5 protected ways, you could still use a "16th edition" board if you were using surface mounted trunking or conduits and just have socket and special location circuits protected
11/02/2011 16:27:07
under the 17th ed regs any sockets for use by ordinary persons in a house must have rcd protection, and any other circuit must have rcd protection if it is in a "special location" ie, kitchen, bathroom or outside,
then, in england and wales, under part p of the building regulations any new additional circuits or alterations to existing circuits in a special location must be tested and certified in accordance with the 17th ed regs, and reported to the local building authority, which costs around £180 for you to do or £1.50 for a registered electrician on a competant person scheme,
terence it sounds like you have an earth system called a TT system with a spike in the ground outside, and the earth fault path would be too high to certify unless an rcd was added, and to get around this sometimes the MEB put a 100mA rcd in to protect the supply, domestic circuits need a 30mA so its worth checking to see if its correct
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

 No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!