By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Codename-John

Here is a list of all the postings Codename-John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FAA redefining aeromodelling
15/07/2014 18:46:26

Since when have been at war with Asia ?

15/07/2014 17:09:43

Why is it only and immediately people of, quote, "Asian Ancestry" seen as a terrorist threat ?

Do you not remember the IRA and any other instance of terrorism not involving a muslim etc any more or has television and news media propagandised you so much anybody with slightly darker skin and maybe facial hair is an imminent threat, this is the 2nd thread in a week where straight as terrorism is mentioned its the Muslims we have to suspect.

I get numerous people interested when i`m out flying, of all sorts of origin, I don't jump to conclusions about any of them, look at the shows, How many different origins of people do you see in the crowds watching, Do you straight away think they`re here to see which models are best for fitting bombs to etc ?

Perhaps your attitudes towards the people that came to you for help are the very reason you didn't see them at your club again. Colin states above that nobody would let them fly immediately because of insurance, my club has a 3 visit rule that the BMFA insurance covers someone for 3 visits before they join when they`re assisted by a member, surely its not just my club the BMFA does this for, if it was a little kid with his mum that turned up with all the gear would you act the same, be suspicious and turn him away being so worried you had to call the police if you never saw him again too ?

Thread: Hobbyking delivery
13/07/2014 15:46:22
Posted by Spice Cat on 13/07/2014 11:58:53:

Received this today from HK regarding the lack of delivery of my order

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I'll be more than happy to assist you. Upon checking your order number ************, it was shipped via International (Registered) Air Mail last 19/05/2014 and the transit time is within 14-39 business days which means the holidays and weekends are not included. In addition, the tracking number of your parcel is *************MY which you may track by using this link **LINK**. As I tracked your parcel, it's shown to your tracking information that it sent to London last 26 May 2014.

We highly suggest to kindly contact your local post office or customs and check your parcel. It might be there waiting for you to claim. If you there will be no information from them, please contact us again and we will request to open an investigation to locate your parcel.

Very (un)helpful. I'll let you know what happens.

As its in UK, go to Parcel Forces track and trace page, input your tracking number and Robert`s your mothers brother

Thread: Recommendations for 4S 3300mah Lipo
12/07/2014 10:42:18

I will highly recommend Gens Ace too, I have a few of each of a few different sizes from 1800 2s in my lads rc car, upto a 3300 4s and every one has been faultless

Thread: Thank you Horizon Hobby
05/07/2014 22:14:29
Posted by avtur on 05/07/2014 21:24:35:
Posted by Codename-John on 05/07/2014 19:30:25:

The thing that concerns me about Horizons service for Spektrum is with things like receivers, they always seem to follow the same script as RX failed, was sent off to Horizon who subsequently find nothing wrong, yet replace said RX with a brand new one "just in case"

My question is how can this be profitable, if they replace every ( according to their test ) perfectly fine RX, surely they are going to be loosing money, I mean say for instance if I came around to test your electrics in your house, it all tested fine, safe and within regulations then proceeded to tell you I`ll rewire it just in case, you`d think I was havin a laugh !

Or are they possibly finding faults yet deliberately saying there was no fault with the original RX as to not make themselves in someway liable for any incidents it may have caused, or look bad for selling a faulty product ?

In terms of commercial value this is probably the easiest and least expensive way to deal with the problem, in reality they are probably covering many end user problems but it is easier to replace like with like...

With a unit value of £20 - £50 (at retail) there simply isn't enough profit in that to justify a full and comprehensive test and breakdown. It's far easier to replace and move on ...

I know its nit-picking but surely if that is the case then they shouldn't be telling people "we`ve tested it and there was no fault" they should say "ok if you`re not happy and suspect something is wrong, we will replace it with another just in case"

05/07/2014 21:12:38
Posted by Cuban8 on 05/07/2014 20:57:02:

If a sixty quid (retail, so more like fifteen or twenty quid to HH!) receiver is returned under warranty, then I don't blame them chucking it in the bin and sending out a new one - just not cost effective to have a technician plug it all together and spend twenty or thirty minutes testing such a low value item, whether it was duff or not.

What if that £15 / £20 item to them was in a few £thousand worth or thousand hour creation of yours that went in due to radio problems, would you want to know then if it was that which was at fault, or would you be pleased with their £15 / £20 replacement ?

05/07/2014 19:30:25

The thing that concerns me about Horizons service for Spektrum is with things like receivers, they always seem to follow the same script as RX failed, was sent off to Horizon who subsequently find nothing wrong, yet replace said RX with a brand new one "just in case"

My question is how can this be profitable, if they replace every ( according to their test ) perfectly fine RX, surely they are going to be loosing money, I mean say for instance if I came around to test your electrics in your house, it all tested fine, safe and within regulations then proceeded to tell you I`ll rewire it just in case, you`d think I was havin a laugh !

Or are they possibly finding faults yet deliberately saying there was no fault with the original RX as to not make themselves in someway liable for any incidents it may have caused, or look bad for selling a faulty product ?

Thread: Hobby King Tracking
03/07/2014 17:31:17
Posted by Erfolg on 03/07/2014 13:57:46:

Where is the top left?

Its on the left at the top, opposite bottom right cheeky

Seriously though, I doubt you are using IE8 as its old now, I think the current is IE11 ?

Just go into your account, above where it says what you pasted it says CHECK in blue, click that, and then it will show all your orders, there will be a blue code next to your order, sometimes clicking that takes you to tracking site where you copy and paste the blue code into, also I often copy and paste it into parcel force`s track and trace website which tells me if its got here yet etc

Thread: Twitter
02/07/2014 23:10:15
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/07/2014 23:02:14:
Posted by Spikey on 01/07/2014 13:10:56:

Seeing as how I have never felt the need to have any doing with social media,

Isn't it funny! We don't class our own forum, that we know so well and feel at home in, as "social media" It is of course, but we don't see it that way! I'm the same.smile

BEB

I hope you lot don't have any plans for "social experiments" on our moods lol

Thread: WingNWheels, NorthWeald
24/06/2014 19:00:49

I went to the North Weald museum ( just a little house really on the side of the road ) a few weeks ago when I went to Duxford for the weekend, Didn't know they had a model Airshow there but I thought I`d heard the name somewhere before

Thread: p47 nose art
22/06/2014 09:36:54

Theres a few places depending on what you want / how much you want to spend etc - ModelMarkings is one and the owner is a member of this forum, Flightline graphics is another but expect to wait a while as he`s always busy, Callie-graphics is American but a good choice with ready made graphic kits so theyre fast and Pro mark is another but expensive

Thread: oh dear ... lost it ...
20/06/2014 22:39:20

surely it would have been better to purposely crash it safely into the ground than just let it float off uncontrolled ? doesn't need to be making headway to go downwards

Thread: Hobbyking virgin ...
20/06/2014 19:33:08
Posted by avtur on 20/06/2014 18:04:45:

OK so I am the OP for this thread .... as at today lunchtime nothing delivered but nothing expected.

For the 48 hour serice I paid for the earliest I would expect is tomorrow (saturday) morning but I won't be at home until at least monday next week l ...will be interested to see what happens ...

Parcel Farce don't deliver saturdays

Thread: Home DIY help
17/06/2014 18:00:12

if possible could you remove and later refix a tile close to where the fixing points are ? When I did mine which is as you describe, I cut a small hole so I could just get my hand through in the pb nearish to where I wanted to mount it and fed in some 6 inch wooden blocks to screw into and spread the load then simply tiled over the hole, shower screens are quite heavy, get knocked and leant on etc and probably will pull any sort of rawl plug fixing out

Thread: Weston Park 2014 chat
16/06/2014 18:37:27

According to DB the 10 year old 3D flying a H9 Carden Extra did, so maybe ?

16/06/2014 18:09:53
Posted by Colin Bernard on 16/06/2014 14:23:29:

One thing that struck me is that these shows bring in a lot of people who don't know aeromodelling and maybe wish to take it up as a result, so why isn't there a slot showing how people can get into the hobby - maybe demonstrating someone learning on a buddy lead on a basic trainer, then going solo, then on to an aerobatic trainer etc.with some information being given out about each,

I am sure that a lot of people may get put off having the impression that we all fly planes worth thousands not knowing that a couple of hundred would get you into the air.

Would maybe make a good lunchtime slot?

I doubt they could get insurance to cover it as B test is required to fly at such shows which kind of rules out learners lol

The BMFA did have their stand with any information required and simulators etc too though which seemed quite busy over the weekend

Thread: What's flying over your house
11/06/2014 17:11:16
Posted by Robin Kearney on 11/06/2014 11:58:04:

Isn't that pretty rare for B2's to be deployed anywhere from their home base? Are they here for an airshow perhaps? Although I'd not expect two of them for an airshow appearance.

r

Nato are doing more "War Games" in the Baltics, 2nd time in as many months.

The American military industrial complex wont be making as much money from selling weapons seen as America is meant to be pulling out of Afghanistan, they need an excuse to ramp up fear and get countries spending money on arms to protect them from some faux boogeyman, the coldwar were their glory years, so cold war 2.0 would be in their best interests

Thread: Corsair Plans
10/06/2014 17:11:08

Top Flite do a 60 size Corsair too, Im halfway through one, the wings are made in 3 sections with the centre gull wing section being all interlocking parts etc so its easier to build straight, theres a good build thread on RCScalebuilder with extra scale modifications too if you are that way inclined

Thread: Building ? or Flying? during the Blooming Football!!
09/06/2014 22:40:00

Football the sport of real men Erfolg ?

Most of them prima donnas roll around on the floor and cry if you so much as tap them in the ankle

Thread: Weston Park Model Show Bring & Buy
09/06/2014 19:43:24

I don't want to "Jinx" anything but on XC Weather, the weather for Telford this weekend looks crackin

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!