By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for PaulH

Here is a list of all the postings PaulH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: December 2013 issue
12/11/2013 23:11:47

Graham, I always start with your wise words, but was delighted to see you were back to the SE 5 and your soldering effort encouraged me to plug in my iron and get on with the half dozen or so solder jobs that I've been putting off.

Paul.

Thread: Which trainer?
12/11/2013 11:59:12

Hi Mervyn,

Hobby King have the connectoor you need between the battery with the XT 60 plug and your ESC. They come in packs of 3. The link should take you to the right page on the global warehouse and you can then find it in the UK one.

**LINK**

Paul.

Thread: Saying hi
12/11/2013 11:37:15

Welcome Dan.

I retaught myself, after being out of the hobby for some years, using an Easy Star, it was virtually indestructable and years later still has a place in my hanger for easy lazy days of flying. The Bixler is as Frank says, a more cost effective clone and flies as well. Beb has told you all you need to know, so I'd say, go get yourselves a couple of Bixlers. And enjoy.

Paul.

Thread: December 2013 issue
12/11/2013 11:18:33

Ah, excellent. Thanks Andrew, at least I can rest assured that there will still be something left to read, when the hardcopy arrives. cheeky

Paul.

12/11/2013 05:47:11

Oops!

Being an Australian subscriber my copy won't arrive for a week or so. Seeing it was out in the UK, I hurried to do a quick look through on-line and to my surprise when I read Graham's editorial I thought i'd seen it before. Sure enough, the on-line version of December magazine has the November editorial.

What about the print copy have you lucky lot checked it out and is it the same?

Paul.

Thread: blank chit chat
11/11/2013 10:20:42

BEB,

I don't think this is exclusive to Phil, I'm having the same problem. It just won't load beyond the top heading.

No cat to kick and I wan't to preserve my computers. teeth

Thread: The big one...the first time
11/11/2013 05:34:04

Thanks for the video and greetings from New South Wales 575 kms north of Sydney. Here's the AN at the Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome, Northern New South Wales in January this year.

p1015640.jpg

Thread: Hello
11/11/2013 05:01:48

Welcome Monique,

I'm full of admiration for your wonderful building skills. Very beautiful models.

Thread: The big one...the first time
09/11/2013 23:13:35

Josip,

Have the Antanov company traditionally built oversize aircraft ? We have an old AN 2 biplane at the local heritage airfield and I was told that it is the worlds largest single engined bipe. Funnily to me it has that same slightly awkward look that the AN 225 has.

09/11/2013 10:15:19

My God that's gigantic, but I'm guessing that even something that size won't be attempting to navigate through a typhoon. So you'll probably have it there for a few more days.

Edited By PaulH on 09/11/2013 10:16:36

Thread: Programmable, 19th Century, 6000-piece automaton
08/11/2013 08:00:01

I was rivetted to the telly by this programme, a real modellers paradise. Maybe you could try for a semi-programmable pilot figure, a barnstormer that waved to the crowds on takeoff perhaps. smile

Thread: Disaster
08/11/2013 07:31:15

I'm guessing savedbytheground spends twenty minutes de-mousing his glove box, before he even drives to somewhere to fly. And for those in the know, we remember what happened tp Mr. Swellanbach.

Thread: What wattage soldering iron ???
06/11/2013 02:20:46

Tesco direct have a cheap Chinese one, which I've seen in Australia and know it does work, a mate has one. On the other hand you can get a Weller for around £35, they are known to be very reliable and also carry a great variety of soldering tips, I'd probably say value for money, but still a bit expensive. Interestly doing a quick Google search in the UK came up with just a fraction of the choice we have here in Australia, especially in relation for good reasonably priced tools from China and the rest of Asia.

06/11/2013 02:03:47

Bill, Don't waste your money on a 40 watt, you'll end up with the same problem. Bigger wattage is better, try for a 60, or 100 watt iron. Buy a fixed heat iron. Cheap variable heat irons rarely give a constant temperature, while most medium priced single heat irons, have a very quick temperature recovery when using them for extended times, or making multiple subsequent joins.

06/11/2013 01:37:29

Bill, the real secret is rapid heating of the solder, without having to hold the iron on the joint for ages thus melting the plastic. My 60 watt is okay, but the 100watt single temperature iron I have, really makes all my jobs easy, from soldering plugs to making up landing gear. Having a couple of different shaped tips, say one pointed and one chisel, makes it perfect for any task.

Thread: Pioneering modellers
05/11/2013 14:16:37

Yes, You're right kc

Some of his rants were wonderfully eccentric and I was always amused at his attacks on the BBC, which I worked for, from 1960. He particularly loathed what he thought was the plummy BBC accent, though I think he would have complained of the multiple regional accents of today's programmes.

Here's a nice quote from Vintage Radio World,

"Always outspoken, especially when using the pseudonym 'Thermion', FJ could give vent to the things that irked him in life and it is on the Thermion page (On Your Wavelength, each month in Practical Wireless until his death brought an end to them), that we can glean some insight into the man behind the initials. A stickler for accuracy, he suffered fools not at all and disliked Americanisms and the BBC penchant for affectation in pronunciation. Typical of his mistrust of 'novelty', he denigrated the long-playing record upon its arrival when 'Thermion' expressed considerable reservations and stated the need for record decks to be set up with the aid of a spirit level if the record was to stand any chance of being tracked without the pick-up skating! He preferred 78 rpm discs (at the time, though doubtless he would have been persuaded otherwise in later years).

05/11/2013 04:06:50

Goodness!

I built my first valve amplifier from a circuit published in Practical Wireless around 1952 and it worked. My deck was a Garrad and the speakers were Wharfdale I think in home made boxes. I had forgotten that Camm was the editor, but I was an avid reader of the magazine.

Paul.

Thread: Dodgy Deans
01/11/2013 12:36:26

Thanks Tony,

I too have been having problems with Deans Ultra, the genuine ones. Not a connection problem, I've used them for years and only had a few duff ones. My problem is the difficulty in soldering heavy duty wires from 4c and 6c batteries, there really isn't much room and I tend to get it too hot in the process using a 50 watt iron which can make the pins misalign slightly. Further more after having an rtf fitted with EC5's I find my Deans a real fiddle to get apart. So I'm following your suggestion and have begun changing my fleet over.

Paul.

Thread: Pioneering modellers
30/10/2013 13:47:32

David,

Here's a further snippet about Mr. Akhurst. It seems that in 1922 he was holding the Wakefield Cup for ransom. Naughty boy. laugh

May 11, 1922, page 276 – The Position of the K.M.A.A. Cups.

CORRESPONDENCE

THE POSITION OF THE K.M.A.A. CUPS

After a somewhat protracted correspondence and an assiduous endeavour to ensure that the cups donated by such eminent gentlemen as Sir Chas. Wakefield, Messrs. A. W. Gamage, Grahame-White, E. C. Trollope, Percival Marshall (to mention but a few of those who presented cups and trophies to the now defunct K.M.A.A.) were put to the use for which they were intended, it would appear that at present they are in the custody of Mr. W. H. Akehurst (the Secretary of the K.M.A.A.), who claims that, before handing them over, a debt of a few pounds owing to him shall be paid.

I submit that it is high time those who gave cups were made cognisant of this pass. If a secretary of an association sees fit to settle accounts out of his own pocket, is it a legal position that he should hold the association’s cups to ransom ? I suggest that the donors concerned should appoint some other body to be responsible for them.

Until this is done there seems no possibility of model aeronautical enthusiasts taking advantage of what has already been given to further interest in this subject.

The present position cannot go on indefinitely.

F. J. CAMM

30/10/2013 13:19:37

David, Thanks so much for putting up the scans, great fun and it set me off on some more research. It seems Mr Clarke was quite the entrepeneur. From this clipping from the Flight Archives Nov 1 1917, he not only sold plans and materials, but kits and believe it or not, RTF's. Not foamies though. cheeky

img_20131030_0003a.jpg

Mind you the RTF price of 1 to 25 shillings made for a very expensive rubber powered free flight job.

For anyone who wants to read the whole page, here is the link.

**LINK**

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!