By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: K5682 - Martyn's Fury
23/11/2020 21:40:23

Thanks Colin

This one is deemed to be a learning exercise. Trying to get it as right as possible (for my limited skillset). A lot of rework is slowing me right down but there is no rush..

Edited By Martyn K on 23/11/2020 21:40:45

23/11/2020 20:54:23

A bit more progress. All a bit slow because these bits are slow going.

Managed to sort out the technique for making my stitches. Using the frame shown earlier, add a layer of klingfilm then a layer of lightweight tissue. Tissue to stretched tight using masking tape to secure. The thread is wrapped around the pins at the side of the frame then tacked into place on the tissue using paste (clear paper glue from hobbycraft) and allowed to dry. Takes about 24 hours at room temperature. Next bit came from experience. One coat of dope over the thread and tissue or some of the 'stitches' will fall off during the trim process. This kept it all nice and secure. Then simply trim the strips and dope them down. Still a slow process but much quicker than doing the stitches individually.

SO the stitches went down (top surface only) - these were about 4mm wide, equating to 1" stitches on the full size. When dry I stripped some lightweight polyester tissue rib rapes - about 6mm wide and doped these on top. At this point, the whole lot is pretty invisible. No photos.

A coat of grey primer identified a few places where the tapes hadn't stuck down so dope was rubbed in with the fingertip until all the bubbles disappeared.

24 hours later a thin coat of silver applied. I am using 'proper' cellulose paint from my air touch up gun, applied fairly dry. No runs at all.

The result looked like this.

fb_img_1606157692875.jpg

The paint is a bit patchy as expected - its a thin coat - but the stitches are a bit prominent.

fb_img_1606157706046.jpg

The lighting is set so it shows how bad it is. The tailplane was actually a lot worse mainly because I made a real hash of the rib tapes so I have stripped the covering off and redone the top surface of the tailplane. One thing different though, I have applied the stitched strip with the stitched downwards and the tissue on top. Hoping that the extra layer of tissue will help lose the obvious un-scale like bump.

Underneath, the rib tapes look quite nice

fb_img_1606157702988.jpg

Very subtle. Pleased with those..

What I think the problem is that the tissue isn't shrinking enough over the stitch, causing a ridge. Polyester tissue is heat shrinkable so I am going to go over them with an iron in the next day or so and try and nip them up a bit. If not the covering will come off again and I'll try again with a thinner thread but I don't think the thickness of the thread is a problem.

The fuselage has also had a bit of work done. The very smooth hatches immediately behind the cockpit are apparently painted fabric covered ply. I decided to use lith with the hatched cut out and then sanded down on the two short edges so there is a small gap. All sanded and roughened then painted. These appear to have come out quite well.

fb_img_1606157699669.jpg

Quite pleased with that. Its starting to look like it may fly one day

More to come in dribs and drabs.

Martyn

Thread: Colin’s Spanish Fury
23/11/2020 18:43:34

I made mine with wire bent using the plan and wire bound the struts but didn't solder. I didn't use the jig. I measured directly from the plan and triangulated the wing to fuselage rear to make sure it was straight. Tack soldered to hold it steady then soldered up after the wing halves had been removed.

Thread: Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
19/11/2020 09:51:00

Loved watching this as its developed. Amazing and glad it was a great success

Brilliant

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 19/11/2020 09:51:15

Thread: Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.
16/11/2020 16:36:27

Duplicate post. Sorry

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 16/11/2020 16:37:03

16/11/2020 16:35:58

Thanks Steve. I spotted that and initial distorted it as well. However, I checked the fan spun OK and it was binding slightly. Pulling the former apart a little seemed to solve it

Its easily done and thanks for the warning

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 16/11/2020 16:37:36

Thread: Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang
16/11/2020 13:17:39

Is it too late to get added to the kit list? - for some reason, I was in the original discussion but totally missed this thread..

Regards

Martyn

Thread: Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.
14/11/2020 19:40:15

Thanks Steve

I couldn't see how it could be wedged. I thought I may be missing a bit. I'll get the glue out later. Probably just glue the sides

14/11/2020 10:08:30

Hi all

I have just started my Folland Gnat. I am not sure how the fan is secured. Can someone let me know what they have done please?

Thanks

Martyn

01/11/2020 12:05:18
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 31/10/2020 21:54:51:

What the hell is doculam and why would you wish to double cover a model? I have never been able to get my head round this.

Hi Martin

Doculam is a very tough but lightweight film. Provides the toughness.

Tissue on the top to give the correct texture

Martyn

31/10/2020 20:20:43

Fury update.

It's been a funny old week. I decided that I wasn't happy with the modelspan covering over the doculam. Just too many imperfections so I ripped it all off all surfaces except the fus, fin, ailerons and underneath the upper centre section where it was a total sod to cover.. No damage to the doculam underneath, the tissue just peeled off.

I ordered some polyester tissue from Mike Woodhouse at free flight supplies which arrived very promptly. Its heat shrinkable not water shrinkable so I wouldn't run into the same problem if the tissue clinging to the doculam as it shrunk causing micro creases.

The heavyweight polyester on the wings went on beautifully, but it was a challenge to bend it round the LE. Compound curves were a bit difficult as well. However, quite pleased with the final result. As Mike says, the polyester tissue is very tough. That's wrong, it's very very tough. I'll be using it to cover the flying surfaces of my 36" span Bucker without needing to double cover when I get round to it.

The lightweight polyester is very reminiscent of prewar jap. Very light (but I don't think as light as jap) with a very distinct grain.

fb_img_1604173562850.jpg

fb_img_1604173566024.jpg

Vert easy to see the grain in this shot

Difficult to tear across the grain

So progress has been limited to the recovering of most of the tissue and finishing off the tapes on the fuselage.

Next job was to start the stitching on the wing and tailplane. I made up this little jig to wrap thread over a piece of lightweight polyester.

fb_img_1604173568958.jpg

Made an estimate of the spacing on the wing, laid down some cling film and glued the cotton to the tissue.

fb_img_1604173571915.jpg

Allowed to dry, cut a strip and the cotton fell off. Hey Ho. Added a bit more glue and tried a take 2. A little better. The strip I sliced was the same width as the ribs and has disappeared..

fb_img_1604173574606.jpg

Covered with a strip of heavyweight modelspan as a rib rape and the stitches are barely perceptible.

fb_img_1604173577094.jpg

Added a second strip but with lightweight polyester as a rib tape and the stitches are more visible but the rib tape has disappeared.

fb_img_1604173579899.jpg

Jury is still out.

Just checked and counted 17 stitches on the tailplane ribs, far higher density that the wing do will need to redo anyway.

Things have Slowed down.

More to come

Martyn

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
31/10/2020 20:07:54

Sorry - duplicate

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 31/10/2020 20:13:23

Thread: Top Flite Antares 100inch
31/10/2020 19:47:41

It's a lovely looking glider. I thought it was 100S until I saw the ailerons. I'll bet it performs really well

Martyn

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
31/10/2020 12:54:57

Thanks Danny

I need to drill for the front peg for the fin. I'll be using a biggish prop as well so should be safe. The way I look at it, a left biased fin and rudder will compensate for the lack of right side thrust.

Martyn

31/10/2020 12:01:22

Quick question for the Fury builders.

Has anyone set their fin with the LE right 

offset as per the full size?

Thanks

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 31/10/2020 12:01:52

24/10/2020 22:58:06

Not sure if you have seen this video before - 1937 Tangmere Air Display

**LINK**

Martyn

24/10/2020 16:56:16

A little more done this afternoon.

Woke very early this morning and was considering recovering the wings. Still undecided, I'll have another think after the wings have had another couple of coats of dope.

Lower diagonal tapes added on the wing and another coat of dope added. The white streaking actually looks like paint, but I don't gave a clue where it came from.

The hatch periphery was cut out.

fb_img_1603554263539.jpg

Quite pleased with that... I had bevelled the edge of the hatch and simply ran the iron into the groove to provide a nice slot.

And started adding the tapes over the longerons

fb_img_1603554266847.jpg

About 1/3 done. No stitching behind these as far as I can see from the photos that I have

More to come

Martyn

24/10/2020 11:08:47

Thanks both

Danny - yes I suspected the joins would run in the opposite difection for torsional stiffness. I have been scouring photos and have found a reference point that I can work from.

23/10/2020 21:58:22

2nd attempt...

I did glass the fus nose area using 18g cloth and Eazykote.. That went on fairly well. With that done, I added a pair of dummy access hatches in the rear fuselage. Using 3mm balsa then opened out to give a 1/32 gap.

fb_img_1603483718413.jpg

The idea is to cut a slit in the covering around the periphery once it has been covered. The hatches are quite noticeable on the full size.

With that out of the way, the fus and wings got covered in doculam and then lightweight modelspan on top,. All OK until I watershrank the tissue. The tissue took an age to dry - about 12 hours - and didn't dry evenly with it gripping the film underneath. The result was an apparent 'folding' of the tissue which didn't feel too bad. A case of gently sanding with 600 grit W&D used dry to ease off any ridges. One problem on the wings that caused me to produce kittens was a weird blotchy banding that looked like the tissue had creased badly. On close examination, it hadn't and I put the kittens back.

The tissue had been applied by using paste at the periphery and gently stretching the tissue to remove creases. In hindsight, I wish I had used thin wallpaper paste and stretched it while it was damp.

Next time, I will use polyester tissue (from FF Supplies) which you can heat shrink.

The tailplane, fin and rudder all covered OK.

fb_img_1603483710940.jpg

fin

fb_img_1603483713692.jpg

tailplane and upper centre section

fb_img_1603483728874.jpg

The fus was a bit more problematic. One panel isn't looking too good so may have to redo that one.

The final job today was to add the fabric joining diagonals using heavyweight modelspan (c.1978) Just done the top on the wing panels.

fb_img_1603483721523.jpg

You can see the weird white marks.

Next job is the lower diagonals, then stitches then rib tapes, then paint...

Coming along slowly.

More to come

Martyn

Thread: Unfairly vilified engines.
15/10/2020 10:23:07

Worst engine I have ever had was an early (round head) ASP61 2stroke. It just used to intermittently run rough, then die - usually at the most inopportune moments, like immediately after take off. Tried everything to get it run reliably - eventually consigned to the junk box..

I replaced it with a more modern SC61 and that fixed it...

Edited By Martyn K on 15/10/2020 10:23:46

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!